PDA

View Full Version : "Hidden" Word Tip - Can I disable this?

MoneyAddyct
02-03-2011, 9:54 PM
'Hidden' Word Tip - Can I disable it?

Hey, I added a few emoticons into the Swype database, a few of which use the same keystrokes (like ':-p' and ':-)'). Whenever I select ':-)' for example, it'll bring up a word choice window and I can select ':-p,' leave it as it, or select some other emoticon. However, whenever I do, it brings up a Tip screen that says "'Hidden' Word. The word you just entered (":-)") was "hidden" by the word ":-p" that was previously added to your Swype dictionary." Then it tells me how to delete ":-p".

Is there any way to disable this Tip (or all tips, even) from being displayed? I clearly want "both" of these words in the database and the hidden word tip pop-up significantly slows me down. Thanks!

MoneyAddyct
02-06-2011, 1:37 PM
Anyone? This is becoming more and more frequent

rob.boehm
02-06-2011, 3:53 PM
This topic as been addressed several times before in numerous threads. Here is probably the best post to answer your questions:

http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?1233-quot-Hidden-Word-quot-Tip-Notification&p=8250#post8250

izzyizzo
02-10-2011, 8:22 AM
I really like Swype, but have gone back to swiftkey -- again -- because this dialog box is making me crazy. Also, Swiftkey is one heck of a lot faster, when factoring in the stupid dialog box. I really hope there's a fix.

BTW I'm using both the beta and the Froyo 2.2 release on separate devices.

Rob Doar
02-18-2011, 7:31 AM
I too am getting sick of staff downplaying this bug.

2 Very simple questions.

Is it going to be fixed?

and

When?

rob.boehm
02-18-2011, 5:55 PM
To answer your first question, yes, it is hoping to be fixed.

Unfortunately it's not a easy as you'd think to answer reserving problem. The most honest answer I can give you is that the only time we'd be able to give you a hard date is when t the changes are already done and finished to be rolled out. We have no time l line other than when it's done. Even at times when we do know answers about specific changes to behavior and when they are released, even for the most simple and insignificant changes, we still can't disclose that information on a public forum. For one that informationis still subject to change and we don't want to be making promises we can't keep. Second some of that information may still be considered a trade secret and releasing it to the public means it's also released to our competitors. On the whole you don't want to be confirming the little things, and denying that which isn't happening, because when you don't talk about the big thinks you might as well just be confirming them.

Downrange
05-22-2011, 10:02 AM
I signed up to this forum SPECIFICALLY to speak about this issue. I have been reading through the archived and conveniently locked threads about this problem. First let me say that Swype is friggin awesome. If this ONE SINGULAR issue was fixed, you guys would have a hit on your hands. However, ever since September of LAST YEAR, you guys have been coming up with nothing but excuses as to why you can't fix this. You guys probably think oh, only a few of us actually take issue with this problem, well, let me tell you. I know at least 20 other people with Galaxy, EVOs, and other phones that have swype pre-installed. Guess what? ALL OF US HAVE REVERTED BACK TO USING THE STOCK ANDROID KEYBOARD! I'm willing to bet that MANY others around the world have done the same!

Your'e silly popup, you know, the one that everyone has been complaining about for almost a YEAR, has turned your product into a novelty trick; something to show fellow party goers, you know, something along those lines.

You guys have a KILLER app on your hands and you won't fix it. We don't want to hear about the guy that had a baby (congrats to him btw, just trying to make a point, not be callous), or how you need an oil change, or how you over seasoned the roast you made last night. We want to hear, the problem has been fixed and the update will be rolled out in a 5 days on such and such date.

Let me tell you a quick but true story about another company that was in a similar situation back in 2005. It was a company called INFINITY WARD. Yeah, they're the makers of a video game called, yeah, um, CALL OF DUTY. Yeah, those guys, the ones responsible for the biggest selling video game in console history.

Well, they didn't start out so well. You see, back in 2005 (or 2006?), when the XBOX 360 launched, one of the launch titles was Call Of Duty 3. It was a HUGE selling launch title as it was the only military fps game on the console at launch. But you see, players could still play Halo 2 on their xbox 360, the other super huge and successful fps game.

While Call of Duty 3 was an awesome game ONCE YOU ACTUALLY GOT IN A LIVE GAME, IT SUFFERED A HUGE PROBLEM. ITS MATCHMAKING LOBBY SUCKED MAJORLY! It was so difficult to setup a game the way you wanted to.

So everyone poured onto the call of duty 3 forums and complained for about, hmm lets see, 2 months TOPS and infinity ward fixed the issue! Call of Duty 3's popularity grew wildly and sales followed. Everyone on the call of duty 3 forums including me (go look them up if you don't believe me) told infinity ward that they had an awesome product that was being brought down by its crappy lobby system and that if they fixed it, the game would be more popular than Halo 2 (which at that time was logging almost 1 million unique games at any given time).

Needless to say Infinity Ward listened and went on to make the most successful video game franchise to date, all because they listened to their customers.

You guys at Swype are in a similar position. You have an AWESOME product that destroys the competition. Don't let this opportunity to take your company to the next level slip you guys by. If money to hire more programmers or devs is an issue, go out and get a loan! If you guys don't fix this, how long is it before the shoebees, the people NOT tech savvy, find their way onto the official Sprint forums, or the Galaxy S forums, or they dial up their carrier asking for help on how to fix that popup, or they go into a Sprint or T-Mobile store and ask whats wrong with their keyboard and why is that popup keep coming up? How long is it before Sprint or Tmobile realize people are complaining about Swype's annoying popup and they decide NOT to have it pre installed on any of their phones in the future and you guys lose those big contracts?

Just something to think about.

bjornfers
05-24-2011, 10:34 AM
@Downrange

see you typed that long thread just 2 days ago...
well...
the issue is kinda fixed if you download the new beta thingy from http://beta.swype.com/

Major bug fixes, including setting the "Hidden Word Tip" popup to only appear once per installation, and allowing contact names to be permanently removed from the user dictionary

been kinda ragin about this one as well for quite some time now...

bugsheep
06-14-2011, 2:00 PM
my phone has swype preloaded... this problem has really been bothering me as well, was hoping for a fix. samsung captivate/galaxy s