PDA

View Full Version : Cancel a word mid-swype

migr10156566
07-30-2010, 7:41 PM
Very often, when I'm swyping a word, I realize I've gone to the wrong letters and need to cancel the word I'm currently swyping. My only option, at this point, is to finish the word and then hold the delete key for a few seconds to remove it.

It would be ideal to be able to do a certain gesture, mid-swype, that will cancel entering that word. For example, moving your finger above the keyboard and doing a scribble (back and forth) gesture.

Ashex1
07-31-2010, 7:33 AM
Hi cherubdawg,

Interesting suggestion! The gesture you proposed is actually the caps-lock gesture (if you want to swype a word in all caps, during the swype do a loop above the keyboard).

I do not believe there is a method that covers this, what you can do is stop the swype and then long-press the delete key to erase the generated word.

SwypeGuy
08-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Hi cherubdawg,

That is actually something that was implemented in a very early version of Swype. It was defined as simply "scribbling out" the keyboard in the middle of entering a path - just going quickly back and forth across the keyboard a couple of times. I took it out for two reasons:
1) I found I could enter some words as fast as I could scribble, so that Swyping in a word really quickly could get misinterpreted as a "Cancel" gesture. I couldn't define a speed for the cancel gesture that would reliably distinguish it from just entering a word quickly.
2) I found that, most of the time, I would make mistakes like you describe only in the middle of longer, less familiar words. I found that, even when I make major mistakes, if I just ignore it and get back on track and finish Swyping the word that I want, the word will show up in the word choice list. It may not be the default word - it might even be on the second page of the word choice list - but most of the time I would find it. Picking it from the list is faster than canceling and re-entering. Usually, the word choice list will automatically appear. If it does, look for the word, select it if it's there, and otherwise cancel the list (then there is no need to delete the word). If the list doesn't appear, the double-tap the word to bring up the list. If it's not on the list, then you can just re-Swype the word (you don't even need to cancel the list), and the word you Swype will replace the old (incorrect) word. Either way, you don't have to manually delete the word.

I am also considering adding a short-cut gesture for Delete-Word that would not require waiting for a long-press to register.

Hope that helps!

migr10156566
08-21-2010, 1:57 AM
Thanks for the reply SwypeGuy. It's great to hear about the development process of a feature. I understand the reasons you give for omitting the feature, and it makes sense. On my settings, the word choice window doesn't pop up so often, but I realize this can be changed in the settings.

The next best thing would be, as you mentioned, a quick delete-word action. The delete long-press is a real speedbump to swyping, so it would be nice to quickly delete a word when you're sure you made a mistake.

MrObvious
09-01-2010, 7:33 AM
I just go in about ten circles real fast and it is faster yet.

Lortan
10-02-2010, 5:31 AM
just as looping over a key will double the letter, allow looping around the back/delete key to cancel the word.

rob.boehm
10-09-2010, 8:19 PM
Before I forget to bring it up elsewhere I agree with this. If not scribbling over the delete key just running your finger off the bottom right of the keyboard should be a pretty safe gesture to trigger an undo/ignore swype (unless I'm forgetting something).