PDA

View Full Version : Swype & Android Market

anonymous
03-10-2010, 9:37 PM
After listening to how great and watching the video of Swype. I can only hope that one day soon I'll be able to purchase Swype from the Android Market. Humble request, please release it for phones like the Droid and the always sexy Nexus One. :)

drumtrucker
03-11-2010, 12:03 AM
just purchased an almost identical product from market. I like SWYPE better, so hope the release official version for Android soon

migr8845081
03-11-2010, 1:19 AM
I am in Singapore and as Paid Apps are not available in Market for Singapore, would love to buy from swype website .

But Urgently because my beta had stopped working and I was loving it , do not want to do any thing on phone without it now.

migr8867216
03-11-2010, 4:35 PM
Hi, my name is Bill and I'm a swypeaholic. I've become addicted to the trial version and NEED the beta. NEED IT, NEED IT, NEED IT! Please help.

migr8867216
03-11-2010, 4:36 PM
Hi, my name is Bill and I'm a swypeaholic. I've become addicted to the trial version and NEED the beta. NEED IT, NEED IT, NEED IT! Please help.

migr8879143
03-11-2010, 11:22 PM
I couldn't agree more. I understand you wanting to release the application after it's perfected, but the trial version was amazing. Please let me in the closed beta or let me purchase your software. Either way, I don't want to have to go back to using the regular keyboard.

Thanks,

- Future $$

migr8879691
03-12-2010, 12:31 AM
I also got hooked using the trial version... the beta closed before I even knew there was one. Swype just stopped working and tells me to 'upgrade'. I search and search the market... nothing! Then I find out about the beta too late. So I'm screwed??

migr8655569
03-12-2010, 1:29 AM
any idea on the pricing?

migr8887403
03-12-2010, 9:21 AM
Indeed, I was loving it as well - it was *WAY* better than the stock keyboard that I am unable to use...

migr1547470
03-12-2010, 6:12 PM
The beta program supports both the Droid and the Nexus One already. As a Nexus One user myself, it is a wonderful pairing.

migr8922403
03-13-2010, 11:31 AM
I loved Swype until it stopped working. I would write more about how much I loved Swype but I hate typing without it. Please make it available somehow. HELP!!!!

migr8923079
03-13-2010, 11:40 AM
I loved the trial version. I hate typing without it. Help!!!

migr8783391
03-13-2010, 4:09 PM
I understand that Swype doesn't wish to have to support end users, but you are leaving money on the table. No business in today's economy can afford this.

Sell it as an "as it" product. No support available, or have a paid support option.

I'm willing to bet you'll get a lot of sales.

migr373408
03-22-2010, 11:02 AM
I agree with what everyone has said. I have never paid for an app but would pay anything within reason for this one. You're creating a love/hate relationship with your customers. That's half good. Please, please, please let me send you money!!!

migr9336351
03-31-2010, 2:06 PM
Miss my Swype!

migr9718755
04-21-2010, 3:29 AM
I am in full agreement! What's the hold up? GOOD GRIEF. I love the software, but am really ANGRY at Swype for not managing their company properly. You have a HUGE market of people just aching to give you money. What is the problem? Let's get this moving already.

migr10276718
05-12-2010, 8:41 AM
Got hold of the APK to install it on my HTC Desire. There's bugs with screen size and stuff due to this, but my god, I'd pay for this in the state I have it in. Amazing piece of software.

Please, for the love of god, release this to the Market so that I can give you some money!

migr10719182
05-21-2010, 1:45 PM
how do i see a complete dictionary list of words i have newly added to swype?

migr182577
06-07-2010, 11:55 AM
can't wait for a release. I tried it for some time and now I almost can't write on an normal keyboard. Meh, Swype spoiled me :/

migr12245723
06-09-2010, 3:09 AM
Hello,

I have heard many rumors that once the Swipe Beta ends (in other words, Swipe is no longer in the beta phase), it will only be available on devices that have it preinstalled on them. I must say, I would really like it if this were not true. I have been using Swipe Beta for a while now and I love it. In fact, I can hardly use the stock keyboard any more.

Please release your amazing product to the market. I (and many others) would be happy to pay for Swipe. In fact, I would want to pay for Swipe. I have a few paid apps on my Moto Droid, but I was hesitant to pay for them. I had to carefully consider what the apps were going to do and how much I would use them. Swipe is different in that I wouldn't even think twice about paying for it.

P.S. I have shown some friends of mine what Swipe can do and they all are extremely jealous that their phones do not have this functionality.

This is just some food for thought. Please consider releasing Swipe to the market. And if you do, make sure you either charge for it or have a way to donate.

Rob

migr4730491
06-09-2010, 5:07 PM
I love Swype since the first day I used it which was in February. I'm from Sweden and normally I would write sms:s in Swedish to all my Swedish friends but since Swype I've been writing mostly in English (since the beta lacks Swedish).

I was a bit disappointed to see that the new beta only added language support for italian, even though many other languages as well as Swedish are supported on the Windows Mobile version.

I think this OEM-only-strategy that you have is really bad. Release as OEM but release on Market as well so anyone can buy it. I would easily pay up to €40 for Swype with Swedish language support.

Great app guys!

migr12259259
06-10-2010, 12:25 AM
Yea it would be awesome if it did come to both the droid and droid eris

migr12274899
06-11-2010, 4:00 AM
Would be nice if the app is available for purchase on Android market.

Alternates to swype

shapewriter
slideit

Found shapewriter pretty good and I think itz free. I have been using it for more than a month now since swype beta went out. If swype not available for paid then better I go back to shapewriter.

brian.resnik
06-11-2010, 4:12 AM
For a basic explanation of our stance on the Android Market, please check out our FAQ: http://beta.swype.com/android/faq/ The short version? We'd like to, in the future, but it's just not a feasible option at present.

migr182577
06-11-2010, 9:00 AM
If there will be no market release, I'd be seriously ******.
I can understand your concerns, but I love this keyboard. I tried the other apps, but they are absolutely not usable compared to swype.
I'm willing to pay quite a lot of money for a final release on the market.
If you dont release it to the market, please at least don't expire a "final" beta release.

migr8783391
06-11-2010, 12:39 PM
I'll say it again, YOU DONT HAVE TO PROVIDE SUPPORT.

Sell it as is with a refund or a trial package. Do you think you will have that many returns? What is the percentage of users that have problems, versus successful/no problems?

Or sell with paid for support. Although paid for support generally is a loss.

So even if you just sell as is, it's easy money, look how many people are clamoring for it. And the cost isnt high versus the return. Plus, the more its out there, the more people use it, and the more a manufacturer will want it, and you can lock in a deal, and get out of the retail space. If the product is a support problem, a manufacturer isnt going to want it anyways.

Sorry folks, I've been in this business for 35 years, and your arguments are just stupid and fall contrary to simple business 101. I'm not trying to be harsh, but you folks just dont seem to get it.

You need to get it out there, and you need to drive product acceptance, either via sales and marketing, or grass roots via your users.

And history has shown again and again that grassroots can work, if you have a good enough product, and get a solid user base.

Everyone I've ever shown this product to wants it. And I'm a VERY sophisticated user, and I use it 100%, even though my motodroid has a keyboard.

