PDA

View Full Version : Can someone PLEASE tell me how to Swype "BC"-I DARE you to do it!!

Shuggah
02-15-2011, 6:31 AM
We all in agreement that this Swype dictionary is just FANTASTIC!! All the words that pop up are SO relevant and appropriate. I mean, who DOESN'T need to use the words "piotr" or "pyotr" or "outre" for the word "putt"

By the way, although piotr and pyotr are both in Swype's ALL-INCLUSIVE dictionary, they are UNDERLINED here to suggest that they are spelled wrong or are NOT WORDS!!!

But I digress...

I challenge ANYONE to try to swype "bc" I was hoping to use it as an abbreviation for "because" but it is just as good for "British Columbia"

Go ahead, try it...what do you get?? I keep getting the SYMBOL combination for "degrees Celcius" the little "degree" symbol (little "o") followed by a "C".

It is IMPOSSIBLE to Swype "bc"!!!! Can ANYONE do it!!?!?!?

And here's the beauty of this all...I thought perhaps I could remove "bc" from the custom dictionary and then re-add it to the dictionary. Perhaps that would trigger Swype "remembering" my desire to use the word. Well guess what??...you cannot remove the word because it is ALREADY PRESENT IN THE DICTIONARY!!! Swype has the word in their already (and PERMANENTLY because NO ONE can customize the dictionary to get rid of all these STUPID words!!) but you CANNOT SWYPE IT!!!

COME ON NOW SWYPE!!!! CAN WE SEE SOME IMPROVEMENT AFTER ALLLLL THESE MONTHS!!?!? :(:(:(

Smokeaire
02-18-2011, 2:33 AM
I just added BC to the dictionary...that worked..must have cap lock on to get BC instead of bc.

Shuggah
02-18-2011, 8:49 AM
I just added BC to the dictionary...that worked..must have cap lock on to get BC instead of bc.

Two problems with this I think...

You couldn't have added BC to the dictionary because it is ALREADY IN the Swype dictionary. The way you test this is to highlight the word "BC" and hit the Swype key in the bottom left. If NOTHING happens, it is in the dictionary and CANNOT be edited. If you get a message popup to REMOVE the word then it WAS added to YOUR custom dictionary and you CAN edit/remove it. If it is in the SWYPE dictionary, ya can't do anything with it :(

Secondly, I wanted a lowercase "bc" for "because" not the "BC" for British Columbia.

I STILL only get the "degrees-celcius"...either "c" or "C" :mad:

Smokeaire
02-18-2011, 9:32 AM
Well...I did add it to the dictionary...that is how I got BC. And bc is there also. I did this post by just swypeing.

Shuggah
02-18-2011, 7:41 PM
First I want to ask what version of Swype you are using?? Go to your Home..then Menu...then Settings...then Language & keyboard...then Swype settings and scroll down to the bottom and look at "About - Version" That is how I find it on my HTC EVO...might be a little different for your phone.

I have Version 2.17.59.15552.t100

Just wondering if you have the same version. But that might not have ANYTHING to do with anything...

Well...I did add it to the dictionary...that is how I got BC. And bc is there also. I did this post by just swypeing.

From what I understand and believe, CAPITALIZATION has NOTHING to do with saving a word to your custom dictionary. You might THINK you that you added "BC" to the dictionary but I really think you didn't. If "bc" is IN Swype's dictionary then "BC" is there too. Otherwise, if what you think you did was true, you'd have to take a word such as "tomorrow" and then ADD "TOMORROW" to the dictionary...?? Doesn't make sense...

You might be able to SWYPE "BC" while I cannot...could be a function of your keyboard or version or phone type or something different than my phone...but that is VERY different than "adding it to YOUR custom dictionary."...

But HERE is the test...

If you DID add "BC" to the dictionary (that would be your CUSTOM dictionary, not "the" SWYPE dictionary, which NO ONE can edit) you would likely have seen an "Added to Dictionary" confirmation page like this:

http://i.imgur.com/3k3UW.png

You can see that I added the made-up word "doolala"

Sometimes the words are added to your dictionary WITHOUT the confirmation box above. If that is the case then there is one way to be ABSOLUTELY SURE that you did add the word.

If...IF you did add a word to your custom dictionary, then YOU CAN DELETE IT TOO!! Type, tap or swype a word that YOU added...try your "BC"....HIGHLIGHT that word by double tapping on the word...then hit the "Swype Key" at the bottom left of your keyboard...

If...IF you added a word to your dictionary, you can delete it and you will see the following dialogue:

http://i.imgur.com/23Z9i.png

You'll see the "Confirm Word Deletion" message above showing that I am able to delete the word "meshuggah" that I added to MY custom dictionary.

