PDA

View Full Version : Make it easier to cull bad words from the dictionary

sejtam
01-15-2011, 1:41 PM
I have swype 2.8.50.12867 preloaded on a Dell Streak , it came with the official Froyo update.

While trying to learn Swype, it apparently learnt a lot of my typoes :-(

Is there a way to edit the swype dictionary without doing the manual editing procedure the popup help suggest? I dont even know which words have been added.

Also, the Faq said that automatic learning of typed words is optional, but I cannot find a toggle for that in the swype options...

I really would like a way to explicitly teach Swype words, and not have it learn every mistyped word (i often fall back to typing, and that is also not yet error-free).
Maybe similar to the unlearn function: Swype should mark unknown words and allow adding them when selected and the Swype key is pressed?

Finally, support for multiple language dictionaries would be nice. A word should be added to the dictionary specified. I often write emails etc mixing languages and words from one should not contaminate another language's dictionary. But of course Swype should check both/ more than one language when looking for a word, possibly with some form of automatic detection of language per sentence (or even phrase)

I also don't understand why when swype can tell me about a word hiding mine, there is no immediate way to delete the word that is hiding, but only an instruction to retype the hiding word (which is st that time on screen and down in that dialogue! and then to delete it using the swype key.if would be do much easier to have a burton to remove the hiding word from the dictionary right away

andywilliams13
03-04-2011, 10:57 AM
I have swype 2.8.50.12867 preloaded on a Dell Streak , it came with the official Froyo update.

While trying to learn Swype, it apparently learnt a lot of my typoes :-(

Is there a way to edit the swype dictionary without doing the manual editing procedure the popup help suggest? I dont even know which words have been added.

Also, the Faq said that automatic learning of typed words is optional, but I cannot find a toggle for that in the swype options...

I really would like a way to explicitly teach Swype words, and not have it learn every mistyped word (i often fall back to typing, and that is also not yet error-free).
Maybe similar to the unlearn function: Swype should mark unknown words and allow adding them when selected and the Swype key is pressed?

Finally, support for multiple language dictionaries would be nice. A word should be added to the dictionary specified. I often write emails etc mixing languages and words from one should not contaminate another language's dictionary. But of course Swype should check both/ more than one language when looking for a word, possibly with some form of automatic detection of language per sentence (or even phrase)

I also don't understand why when swype can tell me about a word hiding mine, there is no immediate way to delete the word that is hiding, but only an instruction to retype the hiding word (which is st that time on screen and down in that dialogue! and then to delete it using the swype key.if would be do much easier to have a burton to remove the hiding word from the dictionary right away

I just registered to simply say "OMG THIS THIS THIS SO MUCH THIS" This post pretty much sums up all my frustrations with Swype.... I feel like I get a popup on almost every word these days and the same misspelled words (TGE) come up again and again... I would rather swype asked me to add words it do not recognize to the dictionary rather than auto add. Anyway to do this?

sejtam
03-04-2011, 9:16 PM
I find the lack of replies from the Swype team to these usability issues disturbing.

rob.boehm
03-09-2011, 7:38 PM
I find the lack of replies from the Swype team to these usability issues disturbing.

We've already given several replies regarding users ability to modify the dictionary in several other posts on this forum. I will admit that we have been tight lipped in the past 2-4 weeks and that's mostly because changes have been getting finalized and for a number of reasons it's simply irresponsible for use to release that kind of information. For one reason if we start talking about features that may be included in the next release and they don't make the cut, then we look a little foolish. On the same accord our competitors monitor these forums and releasing information other than generalities risk loosing a competitive edge. Now on something as simple as dictionary management I agree that we wouldn't be loosing too much if anything there; however when push comes to shove you simply can't release any information regarding future enhancements as if you're verbose about the simple stuff and deny what's not true, you put yourself at risk of confirming the important enhancements when we choose not to talk about them.

However I will tell you what's already known. Our beta deployments are only valid 100 days after they are published; after that they stop working. This Friday is that expiration date, and dictionary enhancements were a major focus (if not the major focus) of what's being compiled into this next build. So you'll only need to wait a couple more days to start testing out what we've been working on the past couple months. Either that or you'll be going with out Swype until we finalize these changes x_x

sejtam
03-09-2011, 8:16 PM
That is all fine and well, but won't help those with a preinstalled version (like on my Dell Streak). How will updates be rolled out to those users?

(I know, I can install DJ_STeve's ROM w/o the prebuilt swype and go with the beta, but that only works for those who dare go that way)

As it is, swype is more of a hindrance than a help, learning every single typo I make and pooping up that stupid 'hidden' message several times in one text I write. And I need to remove the bad word immediately (using the convoluted method that it currently uses), or I forget (either totally, or how exactly I had it misspelt, if that is even recognizable)
In fact, there should be a 'negative' list that allows one to store common typoes one makes so that swype does NOT learn the same again the next time around.

rob.boehm
03-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Device carriers can update their version of Swype at any time at no cost with any of our stable builds. As said we are rolling out a new expieremental build to the beta very shortly. After we're confidant in it's stability it will be available to our OEM partners (your carrier) to distribute in their next device update.