Either that, or there's something majorly wrong with your product, I dont see it on the board.

brian.resnik
06-11-2010, 4:52 PM
Jeff,

While you're right that we don't HAVE to provide support, we all feel that releasing our product to the general public without a proper support infrastructure isn't how we want to market Swype. The fact is, even with this beta which is provided as-is, we've wound up needing to provide a tremendous amount of support to our users. I mean, you were here for the original beta release. It was NUTS! One licensing problem turned into hundreds of hours of support requests. Disgruntled users - whether they got our app for free or not - isn't something we're comfortable leaving unattended to.

I'll also add that a lot of your ideas are geared towards current users, while we're looking forward not just 1 or 2 years, but 5 and 10 years. Our goal at the moment is to have Swype as the defacto standard for touchscreen devices, and that takes OEM participation. While I don't disagree with any of your points, we're still a very small company, and at this point, focusing our efforts (and believe me, our energies are stretched to their limit right now) on OEM partnerships is the most practical and efficient use of our time.

And of course we also have obligations to our existing partners that we have to fulfill, contractual and otherwise.

The fact is, we DO want to release on the market, but right now, we're just not comfortable with the proposition. We definitely appreciate your input, and users like yourself definitely help to make it clear just how high demand is for Swype. Don't consider what I've said here as a "screw you, we're not going to do that." It's definitely more in the realm of "Man, I wish we could do that right now. Maybe it's time to start looking in that direction more aggressively"

migr2412333
06-11-2010, 5:37 PM
Honestly, this makes so little sense as a policy, and each time it gets explained it seems to make less and less sense to me. As I remember the "NUTS" aspect of the beta release came mostly from registration and downloading issues and associated error messages associated with trying to control and time-limit the bata. The previous officially/unofficially leaked version that had been supported here on a "wink wink nudge nudge" basis seemed to be largely bug-free and self-explanatory to users. As far as I can tell, the only thing wrong with it was that it was missing a few features that the developers thought it should have, but the users seemed happy to live without.

Please rethink this strategy.

migr9718755
06-11-2010, 8:51 PM
Too little too late. Swype, you missed the boat. With Shapewriter and even several other alternatives, I don't really care about Swype anymore. You could have made this different had you responded to the demand initially. But, as the old saying goes, you snooze you lose.

brian.resnik
06-11-2010, 9:17 PM
David,

Some of the problems we faced with the beta launch went directly to addressing problems with our licensing system as a whole (beyond just the beta).

Dennis,

We hate to see you go to one of our competitors, but everyone has their own needs and preferences. Hopefully we'll see you back here some time in the future, when Swype is included by default on a device you purchase :)

migr12318517
06-15-2010, 3:16 AM
I don't get it. I love this product and now I can use it anymore. Who is running this company? You have people wanting to throw money at you. Release this to the public for the Droid, Incredible, Evo ect. Put it on the android market please!

brian.resnik
06-15-2010, 3:21 AM
saintpatrickw,

We give a fairly straightforward explanation of our reasoning for not releasing on the Android Market yet in our FAQ: http://beta.swype.com/android/faq/

migr12318517
06-15-2010, 3:35 AM
I have now found "shapewriter". It is not as pretty but it is just as effective. I understand the part about support in your FAQ section. You want to be able to provide support for the product. This is just an app. There are ripoffs of your product on the market already. I'll be fine until Swype gets it's act together. I really would prefer to give you guys my business and hope someday you will allow everyone to have access to this fantastic product.

migr8716015
06-15-2010, 4:13 AM
Brian - I appreciate the time and effort that you all are putting into this product. I, for one, am happy that you're ironing out the kinks with this, as I know that it is not easy to get it to a fully releasable by just snapping your fingers.

Also, being one of the many folks on here who *have* been having issues, and who is a legitimate tester for the Motorola DROID, I have to say "Thanks!" for all your hard work. I am glad to see all of the issues slowly disappearing and the code becoming that much more robust.

migr12322779
06-15-2010, 1:20 PM
I understand some of the challenges you face with your business model. However taking into account the income potential, and the fact that it was running with no issues for me (Droid) just hours ago, the fact that I can't just pay to continue to use it as is even acknowledging it as still a beta product can only make me feel like you've completely dropped the ball.

You will not see me buying a Swype enabled phone for quite a long time with my contract length, and unless it coincidentally happens to be on the phone I next decide to purchase in the future, I won't ever. I love it but it's not big enough to be the deciding factor between phones.

"We'd like to someday, we hope to see you on a Swype enabled phone in the future!" is rhetoric that is too little too late. If you were not prepared to either continue the beta process or release as direct download, you shouldn't have launched the beta. Simple. Common. Sense.

Instead you are actively driving what would be loyal customers to your competitors. Including me. You managed to make a product that completely revolves around added convenience the most inconvenient thing to get that I've ever wanted to buy for my phone. Congratulations.

migr12323963
06-15-2010, 1:31 PM
i totally agree... even in the beta form, the product has worked PERFECTLY for me. every once in awhile a minor hiccup or two, but what app doesn't? i know that its a keyboard and that theres much more to it then just "making it work". but the positives of having swype heavily outweigh the negatives and I am sure everyone agrees that even in its current state, people will happily pay for the product. i know i will.

brian.resnik
06-15-2010, 1:31 PM
Reg,

I don't understand what you mean by "not prepared to continue the beta process." Since launching the beta earlier this year, we haven't had a day go by where there was no beta available for our registered users. If you were using the beta after downloading it from another site (like the XDA forums?) then you were using an unlicensed, unauthorized copy of Swype that was being distributed without our permission. We can hardly be held responsible when our pirated software expires - a feature we use to make sure old versions don't stay in the populace.

If you haven't yet, you should register at http://beta.swype.com That way, once your account has been activated, you'll never again have to worry about not having Swype on your Android device!

migr182577
06-15-2010, 2:30 PM
It's really interesting to see how you guys throw away the opportunity to make a great userbase. congratulations.

I'd happily pay 10$ just to use the final version from the market. Support? Who cares? Release a stable product, update it when it's needed and dig up a community forum. Users will be glad to help other users.
Sure, there are problems only you can help, but are the contractors paying so much more per phone than an release on the market would? Is your support that expensive?

Your product is more than great. Even as a beta, it never crashed on me. I never had any problems. In my opinion clones like shapwriter aren't even to the quality of swype. They. Are. No. Alternative. To. Swpye. Period.

The more I think about it, the more I'm ****** I ever tried Swype. The keyboard is probably the most awkward thing on a touchscreen, and I was really glad when I first used Swype and typing on a touchscreen was fun again. Everytime I have to use a normal keyboard, I'm feeling slow and it doesn't feel right.
Thanks Swpye. Thanks for nothing. I wouldn't have used your app if I would have known that I would never have the chance of using the final product.
Oh, I could just buy a new phone with included swype? great! My android phone is almost a year old, yea, pfff.... who uses such an old thing anyway?

</rant>

brian.resnik
06-15-2010, 2:44 PM
SkaveRat:

The fact is, you're using the same product right now as you would be using if we COULD release it on the Android Market. As I've said before, we have NO intention of stopping support of the beta program. The beta is exactly what you WOULD get on the market if we released it there. There are certain features that are IMPOSSIBLE to implement without OEM support, so the ONLY way you CAN get a "final version" is by buying a phone with it pre-installed.

I'm still confused as to why everyone is so upset that we're not releasing it on the Android Market when we're giving away the beta for free. Anyone can sign up for the beta, and we just began accepting the 40k registered-but-not-activated users this morning.

We definitely appreciate all the enthusiasm and support, and the fact that people think Swype can stand on its own, but the fact is that we're invested in an OEM business model, and at this point it would be irresponsible to everyone involved - from our investors to our users - to try to shift our company strategy at this stage.

migr182577
06-15-2010, 3:23 PM
the problem it, that a closed beta is not the same as a market app.
you see, betas have the tendency to be stopped some time in the future. We as a user can't tell if it's next week, month or year. All we know is, that it will stop and we won't have the chance of using swype afterwards.

If the current beta is what would a market version would be, and we can all use it, what is the problem of releasing it to the market in the future?

OEM releases will have functionality that the normal version won't have. That's okay. I'm not sad that I don't have the Sense UI from HTC on my vodafone mobile.
****, I can understand the OEM contractors if they don't want the same feature they bought to be availiable on the market for everyone.

But hey, if users NEED TO pirate you app instead of buying it like they would, that's fine too for most people I think...

migr1658086
06-15-2010, 5:06 PM
Brian,
Why would it be irresponsible on your (Swype) behalf to release 2 versions? One for OEM with OEM-specific features and on a Market as a "lite" version that is a copy of current beta?
Also, I have to agree with SkaveRat. While it is absolutely awesome that you guys have a free beta, it is going to expire sometime in the future. If we buy it, we have it until we switch to another phone with another OS on it.
Your beta is absolutely amazing! Ever since I used Swype for the first time, I was hooked. When I have to use several apps (that are landscape only) and I have to use a slide-out hardware keyboard, I have to spend some time thinking and remember on how to use it. It's kind of like if you were driving a stick shift car for 10 years and then switched over to an automatic, you are going to have a few moments when you're sitting in your car trying to remember how to turn it on if you don't have a clutch...
Anyhow, like most users here, I would gladly pay for this keyboard. It is one of the most essential pieces of software that i absolutely must have on my device.

brian.resnik
06-15-2010, 5:26 PM
dimaj:

I meant mostly that it would irresponsible to attempt to reallocate resources at this juncture. Most people don't realize just how much time, energy, money, and manpower go into launching and maintaining an interface method like Swype. It's not just a regular app; it literally interacts with almost every other piece of software on your device. We understand that many users would be okay with not receiving support, but if even 20% of users weren't okay with that, it could present a huge public relations problem. So for us to start supporting a direct-to-consumer sales model would require a massive shift of resources on our end, and that's something we don't feel comfortable doing at this time.

And as I said before, we have absolutely, positively NO intention of EVER letting the beta expire without providing our users with a way to get Swype. Let me say it bluntly: Barring extreme (and I mean extreme as in we somehow go bankrupt) circumstances, YOU WILL NOT LOSE THE ABILITY TO USE SWYPE if you're an active beta tester. We know damn well that giving you all something and then taking it away is the quickest way to get a bad rap. We won't let that happen :D

migr12331893
06-16-2010, 2:00 AM
Hi! first, just wanted to say thank you for even having a Beta program, thats awesome!! took me all of 5 minutes to install and get it working on both my Nexus's. That said, I also wanted to say I totally understand your stance on putting the keyboard into the android market, and also, if you ever do decide, I could use a job so I volunteer for your tech support job!

Again thank you for even having a Beta program for us to try out your wonderful product! Thank you!!!
Keep up the good work!

migr12338041
06-16-2010, 1:55 PM
"We know **** well that giving you all something and then taking it away is the quickest way to get a bad rap."

Here is the problem. Swype already has the "bad rap" you are referring to.

Why? Because signup availability is very restricted. One day it's available, then for the next two months it's not. So what do people do? They get pirated copies. This should not be a surprise. It is the nature people, whether good or bad. After a while... the copies expire. And people are angry.

Why? Doesn't it seem illogical that Swype should be held responsible for an illegally obtained app? Certainly... if there was a way to actually obtain it legally on a consistent basis.

Because the beta is closed and so often unavailable, you have literally tens of thousands of people just begging you to let them pay you money. But they can't. And they usually can't join the beta. And the pirated copies keep expiring. So yes... they are angry. And Swype gets the blame.

The solution? Put it on the market for a high price. $10 or so. That way you won't have to support very many people. That way people may whine about price, but at least they can get it legally. If you really do get a lot of sales, I'm sure you can hire extra support personnel with the extra revenue.

Honestly, you are "supporting" a lot of illegal users anyway. Shouldn't you at least get some money for all of the work that you do?

For that matter, why are you so worried about support? There are thousands of apps, many of which are keyboards (some of which are very similar even) that are supported on the market. All you have to do is provide updates to fix problems. ....Isn't that what you are doing anyway? Very devoted developers will start a forum to help with support. ...Isn't that what you have anyway?

So what exactly is your fear? The cynic in me thinks that Samsung, TMobile and such have locked you into a contract, and a market release would breach the contract. Care to confirm or deny this? If that's the truth, stop hiding behind weak support arguments and admit it.

If that's not the truth.... will you please take my money? I'd pay good money for Swype, I really would. Shapewriter and SlideIT are crap compared to Swype.

brian.resnik
06-16-2010, 2:09 PM
Danation:

I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of....

Ok, it's a little bit of both :) The reality is, yes, we have contractual obligations (I think I've said that elsewhere actually), but the other points hold equally true. While we realize that a lot of other apps don't provide good user support, that's not how to like to run our business! Good support is important to us, and if we can't offer it, it's a show-stopper.

As of this morning, the beta is available to the public, though. So at least there's no more availability issue! :)

migr12340963
06-16-2010, 4:34 PM
Brian... how long should it take for me to get my download email? I signed up for the Droid Beta and am still waiting for the email download. Thanks

brian.resnik
06-16-2010, 4:48 PM
Brandon: emails can take as long as 2 or 3 hours today. If you've waited a loooong time you can request another one by logging in at http://beta.swype.com

migr12342869
06-16-2010, 6:36 PM
I love Swype. I enrolled in the new Beta today and already can't imagine going back to the regular keyboard as I am sooo much faster and accurate using Swype. Please do consider a version for the more popular android phones on the market like the Droid lines at least! Believe me, I understand your stated business model as a small company but having some additional money coming in from android market sales should always look good to the investors?!

migr12342759
06-16-2010, 6:39 PM
I. LOVE. IT. Can't put my phone down because of it. It's amazing, thank you SO much. Having said that, I did experience a registration error a good three or four times before it finally started working fully. I even closed all my other tasks and had a "blank slate" for all my windows (no widgets, shortcuts, etc.). Eventually, after I installed SaveLog and was going through it one last time, it worked. HTC Incredible.

migr12342759
06-16-2010, 6:44 PM
Oh, and yes, would very much purchase an Android Marketplace version...

migr9268247
06-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Thank you for the latest beta release. I had Swype on my Droid back in December and I absolutely fell in love with it, but the beta ran out. I now have it again and am getting reunited with the most valuable app on my phone. You have a wonderful product here and I am one of your biggest fans. When you want money, let me know. I'll gladly hand it over. Hope it's soon!

migr12349561
06-17-2010, 9:02 AM
I have just downloaded the Android version on my Magic phone and its is brilliant I love it I tried typing all types and it recognized 99% fantastic programme LOVE It

migr12351035
06-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Here's the deal... I have 18 years of IT Admin experience ranging from Help Desk to a CTO position until we sold the startup to a VERY large company. Now, I will work for you in your IT department IF you release this unbelievably, fantastic, literally game changing technology to the Android store. Deal?

