PDA

View Full Version : "Enter" button instead of "Smile"

Pages : [1] 2

anonymous
06-30-2010, 6:32 PM
An 'Enter' button needs to be available in all typing modes, especially in email/gmail applications on Android 1.6. It may not be used as much in text, but line spacing in email is VERY common, and I can't do it with Swype.

migr12998387
07-17-2010, 1:09 AM
I agree, it is very annoying not to be able to enter a line break in the textbox of gmail, but there is a return key in the TO field.

Ashex1
07-21-2010, 3:37 PM
Are you using the current public beta of Swype? I am able to compose a new message and enter in line breaks using the Swype Keyboard.

Bill
08-27-2010, 8:02 AM
The enter key appears in all sorts of places it is not needed, but the one place I need it, gmail, it doesn't. It does work in K9, but I only use that for my secondary email and don't send from it much. It's a pitty.

caulif
09-05-2010, 5:29 AM
I don't have this issue with gmail but I do with sms (Android 2.1 on an HTC Hero). I used to use carriage returns within sms quite frequently, but Swype won't let me & I am using the current beta.

smoonyheim
12-28-2010, 7:16 PM
So i use the enter button

ALL THE TIME

i just re-updated my swype and now there's no setting to remove the smiley key for an enter key.

IanS100
12-29-2010, 3:21 PM
I use it too but no longer :-(

rob.boehm
12-29-2010, 6:52 PM
Swype places the enter key or the smiley key on the keyboard based on settings from the app that's currently being used. Can you tell us what app this behavior changed in and what version of Swype the change occurred in? (Also app versions if you can get at those too). We could then look into making an adjustment here in a future release.

jaskiratsingh
01-17-2011, 8:41 AM
Hi,

I have sony experia x8. I have downloaded and installed swype 2.17 (english and spanish) version but the problem is that it doesnt show enter button.

Instead in its place it shows smileys...argh

Kindly suggest. i like swype but unavailability if enter button stops me from using swype.

Thanks

phagura
01-30-2011, 2:05 AM
There is no need of the Enter button instead you use spacebar/full stop/comma etc. Swype works excellently.

rob.boehm
02-01-2011, 7:57 PM
Whether or not there is an enter button available is determined by the type of input field Swype is entering into. If the field is unable to receive a return character (i.e. into an SMS field) the enter key is not available. Where as if you're drafting an email in Gmail Swype will show the enter key in place of the simile button.

WBTtheFROG
02-02-2011, 9:08 AM
SMS fields are able to receive a return character. Even the simplest of phones with a Symbol menu have a line break character (usu. as the last option). When you send an SMS online you can send a line break character. So far, every method I've seen to send an SMS, except the Swype keyboard, allow a line break. It would be best if the smiley button were replaced with a line break character instead, at least on the Symbol view. Line breaks can help a lot with readability of text messages- for example, this message would read much nicer with line breaks.

ThisTea
02-02-2011, 2:38 PM
Whether or not it's necessary, I find it hard to believe there is no way to enter a 'line break' or 'carriage return'.

Has no one figured this out?
Is there somewhere we can look for more information?

brian.resnik
02-04-2011, 12:52 PM
I think the point that Rob was trying to make is that this is an application controlled variable. The application Handcent SMS for example (free on the Android market) allows you to choose between whether that key is used for smilies or as a line-break key. It's a field-type variable that application programs can set, which we respect when displaying the keyboard. You'll find that other keyboards that DON'T show a smiley key are actually not respecting the wishes of the application developer.

rob.boehm
02-04-2011, 2:17 PM
I was digging around with this after posting and found it odd that no matter what keyboard was up the smile button was available.

Thought it may be relevant to place a carriage return key in place of the smiley key on the arrow keys keyboard. My concern with that however would be if a developer designed their app to use the smiley key and was not built to handle a return character what kinds of problems could that create? Or do we even care about those problems? :-)

dez93_2000
03-25-2011, 5:00 AM
much as i appreciate your (pl) point about the enter/go/smiley key being application-dependent, it seems to me that the big picture is that users want to be able to use the return key, irrespective of whether a semantic argument about whether SMSs 'need' carriage returns finds those users to be 'wrong' or 'right'. Since it could be available either in the smiley position when in numbers mode OR as a type of smiley, can this not be added to the request list? I can't imagine it's a huge job...

My reason for wanting it: separating points, but especially: jokes & insults where the carriage returns give the impression of a long pause. E.g.:

"Have a great weekend.

You dick"

British insult-driven humour needs this key. Cheers!

rob.boehm
04-01-2011, 7:39 PM
Just to touch base on this I wanted to bring up that personally I'm of the mind that even in SMS we need to have an enter key on the edit layer (accessed from swype to sym key). Keep in mind though that we have several conflicting opinions (both internal at Swype, and external here with our public beta testers) that it's often impossible to move forward quickly with even the most simple of requests.

someoneiswrong
06-04-2011, 5:51 PM
Just want to add my vote for the 'Return' key rather than the Smiley for the above stated reasons.

someoneiswrong
06-04-2011, 5:51 PM
Hope this Handcent doesn't mess me up.

/dev/null
09-04-2011, 5:22 AM
The bottom right (last) button when typing a message to someone is always a smiley button. How do I use the "Enter" key function when sending smses to enter a new line? I just can't figure this out.

However, same behavior is NOT noticed when using whatsapp or email, etc. The "enter" key button appears by default.

Here're the respective screenshots:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2387250/sms.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2387250/whatsapp.jpg

Froggie
10-04-2011, 5:12 AM
What's up with this goofiness? Some of us are too old to use smileys. ;)

aajax42
10-20-2011, 6:10 AM
An 'Enter' button needs to be available in all typing modes, especially in email/gmail applications on Android 1.6. It may not be used as much in text, but line spacing in email is VERY common, and I can't do it with Swype.
I am using the latest android and when messaging get a 'smiley' key rather than an enter key. Really annoying as cant start a new line! Can see this has been mentioned before with no comments or solutions mentioned from the administrators?

aajax42
10-20-2011, 6:11 AM
I am using the latest android and when messaging get a 'smiley' key rather than an enter key. Really annoying as cant start a new line! Can see this has been mentioned before with no comments or solutions mentioned from the administrators?

yojlik
10-20-2011, 4:05 PM
SMS allows 160 characters and none of those should be a carriage return. If you're needing multiple paragraphs in a text message, you are using the wrong medium for composing it.

Android supports keyboard variations by app natively exactly for the reason that it would be silly to have an Enter key in Messaging or a smiley key in GMail. Now with the latest update the smiley key seems to have been removed in favor of an Enter key. While I appreciate that some (misguided) people might want the Enter key in things like Messaging and Talk, it certainly isn't the standard and should at least be made optional.

rob.boehm
10-23-2011, 4:48 PM
The smiley key wasn't configured properly in the last release and doesn't show up properly. It will b4 fixed automatically in an OTA update some time this week. (maybe next x_x)

That being said Swype will only display the Smiley Key when entering text into input fields that the developer has flagged as SMS input fields (when we've configured it properly =P). In the example in the original post, although whatsapp is sending an SMS message the developers created the input box as a general text input box and Swype will display the normal keyboard accordingly.

rob.boehm
10-29-2011, 6:59 PM
The SMS layer is currently bugged in the current beta release; However prior production releases should be functioning properly. Regarding missing the enter button in the SMS field not only is out standard Android convention not to display an enter key, but many networks do not accept line returns in SMS messages. Because of this Swype will replace the return key for the smiley key when entering text into a field that has been coded as an SMS field. This does not happen on Google's Gmail application as this input box is coded as a text field. If you're not receiving the enter key in your gmail application this tells me that you're using a custom gmail application that the developer did not correctly code the input box. This is a known problem with HTC devices using Sense UI including the Thunderbolt. However HTC has recently resolved this issue on the Thunderbolt and a fix should be available via an automated OTA update. Please contact Verizon if you are unable to update.

Bungle
11-04-2011, 9:21 PM
SMS allows 160 characters and none of those should be a carriage return. If you're needing multiple paragraphs in a text message, you are using the wrong medium for composing it.

ports
oh sooooo texting in English isn't allowed.
Only in emails.
Good to know that you are on top of these things and letting us know.
Also: enter button.
I just installed the update not knowing I'd lose my enter button.
Sad face.
First time I needed it and there's no icon for it.
Enter.

Bungle
11-04-2011, 9:23 PM
The smiley key wasn't configured properly in the last release and doesn't show up properly. It will b4 fixed automatically in an OTA update some time this week. (maybe next x_x)

That being said Swype will only display the Smiley Key when entering text into input fields that the developer has flagged as SMS input fields (when we've configured it properly =P). In the example in the original post, although whatsapp is sending an SMS message the developers created the input box as a general text input box and Swype will display the normal keyboard accordingly.
How can we override it to always be enter key? Not all of us are twelve
Enter

Ravlen
12-29-2011, 10:54 PM
When Swype started forcing the Smiley key instead of the carriage return (ENTER) key back in a summer update, it was a big headache for me (detailed here: http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?4311-ENTER-KEY-in-place-of-)&highlight=ravlen ).

Then, in a fall update, this was "fixed". I rejoiced and went back to swyping as per normal. Apparently, what I thought was a fix, was actually a "bug", and in the latest update we're back to seeing the smiley in "SMS" fields. As mentioned in my previous post, Softbank in Japan uses their own app ( https://market.android.com/details?id=jp.softbank.mb.mail ) for sending messages, which uses ONE field for SMS, MMS AND e-mail. Swype detects the SMS field and thus removes the enter key. This means I am unable to input carriage returns into E-MAILS, as well as SMS and MMS. It can't be done from the main language layer, not from the two alternate character layers, not from the numeric keypad layer, not even from the edit layer.

The smiley, though, is present EIGHT TIMES in the 5 layers. EIGHT. Twice in the main language layer (enter and Z key), twice in the first alternate character layer, twice in the second alternate layer, once in the numeric keypad layer, and once in the edit layer.

Really? EIGHT times for the smiley key? ZERO times for the carriage return? Why would anyone delve into the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th layers for something available on the first layer? That makes no sense at all.

I saw some people argue that SMS was never intended for long messages, so carriage returns were never intended to be used. Yet, it is a part of the original SMS standard, the modern GSM messaging standards, etc... It's included in every character set used by every provider in every language in the world (UTF-16 or other). I'm sure everyone can think of uses for the carriage return in small messages, like separating the lines of addresses, or for separating distinct, yet short, thoughts.

Ex:
123 Fake Street, Springfield, State, US, 90210
vs
123 Fake Street
Springfield
State, US

(Looking at the above example, I see that a carriage return would be useful before and after the "vs" too, to separate the examples).

I saw another post that details how you can switch the intended usage of the enter button in Handcent SMS from enter to smiley, and vice versa. So Handcent SMS acknowledges that people want carriage returns. The difference in my case is that my provider's app ( https://market.android.com/details?id=jp.softbank.mb.mail ) assumes you will always have carriage returns available in your keyboard. My provider's keyboard has BOTH a smiley and a carriage return button, and doesn't assume that another keyboard will remove access to the carriage return. There is no standard anywhere that says carriage returns should not be used in SMS or MMS, or in my case E-mails as well (since my provider's app uses the same field for SMS and E-mail).

Lastly, I've detailed in another post how the removal of the ENTER key actually breaks another language (Japanese). This language uses three different "alphabets", and Enter is NEEDED in the input process. ( http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?2695-Japanese-Language-Beta-Feedback/page5&highlight=ravlen ).

Additional Note:
While I was looking again at Japanese input, I noticed that if you long-press "Smiley", it actually shows "Enter", but when you release your finger, it still only does a smiley (even though it indicated that it was going to put a carriage return by displaying "Enter" above your finger).

So, to finish this very long complaint/plea, please please please make the Carriage Return / Smiley switch OPTIONAL. If not, at least make it a long press option. It completely breaks e-mail input for me, as well as Japanese input.