So try to DELETE your "BC"...if you added it you GOTTA be able to delete it...if you do NOT get the "Confirm Word Deletion" then IT WAS ALWAYS IN THE SWYPE DICTIONARY!!

...and if you CAN delete it, I will be SHOCKED because I sure can't!!:mad:

Smokeaire
02-19-2011, 12:05 AM
BC/bc are available to me using Swype, isn't that what you want? The version..v 2.17.59. I'm using my rooted Nexus 1 running CM7 nightly...BTW.I do know how to check version numbers. Why don't you just properly spell out "because"? Just trying to help you out.
Anyway...good luck.

Shuggah
02-19-2011, 5:30 AM
BC/bc are available to me using Swype, isn't that what you want? The version..v 2.17.59. I'm using my rooted Nexus 1 running CM7 nightly...BTW.I do know how to check version numbers. Why don't you just properly spell out "because"? Just trying to help you out.
Anyway...good luck.

Yes, I am interested in whether you can actually Swype BC or bc. It is IMPORTANT for the developers to know if one person on one phone can Swype a word while another can't. That is why I asked what version of Swype you are using...so that the DEVELOPERS can see this information when they read the forums.

Congratulations, on knowing how to check your Swype version but now I am helping YOU out because you said you "added 'BC' to your dictionary" and I really don't think you understand how the dictionary works. Did you do what I said above...try to highlight 'BC' and hit the Swype key?? Did you get the "Confirm Word Deletion" popup like I posted above?? I'm guess you did not and cannot delete the word because, as I sad, it is NOT added to your dictionary.

I would REALLY REALLY like you to try to delete "BC" from "your" dictionary because, if you can (and I would be SHOCKED!) and no one else can, that would ABSOLUTELY be something that the DEVELOPERS SHOULD KNOW!!

So, can you please, PLEASE try it and write back?? That would REALLY HELP not just me but HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE have the same or similar problems. It is NOT just with the word "BC"...that is one example. Don't be embarrassed when you can't do it...the developers should KNOW if you can!!

Plus wouldn't YOU simply want to know how to properly add and delete words in the dictionary?? If you type something sloppy and WRONG and ACCIDENTALLY add it to your dictionary, wouldn't you want to know how to delete it???

Also, if I wanted to swype "because" I wouldn't have a problem and wouldn't be posting a question in the forum, understand?? Here, look what you wrote:

I'm using my rooted Nexus 1 running CM7 nightly...BTW.

You wrote "BTW"...why didn't you write "by the way?" See, same reason I'm trying to write BC. Or just make believe I live in British Columbia and I want to write out BC.

If you were able to root your phone and install a custom ROM you GOTTA be able to understand how to use the Swype dictionary properly and check if you can delete the word "BC." Otherwise, it's like you bought a Ferrari, customized the car but have no clue how to steer the vehicle.

So what would REALLY help others AND THE DEVELOPERS would be to see if you can delete "BC" from the dictionary.

Go try it...write back...

THANKS!!!!

rkilljoy
02-20-2011, 7:05 PM
I have the latest version of beta swype on the droid eris. I have no problem with bc. I have never added it to the library. It wants to give c first but the pop up has bc for me to pick in the pop up window. I'm doing this post with swype beta.

Shuggah
02-21-2011, 10:58 AM
I have the latest version of beta swype on the droid eris. I have no problem with bc. I have never added it to the library. It wants to give c first but the pop up has bc for me to pick in the pop up window. I'm doing this post with swype beta.

See now THIS is good information, THANK YOU!! I have the latest beta as well (2.17.whateveritis) but I'm using an EVO. INTERESTING that you can swype "bc" because not only can I not swype it but when I get that constant "c" for my swype attempt, I CANNOT double-tap highlight "c"!!! I can try a THOUSAND times...it will only highlight the "c" So I can't double-tap, so I can't highlight and cannot get the pop up window.

The other annoying thing to me, if I were in your shoes, is a SEPARATE issue with Swype. Swype is supposed to "learn" what you use most often. I'm gonna GUESS that you rarely, IF EVER, used "c" and would MUCH rather swype "bc." Well, Swype ain't learning very much...the ONLY thing that comes up when you Swype is that "c" even if you have NEVER chosen to want to use it.

And you have also CONFIRMED to me, as I suspected with the other poster, that "bc" or "BC" is NOT added to anyone's custom dictionary.

See THIS is something the developers should be reading....WEIRD inconsistencies between one one phone and the other using the same Swype Beta!...THANKS!!