brian.resnik
06-17-2010, 3:12 PM
dracman65,

Did you know that we're hiring? :) http://swypeinc.com/jobs.html

migr12355477
06-17-2010, 4:36 PM
would really like the android beta to be also in french, i've tried in english and it seems to work great but since I mostly typing in french it's a bit useless.

migr12362637
06-18-2010, 7:53 AM
Works brilliantly on my Sony Ericsson X10 :) how did i live without it? good work guys :) Will buy once available!

brian.resnik
06-18-2010, 2:09 PM
Saz,

Don't worry. We have no intention of leaving our beta users high and dry. You'll definitely have a way to continue using Swype no matter what happens :)

migr12394167
06-21-2010, 1:34 AM
i love swype it works perfectly on my X10 way better then the normal keyboard, what happens when the beta version ends? will pay definitely buy it when it becomes available on the android market

migr12398851
06-21-2010, 12:16 PM
I just downloaded Swype on my Nexusone running on 'Froyo' firmware unrooted and it's working fine so far :) First time i use a touch screen phone (currently still using BB curve 8900 as my main phone) and first time i came across an app like this apart from the using the stylus on my iPAQ 3850 which i never got the hang of scribbling text and getting it right is really hard. Swype is really different, this is scribbling on keypads...lol.

migr12412491
06-22-2010, 12:37 PM
I really enjoy Swype... I previously used other "swype" like keyboards where you draw key to key, but Swype is by far the best of them all!! I would purchase it from the android market as soon as I found out it was in their! Or I'd donate, whichever... I'm currently using the HTC Hero on Sprint and it works perfectly!

migr12472713
06-26-2010, 11:50 AM
I guess I must have found out about Swype at exactly the right time. I saw it on a commercial and then checked it out last night. I downloaded and installed it on my phone (HTC EVO 4G). I then told my wife that she HAD to have it. When she got home, she tried to get it and it told her the BETA was closed. Whew... glad I got it when I did.

I do have on question though... when I enabled the Swype keyboard, my device told me that it may be able to capture things such as user names and passwords! Is this true? Does swypeinc collect data that I have swyped? Or is my phone just being protective of me?

migr12450787
06-28-2010, 1:37 PM
Running the SWYPE beta on my HTC Desire. Yes, it messes up multi-touch (which I'm assuming you'll sort out) but I'm willing to sacrifice it for the time being as your product is absolute genius: a completely new paradigm for data entry. Wow, I'm blown away. This is what touch screens were designed for... Fantastic work.

brian.resnik
07-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Derek: Thanks! ^_^

Robert: Yeah, that's just the folks at Google caring about your privacy. Swype CAN not and WILL not send sensitive information back to us.

migr8638671
07-05-2010, 5:01 PM
I've been using Swype since before the official beta. Still using it within the current beta (on Nexus One) and seriously *love* the app. I have seen no problems with it in it's current incarnation. I would gladly pay for a non-Beta version of Swype.

migr12679887
07-06-2010, 8:45 AM
Its working like a charm on my Motorola Milestone with android 2.1 update1. Too bad its not in my language (Dutch), so I could use it for real. But I did practice with it in English, and it just works so good. So keep working on it guys, and it will get even better!

migr12860479
07-13-2010, 5:35 PM
Swype is a brilliant solution for typing and I'm pretty sure that thousands up to millions of Android users will certainly buy it. This is deal done.Just compare to better keyboard that is not great and cost 3 dollars and sold over 250000 downloads. Please attend the humble request of anxious fans that want to buy it really bad. I'm pretty sure that your investor will see it with good eyes.

migr1382698
07-17-2010, 4:07 AM
I've been using the Android beta on my Dell Streak since just after I bought it (about a week after the launch here in the UK), and have been very impressed with it. I'm hoping that Dell will license it.

migr13067907
07-19-2010, 12:13 AM
I just got the HTC Wildfire. Is there a version specific for the HTC Wildfire or any Android version will work?

migr13244145
07-25-2010, 4:49 PM
I have the Omnia II since last year (first phone with swype for those who don't know). I am going to keep my phone but also get a new DroidX. My question is, have there been ANY updates since the first Swype? If so does the new DroidX have it and will I being able to update my Omnia II?

migr13247145
07-25-2010, 7:06 PM
Will Swype ever be released as a separate app or just be added to phones?

migr13276805
07-27-2010, 4:00 AM
I hear what your saying on the FAQ about too small of a company to allow general downloads to the public, yadda yadda. But I just want to repeat at you (for the ten-thousandth time, I'm sure) that it's really frustrating to hear about how wonderful Swype is ON THE DEVICE I HAVE (HTC Incredible, see CNET review of it where they wax poetic about Swype) but not be able to obtain it, beta or paid or otherwise.

robertoruiz
07-27-2010, 9:49 PM
I am from Mexico. I bought the new Nextel Motorola i1 (it has swype and I love it). I need to buy another smartphone. I only have two alternatives; LG GW620 or Motorola MB200. Do I am going to find swype on them? Let me tell you that the decision is based on swype and not in the phone (jajajaja) so please help me to decide!!

migr13637703
08-01-2010, 2:12 AM
Got the Droid X. My first 'screen' keyboard phone. I was struggling using the keyboard until I set up the swype function. Oh my gosh!!! I am sending these developers a virtual hug. Totally ROCKS. Thank you!! You smarty pants programers you:-)

migr13715343
08-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Swype beta does not appear to be working on my Evo after I downloaded Android 2.2. Any help?

migr13750103
08-03-2010, 4:22 PM
@Peter I had the same problem. I just logged in to Swype.com on my PC and resent the e-mail and reinstalled Swype.

migr13760713
08-04-2010, 12:54 AM
For EVO after Froyo update, uninstall and reinstall.

migr13760923
08-04-2010, 12:23 PM
On Moto Droid after uninstalling then attempting to reinstall, Swype Beta states that my device ID does not match the one registered and I can't install it. I'm DYING, this SlideIT thing is a lame alternative

migr13806363
08-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Love Swype. Wondering if the issue with the EVO and Android 2.2 is a bit larger. I did the full uninstall/reinstall after upgrading my EVO to 2.2 on Monday (late PM). Today (Thursday) I was having some of the same problems again. Did the uninstall/reinstall and it seems to be working again. Not sure what made the problems re-appear after 2 days.

migr13806363
08-05-2010, 1:16 PM
OK, there is a reoccurring problem with Swype on a EVO with Android 2.2. The symptom is that while you enter text using the Swype keyboard, the text is never transferred to the actual text box. I saw this when I first upgraded to Android 2.2 As to what causes this, I'm not sure. It seems to be associated with the uninstall of some programs or the activation of new features. In this case, I just activated the hot spot function of the phone.

Now - here is the quick work around that doesn't require you to uninstall/reinstall Swype.

1. Open a new email
2. Select and hold a text field until the "Input Method" dialog box appears (Just like when you activated Swype)
3. Select Input Method and change it to "Touch Input"
4. Go back to the email and type something using the classic keyboard.
5. Time to re-activate Swype - Select and hold a text input box until the "Input Method" dialog box appears
6. Select Input Method and change it to Swype (Just like you did when you originally activated Swype).
7. Close the dialog box

You are good to go again.

migr13748219
08-05-2010, 3:36 PM
Just putting my $.02 in. Really would love for this to come out! Hate getting used to it, but not knowing if it'll be released or not.

migr13748219
08-05-2010, 3:37 PM
btw - I'm seeing the same issue that others are seeing on the EVO / froyd. From time to time it's not working correctly, and the fix is to switch inputs and switch back..

ryws81
08-06-2010, 4:22 PM
yes put swype in the market! i have had the beta and now i need more. i will pay and like it.... like it hard

jasonconley
08-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Very sad I missed the initial beta for Droid. Old fingers need swyping badly! Hope that you will open new beta soon. Also would pay immediately to have this on my Droid.