Please? :'(

Ravlen

Vetdoctor
01-01-2012, 8:23 PM
Interesting, I have Swype 3.26.D beta on my htc vivid and the smileys are not in place of the enter key even in the SMS field.

zwgGtX
01-03-2012, 11:05 AM
In addition to what was said I find swyping smileys (added them to my custom word list) a lot faster than using the smiley key

saviour07
01-05-2012, 4:52 PM
I completely agree with Ravlen here!

I thought it was standard that the return carriage key was placed where it was in the SMS field until I updated to the latest Beta and found the smiley button there instead!
I was extremely disappointed when I found (after a LOT of Google searching!) that it was a bug and the smiley key was what should really be there, because I use new line in SMS a lot.
I understand that some people won't but like Ravlen pointed out, there isn't even the option in any of the key layers for a carriage return yet there are eight in total for smileys!

The current version of Swype on my Samsung Galaxy S is 3.26.92.37604.

I have no idea what the previous version was but I'm half tempted to source the apk and install it until an official implementation of carriage return is present in SMS.

msluki4
01-07-2012, 6:39 AM
I hate smilies on this button!
And not even to go to a new line!

cfmarque
01-07-2012, 4:02 PM
I actually registered to add my 2 cents to this issue, since it's so annoying.

I was blissfully unaware of this "feature" until I got tired of waiting for the official GB update for the Captivate, so I decided to install CM7.1, and there it is, a smiley face instead of a carriage return when using the bundled messaging app in CM7 (which I did verify it DOES accept CR characters).

Honestly I can't believe that the majority of users find this useful, and for those smiley depraved people can't they already hold the Z key to bring up the smiley menu so they can be chummy with their smiley friends?

Using Swype Beta version 3.26.92.37604

Swype is great, love it since I got my phone more than a year ago. Here's a smile for ya'll :cool:

Vetdoctor
01-09-2012, 9:12 AM
I looked at my beta download on the Vivid running sense. It is the same as yours except a "D" after the 92 and more characters trailing the end. Have you tried deleting the beta you are using and re-installing from the more recent beta? I do not see the smiley issue on my version.

Ravlen
01-10-2012, 7:14 PM
@vetdoctor What are you using to send SMS messages? It is possible that your SMS app isn't using the standard "SMS Input Field" and is instead using a basic input field (I don't know what they are actually called in the developer tools).

-----

Clearly this is a problem for many people. I'd bet the Swype developers are capable of fixing this in minutes (add Enter as a long press option). You can't tell me that that isn't easy. You don't need to add menus, you don't need to do anything other than make it a long press option. Odds are, there are at least a few people in the company that noticed a lack of carriage returns and mentioned it to other people. So, I believe, someone in the company is forcing the enter key to be omitted, even as an option, in other words it isn't an oversight.

Why is this the case? Could someone from Swype please clarify the reasoning behind taking away carriage returns from people who are using their KEYBOARD? What is the reasoning for putting a smiley key in the edit layer? What is the reasoning for putting a smiley in the numeric layer? Do the usage statistics show ANYONE using smileys when in other layers?

Apparently, the smiley is so important that we need to see it 8 times in all layers. If that's the case, why don't we put "E" four times in the main layer, since we use that key so often. Why not remove the "Z" key and put it on a secondary layer since we rarely use it, or maybe as a long press option only, and have the smiley replace the Z key since it's so much more important?

Ryan Cross has replied on a Japanese language thread that the Enter key should not have been removed from the Japanese Keyboard and will be returned in a later update. Why can't someone from swype reply to this thread with information about the English language keyboard too?

Ravlen

Doktor J
01-12-2012, 10:04 AM
I too am annoyed by this; one of the reasons I switched to swype was to hopefully get rid of that smiley key. Why can't we have an option for smiley/enter/nothing?

andydumi
01-17-2012, 5:08 PM
I agree on changing it to enter or remove it altogether. Smiley is already available as a long press on the keyboard.

Skeven
01-24-2012, 3:24 PM
Registered just to say that this too is driving me insane. I never use the smiley key and am so lost without the enter key.
I'd prefer it to go back to just enter or have an option to switch.

ubcjack
02-16-2012, 1:20 PM
I agree it should change to enter instead of smile face

kayvan
02-19-2012, 1:24 PM
I'm also with Ravlen. If you won't change it back, then at the very least, give an option for the user to choose.

NickCrellin
02-22-2012, 9:42 PM
Please bring back the enter key! I'll settle with an option that I must select this override.

chimpeenuts
02-24-2012, 10:38 AM
I think SwiftKey X handles this situation pretty well. It allows a long-press on the smiley and then it allows you to choose a return. Ideally it would be nice to allow the user to choose what they want.

While I like Swype very much for the actual swype technology, many other keyboard inputs have a LOT more customization options and features (sometimes multiple pages).

I think doing so for Swype would really add to its appeal and I can't imagine it's that hard to let users toggle smiley vs return on that key.

Dissonance
02-24-2012, 3:06 PM
I use Handcent SMS as my default text message app and I never had the missing enter key. It seems there is an "action key" in the application settings that is set to enter by default (thank goodness).

I agree with everybody here that there needs to be an enter key (or at least an option for one). I use enter in text messages far more than the smiley.

Besides, long pressing Z gives you all the smileys instead of just the default happy.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Sam Segers
02-26-2012, 2:55 PM
Plus now we got 2 buttons and pressing the smiley button brings up the menu above the z. I would like to see more options in the settings. Like this one.

Ravlen
02-27-2012, 3:33 AM
There is now a workaround!

"Enter" is required to input Japanese properly, so Swype has released a special beta that NEVER removes the enter key (as far as I can tell).

To get this, you must completely uninstall Swype and the Swype installer. Get the latest installer from the website, install it, and when you run it, choose "Swype BETA Japanese". That will give you back your enter key!

Downsides: Japanese is included by default and can't be uninstalled (but can still be made inactive by deselecting it in the language options). Any other language can still be downloaded though.

I don't think they want people to use this unless they need Japanese input (I live in Japan, fyi), but I hope they don't mind others using this...

Ravlen (happily Swyping in SMS again!)

djhighmass
03-08-2012, 3:18 AM
There is nothing in the SMPP protocol that restricts the use of newline characters. The fact that some SMS providers might happen to enforce a restriction is a problem for the people who use those providers. I don't use one of those providers, and I don't see why I should have my keyboard limited because they exist elsewhere. Please allow me to choose whether an SMS field can include SMS characters and don't make the assumption for me.

pb0001
03-15-2012, 6:03 AM
This is incredibly annoying behaviour. I'm astonished that the design team who put together the spec for this (at an OS level) decided that this should be dictated to the users. I'm very happy that GO SMS apparently doesn't code the SMS body field as an SMS field.

However Seesmic (twitter client) does.

I would really like Swype to give us the option of somehow accessing the carriage return key. Be it a user-accessibly setting which overrides this behaviour, or adding the Enter key to the list of smileys brought up by long-pressing the smiley key.

Billingsgate
03-15-2012, 6:35 AM
I'll quickly weigh in for a vote in favor of reinstating the Enter key on all layers. I very often use Enter in composing SMS.

Considering how smart everything else is about Swype, this decision to give such huge priority to smileys is awfully hard to understand. My daughter tells me that "nobody" uses smileys these days, except in an ironic way.

David Johnstone
03-15-2012, 10:37 AM
This is somewhat similar to the requests we see for the removal of the language button for single-language users, as well as the request to keep it for users who use more than one language on a regular basis. The bottom line is this, really: if I'm used to a particular key being available (be it the microphone key, globe key, emoticon key, etc.), it should be available - period. But if I am a user who simply has no reason to verbally dictate text, for example, I should be able to disable that pesky microphone key that takes up space on my keyboard (and also activates a voice session when all I was trying to do was insert a space/period/apostrophe/etc.)!

This is the kind of feature request you are likely to see enacted in future releases of Swype. I can say that this is one item on a very comprehensive list of features that are all being seriously considered.

Billingsgate
03-15-2012, 8:26 PM
A user-programmable button, including long-press options for secondary uses? I'd make my primary one Go to Edit Level, with switch language as a long-press selectable option.

Moridin
03-20-2012, 12:36 PM
SMS allows 160 characters and none of those should be a carriage return.

Don't tell me how to use my device. There is no reason to not have an option to turn off the smiley key. There are people that don't want it, stop forcing them to have it. I have no use for a smiley key, and it's none of your business what my text messages look like. I like Swype a lot, but I'm not going to use it as long as people like you think you can tell me how to use my device.

Kelven99874
03-25-2012, 2:44 AM
I agree. There are already a lot of smileys included. I actually created an account just to voice out my opinion, which is that the main smiley key is to be changed into the Carriage Return key. There is already one handy smiley symbol when long-pressing letter 'Z'. Please update it, or at least allow us to customise our keyboard. I had to keep switching back into the phone manufacturer's keyboard to enter a line and switch back to Swype for swyping.

Kelven99874
03-25-2012, 2:59 AM
I agree. Besides, we create paragraphs to separate two unrelated content or to make things more clearly. Since space and the 'break' (enter) counts as one character, wouldn't the break be much more useful than the smiley key repeated 8 times in total and none for the Carriage Return key? (And if you want to include smileys, there is no need to repeat it 8 times. And not everyone is 100% happy 100% of the time. I am quite sure of that.) Change just one smiley key into the carriage return and everyone would be happy.

gschanuel
03-26-2012, 2:57 PM
just to say +1

i miss the carriage return a lot!!

It would be great if we could choose if we want a smillie key or the carriage return

thanks

Ruth Balchin
04-05-2012, 9:14 PM
Hi
I tend to send lists and addresses to my friends and family when I'm txting but since switching to swype I am struggling to do this easily as my enter key is a smily face and will not add a new line. I do love swype but would love it more with this feature.

thank you

Billingsgate
04-06-2012, 11:48 PM
How often have you received an SMS and you have no idea who it's from? Happens to me frequently. That's why I always skip a line at the end and put in my name. Can't do it with Swype.

By the way, my kids tell me smileys are out of fashion. Never saw the use of them in the first place. Why are they all over the place on the Swype keyboard?
:confused::mad::(:p

Jeromeo
05-31-2012, 9:38 AM
JUST GIVE ME THE OPTION IN SETTINGS!!!
All I want is the ability to change the option to decide between Carriage Return (ENTER) key from smileys.
I used it all the time. I'm 31 now. I rarely use smileys anymore. Especially to send texts to coworkers, employees, clients, etc.
My friend has SwiftKey X and he can change every option EVER. He can even choose how many milliseconds a long-hold for alternate numbers/symbols is.
PLEASE DON'T BECOME OBSTINATE AS A COMPANY AND DO ONLY WHAT YOU WANT! GIVE CONSUMERS THE OPTION!!!!

bikensail
06-03-2012, 5:39 PM
Hello Swype developers,

I recently upgraded to the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon, ICS 4.04

I am no longer able to use the enter key for a new line in a text message. In it's place is the selection of smilies choices.

Are you folks crazy?? Please tell us why a bunch of childish smily choices are more important than a return or new line feature??

Come on, join the forum and tell us why.

Standard keyboard features include Shift, Tab, Space, Backspace, Numbers, and Return (newline). These are long established input features, and smily faces are not.

I always thought that Swype was a quality leader in this technology field. However I now question why Swype woul choose smiley faces over legacy functionality.

Childish, is my opinion.

bikensail
06-03-2012, 5:46 PM
Every one knows how to make a smily face with key strokes.

There is no clever way to make a Return key. Don't blame the carrier, VZW, you ought to own up to being the developer of Swype, and therefore dictate functional minimums.

Return keys are industry standard.

Smily keys are a childish addition.

namklak
06-20-2012, 3:34 PM
On the other hand, I hate having the enter key (which serves no purpose in sms text msgs) under the delete key - I have now sent many incomplete msgs with the last word wrong, because my fat finger hit the enter key (which sends) instead of the delete key.

mjsztainbok
06-22-2012, 12:38 PM
When the emoticon key is present, there is no way to do a newline. I tried long holding the emoticon key but this just brings up the list of emoticons and I also looked in the Edit keys layout and there is nothing there.

