PDA

View Full Version : Swype should pay more attention to how many stops my finger makes.

belomeclone
01-04-2011, 6:52 PM
Okay. This is what I'm talking about.

This is how I use Swype. Put my finger on the first letter, move it to the next letter I want, *pause*, move to the next letter I want, *pause*, move to the last letter, lift my finger.

However, Swype does not appreciate the work I put into typing. If I try to spell "Crab", it shows me "Crash". Why? Because, although I paused over the A, I moved over the S. Occasionally (only occasionally because I do not capitalize words often), as I move my finger above the letters to capitalize the first letter, I move across a letter Swype thinks I want, and so when I finish typing, the SECOND letter is capitalized.

NOW, I understand that we are not always accurate, and that this is how Swype WORKS, but I have a suggestion, can Swype pay attention to how many pauses my finger takes? Take the Crash example. Even if I am not accurate and spell "crsb" instead, "Crash" should not apply because I only paused four times. Also, "pauses" can be substituted for directional change.

Also, to increase accuracy, Swype should seriously pay attention to the first letter, as it is always accurate. The word "Drat" I just entered in, and it put out "Stray". But I know I started on the D. As off as my finger could have been from there, it definitely started on the D.

Those two changes should seriously increase Swype's accuracy.

SiHaSi
01-05-2011, 1:47 AM
Agreed. I do this as well, pausing slightly over the actual letter I want. IMHO, a combination of this, plus an editable user dictionary (thatAndroid already has) would yield a vast improvement in user experience.

belomeclone
01-05-2011, 7:36 PM
Obviously, direction-change doesn't always happen, like when it is the next letter over. But I think with a little tweaking this system would work a lot better. And wouldn't add an R into my words despite no letters being on the top row.

belomeclone
01-20-2011, 8:59 PM
This thread has become forgotten, and yet I feel it is Swype's biggest flaw. I get stuck with words like this ALL THE TIME using Swype.

"Note" reading "Now". The whole I and O corner itself leads to lots of trouble - and not because of the proximity of the letters, but because it is choosing a four letter word when I am trying to spell a six letter word, and the additional vowel makes the number of possible words increase a lot. The word "Acid" reads as "Avoid". If I was spelling "Avoid", I would have: 1. Press down on A, 2. drag to V, 3. pause and change to O, 4. pause and slide over to the I, 5. pause and drag to D. That's five stops, Swype should KNOW this.