Dan
08-08-2010, 7:01 PM
I'd gladly pay for swype on the market - foraging around for beta apk's is a bummer - $20? no problem!

FosgateElite
08-11-2010, 5:37 PM
My wife has this on her Galaxy S and it makes me jealous for it on my Nexus One.

migr13748219
08-12-2010, 4:22 PM
What's up with the beta? I see 1.60 floating the web, but would rather stick to the offical beta.. any chance of an update?

Anonymous
08-17-2010, 1:22 AM
such a wonderful app that I am worried that the beta will no longer be available for us. I don't mind paying for it on my HTC Legend, its one of the most wonderful app that I've had the priviledge of using

Lakefan
08-19-2010, 2:23 PM
Need it for my Incredible...if it's available for other HTC Android devices why is it not available for all HTC Androids?

jon
08-23-2010, 12:45 AM
I dont get why you are holding it back???? just put it out there please

steve
08-23-2010, 5:04 PM
I'm totally new to the Android world so this may be redundant but, if you have to tweak it for each machine, I sure hope you'll include the new Garminphone. I'm really eager to have Swype on it.

DanielO
08-23-2010, 9:17 PM
PLEASE JUST MAKE SWYPE FOr EvErY PHONE...just put it on the android market so we can buy it.

Scifan
08-24-2010, 4:47 PM
I took part of the Swype Demo, and agree that this is an awesome tool... when will it be available in the Market?

Xcaliber
08-29-2010, 2:40 PM
Hmm... well, i've read through the comments here and I see that the beta will always be available... so err... why can I currently not get it and it's been offline since june... this seems a bit converse to what's been stated :-S, i would happily pay for swype, but you seem intent on giving it away... fair enough... so where can i get it? or do i have to get a pirated version... or give a competitor funding, thus meaning they can improve their service and therefore perform as a more threatening alternative... if Bill Gates were dead (god rest his hypothetical soul), he'd be turning in his grave! :-P

Basically, i don't see how this business plan makes sense, without changing a thing you could just make the beta permanently available whether it costs money or not, then confirm the deals for OEM and by then you can seal off beta releases (the people that got it initially can keep it however). SO anyone that wants it on their current phone gets it (you can make them confirm a contract where they reckognise that it is not an OFFICIALLY suported app) and then you make all that wonga from the OEM releases when the phones are released, without conflicting with your OEM contracts, cause if anyone wants it on a new phone, they'll have to buy one with preinstalled swype, which is what you want :-D.

Thus: Those with the smart phones now can get it without fear of ever losing it... and I mean all of them, i get you have no intention of EVER discontinuing the beta, don't! but where the **** is it atm?

(unless I've missed a trick and you've literally just done this :-S makes me sad if you did, i bought a HTC Desire two days ago...)

brian.resnik
08-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Hey Xcaliber,

We've had open registrations for the Swype beta for Android at 2 separate times now. Once for just over a week at the very beginning of the beta, and once again for a week in a June. Our plan is for EXISTING beta users to be able to continue to be able to download updates to the Swype beta for Android. This may change in the future, we may not be able to continue to support the Swype Beta for Android forever, at that time we will consider alternatives. Also, we do cannot open the beta up to everyone because a) we can only support a limited number of beta users, and b) giving it away to everyone dilutes it's value to the OEMs who pay our bills which allows us to continue improving Swype.

Hope that clears things up a bit for you!

hanschke
09-01-2010, 7:54 AM
nice idea to get an updated beta. i only get 1.54 without german language and what build is the latest 1.61 with german or 1.64 witout german?

naratcliffe
09-01-2010, 8:56 AM
My original post (on the other thread in this forum) is below. After reading a good portion of this thread, I'm going to respond one more time.

I am an economist currently doing my MBA in Competitive Strategy. I have to say, I've never seen a "case" like this before. I truly don't understand the approach that this company is taking towards its business model. I do understand, however, that you've sold out to OEM manufacturers for the "easy money," whereby you include Swype on new phones and screw existing Android users.

I'm sure you have considered this, but let me give you my point of view. When a new customer is deciding between phones, Swype is not the determining factor. Chances are, the customer is swayed one way or another by things such as speed, feel, or perhaps most importantly, testimonials from friends/colleagues (I have convinced 4 friends alone to get the Droid Incredible).

I really think you sold out to the OEM manufacturers for money. This is not the right business model for your product.

I am frustrated with your complete nonchalance towards something that is so obvious that it makes me sit here and cry. Do you have any idea what is right in front of you? Entrepreneurs DREAM of a situation where people are begging for their product. You are missing the boat.

I do, however, have a solution. I pull from my video-game-beta-testing past on this one. How about you give existing beta users, say, 10 pass-keys to hand out do their friends. As you can see in my original post below, I have seriously told 20 people about Swype, and they almost get mad at me that it's not available to them (seriously, I show it to them on my phone and then they are like "wtf dude? why do you do that to me?").

By giving out keys, it enables referrals which starts the grassroots movement you want, and keeps the beta count in check.

That's how I would handle it, at least. I hope you consider alternatives to this whole "closed beta" thing.

I have been telling everyone about Swype. All of my colleagues and friends are getting Android phones, and we share our experiences with apps, etc. So when I tell them about Swype and they are not able to get it, it's kind of frustrating.

Any idea when the open beta will start? I realize it's a process with the development, but I really think word-of-mouth marketing is your best tool right now (I've told upwards of 20 people), and the fact that they can't go and get it right away means the idea dies right there. Sure, they may come back to it, but I think the marketing buzz you'd generate from an open beta would be invaluable.

I'm a huge fan of this application, and it was deciding factor between a Blackberry and my Droid Incredible. I was very wary of the on-screen keyboard, but this makes tapping an on-screen keyboard completely obsolete. I'm not sure what your pricing strategy will be for the final version, but I would easily pay $100 for this. That's how much I value the ability to Swype.

brian.resnik
09-01-2010, 10:51 AM
naratcliffe,

I want to point out that the #1 reason we have gone with an OEM distribution model is the extreme amount of customization that is required for each device we deploy on to make sure that every feature works all the time. Variations in touchscreen drivers, device hardware, and OS implementation have drastic impacts on how Swype functions, since its more than just an app; the keyboard is the most highly used system element on a device. Believe me, if we had our druthers, Swype would be available in 100% working condition to everyone, everywhere. But more important than that is making sure that every user who has Swype gets the complete, bug-free experience.

We're constantly investigating other distribution models, and deploying via the Android Market is something we continue to talk about on nearly a daily basis. There are some of us within the company who insist it's a must, while others insist it's an impossibility. The discussion rages on, and we'll continue to work on deploying Swype in the best way possible, whatever that may be.

As to your "guest key" suggestion, I personally think it's a great idea. I'll pass it along to our development and management team and see how plausible it is. Don't forget as well that we have existing contracts with our partners that may prevent us from handing out additional beta copies (it's one of the main reasons we don't provide an open beta. Can't give away for free what we expect our partners to pay for, ya know?)

Thanks for the feedback!