This is on a Motorola Atrix 4G with the new Swype Beta.

Is there a way to add a newline? If not, this is a necessity as often you need to split a line especially in an SMS which where I have the emoticons generally enabled.

dereklau
06-22-2012, 4:14 PM
+1 for ENTER rather than smileys!
Especially if you fix this other issue so that people can swype in their own smileys
http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?6418-Can-no-longer-add-punctuation-to-dictionary

João Almeida
06-25-2012, 4:18 AM
Just 6 months after the original post, nothing happened.
That guy Ravlen showed the ridiculous of this matter and not a single thing was done.

I must tell you that I often switch to the native keyboard just to input the carriage return/line break and then I don't have that much will to go back to Swype....
You see, Swype is something I don't live without since I got to know it, but I just can't realize how is it possible to have that many options and that many layers and not having one single return/line break key.

This wasn't a step backwards, this was a shot on your own feet.

Don't you want Beta to test feats, bugs and listen to public's voice before releasing final versions? So why aren't you listening to us?

David Johnstone
07-01-2012, 7:49 PM
Don't you want Beta to test feats, bugs and listen to public's voice before releasing final versions? So why aren't you listening to us?

Yup, that's exactly why we run the Swype Beta program, and you can be assured that we do listen. :) Keep in mind that we also must balance the feedback we get here with requirements from our customers (i.e. OEM device makers). While it's true that we make no guarantee that feature requests gathered here will be released in future versions, feedback on this Forum are absolutely taken into consideration.

João Almeida
07-02-2012, 2:33 AM
I'm sorry. Reading my post, now I see I got carried away and it must have been heartening for you to have a product to be humbly tested by everyone and to be humbly criticised.
You see, I just got carried away because I saw 6 months of criticising and still all the same, when that smiley key is really a bugger... even respecting that OEM makers have their requirements and you must meet them, I believe it's no big deal, neither for you nor OEM makers, to give free choice to the user for the return key or smiley key (which already has 8 possible entries...).
Thank you for all

belomeclone
07-08-2012, 1:55 AM
There is no reason to have the smiley key replace the enter key. It is stupid. Get rid of it. WHY IS THIS TAKING SO LONG?!

davidhaha
07-22-2012, 8:24 PM
I agree too-- please bring back the carriage return!

trevrev
07-24-2012, 4:50 AM
I have just installed swype on a new phone after using it previously on another and have immediately encountered the lack of the enter key.
This is such a big issue for me that I will not be using the swype keyboard, which is such a pity. I will be looking for an alternative instead.
So PLEASE fix this.

iMinkey
07-24-2012, 7:41 AM
Didn't read all posts, but yes; these shortcuts are a bloody nightmare. Swype devs, please stop trying to be too clever and just remove them!

Sent via Tapatalk2 on SG Note

gillem
08-13-2012, 10:39 AM
How to have the "Enter Button" in SMS writing? I've smileys... :rolleyes: I don't know how to change ! :(
(It was possible on my "old" Galaxy S)

On a Galaxy Nexus 4.1.1 French language. Swype Beta 1.03.5809

crimsona
08-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Use a different SMS app
GoSMS Pro lets you choose whether to have enter or smiley

qayyah
08-15-2012, 4:10 PM
How to have the "Enter Button" in SMS writing? I've smileys... :rolleyes: I don't know how to change ! :(

I'm not sure what messaging app you're using, but I just found it in chompSMS while changing some other settings. Go to settings > more stuff > scroll to keyboard (towards the bottom) > smiley or enter > enter key. hope that helps

BillGoss
08-17-2012, 7:33 PM
Thanks for this. It works in the standard JB MMS app - settings/soft keyboard type

Sent from my Desire S

BillGoss
08-17-2012, 7:41 PM
I'm using JB on HTC Desire S. In the stock MMS application you can choose how the keyboard behaves. It's under settings/soft keyboard type.

Sent from my Desire S

gaetawoo
08-18-2012, 1:52 PM
+1 for ENTER rather than smileys!
Especially if you fix this other issue so that people can swype in their own smileys
http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?6418-Can-no-longer-add-punctuation-to-dictionary

I agree. I do it like SwiftKey. there is the enter button and a long press gives the smilies. simple and perfect

gaetawoo
08-18-2012, 1:56 PM

You can also use SwiftKey which gives the enter button and then allows you to long press it for smilies. it also has Google voice dictation integrated. I don't work for SwiftKey but swype has ticked me off. They won't implement the things their beta testers scream for.

Lainey Marie
08-18-2012, 9:41 PM
I just got a new phone, Kyocera Hydro, and I'm without an enter key. I instead have TWO smiley face keys when i text. I find it almost impossible to text friends without an enter key. Everything just gets so confusing. Enter key is way more important than a smiley face key.

madcap
08-22-2012, 7:47 PM
Please give an option to change between smiley face and enter. Or better yet, just remove the smiley key and make newline/return the default

Allen SGS2
08-23-2012, 7:35 AM
By the moment, this option exist, but not on the Swype preferences but in the SMS app. For example, in GO SMS there is an option to make the enter key change to emoticon or leave it as new line.

CoraCora
08-28-2012, 5:15 AM
Just registered to say that I hate this. Together with the auto-adding of gibberish words, I find Swype now unusable. Uninstalling and off to find another keyboard. I really liked you, Swype...

frankie1220
09-14-2012, 2:23 PM
AT&T Galaxy Note (i717)
4.1.1 CyanogenMod 10

In the stock messaging app the enter is replaced with a smiley button. I dunno if it's part of what CM done to Swype or it's something Swype did. I would love to change it back to an enter button

Sohailz
10-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Why the "enter key" is not present even in this new version of swype beta??? Why are they missing such an important key. !!!!!

amcas522
10-18-2012, 12:23 PM
I just received the update and the enter key is there and works fine. I'm using handcent sms.

thedicemaster
10-18-2012, 12:45 PM
enter key also works fine in the Samsung sms app on my galaxy note 2.

mjsztainbok
10-18-2012, 1:34 PM
Hmmm...in the new beta 1.3 there is still no way to do Enter when the Smiley key is displayed. This can't be that hard to fix or make an option.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

David Johnstone
10-18-2012, 9:04 PM
Why the "enter key" is not present even in this new version of swype beta??? Why are they missing such an important key. !!!!!

The Enter key is a dynamic key and will change according to calls from applications within Android. E.g., many default SMS apps may tell us the Enter key can equal an emoticon, etc.

Dissonance
10-19-2012, 1:54 PM
Hmmm...in the new beta 1.3 there is still no way to do Enter when the Smiley key is displayed. This can't be that hard to fix or make an option.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

I noticed that your sig says cm. If that is for cyanogenmod 10 then you can fix this in the stock messaging app by going into settings and selecting "soft keyboard type"

Sent from my "decked" out Evo LTE

DaveQB
10-25-2012, 8:59 PM
Thank you so much for this solution!

I noticed that your sig says cm. If that is for cyanogenmod 10 then you can fix this in the stock messaging app by going into settings and selecting "soft keyboard type"

Sent from my "decked" out Evo LTE

CrunchyToast
11-23-2012, 3:27 PM
I know this thread is a bit old, but it's not swype causing the smileys. It's your app itself. For example, in SMS there is a setting for 'Soft Keyboard Type'. My options were Emoji, Send, or Enter for return. There you can change the smileys to return.

CrunchyToast
11-23-2012, 3:28 PM
Yes, whoever can see the option 'Soft Keyboard Type' can change the smileys to return.

Sometimes
11-28-2012, 12:52 PM
I prefer the smiley. Text messages usually aren't (or shouldn't be in my opinion) long enough to warrant using the return key and there is already a send button within the text app.

I do like having options though for people who want it different.

esiu69
11-29-2012, 7:16 AM
+1 for the enter key. you already have the smileys plus they are useless anyway in the present form. they take up 3 characters instead of two. one should be able to edit the smileys and create ones they use. but the lack of enter in text messages is extremely annoying. i'm gonna find another keyboard as this one is not usable, which is a shame.

subssubs
11-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Long time user, first time forum poster.
concur that the keyboard is missing the ability to enter a new line/CR/line break- whatever you want to call it, it needs to be in there. I don't need smileys, I need a line break. Fail.

Oh- and not to flame but- pls. don't tell me I don't need it, or that it is application dependent. Just add it back into the next version.

Thanks.

subssubs
11-29-2012, 11:52 AM
+1 - need line break back.

Still looking for an answer in forums and seeing I'm not alone in thinking this is a missing feature. (Dare say I, "bug"?)

Anyway- concur that the keyboard is missing the ability to enter a new line/CR/line break- whatever you want to call it, it needs to be in there. I don't need smileys, I need a line break. Fail.

Oh- and not to flame but- pls. don't tell me I don't need it, or that it is application dependent. Just add it back into the next version please.

Thanks.

subssubs
11-29-2012, 11:53 AM
It's the SMS / messaging app.

Still looking for an answer in forums and seeing I'm not alone in thinking this is a missing feature.

Anyway- concur that the keyboard is missing the ability to enter a new line/CR/line break- whatever you want to call it, it needs to be in there. I don't need smileys, I need a line break.

bberryhill0
11-29-2012, 9:46 PM
I have a carriage return key and it works in texts.

frankie1220
12-05-2012, 12:26 PM
At some point it was only a software problem, a previous nightly of CyanogenMod created or had this issue, but now at stable version which is CM10. You can change that in the messaging settings

Sometimes
12-06-2012, 11:11 AM

Still looking for an answer in forums and seeing I'm not alone in thinking this is a missing feature. (Dare say I, "bug"?)

Anyway- concur that the keyboard is missing the ability to enter a new line/CR/line break- whatever you want to call it, it needs to be in there. I don't need smileys, I need a line break. Fail.

Oh- and not to flame but- pls. don't tell me I don't need it, or that it is application dependent. Just add it back into the next version please.

Thanks.

Not to flame but don't tell me we need the return key or that it is a bug. It isn't. The key that shows up there is dependent on the application you are using. If the stock sms app wants it to be a smiley, it is a smiley. Swype is respecting the developer. If you want it changed ask whatever developer controls the sms app you're using.

If Swype could add a line break swype action that would be great. Like a swype from the smiley to the space bar or something like that.

Sometimes
12-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Long time user, first time forum poster.
concur that the keyboard is missing the ability to enter a new line/CR/line break- whatever you want to call it, it needs to be in there. I don't need smileys, I need a line break. Fail.

Oh- and not to flame but- pls. don't tell me I don't need it, or that it is application dependent. Just add it back into the next version.

Thanks.

Do your customers, friends, family or whatever a favor and stop writing texts that need to be so long that they need a line break in them. Email the developer of your sms program and have them do it. Your posts come off as the flames that you are telling others not write.

handled_badly
12-06-2012, 3:44 PM
^Says the flamer here. FAIL.

Seriously though, I have the exact same problem in Google Talk, which isn't an SMS program at all!

givemeareturn
12-06-2012, 8:42 PM
ok - have just registered to give my two cents. no enter key is completely mad, and if a developer of a messaging app thinks we don't need it, then it would be awfully nice for swype to give us an option to ignore his faulty thinking. as it used to in the earlier versions.

but someone above had said cyanogenmod could perhaps alter this in "messaging" messaging -settings. where might those be. i'm on CM 7.2.

so now the most pressing question - what is the last version of swype that has a return key. how to get an .APK of that?

givemeareturn
12-06-2012, 8:43 PM
ok - have just registered to give my two cents. no enter key is completely mad, and if a developer of a messaging app thinks we don't need it, then it would be awfully nice for swype to give us an option to ignore his faulty thinking. as it used to in the earlier versions.

but someone up there had said cyanogenmod could perhaps alter this in "messaging" messaging -settings. where might those be. i'm on CM 7.2.

so now the most pressing question - what is the last version of swype that has a return key. how to get an .APK of that?

justinkyulee
12-17-2012, 11:58 AM
I simply can't use Swype as my daily keyboard anymore since I can never have the line break while using Swype. Swype should offer the option to disable the emoticon button since it's already integrated into the "z" key. I don't see why we need two emoticon keys and no linebreak/enter key in some apps where I need to enter text with a line break. It's doesn't make sense that the development team needs to rely on other developers to do their part when they can just fix the problem to begin with. Maybe a line break gesture to solve the problem?

Wezmon
12-19-2012, 5:55 PM
I'm with justinkyulee. I've been using Swype beta for about 2 weeks now, and while I have found it generally better than any other keyboard I've had on my Galaxy S2 before, I simply cannot use it any longer due to the baffling decision to not have a return key in sms fields.

I will be checking in from time to time to see if someone sees reason and includes this much needed "feature".

bberryhill0
12-19-2012, 8:35 PM
I can't reproduce this problem. It may be Samsung.

nedmartin
12-19-2012, 9:48 PM
I have an enter key in SMS, which makes this a little confusing... but just a suggestion - have you tried the Edit keyboard (Swype from Swype key to 123 key) in Swype? Is there an enter key in that? I also have an enter key in that.

justinkyulee
12-20-2012, 12:34 PM
It's not Samsung.. I'm on Swype beta and I have a Sprint LG Optimus G. I don't know how it would be since everyone Here should be on Swype Beta..

justinkyulee
12-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Edit keyboard also takes away line break/enter key and replaces it with the emoticons key.

bberryhill0
12-21-2012, 12:40 PM
The edit keyboard has an enter key on my Incredible 4G.

delete_this_account
12-23-2012, 6:29 AM
i use sony xperia tipo. i have same problem with swype. using the beta since 2 months.sonny stock keyboard has a return button however. only swype beta doesnt show return button in sms or google talk.it shows return button only in whatsapp for me. i hope they fix this soon.reverting to stock keyboard for now

gwardell2
12-25-2012, 7:52 AM
Hi,

I have a tip. It may not be good for everybody, but perhaps some can use it.

I have a Droid X with Gingerbread. Both the Swype and the Android keyboard have the emote button for SMS input.

At the suggestion of Droid for Dummies I got the AK Notepad for making notes. It DOES have an enter key. So I've been entering multi-line text there and then copy and pasting the multi-line text into the SMS window. So far it works great.

As a side benefit the notepad window is much larger then the SMS window for entering text.

Gary

Prometheus76
12-29-2012, 10:33 AM
I often don't use smiles. I'm a grown man lol. I will argue the fact that users want this enter key though. Reason being, in my understanding of what Rob has said, this is not forced due to the fact that Swype is respecting what application builders are asking for. Who knows what problems can occur on apps that want or need it to be in this manner. Sometimes users just can't have what they want when they want it. Would you prefer Swype to neglect how things should be done to work with other apps just so you can have an enter key?

Captain Paralytic
12-31-2012, 8:01 AM
Come on developers please please please let us have an option to have a new line/enter key all the time. In Google Talk the stock keyboard gives me a newline key. I really want to know that the key will always do what I expect it to do.

Is it really too much to ask for a setting like this?

Gertrude
01-01-2013, 3:49 PM
Hi,

At the suggestion of Droid for Dummies I got the AK Notepad for making notes. It DOES have an enter key. So I've been entering multi-line text there and then copy and pasting the multi-line text into the SMS window. So far it works great.

As a side benefit the notepad window is much larger then the SMS window for entering text.

Gary

That's what I've been doing. I needed to tweet a haiku poem and that's how I worked around the problem. I'd gladly sacrifice the smiley, after all you can make one yourself easily enough.

chimalli
01-11-2013, 8:47 AM
Well, I'm a Symbian user trying to get a new Android phone.
I came here looking for the apps I use right now in my symbian phone.
It's a little contradictory for me to see that Swype for Android is not as good as the symbian version.
Symbian version has not this problem. Enter key is where it has to be.
I'm not sure why the android version must be different.

skipwilly
01-13-2013, 10:20 PM
I must say. The smiley button is completely worthless.
Not only is it in the most inconvenient position (I often hit it when hitting send or trying to delete something, upon which I have to apologize to whomever I am texting for the unintended smiley), but the smileys in it aren't even ones that I would want to use. Seriously, who the hell uses the smiley face with a nose? :-)...that smiley just yells to the world that I am 80 years old and am using a phone that is way too advanced for my uses.

I hate that damn button, and would really prefer to have the enter key...like any NORMAL keyboard. I understand how Swype doesn't want to just undo what the application developer intended to be there. However, I do believe that each user should have the option to override the stupid, awkward, and bad taste of a developer.

That said, the enter key is useful. I use it for a lot of things: listing things, putting multiple hyperlinks in a text in an organized fashion, separating thoughts in a text). Basically the enter key lets me write texts the way I WANT TO. If someone likes the completely ridiculous smiley button, then let them have it. You can even make that the default option! Just give me the choice to get rid of the awful button and replace it with something that I actually WANT TO USE.

Swype developers listen to your faithful users please!

skipwilly
01-13-2013, 10:22 PM
I posted this on another thread about the enter/smiley key. I think that this is just that important of an issue for people to see this post twice. Death to the smiley button! Long live the enter key!

I must say. The smiley button is completely worthless.
Not only is it in the most inconvenient position (I often hit it when hitting send or trying to delete something, upon which I have to apologize to whomever I am texting for the unintended smiley), but the smileys in it aren't even ones that I would want to use. Seriously, who the hell uses the smiley face with a nose? :-)...that smiley just yells to the world that I am 80 years old and am using a phone that is way too advanced for my uses.

I hate that damn button, and would really prefer to have the enter key...like any NORMAL keyboard. I understand how Swype doesn't want to just undo what the application developer intended to be there. However, I do believe that each user should have the option to override the stupid, awkward, and bad taste of a developer.

That said, the enter key is useful. I use it for a lot of things: listing things, putting multiple hyperlinks in a text in an organized fashion, separating thoughts in a text). Basically the enter key lets me write texts the way I WANT TO. If someone likes the completely ridiculous smiley button, then let them have it. You can even make that the default option! Just give me the choice to get rid of the awful button and replace it with something that I actually WANT TO USE.

Swype developers listen to your faithful users please!

skipwilly
01-15-2013, 2:39 PM
Should Swype users have the option to turn off the Smiley Key or replace it with the Enter/Return Key?

I really think we should. If you agree please vote, or even if you disagree voice your opinion here.
Let's help our devs by letting them know which features we would like to see added/removed/modified.

yoowel
01-17-2013, 4:41 AM
A return key is just what I am looking for: I miss making a new line in text messages... So far this is the ONLY bad thing I have found, regarding this otherwise great piece of app.
Always pro choice/flexibility (maybe up to a certain point though, don't wan't a bloated config screen either...).

yoowel
01-17-2013, 4:52 AM
I second this request! Smileys are fine, but a carriage return should definitely be available for easy access as well or as an option for the same key.

azzadh
01-29-2013, 1:32 PM
I really am no pro at coding but I can understand some of it and I had the opportunity to have a look at some of the coding of the SMS app of Samsung Galaxy S, the problem is actually with the SMS app not with swype. It is completely fine with my phone and tablet, and on the phones of some other friends for whom I installed swype.

As it has been pointed by one of my co-swyper above; Handcent SMS presents the user with opportunity to make the call themselves, it is because they decided to provide features that the OEMs failed to provide, in fact, these apps flourish only because OEMs fail to see what the users want.

TuralM
02-06-2013, 7:29 AM
When I write SMS on my Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.2.1, it is impossible to put new line, because there is not "Enter" button on Swype keyboard. Behavior of default keyboard is same, but Google added possibility to put new line when pressing to "Shift" button (enhancement issue for Android (http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1338#c25)). Screenshot:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-AaHtnl3-S24/URJaxAkjiwI/AAAAAAAAA1Q/nU9YyYFLYow/s512/screenshot_0206143352.png
It would be better if you will implement a similar feature. There also may be another way to replace "Smile" button with "Enter" button. For example:
- Option to always replace "Smile" button with "Enter" button;
- Using gestures.

Here (http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?5039-The-infamous-Smiley-key-vs-ENTER-(Carriage-Return)-Key), here (http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?5481-Enter-key-to-add-new-line), here (http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?2568-No-Enter-button-on-swype), and in many other topics (https://www.google.az/search?q=new+line+button+sms+site%3Aforum.swype.co m&oq=new+line+button+sms+site%3Aforum.swype.com&aqs=chrome.0.57.13437&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8) you can see that, many people wants to replace "Smile" button with "Enter" button. If you do not want to replace, so give another ability to insert new line as was done by Google.

BillGoss
02-09-2013, 1:06 PM
The use of Smilies or Enter is controlled by the Message app. Go to settings/soft keyboard type.

Sent from my HTC Desire S

jes0411
02-13-2013, 10:34 AM
I totally agree.
And many people too.

handled_badly
02-13-2013, 6:30 PM
Kii keyboard handles this in an excellent fashion, with its Enter button offering to do many other things when you hold it. Ironically holding Swype's enter key fires absolutely nothing. It's an area of improvement they're leaving untapped for now...

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

TuralM
02-13-2013, 11:34 PM
The use of Smilies or Enter is controlled by the Message app. Go to settings/soft keyboard type.

Sent from my HTC Desire S
Where is "settings/soft keyboard type"? I cannot find "soft keyboard type" in the settings of Messaging application of Galaxy Nexus.

Google heard the desire of users and added the ability to put a line break via Android keyboard in Messaging application. Let's see whether Swype will hear our desire.

Beast_Power
02-21-2013, 1:52 AM
Please go and vote here, I think the programmers are idiots not to make it user option, I for one would have bought this application if it was not for this one downfall.

http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?10892-Can-the-smiley-button-be-optional-%28or-replaced-with-the-Enter-Return-key%29

Make it a friggin option and let the user choose, it is just as easy as that, or tell us if the programmers are not able to do it. If not the I will never bother to look at this application again. You must remember there ar very few of your potential users that wil come and ask that it be made a option, most will simply remove the application from their phone, and you will have lost another potential sale, just because you as developers are to stubborn to listen to your customer and potential customer base.

Looks like the non response from the Idiots @ Swiftkey shows that they just do not care what their customer base want, and yes I say idiots, because only an idiot will not listen to what their customers and potential customers want.

But the more I read about this I think they might be Kanging this software and are incapable of fixing the problem.

Beast_Power
02-21-2013, 2:02 AM
I Agree make it an option, think this is the one major drawback to this application

Jacob.W
02-21-2013, 9:56 AM
Thanks for voting all, keep it up!

The reason you don't see an option for return is due to the application itself. The SMS app you use is responsible for providing us with the correct field types. Certain apps let you choose a return key, while others don't. We provide whichever key is determined by the app on the keyboard when you use it.

Nevertheless, this feedback is really helpful for us in determining how to proceed.

Thanks again!

curiousgeorgie
02-21-2013, 11:24 AM
I use the enter key all the time in SMSs because it's a convenient way to separate thoughts without having to send two separate texts. I use the smiley key never because all the smileys have noses (I've just added my nose-less smileys to the dictionary, which makes it really easy to Swype them). Plus the smiley key is already there an alternate for the Z key. I'm going to add to the deluge of voices asking to please give users the option to choose which they prefer to have on the top layer of the keyboard, regardless of what the messaging app says. A well-made text field should get rid of any characters that don't apply, anyway.

Thank you!

bberryhill0
02-21-2013, 9:29 PM
Do other keyboards ignore the Android standards and ignore the apps' request to change the enter key?

bberryhill0
02-22-2013, 8:29 PM
On my Verizon hTC Incredible 4G running Android 4.0.4 I have never seen this problem. I don't think my Incredible 2 or Eris had this problem either.

dylanpuy.l
02-25-2013, 3:16 AM
Hello ,

I love this pad but i have a problem.
on 't have the key in sms app Huawei which permit to jump a line and i would Like to know how i can have it.
I love the key smile too but jump line it's more pratic.

Have you solution ?

Thank s for all

roydeep
02-25-2013, 6:13 AM
I really think we should have an Enter/Return key instead of the smiley - or at least an option to toggle it in Settings. This is especially important for SMS/text messages and is available as an option on other other keyboards like SwiftKey etc.

bberryhill0
02-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Deleted...

Jacob.W
02-25-2013, 2:13 PM
Hello all,

I've merged multiple threads on this topic so that discussion is centralized, instead of happening in a bunch of different threads.

Again, the reason you don't see an option for return is due to the application itself. The SMS app you use is responsible for providing us with the correct field types. Certain apps let you choose a return key, while others don't. We provide whichever key is determined by the app on the keyboard when you use it.

However, your feedback is still very helpful to us. Please continue discussion on this issue in this thread.

Thanks!

TuralM
02-25-2013, 10:58 PM

The reason you don't see an option for return is due to the application itself. The SMS app you use is responsible for providing us with the correct field types. Certain apps let you choose a return key, while others don't. We provide whichever key is determined by the app on the keyboard when you use it.

Nevertheless, this feedback is really helpful for us in determining how to proceed.

Thanks again!

I think it came up with Google. But nevertheless Google themselves have implemented a workaround.

Do other keyboards ignore the Android standards and ignore the apps' request to change the enter key?

The lack of "Enter" button annoyed me so much that I began to look closely at other keyboards.
JellyBean default keyboard (my post (http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?2160-quot-Enter-quot-button-instead-of-quot-Smile-quot&p=40935#post40935)).
SwiftKey Trial - One click inserts ":-)" smile, long press opens panel with smile buttons and Enter button. Screenshot (https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9NlTuUYsLFM/USxQr467aqI/AAAAAAAAA1g/hZr7BcFf5xk/s619/Screenshot_2013-02-26-09-50-08.png).
SlideIT Demo - application has option. I choosed to always show "Enter" button. Screenshot (https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-54G3WKaE_X4/USxbKy0KTBI/AAAAAAAAA2A/vqmYrNaUKlk/s619/Screenshot_2013-02-26-10-13-29.png).
Touchpal Keyboard V5 - shows "Enter" button by default. Screenshot (https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-kZFKcg4HAtk/USxQuMYkJ_I/AAAAAAAAA1w/NKOM0XtGiWw/s619/Screenshot_2013-02-26-09-51-13.png).

bberryhill0
02-26-2013, 11:01 AM
I really like when the enter button changes to "Go" for search fields. I wouldn't want to lose that.

Since Swype has smilies on the Z key and smilies are so easy to Swype it would make sense for Swype to ignore the call to change the Enter key to Smilies.

dylanpuy.l
03-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Yes but there are 2 buttons for smileys...

ikelos
03-05-2013, 7:19 AM
Summary of the Problem

With the stock SMS application on AOSP Android, and in certain other apps that have text fields which are marked "textShortMessage", the carriage return button is replaced with a smiley button.
Many people would like to be able to enter carriage returns, rather than smileys, although not everybody.
The Swype developers quite rightly adhere to the suggestions of the text fields, and use the smiley button on "textShortMessage" fields, just as the AOSP Android keyboard does.
Unlike the AOSP keyboard (where shift and the smiley key will provide a carriage return), there is no way to input a carriage return on the Swype keyboard when in this mode.

Irrelevant factors

There was initially some talk that by setting the field to textShortMessage, developers would be indicating that their text field could not handle carriage returns. This argument doesn't hold up since the Android default keyboard supports carriage returns in this mode, and if applications can crash because of it, that's a problem with the app, not the keyboard.

Many people have also suggested that the default SMS application can be changed by going to "Settings > Soft keyboard settings" however this was an addition made to the Cyanogenmod ROM (and potentially other custom ROMs) which is not present in AOSP android, the Nexus android ROMs, nor some standard manufacturer's ROMs, so unfortunately this isn't a viable solution for everybody.

Suggested Solutions

Use a different SMS app - That's avoiding the issue, rather than finding a reasonable solution. This will crop up on any field that marks itself as textShortMessage, so just using a different SMS client won't fix those issues.
Patch the stock SMS app - This is far outside the realm of most users, and again only solves the problem for the primary offender.
Patch the Swype application - This is almost certainly against the terms and conditions agreed when downloading Swype, and even then would need repatching every time a beta expires.
Change the smiley button to an enter button - This is a matter of choice, and the field setting suggests providing a smiley button rather than an enter button, so that's what should be done.
Provide another mechanism to input carriage returns - This seems like a sensible solution and maintains the smiley key for those that use it and have it ingrained, but still allows others to enter carriage returns.
Switch to the stock keyboard - This is an unfortunate option because it would mean losing the accuracy and gestural shortcuts that Swype provides, however it would allow carriage returns in any text field.

Summary & Question

I've tried to provide as broad a range of solutions as possible, and cover all the misconceptions surrounding this issue. The last/most recent reason for an enter key not being present, given by Swype on this thread, was that applications set fields that suggest what type of keyboard (and keys) should be available, which is true. However, there is no requirement that it be impossible to enter carriage returns (and in fact, the default Android keyboard supports this). Given how many different layers of keys are available, and the range of gestures added to swype (such as the incredibly specific Swype -> G -> M for Google maps), it must be possible to add one for inserting a carriage return.

Could an administrator therefore please provide a response specifically to the following question: Why can't (or if it can, when will) a carriage return capability be added to the Swype keyboard when the smiley key is suggested by the input field?

mainestratman
03-05-2013, 2:48 PM
I just changed from a Samsung Galaxy Blaze to a Motorola Electrify M. Imagine my dismay when the smilies on the "Z" key weren't there..

I've read through all the forum posts, etc., pertaining to this issue and believe the solution is simple:

Simply replace the EN (or "Language) long-press on the "Z" back to the smilies. Being able to add/edit/delete smilies would be great, but all I'd like it to have is my long-press smilies key back.. lol

That way.. we have our smilies and enter key and everyone is happy. Except for the 3 or 4 users who have to change their keyboard language on the fly.

TuralM
03-12-2013, 11:03 PM
Dear administrators, could clarify this question? Will you implement the possibility to put a line break using any method?

jammyd
03-15-2013, 7:53 AM
I again would would vot have a return key allways available. I have been using text messaging for a long time my son for a shorter period and as most operators allow you you exceed the standard sms text length by concatanating multiple messages together.

This feature of having extra long sms messages has been around for over a decade. Most phones even my ancient ones with monochromatic screens support the extra long messages and having the message with return keys.

Understand the Android framework, but isnt this product trying to make up for Android shortcomings and this certainly is one of them, as other os (Apple and Microsoft have a more sensible way of dealing with this).

My vote and my sons is to have a return key at all times

TuralM
03-25-2013, 2:01 AM
Dear Swype developers, what is your position on this issue?

RaptorX
03-30-2013, 3:17 PM
why not simply keep it like it is, i. e. smile key shows up application dependent but then allow to enter a carriage return by long pressing it... this is a very simple problem in my eyes.

TuralM
04-03-2013, 7:18 AM
Idiots from Google came up with the stupid thing. Because of this, it became impossible to put a line break when writing SMS. Then they understood their folly and did workaround the problem. They added ability to put new line after pressing "Shift" on their stock keyboard.
Ever since I started to use a mobile phone, on all my phones starting from Siemens C35i there were ability to put line break when entering SMS. It is very comfortable to read. Sometimes I write SMS to people who do not have my contacts in the phone, and my name is not define. That is why I put the signature at the end of SMS text is such cases. It is very convenient for reader when you add a signature to separate line. The text become more accurate if to put line break in corresponding places.
I understand that this is not the blame of the developers of Swype keyboard. I only ask them to be lenient with respect to users and to implement the ability to put a line break. Almost all developers of other keyboards, as well as Google themselves, have already done this future and have made it possible to put a line break (using different ways) where the program offers to use smiley button instead of a line break. Especially since I'm not alone here. There are many Swype users who also want this future - ability to put new line when writing SMS.

spencman97
04-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Please replace smiley with a return key. Thank you.

TuralM
04-12-2013, 3:19 AM
Dear Swype developers, are you going to implement this future?

BbErSeRkK
04-15-2013, 4:31 PM

Hi I have a Sony Xperia S, using the default SMS app with swype there is no way to put in a carriage return.
The default Sony keyboard lets me enter a carriage return
Swiftkey has the smiley buttons, but lets you press hold or shift simley to put in an enter key
An enter key in SMS is a big deal! please hear our pleas and put in an optional enter key for these fields

TuralM
04-23-2013, 4:40 AM
You can implement inserting new line instead of smile by gesturing from Swype button to smile button.

codeoverload
04-24-2013, 6:45 AM
Please add this, I bought Swype recently and this is the most frustrating feature of the entire keyboard.. every other keyboard has a return line

farsightxr20
04-24-2013, 8:12 AM
Swype is such a great keyboard, so this deficiency is really disappointing. There are so many ways a line-break could be implemented without replacing the smile key (shift+smile, long space, gesture+space, ...) and yet this thread has been open for 2 years with no progress. I really hope this gets fixed.

vollmilch
04-24-2013, 8:56 AM
I would like to add my voice/noise here...

I think it's totally fine if the newline character is not placed as prominent as the smiley thingy, but at least there must be *some* way (except for cut'n'paste) to enter it.

Why not introduce a gesture:
Swype-filed → n
?

TuralM
04-25-2013, 12:31 AM
Absence of this future is only reason why I use TouchPal instead of Swype. But I do not uninstall Swype hoping that Nuance will implement this future and I'll return to Swype (uninstall TouchPal and buy Swype from Google Play). Nuance, are you going to implement this future? Please give any reply, "yes" or "no".

ikelos
04-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Information:

Device Make/Model: LG/Google Nexus 4
Wireless Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Android Version: 4.2.2
ROM: Stock (Build JDQ39)
Root user: Yes
Swype Version: 1.5.0.15186

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start a program that uses textShortMessage fields such as the Stock Messenger application, or Google Talk.
2. Write a line of text and attempt to enter more text on a separate line.

Description of the problem:

I purchased Skype 1.5 this morning and expected to be able to press shift and then the Smiley key to get a new line just like the default Android keyboard in Android 4.2.2, but that just inserted a smiley. The new line character doesn't appear to be a key on any of the five layers (including the edit layer, which is where I thought I might be burried), and can't be entered by swiping from the swype key to the smiley key, or by long pressing the smiley key. I'm not sure whether it's simply impossible to do, or whether the documentation just doesn't mention it, but the searches I've done haven't turned up a method of writing too lines in such a field. If this is a documentation issue then the information should be made more prominent, perhaps adding it to the gestures help page. If there is no way of adding a new line character then this must be a regression because the default Android keyboard allows it.

If you need any further information just let me know...

Jacob.W
04-30-2013, 9:22 AM
All,

We are aware that this is a major issue for many of you. As we have stated previously in this thread, we currently listen to whatever app we are in to determine which key to return. So, if the app that you use provides us with a smiley key, we will provide a smiley key.

As many of you mention, however, besides relying on the app to provide the correct key there are other ways to get around this. In future versions of Swype, we would like to be able to provide a return key, even in cases where it is not provided by the app. This is a high priority for us, and we plan on making this available in future versions of Swype.

Thank you for your continued feedback and passionate responses.

gaetawoo
04-30-2013, 1:29 PM
all you guys should install aokp on your phone. we have an mms that lets you tell the keyboard which button to use, either an enter button or a smile button.

seriously Swype, it's ridiculous. swift Key does it, and you guys can't compete with them on a button?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

gaetawoo
04-30-2013, 2:02 PM
All,

We are aware that this is a major issue for many of you. As we have stated previously in this thread, we currently listen to whatever app we are in to determine which key to return. So, if the app that you use provides us with a smiley key, we will provide a smiley key.

As many of you mention, however, besides relying on the app to provide the correct key there are other ways to get around this. In future versions of Swype, we would like to be able to provide a return key, even in cases where it is not provided by the app. This is a high priority for us, and we plan on making this available in future versions of Swype.

Thank you

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

TuralM
04-30-2013, 9:24 PM
All,

Thank you very much!

ikelos
06-08-2013, 1:52 AM
When I saw the latest update to Swype this morning saying "Thank you for the feedback on Swype! Here are the updates: We fixed an issue with the Enter key that was affecting some users in certain apps." I was so hopeful that there was finally a fix for this 3 year old bug. Unfortunately it appears that was a different issue with the enter key.

Has there been any progress on this bug in the past month? Could you let us know which version of Swype this has been planned for (the 1.5 series, or 1.6) please?

amencarini
06-08-2013, 2:05 AM
Hi,
On my phone there is no return key while using Twitter.
Is it possible to add it at least to the "edit" layout, somehow?

WaterBreather
06-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Device Make/Model – Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX
Wireless Carrier - Verizon
Android Version - 4.2.2
ROM Version – LiquidSmooth 2.7
Are you a root user? - Yes
Swype Version - 1.5.6.16934

A detailed, step-by-step walkthrough on how to reproduce your problem –
Using the above version of Swype. While texting, the enter key is replaced with a smile, which is redundant to the shift mode of the “Z” key. The navigation keyboard (Swype-->123) doesn’t have an enter key either.

This renders the keyboard useless in my opinion. I’ve used Swype for years, and I’m a paid user. This is a show stopper for me. This used to work on my stock ROM, Android v4.1.2, rooted.

WaterBreather
06-25-2013, 2:54 PM
Device Make/Model Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX
Android Version - 4.2.2
ROM Version LiquidSmooth 2.7

A detailed, step-by-step walkthrough on how to reproduce your problem
Using the above version of Swype. While texting, the enter key is replaced with a smile, which is redundant to the shift mode of the Z key. The navigation keyboard (Swype-->123) doesnt have an enter key either.

This renders the keyboard useless in my opinion. Ive used Swype for years, and Im a paid user. This is a show stopper for me. This used to work on my stock ROM, Android v4.1.2, rooted.

Ooopssss! Fixed it myself. I found a setting which configures the messaging app to tell the keyboard how to behave: Messaging -> Settings -> Extra Settings -> Soft keyboard type. Selected, "Enter for a new line" and taa daa... There it is, my enter key!

I don't know if this is specific to LiquidSmooth or AOSP, but now anyone else reading this with the same issue will have an option to go check.

WaterBreather
06-25-2013, 9:30 PM
Device Make/Model Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX
Android Version - 4.2.2
ROM Version LiquidSmooth 2.7

A detailed, step-by-step walkthrough on how to reproduce your problem
Using the above version of Swype. While texting, the enter key is replaced with a smile, which is redundant to the shift mode of the Z key. The navigation keyboard (Swype-->123) doesnt have an enter key either.

This renders the keyboard useless in my opinion. Ive used Swype for years, and Im a paid user. This is a show stopper for me. This used to work on my stock ROM, Android v4.1.2, rooted.

Fixed it myself... I don't know if this particular setting is LiquidSmooth ROM specific or AOSP 4.2.2 specific, but here it is: Messaging \ Settings \ EXTRA SETTINGS \ Soft keyboard type, select, "Enter for new line" and taa daa the enter key is back!

Daniel_hoy
06-30-2013, 10:17 AM
All,

Where is the enter key?

just0dir
07-06-2013, 5:12 AM
i wan enter key so badly. :(

ikelos
07-29-2013, 12:31 PM
Hi there, it's been nearly 3 months since an adminstrator's last reply promising that this issue is a high priority, and that they plan on making it available in future versions, but a new version came out in that time and there's been no update on this issue, and no indication that it will actually get fixed. This issue has not been forgotten by the affected users. It has been around as a request for 3 years, it has been a bug report from the first day Swype was commercially available on the market place, and it's a very small fix (necessary, seemingly because of a poor design decision several years ago), but one that's extremely frustrating for multiple paying users. Please could you supply an update as to the current status of this issue, how long a fix is likely to take and whether that fix will appear in the next version?

ikelos
07-29-2013, 12:36 PM
I've also just noticed this has been filed under "Feature requests". For clarity, this is not a feature request, it was functioning perfectly under the pre-packaged version that came with the SGS2, which is why I did not expect to experience this problem when I purchased it for the Nexus 4. Please move this whole thread to "Bug reports", since the lack of an Enter key is a regression, and does not match the features from even the stock Android keyboard.

bberryhill0
07-29-2013, 2:41 PM
I've never, ever seen this problem. I guess hTC phones are immune to it.

Swyped from my Incredible 4G using Tapatalk 4 public Beta

ikelos
07-29-2013, 3:41 PM
It will only occur on phones where the messaging app's text field is set to be a shortTextField. If HTC have produced their own messaging app, this may not be the case, but it can always be seen on the Google Talk/Hangouts application using any version of Swype available from the marketplace.

bberryhill0
07-29-2013, 7:25 PM
Ha! Finally found it. Seems like Swype should process that call as something else because Swype has a dedicated smiley key.

Swyped from my Incredible 4G using Tapatalk 4 public Beta

ikelos
07-30-2013, 12:24 AM
Glad you managed to see the problem we've all been facing. In fact, they're doing the right thing, the textShortMessage flag (sorry, got the name wrong last time) does indicate that the message is short and should therefore display a smiley key primarily instead of an enter key (the stock keyboard does this as well).

The problem is that whilst that may be fine for the majority of people, there are some people who want to be able to enter multiple lines (for signatures on messages, for example). The stock keyboard allows for this by pressing shift (which then displays the new line key rather than the smiley key), most other keyboards either ignore the flag or allow you to add new lines some other way, but Swype decided a few years ago that other programs may not be able to handle a new line and so they shouldn't provide it.

I don't know if it was always capable, but at some point the stock Google keyboard allowed you to add new lines, and so Swype finally started saying they'd consider adding it as a feature, but that was after 3 years of people complaining, and there hasn't been any actual action on their part to provide a fix or comment on when it will likely be ready. Adding the ability to enter new lines somewhere on one of the five layers of keys should not be a difficult task (there's already code available on how to ensure it adds new lines in the stock google source code), which is why I'd like them to publicly commit to a time by which this bug will have been fixed.

RipRapRob
08-02-2013, 7:02 AM
LOL, a 3 year old thread with my exact problem and it's not fixed yet?

Way to listen to your customers Swype!

JesperWe
08-03-2013, 11:04 PM
I must say that in this day and age I find it astonishing that an app supplier ignores user input to this extent.

This is a simple fix that a lot of users want. We have been told that it is a high priority issue. And yet it remains unfixed, and questions about when it's scheduled go unanswered.

May I point out that the problem is significant enough that I took the time to register just to point this out :-)

Boba Phil
08-04-2013, 3:35 AM
I must say that in this day and age I find it astonishing that an app supplier ignores user input to this extent.

This is a simple fix that a lot of users want. We have been told that it is a high priority issue. And yet it remains unfixed, and questions about when it's scheduled go unanswered.

May I point out that the problem is significant enough that I took the time to register just to point this out :-)

Welcome to Swype! I to only registered to point out a very simple, but incredibly annoying bug... 6 months later, still waiting.

I've also noticed that they charge for the keyboard and then there's no new updates...coincidence?

TuralM
08-04-2013, 11:22 PM
All,

LOL, a 3 year old thread with my exact problem and it's not fixed yet?

Way to listen to your customers Swype!

It shows how they keep their promises... It shows how they solve tasks of high priority...

jasonsmith
08-11-2013, 8:49 PM
YES please, I used to use the enter button all the time on my older version of swype. Now with my swype 3.2, there is no longer an enter button! I am quite frustrated and would really like that button back on all swype keyboards and all input fields. Thanks.

Derczech
08-12-2013, 10:30 AM
Found your solution my friend. Open a sms conversation. Any one will do. Go to the settings menu in that conversation. Go to the soft keyboard settings at the bottom of the menu. There you will find an option to change that button. Took me some time and hair pulling to find it as well. Hope this helps.

Derczech
08-12-2013, 11:34 AM
I really like when the enter button changes to "Go" for search fields. I wouldn't want to lose that.

Since Swype has smilies on the Z key and smilies are so easy to Swype it would make sense for Swype to ignore the call to change the Enter key to Smilies.

Here's your solution. Open a sms contact. Any one will do. Go to the setting menu in the contact screen. Scroll down to soft keyboard and your button will be in there. Took me a minute and some help to find. Hope it works for you.

ikelos
08-12-2013, 2:23 PM
Version 1.5.12.19292 just came out, but there is still no way to insert a new line in SMS/Messaging or Hangout chats. The free stock android keyboard does this, but the paid-for Swype keyboard does not, but this is still classed as a feature request rather than a bug.

Derczech, the softkey keyboard settings do not exist in stock android, that is a feature that has been added to Cyanogenmod and copied by several other ROMs. Thank you for your proposed solution, but it will only help users with particular ROMs and specifically will not help with the stock Android ROM (such as Nexus users).

Administrators, given that this is now the second public update since the product became commercially available, and there is still no fix in sight, could you please provide some progress report as to how complete this feature is, how much effort has been applied to fixing it and how long it's expected to go unfixed? Your users have not forgotten about this issue, and we will keep requesting information about it as long as it remains unfixed. Please could an Administrator also move this bug report to the correct category rather than leaving it in the feature requests section?

ikelos
09-04-2013, 3:14 PM
So version 1.5.15.19977 is out, and this regression is still present. There still has not been any communication about the how long it will take before this three year old regression (not feature request) will be fixed. Can someone from Swype please provide an estimated timeframe within which this will be fixed?

Also, could you please transfer this message to the Bug Reports forum, given that my post from the 25th of April this year followed the bug posting guideline, and provided evidence that this is a bug and not a feature request (not only did the old version support this, but also the default keyboard for android supports it, meaning users lose functionality by swapping to Swype).

doddery
10-09-2013, 5:03 PM
It is beyond my comprehension how a keyboard can be offered for SMS (and notes on my Xperia SP) with no carriage return. I use these applications professionally and I refuse to present memos without carriage returns, when these are required. I have spent 65 years on this planet without ever needing a smiley. I have no option but to use the the stock keyboard

montywi
10-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Found your solution my friend. Open a sms conversation. Any one will do. Go to the settings menu in that conversation. Go to the soft keyboard settings at the bottom of the menu. There you will find an option to change that button. Took me some time and hair pulling to find it as well. Hope this helps.

Unfortunately on Sony Xperia in the message application there is no option for soft keyboard.
This bug still needs a proper fix from the Swype developers.

bberryhill0
10-23-2013, 12:16 PM
I don't think there are any Swype developers. They don't even have anyone on their team who can download the latest Tapatalk plug-in and unzip it in the proper directory for this forum....

Swyped from my Incredible 4G using Tapatalk test build 3

erudite
10-31-2013, 12:40 PM
Please please sort this out. All we want is an enter / return key whatever the application we are using Swype in. Even if it is an option in the menu. But having no way to do this is absurd...can't actually believe it!!

dyingjedi
10-31-2013, 5:27 PM
11457]So ie enter button

ALL THE TIME

i just re-updated my swype and now there's no setting to remove the smiley key for an enter key.[/QUOTE]

If there's not going to be a dedicated enter button how about making it a gesture that you do in the middle of the keyboard itself and starting from and then just just wherever you to do it a big spiral a circle or something or a gesture of grandeur like an L in the middle of the whole keyboard but it has to be initiated by space or something basically a gesture enter come on
now alternatively best way to make an enter is

Is enabled dictate and say new paragraph! lame right

an Enter gesture instead of a virtual hardware button that is'nt

bberryhill0
10-31-2013, 10:53 PM
You might have noticed that this is a really old thread. Nuance stopped development on Swype a year ago. There is a really simple solution to this problem but Nuance doesn't have any coders.

Swyped from my Incredible 4G using Tapatalk 4 10-31

sunimex2003
11-01-2013, 3:02 AM
i think "yes".good

nedmartin
11-03-2013, 4:49 AM
At the very least, make one of the smileys an enter key - so long press to enter smileys, then there is a new line/carriage return/enter key option in place of one of the smileys.

ikelos
11-07-2013, 7:31 PM
Ok, this is getting repetitive, but there was a new version of Swype published recently, 1.6.2.22328. There were several changes, including combining the second and tertiary menus, so modifications of the buttons and their locations.

However, there is still no capability to insert new line characters into short text fields. This is not improved by Android 4.4 (Kitkat), despite Hangouts being the new messaging application, since that also uses short text fields for text entry.

Administrators, it's been months since your last update, could you please provide your paying customers with a progress report on this bug (which is still misfiled as a feature request)? Thanks...

sooeec
11-08-2013, 2:23 PM
could you please provide your paying customers with a progress report on this bug (which is still misfiled as a feature request)? Thanks...

This. I have to switch to another keyboard just to enter a carriage return into an SMS, which is ridiculous. CR isn't even available on the special characters screen.

ikelos
11-10-2013, 1:17 PM
This looks like it should be merged in with http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?2160-quot-Enter-quot-button-instead-of-quot-Smile-quot/.

Elbart
11-11-2013, 10:14 AM
I have to switch to another keyboard just to enter a carriage return into an SMS, which is ridiculous.
No, you don't. http://i.imgur.com/oKHYOWP.png

ikelos
11-12-2013, 4:20 PM
Right, here we are, yet another update (this time 1.6.3.22544), but I've found there IS a way of adding new line characters using the Swype keyboard!

So to add in new line characters, you'll need the handwriting capability enabled (I got a new phone recently, and fortunately didn't turn it off before I went hunting for a workaround to this long-lived bug). Once that's enabled, just select the hand-writing pane, and you can draw a new line gesture (drag down, then left, then release), and this will add a new line character even in short message field boxes!

This is still a complete and utter inconvenience, however, it should at least highlight a future direction quite clearly. If this newly discovered capability is removed, we'll know for sure that Swype is not listening to their users, and actually removing requested features (or strengthening bugs, depending on your perspective). If they don't, then they're agreeing to allow new line characters in short message fields, and should allow them more easily (like the default Android keyboard), by changing the smiley key when shift is depressed...

In future versions of Swype, we would like to be able to provide a return key, even in cases where it is not provided by the app. This is a high priority for us, and we plan on making this available in future versions of Swype.

There have been several future versions of Swype since you wrote this in April. Please, Jacob W., could you provide a progress update on this issue? It's no less of a problem for your users now, than it was 6 months ago, or even 3 years ago when the issue was first brought to your attention...

robertmarkbram
11-13-2013, 1:06 AM
Please give us the option to have return instead of emoticons!

DazCroft
11-20-2013, 2:28 PM
The solution I came up with is to use Easy SMS by Pansi as opposed to the stock sms app - you will then get the enter key as opposed to the smiley.

DazCroft
11-20-2013, 2:36 PM
The solution I came up with is to use Swype with 'Easy SMS' by Pansi as opposed to the stock sms app - you will then get
the enter key as opposed to the smiley.
As an added bonus you also get 8 lines of text displayed which is the reason I use it.

TuralM
11-20-2013, 9:35 PM
The solution I came up with is to use Easy SMS by Pansi as opposed to the stock sms app - you will then get the enter key as opposed to the smiley.

The solution I came up with is to use TouchPal X Keyboard instead of Swype. Gesture typing works fine. There are also some other good features.

All,

I waited long as they fulfill their promise with a high priority, but they did not keep.

mountainbikermark
11-21-2013, 6:04 AM
Right, here we are, yet another update (this time 1.6.3.22544), but I've found there IS a way of adding new line characters using the Swype keyboard!

So to add in new line characters, you'll need the handwriting capability enabled (I got a new phone recently, and fortunately didn't turn it off before I went hunting for a workaround to this long-lived bug). Once that's enabled, just select the hand-writing pane, and you can draw a new line gesture (drag down, then left, then release), and this will add a new line character even in short message field boxes!

This is still a complete and utter inconvenience, however, it should at least highlight a future direction quite clearly. If this newly discovered capability is removed, we'll know for sure that Swype is not listening to their users, and actually removing requested features (or strengthening bugs, depending on your perspective). If they don't, then they're agreeing to allow new line characters in short message fields, and should allow them more easily (like the default Android keyboard), by changing the smiley key when shift is depressed...

There have been several future versions of Swype since you wrote this in April. Please, Jacob W., could you provide a progress update on this issue? It's no less of a problem for your users now, than it was 6 months ago, or even 3 years ago when the issue was first brought to your attention...

Well I'll be.
It works.
Thank You very much !

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

ikelos
12-19-2013, 1:06 PM
So here we are, it's that time again. Another new version came out: 1.6.5.23769. Performance improvements. Even an "issue with the enter button on certain Samsung devices", but still no carriage return. Not even on the edit tab, which has an entirely superfluous back button, but no carriage return.

I'm getting tired of asking, but I will not stop until Nuance listen to their paying customers, and fall in line with every other major keyboard available on the marketplace, and provide at least the possibility of entering a carriage return in short text fields. It's not a big ask, but it is an important one, and being placated with "it's a high priority to us" will not suffice. Please respond with the current status of this issue, or better yet actually fix this bug (that was not present in early versions of Swype)!

Elbart
12-23-2013, 12:34 AM
What do you mean with "short test fields"? There's an enterkey for stuff like the stock text-messaging-app.

Bitcain
12-27-2013, 8:58 AM
There isn't in mine. Nexus 5 default msg app/hangouts. There isn't even an enter option available. Just smileys, on the smiley key, the Z key, and the Swype =!+ key with a smiley option...

Edit:
Downloaded 8sms to try and fix it but no luck, still smiley button only without any options for "Enter/Return"

Seems to be a multi-year issue for a ton of people. Bummer.

2nd Edit: I finally found an app it works on- Textra.

alebum
01-11-2014, 12:23 PM
Come on swype-guys, it's been almost a year since you had told us of this "high priority" - don't you think it's the high time to release this feature that your users and customers demand?
I'm quite sure it is not that difficult...

bberryhill0
01-11-2014, 2:06 PM
They're desperately trying to track down the lag that makes Swype unusable on Samsung devices....

Swyped from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk 4.4.2

mountainbikermark
01-11-2014, 3:12 PM
Come on swype-guys, it's been almost a year since you had told us of this "high priority" - don't you think it's the high time to release this feature that your users and customers demand?
I'm quite sure it is not that difficult...

If it's not so difficult, write it and send it to them. ;)

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

alebum
01-18-2014, 6:31 AM
No need to. They already know how to duo this - the enter key is already there, but in apps like hangouts it's replaced by the smileys button...

bberryhill0
01-18-2014, 1:26 PM
Hangouts is requesting the smilie key and Swype is honoring that request per the Android Guidelines.

Swyped from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk 4.4.4

Obeliks
01-22-2014, 2:37 AM
Showing a smiley key when the app requests it is fine by me, but why not show the Return key when Shift is toggled? That's how the stock keyboard handles it, and that should be fair enough for everybody!

bberryhill0
01-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Actually since Swype has a dedicated smilie key it's ridiculous for Swype to stick so closely to the guidelines.

SwiftKeyed from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk 4.4.4

travertine
02-13-2014, 4:59 PM
Just wanted to chime in that you can do a carriage return using the voice-to-text feature: just tap the speech button, say "new line", and then tap to go back to the keyboard. It's cumbersome and far from a permanent solution, but if this is the only thing keeping you from using the app all the time, it's a fix for now :)

bberryhill0
02-13-2014, 7:04 PM
You can also use the down and left gesture in handwriting.

Swyped from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk 4.4.5

cabuzzi
03-23-2014, 7:53 AM
I understand that this forcing of the smiley key down out throats has to do with Google and Hangouts integration, but not every app is enforcing it. From what I understand, there are some alternative SMS apps (the last holdout of the ridiculous smiley button I never use) that enable you to get the enter key back as the default option.

I'm really hoping Google gives up on this particular bender of restriction of user choice they're currently on. It does not seem to be very popular, and I cannot see what is in it for them (unlike other forced Google actions in the recent past).

aliguu
04-15-2014, 6:00 PM
SWYPE why are you still not able to ENTER in hangout..?!

how about adding a gesture of swyping left from smily keys to register the ENTER command....! :)
easy peesy! lolol

comonnnnn lets make something like this happen after all these years!

TylonHH
04-17-2014, 12:07 AM
SWYPE why are you still not able to ENTER in hangout..?!

how about adding a gesture of swyping left from smily keys to register the ENTER command....! :)
easy peesy! lololBecause its not Swype fault. Go and ask Google. The App developer can choose what kind of keyboard should displayed. Until now I just saw that smily only in hangout.
But for an Workaround here are many suggestions (speech-to-text; handwriting) for enter a new line.

bberryhill0
04-17-2014, 9:42 AM
Technically true, but Nuance should fix this issue.

Swyped from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk 4.5.2

TylonHH
04-26-2014, 4:39 PM
It's not an issue and there is nothing to fix!
Did you ever tried Dragon speech input with your password?
You can't, if the developer of the app(!) designed the layout correct. Or do you also wanna fix that?

Some developer provide a numpad for input. So you need to ask the developer of the app, and not Nuance.

---------------
gesendet vom Barhocker

Why so hard
05-06-2014, 6:04 AM
So here I am back using Swype after a long period of time. I can't believe the carriage return (new line) issue still exists. If they have not fixed this by now I guess they will never do so. In this day and age of very ascetically laid out SMS user interfaces a big blob of text just looks awful and more importantly deceptively forces both related and unrelated sentences to sit in context together.

How hard would it be to give users a settings option determining if the carriage return button always shows.

I am aware of the Dragon 'new line' work around and have created text templates that have a dot then carriage return and a question mark and then a carriage return. Having to use either of these options is however cumbersome and ridiculous.

As far as I am concerned the sometimes there, sometimes not carriage key functionality in Swype is it's worst feature by far. It is bad enough to get me looking for an alternate keyboard. Swype would be brilliant otherwise. Emoji isn't even included in Swype (which is bad if you are running Android 4.4x) so what is the obsession with the smilies.

ikelos
05-14-2014, 4:08 PM
It's that time again, a new version was pushed out (1.6.16.27862), and an enter key issue with the Samsung messaging app was resolved, but still there is no convenient way to add a new line character in certain applications.

I'd also like to reply to all those people that keep saying it's not an issue, that it's Google's fault, and to the moderator who moved my bug report post to this feature request thread. This is a regression from the stock android keyboard, the Google android keyboard, and older versions of Swype! They all provide the ability to add new lines by pressing shift. It is true that the developer can mark text fields as "short messages", and that hangouts and the old stock messaging app have chosen to do this. The exact flag they set can be found in the android documentation at http://developer.android.com/reference/android/text/InputType.html#TYPE_TEXT_VARIATION_SHORT_MESSAGE. The description simply says "entering a short, possibly informal message such as an instant message or a text message", it does not say "must display a smiley button" and it does not say "cannot allow new line characters". That flag is irrelevant to this issue, so people saying that it's not a bug, or that it's Google's fault, should check their beliefs against the documentation.

The stock android keyboard allows a new line to be (relatively) easily inserted when in such a text field, by pressing shift and then enter (one additional click from normal). In Swype, the only method to insert a new line is either go into voice mode, speak "new line", then go out of voice mode (two additional clicks and speaking), or to go into handwriting mode and swipe the appropriate symbol, and the go out of handwriting mode (two additional clicks and swiping). Neither of these is convenient. Whether the developer marked the text box as a short message field or not, neither the app developers nor Google are banning these characters, as proven by the fact that Google's keyboard allows you to insert them with only a single extra click.

