PDA

View Full Version : Spam prevention

Steve8x8
02-12-2011, 1:19 AM
I've subscribed to the RSS feed of this forum, and a felt 40-50% of all topics listed there is spam.
This leaves the impression that the forum admins aren't aware of this issue (otherwise there wasn't spam more than 3 weeks old) - and that some anti-spam measures should be taken.

brian.resnik
02-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Hi Steve8x8,

I'm aware of the spam issue, but often don't see every single spam message that comes through. There's a (somewhat hard to see) triangle-with-an-exclamation-mark icon in the lower-left corner of every post. Clicking that button to report a post is very helpful to us, because a) it lets us know where the spam is bunching up and b) helps improve the forums' automatic detection systems.

We delete as much spam as we can, but unfortunately it still goes out over RSS, because that list is generated at post creation time, so deleted posts still show up. I've been looking into some better systems for handling spam as well. Do you have any experience with a particular system for vBulletin? Maybe you know of something I've missed :)

Steve8x8
02-13-2011, 1:19 AM
Hi Brian,
no, I don't know any tricks with vB - if a new post is the only trigger to recreate RSS, one is obviously lost...
I've written my own blog, and the corresponding RSS module, which goes through everything (but it doesn't have to handle zillions of entries)...
And I admit that RSS (due to its linear nature) isn't very well suited to represent a forum (which is rather two-dimensional).
I'll unsubscribe from the feed soon since I'm "only" interested in a few threads, and there's no individual RSS for them (or did I miss something?).
Thanks,
S.