PDA

View Full Version : Can I add new languages to Swype preload on the EVO 4G?

dcatiller
12-22-2010, 12:48 AM
I just got EVO OTA update with Swype, and love the keyboard. The only issue I have is that I can't add a Russian keyboard. Is it possible to add languages to a preload install?

Thanks,
Doug

Kenneth
12-22-2010, 1:19 AM
HI, Not sure if you can add, but checking my Samsung Galaxy S with pre-install ver 1.60.36.8940, indicates preinstalled keyboard for "русский".
Not sure if this is the correct imput that you are looking for, but it would seem strange that its not included in yours (if it isn't, that is).

Kenneth
12-22-2010, 1:27 AM
Also check this fo supported languages.

http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?1493-DO-NOT-POST-requests-for-your-device-to-include-other-languages!!!&highlight=swype+market

dcatiller
12-22-2010, 6:51 AM
The version I have is 2.7.49.12469. It is a part of a general OTA update that Sprint put out over the last week. It only has English and Spanish included, and I hadn't been able to find any way to add the language. I assume there is a language pack with a separate install, but not sure if I can add to a built-in install.

Doug

dcatiller
12-22-2010, 6:59 AM
Thanks, Kenneth. That's the hard part for me right now. I can find the support for what I need, but not for the version I have. I can download a much older version with a ton of languages, but wouldn't dare try to install that over a preloaded install. I'm hoping for something that I can add to what I have already.

Doug

dcatiller
01-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Forgive me if I am asking the wrong people, but can someone from Swype answer my original question? Or is there another place to go for this? I have a Swype preload, so I don't know if added languages would come from Swype, HTC or Sprint. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

dcatiller
02-23-2011, 2:04 PM
Ok, so I'd say it's been a long enough time that I can reasonably bump this now. Can someone from Swype answer my question? Is this not the place to ask this?

Doug

brian.resnik
02-24-2011, 2:21 PM
Hi dcatiller, sorry for the delayed response.

Swype doesn't currently support add-on language packs, so in order to get additional language support your device manufacturer/carrier would have to decide to purchase additional language support and send it out via an OTA update. We're investigating the possibility of add-on language packs for future versions of Swype, so keep your eyes peeled!

jzaruba
08-10-2011, 3:10 PM
...6 months later...

Gregory Suvalian
08-23-2011, 9:41 AM
This is easy to fix yourself. Just uninstall preloaded Swype using Titanium Backup (Free from Market) and then install Full version of Swype through installer, you'll get all the languages.

Petr Václavà k
08-26-2011, 1:10 AM
This is easy to fix yourself. Just uninstall preloaded Swype using Titanium Backup (Free from Market) and then install Full version of Swype through installer, you'll get all the languages.
I do not understand why developers are pushing users to rooting. I would like to add a Czech dictionary to Motorola Defy and paid for it, but nobody wants my money ... You have to be rich, guys!

rob.boehm
08-29-2011, 3:23 PM
This is easy to fix yourself. Just uninstall preloaded Swype using Titanium Backup (Free from Market) and then install Full version of Swype through installer, you'll get all the languages.This isn't entirely true. The Beta doesn't have the full library of options we are capable of offering to our OEM partners, or even a full library of languages we have offered to OEMs in the past. Doing so would balloon the install size out of control. We've actually in the process of implementing some changes into Swype with the latest beta which resolve these problems, but I bring this up because currently if you uninstall the production version of Swype you run a risk of loosing some language options not available in the beta. This is especially the case with various versions of Swype offered by our overseas partners.