View Full Version : More Flexible Dictionaries

TulpiX
12-21-2010, 1:53 AM
i have in fact 3 suggestions all regarding dictionaries

1) enabling multiple dictionaries at a time

2) fast switch button for dictionaries

3) full dictionaries which are user providable / downloadable

explanations:
the first two adress a problem people should have that use more languages than one , i find myself frequently in the position of typing english in the browser because i am searching for stuff on the internet but chatting in another language, so having two dicitonaries , one english and one other would help there, if not a button with a , preferably customizable, list of languages to fast switch would be a big help

for number 3, i know there is the user dictionary but would it be possible to create own dictionaries an jsut load them in swype, because i dont think you will implement all languages of this world and this would help languages not spoken by many people. So users could simply maintain such a dictionary and thy could offer it for download / or the android market

Biophil
12-21-2010, 12:47 PM
i have in fact 3 suggestions all regarding dictionaries

1) enabling multiple dictionaries at a time

Yes, what would be nice is to have a unified dictionary but with the enabled language deciding on priority!

2) fast switch button for dictionaries

This already exists: swype from option to language key

3) full dictionaries which are user providable / downloadable

Not a bad idea, (and if I'll get a phone one day with enough internal memory I could then implement 1) by doubling the size of the dictionaries ;) )

TulpiX
12-21-2010, 12:57 PM
after thinking about it the best feature would be the two first combined in such a way so you could have 2 or more dicitionaries enabled at the same time and a fast switch button to switch one of those languages to another if needed.

or

being able to make multiple lists, each containing some languages to enable at the same time and then an button to switch between those lists.

TulpiX
12-21-2010, 1:05 PM
wow thanks, never notices that key. now my life is already easier :)

so now jsut multiple languages at the same time is needed :)

but user provided dictionaries would solve problems for people where there is no language available and maybe never ever will be available so i am all for that

Biophil
12-21-2010, 1:30 PM
oh, and 1) seems to be already in the works http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?15-Method-of-switching-languages&p=1557#post1557
or might be even partially implemented! http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?1962-Dictionary&p=10717#post10717

TulpiX
12-21-2010, 1:41 PM
uhh great i'm looking forward to this, thanks for the links

so now only one point left on the list :)