PDA

View Full Version : My 3 Swype suggestions

PraetorianGuard
12-21-2010, 3:55 PM
Hello there.

1: Having a HTC Desire and already running on low memory I wanted to have a feel of how swyping one compared to typing everything by hand. Not feeling much for downloading the 10 MB edition I realised to my horror that the only thing offered other then the full install was English and Spanish.

English is fine with me since it is the language I use the most apart from my national language (Danish). But I would suggest that you made it possible to download a "lite" version of Swype and then once downloaded people could choose which languages they wanted to download and support instead of either being forced to either download ALL languages or being stuck with Spanish and English...

2:
Instead of having us longpress a button to change language, how about simply make it a single touch toggle?. Ie I have English and Danish and I want to use those, so instead of forcing me to select those from a long list allow me to select those 2 languages as the "primary" ones and let me switch by simply tabbing the button, much akin to how it works on the Desire already.

3:
What about support for "subs" to languages. Ie US English, British English, Canadian English etc?. Living in Europe I personally perfer the British English way of writing of the US English one :)

Thanks in advance for your time in answering my questions

Kind Regards

mightymax
12-21-2010, 5:19 PM
Actually regarding point 2, if you swype from the Swype Key to Q (the language key), the first time it will ask you which language you want to change to, then every subsequent time it will just automatically toggle between those two. Long-press Q to change either of those two languages in the future.

Completely agree on the other two points though (I speak British English and German and want only those two languages).

KBanause
12-25-2010, 2:21 AM
Hello there.

1: Having a HTC Desire and already running on low memory I wanted to have a feel of how swyping one compared to typing everything by hand. Not feeling much for downloading the 10 MB edition I realised to my horror that the only thing offered other then the full install was English and Spanish.

English is fine with me since it is the language I use the most apart from my national language (Danish). But I would suggest that you made it possible to download a "lite" version of Swype and then once downloaded people could choose which languages they wanted to download and support instead of either being forced to either download ALL languages or being stuck with Spanish and English...
I have a Desire too but since I have a ROM that uses App2SD on a ext3 partition of the sdcard I don't have any problems with filled up space.

2:
Instead of having us longpress a button to change language, how about simply make it a single touch toggle?. Ie I have English and Danish and I want to use those, so instead of forcing me to select those from a long list allow me to select those 2 languages as the "primary" ones and let me switch by simply tabbing the button, much akin to how it works on the Desire already.

Now that I know how to quickly switch between the same to languages (thanks to mightymax), it's getting better. But since I'm a native German speaker I have problems when the keyboard layout switches from QWERTZ to QWERTY when I choose English as input language. It should be possible to set up a keyboard layout in the settings which stays the same for all chosen languages (SwiftKey can do that too, it even combines dictionaries of two languages so you don't have to switch between those two languages anymore).

ghale76
12-27-2010, 6:54 AM
I have a Desire too but since I have a ROM that uses App2SD on a ext3 partition of the sdcard I don't have any problems with filled up space.
Yes, this can be a solution... but please consider that not all users want / like / understand App2SD.
A lite version for other languages or an option to stripdown unused languages can be a very interesting think.

brian.resnik
12-27-2010, 1:38 PM
We currently have a LITE version for English/Spanish. Additional lite versions may appear in the near future :)