PDA

View Full Version : Help with quick input

careyhead
01-01-2011, 9:53 AM
I'm looking for some assistance from veteran users on Android.

I love using Swype for composing messages, tweets, etc. Where I feel like it falls down is for quick input. For example, when I want to do a quick find in Android (hit the search button from home screen) and quickly locate a person, app, etc. The problem is that Swype won't put in each letter as I type it.

Unfortunately, Android doesn't seem to allow me to set Swype as the input method for long text and the stock keyboard for short text. And I'm not really interested in taking the time to switch back and forth.

What would be great is if Swype would enter key-by-key when I touch type, and word-by-word when I swype.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

donzz64
01-01-2011, 10:21 AM
It does. I have no idea what you're trying to say? Let's say you want to type the word swype you can type it S-w-y-p-e or swype it. Both ways it will work.

careyhead
01-01-2011, 1:11 PM
Yes, Swype does accept key-by-key input.

Let's say that I'm typing in the TO: field of Gmail. If I use the stock keyboard, I can type the first 2 or 3 letters of the name/email address, and Gmail will pop up suggestions.

The issue I am having with Swype is that if I touch each letter individually (as opposed to swping), it won't put the individual letters into the field. It waits until I tap the word choice window.

What I would like is a way around that, so that if I'm typing letter-by-letter, then Swype will go ahead and put the keystrokes into the field letter-by-letter.

IanS100
01-01-2011, 2:19 PM
Go to options & untick 'Word Prediction' which should solve your problem. Without 'Word Prediction' Swype is much more usable.

careyhead
01-01-2011, 3:05 PM
Thank you, IanS100, that was what I was looking for.