PDA

View Full Version : Can I burn beta into ROM for private use

golightlygl
02-17-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm making my own ROM and would like to burn the Swype Beta into the ROM so it is in the NAND partition and thus more readily available. I have down this with Swiftkey and it does seem to make it more responsive. However, I have no idea how to "license" it given that if I burn it, I can't "unselect" it as an optio durig the license file creation.

I hasten to add that this ROM is not for distributon: simply a recook of another HTC Desire ROM for use on my own machine.

Am I out of luck or is there a way?

rob.boehm
02-17-2011, 12:20 PM
We sent this statement to xda back before I started working for Swype. As far as I know this is still the law of the land.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/official-stance-from-swype-inc-regarding-its-distribution/ .

Brian should be able to comment on if its still up to date.

brian.resnik
02-17-2011, 12:41 PM
The policy is still up to date, but remember our primary concern is REDISTRIBUTION. As long as you're not stripping out the licensing mechanism, fair use SHOULD apply (I make no assumptions though. I'm no lawyer).

As for cooking the beta into your ROM, you could try installing the ROM that you're recooking (before you recook it), installing Swype, backing up the Swype data using Titanium Backup or similar, then restoring that data to the recooked ROM with the main Swype APK baked in. If the changes you're making to the ROM aren't big enough to trigger the license to fail, that SHOULD work in theory. Keep build.prop edits to a minimum for a greater chance of success.

golightlygl
02-17-2011, 1:08 PM
Thanks. Yes i had read the XDA post but since, as Brian says, I'm not redistributing so I thought I'd ask here. Brian's approach is actually exactly what i tried but unfortunately no success. Where is the actual license file kept? Can i move that directly.

brian.resnik
02-18-2011, 7:24 AM
If that method doesn't work for you it means that there's likely too many changes to the ROM for the license to remain valid. You might be able to cook then recook it, meaning install your custom ROM sans Swype, then install the Swype beta on your device, THEN do the Titanium Backup. All of Swype's data, including the license, are stored right in the Swype data directory (/data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod), which is what Titanium grabs when it's backing stuff up. Again, it's just a matter of getting a license that matches the ROM you'll be using.

golightlygl
02-18-2011, 9:01 AM
OK Brian. That did work, thanks. So then I tried including the data from:

/data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod

into the ROM image so I wouldn't have to restore it and the ROM would be ready to go. Any idea why that didn't work? I checked and the data was properly written to the /data/data directory.

brian.resnik
02-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Most likely it's a permissions issue. Android is VERY picky about proper ownership being maintained or it won't let the app interact with the files/directories. My guess is that whatever method you used to copy the data directory into your ROM didn't maintain the permissions for that directory properly, so Swype can't load the license.

Just guessing though.