PDA

View Full Version : I wouldn't hate Swype if........

SwipeThatSmugness
01-15-2011, 12:52 AM
1. It stopped popping up google voice search when I miss the RETURN key, BACKSPACE key or period/apostrophe

2. It had arrow (move cursor) keys, because it is so godamn annoyin stupid and wasteful of time when you make a swypo and it pops up the word selection box everytime you tap move the cursor

3. I didn't have to re-install each time I reboot

4. It stopped auto highlughting the word + popping up the word selection box everytime I try moving the cursor.

HTC Aria with FR008 2.2 oc kernel

fearphage
01-15-2011, 8:51 AM
For #2, swype from the swype key to the SYM/ABC key and you will get arrow keys.

SwipeThatSmugness
01-16-2011, 2:39 PM
For #2, swype from the swype key to the SYM/ABC key and you will get arrow keys.

!! Wow thats awesome. Should help with all the aggravation (until I jyst tried swyping that A word....)

brian.resnik
01-16-2011, 3:43 PM
#1: Can't help much about missing keys, except for period/apostrophe you should be using the punctuation gesture, instead of trying to tap-type the character. Swype from PERIOD to SPACE for a ". " You can also swype APOSTROPHE to S for 's. Works for 're, 'd, 've, etc as well. You can find the full list in the built in help index under "punctuation words."

#3: Instead of reinstalling, just switch input methods back and forth. Long press a text box, pick a different input method, then switch back to Swype. This is a known issue (and one of the reasons we do OEM, so stuff like this doesn't happen from one phone to another, since this only seems to effect certain devices/ROMs)

#4: Cursor movement customizations are another reason we do OEM integration. We have double-tap-to-edit built into Swype, so that can easily conflict with custom interface options that your carrier/manufacturer has. We work with OEMs to make sure these kinds of features don't conflict. Not much we can do about it in a beta, though :\

SwipeThatSmugness
01-16-2011, 8:04 PM
#1: Can't help much about missing keys, except for period/apostrophe you should be using the punctuation gesture, instead of trying to tap-type the character. Swype from PERIOD to SPACE for a ". " You can also swype APOSTROPHE to S for 's. Works for 're, 'd, 've, etc as well. You can find the full list in the built in help index under "punctuation words."

#3: Instead of reinstalling, just switch input methods back and forth. Long press a text box, pick a different input method, then switch back to Swype. This is a known issue (and one of the reasons we do OEM, so stuff like this doesn't happen from one phone to another, since this only seems to effect certain devices/ROMs)

#4: Cursor movement customizations are another reason we do OEM integration. We have double-tap-to-edit built into Swype, so that can easily conflict with custom interface options that your carrier/manufacturer has. We work with OEMs to make sure these kinds of features don't conflict. Not much we can do about it in a beta, though :\

OMG was your reply abnoxious.... Although it is probably just bcuz it's not an OEM build. The gesture tips were helpful. I have much disdain for your little dance around the bush, but I guess that is the M.O. of Swype. Then again the dictionary of swype is terrible!!! If you swype and, it default goes with amd - ?? WTF

1. Remove the stupid button, or put it in a sub-menu... What the hell does it need to be on the main keyboard for?

3. I'll try that.

SwipeThatSmugness
01-20-2011, 9:05 PM
I tried the switching the input method and it works. I wish I knew that's all that needed to be done two weeks ago :)