PDA

View Full Version : Customizable Swype-Button Gestures.

migr12304909
06-17-2010, 12:55 AM
As it is now, the Swype button can be used to get to the Edit window or the number entry window. It's done by swiping from the Swype key to another key on the screen. I think this is a brilliant move by Swype because it removes any tap-navigation and replace it with a single swipe.

I propose that you create a new option that allows the user to define their own "Swype-cuts." It should be as simple as allowing users to define their own words. You let them choose a key and a function, and then they can access it by swiping from the Swype button to that key. Off of the top of my head, I would create ones for Select Text, Copy, and Paste. It might seem trivial, but isn't Swype all about creating the smoothest and most efficient interface possible?

migr12352069
06-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Gestures like swipe UP (uppercase,...) DOWN (minimize keyboard) RIGHT (delete last word) LEFT (change lang). + diagonals if you like it !

Customizable (assign action to gesture) would be even better !

Eric
08-28-2010, 8:50 PM
Great Idea! It's be awesome to be able to set one where going from the Swype button to a specific key automatically inserts my e-mail address or a specific username I frequently use or something like that. Great idea! I'm giving it my votes.

rick
08-29-2010, 1:10 PM
This could be be very useful. Much better than saving words that overwrite the standard swype patterns

metalron
09-01-2010, 12:50 AM
like this idea, I sort of posted something similar where we could use them using the "smiley key" where moving them in different directions could input defined smileys.

more here if interested
http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?345-Swype-for-smileys-emoticons-Different-directions-to-result-in-different-pre-configured-smileys

Darrell
09-02-2010, 5:42 AM
Hello all
I emailed Swype Inc. about this very thing. I use Fitaly on a WinMo phone and what you all are asking for here is put on steroids with Fitaly. I only use WinMo because of Fitaly and the only way I would move from it is if Swype had something similar. The ability to easily enter words/phrase/paragraphs that you use in your very specific world is amazing. Don't try to remove that functionality from my phone!! As an architect working on schools, I use the words "school", "education", "building", ect., etc. etc. dozens of times every hour. Having to swype those words would be painful. A short "slide" on a letter key (multiple entries possible in 8 compass directions on every key!!) allows you to enter those items with one stroke. I don't sell Fitaly. I just love the ability to do that. It also allows you to launch other programs and enter punctuation through slides. I honestly don't know why no other method, either Swype or standard qwerty keyboards, has this feature, unless I'm just missing it.

Here's my ideal app. Swype + custom entries + Fitaly's non-qwerty layout (minimizing swype travel). Now that would be truly something. As a minimum, add quick entry of custom items to Swype.

Is there anything in Swype similar to what I'm describing.

buzkill
11-29-2012, 9:35 PM
Great Idea! It's be awesome to be able to set one where going from the Swype button to a specific key automatically inserts my e-mail address or a specific username I frequently use or something like that. Great idea! I'm giving it my votes.

got my vote! came here to this forum just to request this very idea. DRAW a big E for email, heck make it a star if you'd remember better. take less time then typing in random_name@blah.com

deaththeorist
11-30-2012, 12:08 AM
Hello all
I emailed Swype Inc. about this very thing. I use Fitaly on a WinMo phone and what you all are asking for here is put on steroids with Fitaly. I only use WinMo because of Fitaly and the only way I would move from it is if Swype had something similar. The ability to easily enter words/phrase/paragraphs that you use in your very specific world is amazing. Don't try to remove that functionality from my phone!! As an architect working on schools, I use the words "school", "education", "building", ect., etc. etc. dozens of times every hour. Having to swype those words would be painful. A short "slide" on a letter key (multiple entries possible in 8 compass directions on every key!!) allows you to enter those items with one stroke. I don't sell Fitaly. I just love the ability to do that. It also allows you to launch other programs and enter punctuation through slides. I honestly don't know why no other method, either Swype or standard qwerty keyboards, has this feature, unless I'm just missing it.

Here's my ideal app. Swype + custom entries + Fitaly's non-qwerty layout (minimizing swype travel). Now that would be truly something. As a minimum, add quick entry of custom items to Swype.

Is there anything in Swype similar to what I'm describing.
thanks buzkill for the thread bump!

this right here is what needs to be added!!

hikkik
01-23-2013, 9:08 AM
I second that... First message from 2010 and still we can't make our own? Launching apps hmm we can swype "gm" to launch maps and... That's all; wait... That can't be! Just open it, let us make own own shortcuts for apps, dialing numbers, sending mails/sms and more! :rolleyes: