PDA

View Full Version : Speech-to-text feature suggestion

aphelion
12-27-2010, 7:15 PM
Having tried every keyboard app in the Market, Swype is my preferred method for tracing. However, it comes up short in one major area: speech-to-text functionality.

After using the microphone button, Ultra Keyboard pops up a (configurable) number of options guessing what I said. Inevitably, at least 1 of the 10 is correct and I select that one and I'm on my way.

Swype does not present selections and makes speech-to-text more burdensome by having to go back and manually correct errors (which are checked for tracing, not vocal, similarity).

It would be a huge improvement to the program if the speech-to-text feature could be improved to match or surpass Ultra Keyboard's.

Joeviocoe
03-18-2011, 10:16 PM
YES!!!!

I completely agree. This is a deal breaker for MANY users. Pretty much anybody who has used Ultra Keyboard for more than a week. This function makes speech to text SO much more usable. Otherwise, any time you may have saved talking instead of typing.. is wasted checking and correcting errors. Without this feature, many do not use speech to text as a daily feature. I use it for 80% of my texting... Just because Ultra Keyboard makes correction smooth and quick.

In any given complete sentence, there is bound to be one word out of place. And it is very frustrating and time consuming to move the cursor to that word... and then replace it by typing or again, by voice.

Ultra Keyboard has you beat. Until you add this feature, I (and many others) will not switch to Skype.

Mr. Resnik... if you are reading. Please make this a priority. Thank you.:D

brian.resnik
03-19-2011, 9:44 AM
Thank you for the recommendation! I'll show this feature from Ultra Keyboard to one of our devs and see if the functionality can be replicated without violating any copyrights :)

Joeviocoe
03-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Thank you for the recommendation! I'll show this feature from Ultra Keyboard to one of our devs and see if the functionality can be replicated without violating any copyrights :)

How will we be notified if Swype devs decide to go ahead with this? It should not be an issue about tipping your hand to the competition... they already have it. Several other keyboards do already have speech to text suggestion lists. But most of those apps are lacking other refinements.... so Ultra Keyboard is the only keyboard with good tracing, good prediction, customization, themes, and the speech to text suggestion lists.

Swype is better than the rest in all major categories.... just missing this one feature to put it over the top.

Thanks for your consideration. :)