This issue has been open for four years, Swype has clearly tried to appease their paying customers by saying that it's a high priority and then doing precisely nothing about it. New versions come out, and at each one I'm disappointed not only to see that this simple regression has not been resolved, but also that Swype administrators are not providing updates other than to attempt to placate this now lengthy and long-lived thread. 22 pages of comments, 4 years and still no fix, or even decision not to fix, is ridiculous.

Swype Administrators, please could you provide an honest answer as to your intentions for fixing this issue?

halsey.james
05-19-2014, 11:31 AM
I came to the suggestions forums to post this very thing. I don't understand the reasoning behind not always letting us enter a new line and even less of the logic behind why instead it's a shortcut to a symbol that's easily accessible by long pressing the 'z' key. Actually I do understand from a developers perspective why it's this way though with how Android handles different text fields, and it's only an issue in a few apps. I'm guessing it's because these apps(such as Hangouts) don't specify their text areas as textMultiLine?

Either way by looking at the poll results it seems pretty obvious we need a fix for this, ASAP. I have the paid version of Swype and until it's fixed I guess I'll have to go back to using SwiftKey. That's not a huge issue as SwiftKey is nice as well...SwiftKey just offers a smoother experience. This should be a top priority and updated as soon as it can be changed in the code...above features such as adding emojis or and other cosmetic features. I'm glad I'm not in the minority here, as I REALLY prefer using SwiftKey lol.

I don't understand why anybody wouldn't vote yes for this. Not being able to write with paragraphs limits my texts to one paragraphs each, otherwise the recipients of said texts usually don't even bother to read them. I use texting as well for work all the time and it's highly unprofessional to not be able to use line breaks. I guess I could still use Swype while waiting for a fix though by just typing the text out first with 920 Text Editor and then copying and pasting into Hangouts.

To whoever created the poll, thanks a ton. Most new features should be in poll format anyways if there isn't already a system in place for voting on features like other development sites. Having a feature request where the devs can easily see the demand for it without having to read through potential pages and pages of replies on. :-P.

Edit: This has been addressed and nothing done for 4 years? If that's the case then I'm going through Google Play Store for a refund and not through Nuance. If this is indeed true, all pay customers with issues regarding this should file a complaint through Google Play and request a refund there and link to this thread if you want. I've done this a few times with other companies who haven't provided support and doing it this way puts them on the radar with Google. It's not like this is sometime that's too hard to implement. If they sent me the code I could probably fix it within a day, compile, sign and install. I don't understand what's so difficult here...

The post above me is dead on about this not being Google or Android's fault. The fix is an easy one and I don't understand why they seem so adamant against giving us a new line key over a smiley, and I second their plea...PLEASE give us a honest answer regarding this.

bberryhill0
05-19-2014, 6:19 PM
You have to understand that Nuance bought Swype to improve Dragon Dictate. They have absolutely no interest in keyboards.

Swyped from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk 4.5.2

Randolph
05-23-2014, 10:01 AM
"There is no need of the Enter button instead you use spacebar/full stop/comma etc. Swype works excellently." Well not for me! I want my return key back. and bring back the cursor arrows at the top of the keyboard wile you are at it!

LadyBriar
06-16-2014, 2:09 PM
This thread was started four years ago... Two questions, why hasn't this happened yet and why is it still around? Do the devs really care so little what the users think?

ashishsingh
06-21-2014, 9:38 PM
This thread was started four years ago... Two questions, why hasn't this happened yet and why is it still around? Do the devs really care so little what the users think?

I think all new version of android will support emoji, hence add emoji and we don't need smiley anymore. Standard smiley still can be created and should be displayed by sony as now.

bberryhill0
06-21-2014, 9:52 PM
Nuance is losing money and is for sale. We won't see any changes until the sale goes through.

Swyped from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk Pro 4.5.2

LadyBriar
06-23-2014, 9:44 PM
I think all new version of android will support emoji, hence add emoji and we don't need smiley anymore. Standard smiley still can be created and should be displayed by sony as now.

I have no idea what emoji is... all I know is I hit the stupid smiley key instead of "." ALL the time and its beyond irritating that you can't disable this feature.

George Mackintash
07-11-2014, 9:39 PM
I like the smiley key but want a way to do the enter key because I used enter all the time like for making faces like this
0 0
U
_____
But I like the smile key I thimk the shift button should change the smile or spacebar to shift instead of space becoming tab because tab is just a few spaces and its not normally used on a phone for instance I didnt indent for this comment
Keep both keys just have shift swap them from one to another

George Mackintash
07-11-2014, 10:14 PM
I think both keys should be able to coexist on the same keyboard make shift be able to turn enter tosmile and viceversa I appreciate how they thought about how people use alot of smiley faces but I also use the enter/return key in mesages and emails well used to but now my phone doesnt have enter with the swype keyboard but im not givin up swipe keyboard and otherwise I like my phone like the talk to text function i use enter for lists, faces, and separating two texts especally since the people I txt have different types of phones I use enter like this
0 0
---- and
0 0
U instead of :-) because I like makin faces of my own and straight up and down I also do this...

Leave,alot of space between txts with the enter/return key but I also like to make lots of smiles quick and easy

George Mackintash
07-11-2014, 10:36 PM
Whats wrong with these people this problem has been around for 4 years and nothing was done about it if they even give a s**t than they would do something about it by updating swipe keyboard or better yet the whole phone its frustrating to not have any enter key >:(
WHY DONT YOU GO BY MR KRABBS ADVICE:
ITS ALL ABOUT THE CUSTOMER(S)
This problem is goin on too kong if they dont fix it im switching to an iphone or something so I dont have that problem or alot of problems and I will convince most android usera that apple's better than android

George Mackintash
07-12-2014, 9:30 AM
The enter key is useful and should be on the keyboard always and so should smile key

George Mackintash
07-12-2014, 9:34 AM
Its anoying not having enter all the time because I use it ALOT well used it its frustrating not having it >: (

bberryhill0
07-12-2014, 9:46 AM
Nuance can't even keep their servers up. Don't expect any changes until after the company is sold.

Swyped from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk Pro 4.5.2

ikelos
08-21-2014, 4:14 PM
Another new release (1.6.19.1061950.30546). The owners are therefore clearly able to push out new releases, but they still won't make the shift key allow new lines to be entered.

It's quite clear they're not paying attention this forum, or to valid bug reports which they find more convenient to merge into feature requests despite fulfilling all the criteria of bug reports, and the only reason I'm continuing to post on every, single, new version they release that doesn't have this feature, is as a warning to others that your voice will get lost amongst the myriad of other people trying desperately for many years for one small update, and instead the company is adding football themes and in-app billing. Even if they do add this feature, it's a little bit late for any gratitude. The app's ok, but Swiftkey is free, Android Keyboard is free, and frankly this app isn't worth the heartache of trying to help them to improve, since the owners won't listen, and won't respond to repeated polite requests for further information. See you next release for your reminder that the owners have not listened to us, yet again...

jebdra
09-11-2014, 3:12 PM
I just can't believe this is still a problem.

I bought swype and love it as a keyboard, but I thought the lack of a return in SMS was MY fault - that I wasn't using the keyboard right or looking hard enough or in the right place. I looked for a manual, read all the tips, looked on the internet (and found lots of contradictory info) and finally ended up here, only to discover this thread.

What a miserable discovery.

I like my communications to look professional and that needs a return or enter function.

I'm going back to swiftkey, although I do find swype easier and the predictive text seems to work better. The lack of the return key is too much of a disadvantage.

Highland_John
10-08-2014, 2:42 PM
Yes, holy Jesus, put back the "Enter/Return" key. Given that I paid for swype on my phone, I think that I should be the who decides when it's "necessary" for the keyboard to have the "Enter/Return" key.

ikelos
11-20-2014, 6:22 AM
I'm getting bored posting these every single time they release a new version without this regression fixed (feels like we're getting on for five years now!). 1.6.20.1062010.32311 is out now, there's still no enter key. As you can see from the thread, there's still no feedback from the admins either (although they dutifully still assign duplicates to this thread all the time).

Google keyboard's swiping prediction now seems better than Swype's to me (and smoother on large messages), so all they need to do now is improve punctuation to get feature equivalence with Swype. I'd recommend people try Google's built in keyboard, particularly if they don't use special symbols very often...

Dan0ss
11-24-2014, 3:14 PM
I've stopped using swype altogether now.

The only thing i really miss is their gestures for copy, paste and select all.

Its a shame, they stopped listening to their users and didnt fix issues people were finding.

smd999
12-15-2014, 1:28 AM
It's a shame there isn't some kind of hack that we can do to fix this, like how Cyanogenmod can "fix" this issue through a setting and get rid of the smiley key. I had CM on my old phone and that fix worked great, but now that my new phone is running stock Lollipop, I'm back to being stuck with this problem like everyone else :-/.

smd999
12-17-2014, 4:27 PM
OK, I got the 8SMS texting app to replace my default one, and it has the setting to have the enter button instead of the smiley key since it's based off the CyanogenMod texting app. Problem solved :-)

mattspew
02-02-2015, 6:01 PM
I'm guess after 4yrs this feature isn't coming....

Jacob.W
02-05-2015, 3:29 PM
This problem may not be totally solved yet, but we have added a return key as an option on long press of the Smiley.

We know it may still be a little inconvenient, but this should help for the time being.

Thanks

ikelos
02-05-2015, 4:08 PM
Wow!!! It's incredible! I saw the new version and thought I'd have to be writing another "still not implemented" post, but it's here! It's finally here! The Smiley button gives you the option of adding a new line character! I don't know what to say. Thank you, for finally implementing this feature. I'll return to Swype from the Android keyboard, just to try it out! 5:)

d4chong
02-06-2015, 1:02 PM
This is definitely an improvement. Thank you.
I guess the next step is to allow for users to select an option to default to the return key and allow for emoji selection as an option on long press.

mattspew
02-08-2015, 2:36 AM
This problem may not be totally solved yet, but we have added a return key as an option on long press of the Smiley.

We know it may still be a little inconvenient, but this should help for the time being.

Thanks

Better, but not great. Just give an option the invert that action. Tap for return, long press for smiley.

tredddd
05-27-2015, 10:46 AM
Would really love the option of removing the smile button (and not having it replaced by the enter key). I really want a longer space bar. I don't alwayswype type. When I press keys, I notice I very often hit the period key rather than the space bar....due to it being so small. In addition I have absolutely zero use for the smile key. It just takes up real estate as I never add emojis.

xnamkcor
07-12-2015, 2:55 PM
None of your suggestions are even the proper replacement for a line break. Semi-colon.
And you need return for many things. Typing a wall of text isn't acceptable after the 4th grade.

k2c2keith
07-12-2015, 7:16 PM
It seems that this option has changed again in v1.9. The lower-right key is context sensitive now. If the cursor is in a search widget, the key becomes a magnifying glass and performs a search. However, if it's in the Google Now search widget, the microphone disappears, too. (This is probably because the microphone is provided by Google Now and is adjacent to the search widget.) If the cursor is in the address/top line of Chrome browser, lower-right key becomes a "Go" key. If it's in a regular text field, it becomes a smiley, which can be long-pressed to access a line break, too. If it's in a calendar entry, it only provides a line-break (no smiley on long press). You can get to the emoticons key by pressing the ?123 key or by long-pressing the z-key and selecting the smiley. (That's intuitive, right?) It probably changes to other functionality under other contexts, but I haven't encountered them yet. I'm pleased :D, because the Swype developers are at least trying to make everybody happy, and this is an impossible task. Thank you for your significant efforts, Devs.

turnstile
10-08-2015, 2:52 AM
Excuse me for being blunt, but you guys are flaming idiots for replacing the Enter key!

mattspew
12-02-2015, 6:25 PM
I'm pretty sick of waiting for this to be fixed, might be time to find a better keyboard. One without the bloated Dragon crap.

mattspew
12-02-2015, 6:39 PM
Just installed SwiftKey. What do you know, there is a return key. So long swype!