MrObvious
09-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Don't forget Swype gets their money too from where they sold the original T9 concept ($250 million I believe) and so they already have some working capital. Plus there needs to be some work made to the Android version before you can safely say it's ready to go on the Market. How many times do you get "nit" instead of "not"? Or how many times do you get "too" instead of "to"? We are test driving their product and they want to make sure all the kinks are ironed out before releasing a version you can buy on the market that runs good.

I feel they are wise to take their time and not rush the product out. That is the way a program should be designed. If you have ever taken a programming class even you know how immensely hard it is to write a simple program. Now imagine doing a more complex one. I heard one story of where someone did a semester just building a basic web browser and it took the whole semester working late nights and all nighters to just finish it in time. Programming is not easy, plus bugs and security flaws can be hard to track down. They want to get it right before they release the version on the market. How would you feel if you get a highly hyped product released only to find it doesn't work right? How many people were upset over "Antennagate" for the iPhone4 and it's antenna flaw?

naratcliffe
09-01-2010, 11:57 AM
I want to point out that the #1 reason we have gone with an OEM distribution model is the extreme amount of customization that is required for each device we deploy on to make sure that every feature works all the time. Variations in touchscreen drivers, device hardware, and OS implementation have drastic impacts on how Swype functions, since its more than just an app; the keyboard is the most highly used system element on a device. Believe me, if we had our druthers, Swype would be available in 100% working condition to everyone, everywhere. But more important than that is making sure that every user who has Swype gets the complete, bug-free experience.

I understand the amount of customization involved. I think in this case a roll-out release on an "as-available" basis for each Android phone would be most appropriate. The only thing that might negate my argument is if signing these deals with the OEM manufacturers was necessary to receive technical information/data necessary to modifying Swype. In that case, your contracts should never have included any sort of exclusivity regarding other methods of distribution.

As for your stance on customer service, I think it is what is killing your potential at the moment. Like I said, I have read most of this thread, and your cookie-cutter answer to everyone who asks for Swype to be in the Marketplace is always regarding customer service and that you don't want to sacrifice it. However, as others have, I disagree with this as well. I think apps for the most part are self-sustaining and more of an "at-your-own-risk" program. From all that I've read most people on here seem to have no problem with the program. I can't imagine your customer service lines are out of control after having been in beta for months and having updated the program. Which leads me to...

We're constantly investigating other distribution models, and deploying via the Android Market is something we continue to talk about on nearly a daily basis. There are some of us within the company who insist it's a must, while others insist it's an impossibility. The discussion rages on, and we'll continue to work on deploying Swype in the best way possible, whatever that may be.

Someone else had suggested you act like all the other Apps in the marketplace and just provide constant updates-- with 3G those updates take a matter of seconds to download and install. Hell, my stupid Alarm Clock app has an update every week! I don't see why Swype can't do the same thing.

As to your "guest key" suggestion, I personally think it's a great idea. I'll pass it along to our development and management team and see how plausible it is. Don't forget as well that we have existing contracts with our partners that may prevent us from handing out additional beta copies (it's one of the main reasons we don't provide an open beta. Can't give away for free what we expect our partners to pay for, ya know?)

This makes no sense. Aren't your partners just as vested as you are in your own success? The Guest Key Beta would conjure a SERIOUS amount of grassroots support. They should be backing whatever is in your best interest.

(it's one of the main reasons we don't provide an open beta. Can't give away for free what we expect our partners to pay for, ya know?)

Hold on. Beta = a temporary period of time where something is tested. TEMPORARY being the key word. Get the beta to as many people as possible, and when it's done and you have them hooked, shut it down and release the full version, and charge $10, $20, $30 for it. From what I can see, due to everyone's passion about Swype, even if you charged $30 for it, you would probably achieve a 95% retention rate from the Beta transition.

You have said before that the main reason for not doing an open beta is your worry about providing customer service. I think that's bullsh*t and your main reason actually came out here-- you're worried about giving it away for free, OR you are restricted from doing so in your contracts. But like I said, Beta = temporary and you should be worried about building your brand loyalty right now, not managing the beta.

Your company is in a powerful position; you are pissing people off and yet they are still begging you to release. In more informal terms, "your sh*t don't stink." Don't mess this up.

[My opinion is you have a bunch of old guys who don't understand how this new business model works making the big decisions (VC's? That would make sense)]

naratcliffe
09-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Don't forget Swype gets their money too from where they sold the original T9 concept ($250 million I believe) and so they already have some working capital. Plus there needs to be some work made to the Android version before you can safely say it's ready to go on the Market. How many times do you get "nit" instead of "not"? Or how many times do you get "too" instead of "to"? We are test driving their product and they want to make sure all the kinks are ironed out before releasing a version you can buy on the market that runs good.

I feel they are wise to take their time and not rush the product out. That is the way a program should be designed. If you have ever taken a programming class even you know how immensely hard it is to write a simple program. Now imagine doing a more complex one. I heard one story of where someone did a semester just building a basic web browser and it took the whole semester working late nights and all nighters to just finish it in time. Programming is not easy, plus bugs and security flaws can be hard to track down. They want to get it right before they release the version on the market. How would you feel if you get a highly hyped product released only to find it doesn't work right? How many people were upset over "Antennagate" for the iPhone4 and it's antenna flaw?

I applaud your support of the program and the company. However, "taking your time" = failure especially in this competitive landscape and dealing with this technology. This kind of stuff is FLEETING at best.

brian.resnik
09-01-2010, 12:31 PM
You might actually be surprised as to the number of support requests we receive. Even though the beta has been clearly stated as being an "as-is" product, we get several dozen emails a day on top of the forum activity we receive. This doesn't even take into account the requests that our OEM partners receive for support with Swype from our PreLoad users. On top of that, I'm the only person available to handle these requests! (We're still a small company of just over 40 employees, with the majority of those working on language development, bug testing, and contract negotiation. We are quite literally stretched to our limit at this point.)

There's a large part of me - as an enthusiast first and employee second (that's how I got my job, heh) - that agrees with you wholeheartedly. At the same time, having had the opportunity to come from one side of the user-developer relationship to the other, I can tell you that things aren't quite as black and white as they seem.

For example, we use the term "beta" in a slightly different way than most. For us, our beta program isn't a temporary, pre-release version of the software prepping it for public release. Instead, our beta program is used as a test-bed for new features, new methods of implementing existing features, and a sounding board for ideas (including this one. Don't misunderstand, this kind of conversation is very valuable to us). Remember that we already HAVE a general release implementation of Swype for PreLoad on our partner devices, so we're not "ramping up" to a full launch.

As to the Android Market, it really IS something we're constantly looking at, ESPECIALLY for the beta. Distribution via the Android Market would be ideal, but we also are restricted by Google's Terms of Service from providing an "installer" on the market. What I mean is, we'd have to develop a method of applying our licensing through the Android Market installation itself - we aren't allowed to provide our installer on the market and use that to install Swype and its licensing. This isn't SUCH a huge problem, but more than anything we just don't have the man-hours to handle that transition at this point.

You're right that our partners have a vested interest in the popularity and growth of our product, but you also have to remember that part of our partnership contracts includes the original capital we received to develop Swype in the first place. Even before we had a working version of Swype, we already had obligations to our partners who provided a ridiculously generous amount of funding based solely on their belief in the value of Swype. You're also correct that part of the requirements for receiving certain technical information about the platforms we deploy on was signing a contract that includes Non-Disclosure Agreements.

As to the old guys running the company...well...can't it be a little bit of both? :) We have a LOT of internal discussion on all of these issues, with people from all woks of life contributing to the conversation.

The end-run here is that the beta is provided more than anything as a way to please the users who can't or won't be buying new devices soon that include Swype. But our primary business model remains one of OEM preload. And have you noticed that the number of NEW Android devices released in the past few months that DON'T include Swype preloaded has been steadily decreasing? Our goal is to take Swype beyond just mobile platforms, and get it onto literally every device that uses a touchscreen interface. Part of that process is developing brand ubiquity in the market, and we think we're doing a pretty good job of that so far.

I don't want to give the impression that we're blowing you - and those who think like you - off. We hear you. All the information posted here is relayed to our management team and discussed weekly. The simple fact that this conversation took place makes a difference. Just don't expect changes to happen overnight. Businesses are slow moving beasts ^_^

ADDENDUM: One of the most important things I forgot to point out is the potential for internal implosion. Growing pains are hitting us VERY hard right now. We have just over 40 employees, most of whom are working overtime, and we're hiring as fast as we can while maintaining the integrity of our development team. I cannot stress enough how dangerous a time this is for us in terms of the tasks we choose to take on. As you've pointed out, there is incredibly high demand for Swype right now, and we're working as hard as we can to meet that demand with a product that we feel is worthy of distribution. Do we want to provide Swype to millions of users all at once? DAMN RIGHT! Will we tank in a serious way if we just open the floodgates to all those users at once? Yeah. It'd be ugly.

naratcliffe
09-02-2010, 5:19 AM
For example, we use the term "beta" in a slightly different way than most. For us, our beta program isn't a temporary, pre-release version of the software prepping it for public release. Instead, our beta program is used as a test-bed for new features, new methods of implementing existing features, and a sounding board for ideas (including this one. Don't misunderstand, this kind of conversation is very valuable to us). Remember that we already HAVE a general release implementation of Swype for PreLoad on our partner devices, so we're not "ramping up" to a full launch.

The end-run here is that the beta is provided more than anything as a way to please the users who can't or won't be buying new devices soon that include Swype. But our primary business model remains one of OEM preload. And have you noticed that the number of NEW Android devices released in the past few months that DON'T include Swype preloaded has been steadily decreasing? Our goal is to take Swype beyond just mobile platforms, and get it onto literally every device that uses a touchscreen interface. Part of that process is developing brand ubiquity in the market, and we think we're doing a pretty good job of that so far.

Here is another suggestion then: Give customers who have bought an Android device in the past 6 months WITHOUT Swype on it a chance to download the beta (or the released version for that model of phone, or whatever). That way, users are able to recommend Swype (or RAVE about it, like I do), and their fellow Android-using friends can say "Hey, I didn't get that on my phone when I bought it!" and they are able to go get it.

Again, I think this solution (similar to the beta-key solution I mentioned earlier) is a way where you can really take advantage of all of the word-of-mouth and grassroots marketing that your customers/users are willing to do for you. Right now you are basically looking a gift horse in the mouth.

ADDENDUM: One of the most important things I forgot to point out is the potential for internal implosion. Growing pains are hitting us VERY hard right now. We have just over 40 employees, most of whom are working overtime, and we're hiring as fast as we can while maintaining the integrity of our development team. I cannot stress enough how dangerous a time this is for us in terms of the tasks we choose to take on. As you've pointed out, there is incredibly high demand for Swype right now, and we're working as hard as we can to meet that demand with a product that we feel is worthy of distribution. Do we want to provide Swype to millions of users all at once? DAMN RIGHT! Will we tank in a serious way if we just open the floodgates to all those users at once? Yeah. It'd be ugly.

I fully understand the situation you are experiencing. As a part-owner of a small business, I am also a victim of what you call growing pains. Mine, however, are not linked to technical development things like "which thing do we work on next?" but rather are more of "which method of advertising do we commit our small amount of capital to?" Such questions can make or break a business. I respect your situation, and I just hope that you consider some alternatives to get Swype out to more people who REALLY want it. I'm not saying let it fly free, just the people who REALLY want it.

I think one of the main reasons I'm so excited for Swype is that I believe this is one of the keys for touch screens to take over Blackberrys as the de facto business smartphone solution.

xxpenxx
09-05-2010, 3:35 PM
You might actually be surprised as to the number of support requests we receive. Even though the beta has been clearly stated as being an "as-is" product, we get several dozen emails a day on top of the forum activity we receive. This doesn't even take into account the requests that our OEM partners receive for support with Swype from our PreLoad users. On top of that, I'm the only person available to handle these requests! (We're still a small company of just over 40 employees, with the majority of those working on language development, bug testing, and contract negotiation. We are quite literally stretched to our limit at this point.)

There's a large part of me - as an enthusiast first and employee second (that's how I got my job, heh) - that agrees with you wholeheartedly. At the same time, having had the opportunity to come from one side of the user-developer relationship to the other, I can tell you that things aren't quite as black and white as they seem.

As to the Android Market, it really IS something we're constantly looking at, ESPECIALLY for the beta. Distribution via the Android Market would be ideal, but we also are restricted by Google's Terms of Service from providing an "installer" on the market. What I mean is, we'd have to develop a method of applying our licensing through the Android Market installation itself - we aren't allowed to provide our installer on the market and use that to install Swype and its licensing. This isn't SUCH a huge problem, but more than anything we just don't have the man-hours to handle that transition at this point.

You're right that our partners have a vested interest in the popularity and growth of our product, but you also have to remember that part of our partnership contracts includes the original capital we received to develop Swype in the first place. Even before we had a working version of Swype, we already had obligations to our partners who provided a ridiculously generous amount of funding based solely on their belief in the value of Swype. You're also correct that part of the requirements for receiving certain technical information about the platforms we deploy on was signing a contract that includes Non-Disclosure Agreements.

As to the old guys running the company...well...can't it be a little bit of both? :) We have a LOT of internal discussion on all of these issues, with people from all woks of life contributing to the conversation.

I don't want to give the impression that we're blowing you - and those who think like you - off. We hear you. All the information posted here is relayed to our management team and discussed weekly. The simple fact that this conversation took place makes a difference. Just don't expect changes to happen overnight. Businesses are slow moving beasts ^_^

I understand what you're saying with releasing phones with this as a default application. But I myself own an Experia x10. I have not found a single beta version too try on my phone. And I am just wondering, are you going too release swype so users like me who don't have it as a pre-set, can buy this in the Android Market? Would be much appreciated,

Thanks for you're time,

Regards,

James

Darrell
10-02-2010, 4:05 PM
Brian
I must say thanks for putting yourself out here and taking all the heat. My question is, do you have a similar beta for Windows Mobile?

MeowEwowE
10-03-2010, 4:59 PM
REALLY! Totally agree with you! There is just NO excuse why the full version is not on the market. I'm sure you have enough money to hire more people now that you have a contract with Google/Motorola etc.

The new Froyo 2.2 Verizon Wireless version is NOT the full version, you can't customize the keyboard as described in the help screen. It was perfectly PERFECT until they updated with this new crappy light grey small button Swype keyboard. You can't SEE the back symbols and the Swype is lagggggggggggggging horribly. I paid $350 to upgrade to the Droid X "just" for the Swype keyboard and some dufus decided to change the keyboard to this new INCOMPLETE version. BAD!!! I would GLADLY pay whatever to get my OLD Swype back! GLADLY PAY!!!

Verizon phones can't uninstall Froyo, period. I went to Verizon, tried, and spent THREE hours on the phone with Motorola's level 2 tech support manager. And if you hack it, you void your warranty! UHG! I can't see my keyboard now llittle alone type on the small keys so I'm super ticked off. PLEASE change it back, PLEASE!!!! :(

alyvols
10-04-2010, 10:28 AM
I have a Droid Incredible. And yes.. I admit.. I installed an unauthorized version of Swype on my phone because I wanted to try it out. BAD mistake! why? because I really liked using it. Then it expired, and I had to go back using the default keyboard. No chance of joining the beta because it was closed. basically.. I'm shut out from using a most excellent product. I purchased UltraKeyboard.. it's ok. I like the fact you can speak text, and even turn on the camera so you can essentially see where you are going. All that, and I still miss Swype! I wish you could either open the beta back up.. charge for new accounts..just something instead of shutting out the people who didn't get a chance to register for the beta.

henriquesp
10-05-2010, 9:31 PM
Just one more to add to the flock, Nexus One owner.

Two comments:

1) Brian has mentioned that there is high demand for Swype right now. Wrong. There is a high demand for a swiping keyboard solution. It could be from Swype, but could be from a competitor. Actually, this is marketing 101. You NEVER anounce a product you won't be able to deliver. Creating an expectation (aka. demand) and not being able to meet that demand is even worse than not launching the product in the 1st place, since you spend money to create the demand in the market but since you don't meet it, you open space for your competitors to do so. Basically, you throw money away by giving your competitors the oportunity to meet the demand you created.

Translating, if you don't have the intention to releasing the product to the whole market, you shouldn't have opened the beta program in the 1st place.
If that's the case, you should have sticked to the OEM business model and that's it.
12 months ago, no one knew what swiping keyboard meant. You guys were successful in creating the demand through the beta program, but now are failing to deliver.

You'd know that if you had someone from a marketing/business background within your 40+ staff. Apparently there isn't one. Shame.

2) You also said that Swype would rather not launch the product than launch and deliver a poor support service. i.e. you don't want your customers to have a bad supporting experience from Swype. Again, another basic marketing/business definition. Your potential market (aka. your customer wallet) include both your active clients AND your potential clients. Both of them are able to form opinions on your company and your products, even if not using them. So, by not delivering the product, you already provide a bad support experience for your potential market, jeopardizing both the company and the product branding among the customers.

In the end, I can just pity that Swype Inc. has so much potential but is failing to understand simple business concepts, what is enough to endanger the company's future.
I guess that's common with startups. You have the technical skills, that's for sure. Unfortunately, that's not enough.
I just hope you're able to look upon your own mistakes and flourish to be the company that you guys deserve to be.

henriquesp
10-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Actually I had a third point I forgot to add in the message.

And have you noticed that the number of NEW Android devices released in the past few months that DON'T include Swype preloaded has been steadily decreasing?

Really? Are you really gonna stick to this statement??

Here is a brief list of 2010 _only_ Android phones (not even including the tablet and e-readers).
Could you please point out how many of these have preloaded Swype included??

Launched in 2010

Acer Inc beTouch E110
Acer Inc Liquid E
Acer Inc Liquid E Ferrari
Acer Inc Liquid Stream S110
CSL CSL Spice
Garmin Garminfone
Geeks'Phone Geeks'Phone One
HTC Corporation HTC Aria
HTC Corporation HTC Desire
HTC Corporation Droid Incredible
HTC Corporation HTC Legend
HTC Corporation HTC Evo 4G
HTC Corporation Google Nexus One
HTC Corporation Desire HD
HTC Corporation myTouch 3G Slide
HTC Corporation HTC Wildfire
Lenovo LePhone
LG Group GT540 Optimus,GT540 Swift
LG Group KH5200 Andro-1
LG Group LU2300 Optimus Q
LG Group VS740 Ally,Aloha
LG Group KU9500 Optimus Z
Motorola Charm
Motorola Quench,CLIQ XT,Motorola MB501
Motorola Droid X
Motorola Droid 2,Milestone 2
Motorola Motorola i1
Motorola Backflip,Motorola MB300
Motorola Devour
Motorola Milestone XT701
Motorola XT720, Motoroi
Motorola Motorola Defy
Motorola Motorola Flipout
Nexian A980,Journey
Pantech Sirius Sky
Pantech Sirius Izar
Pantech Sirius Vega
Samsung Group i5800 Teos
Samsung Group Galaxy A
Samsung Group i9000 Galaxy S,AT&T Captivate,T-Mobile Vibrant,Verizon Fascinate,Sprint Epic 4G
Samsung Group Samsung Acclaim
Samsung Group M910 Intercept,Samsung Moment II
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10
ZTE Link

Planned to be launched in 2010

Acer Inc beTouch E400
Acer Inc beTouch E110
Acer Inc Liquid Metal
Dell Aero
Dell Thunder
Lumigon T1
HTC Corporation Merge/Lexicon
HTC Corporation MyTouch HD
HTC Corporation Desire Z
HTC Corporation Desire HD
HTC Corporation Scorpion
INQ <unknown>
Kyocera Zio M6000
LG Optimus One
LG Optimus Chic
Orange San Francisco
Samsung Group i8520 Beam
Samsung Group i9100 Galaxy S Pro
Sony Ericsson XPERIA X8
T-Mobile Pulse Mini
Vodafone Vodafone 845
ZTE Smooth

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Android_devices

DonCorneo
10-05-2010, 11:31 PM
I have the HTC EVO 4G which is one of the biggest HTC 2010 releases, especially since it is the first 4G phone, and it came with the new Android 2.0 installed. Based on Brian's post, you would have expected this phone to have been supported by Swype.
I understand that 40 people may not be a lot, but it really depends on what positions they hold. At least 30 of them have to be exclusively working on development and trouble shooting. At this point marketing only needs 1 person since you are not ready to release Swype for every type of phone.
Legal issues, including contracts with phone and software makers, needs to be "farmed out" to a law firm with just the top CEO from Swype dealing with them.
Most important thing, don't worry about multiple language support until you have developed Swype for in one language the larger portion of touch phones, especially one like mine which was such a huge seller that HTC could not make them fast enough to meet demands. Swype needs to switch its concentration to developing software for the hottest phones out there now, not worrying about "fluff" that will not put them on top of the market which it seems they created. This error in priorities could cost Swype big since it allows competitors the chance to fill the void Swype is neglecting.
Hopefully management gets it to gather fast and reassigns it workers to fill the void that is being created already.

naratcliffe
10-18-2010, 9:50 AM
I just checked back to see if there was any new information on the Swype release.

I am extremely disappointed in the company and its schedule. I still have no earthly idea why you haven't released it yet... as a previous poster said, JUST PERFECT IT IN ENGLISH. Do you really need 20 languages before you release it? Seriously?

Come on guys. This is pathetic.

naratcliffe
12-03-2010, 7:06 AM
Still no release? Still? no? ok...

Any news? I mean come on. It's kind of embarrassing when people whom I've totally pimped swipe to are asking me, "is it available yet?" and I have to say "no, sorry, they're idiots."

brian.resnik
12-03-2010, 11:23 AM
As stated previously, we have no immediate plans to release Swype on the Android Market. It will happen eventually, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. For the immediate and foreseeable future, you'll find Swype either preloaded through our OEM partners, or the BETA program only.