PDA

View Full Version : Swype should have directional keys on the main keyboard

migr2244123
12-29-2009, 2:50 PM
Swype should have four directional keys on the main keyboard. Or at least it should provide a way to access the directional keys easily.

Currently it's tedious. From the main keyboard we have to touch the Symbol button THREE times in order to have access to the directional keys.

migr1586866
12-29-2009, 6:13 PM
Thanks so much for your idea! It can be redundant tapping the Symbol button three times. Just to let you know there is a faster way to access the directional keys. You can press hold the SYM key and then tap it once. We do not have the keys on our main keyboard because it really depends on the layout of the phone. You will be glad to hear that one of our future device releases is developing something similar to your idea of directional arrows on the main keyboard. Hopefully you are enjoying Swype otherwise!

migr2352291
12-31-2009, 5:35 AM
I'm absolutely loving Swype & since I started using it last night, this is the only complaint I've had - not having the directional keys makes it harder to edit words (especially when the word you're looking for is not among the options listed, or when you're typing in another language). Sometimes you just have to add or delete a letter off the word and navigational buttons make that so much easier to accomplish. (My phone doesn't have directional keys as hardware buttons) I'm excited to see how the release Trey mentioned is going to turn out. Cheers!

migr2244123
01-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks. Looking forward to releasing of the Swype with arrow keys.

migr2391837
01-04-2010, 8:43 PM
+1. Directional keys on the main keyboard are absolutely necessary. Especially on this kind of slide keyboard.

migr1586866
01-04-2010, 9:12 PM
I'm glad you are all looking forward to it! We'll try to do that ASAP!

Franklin
01-20-2010, 8:10 PM
Kengkaj,

I just talked to one of our developers, and he gave me this update: built into the newest versions of the keyboard, there will be a shortcut that allows the user to directly access the editing screen, by quickly "swyping" from the Swype key to the SYM key. This one-touch access should ease things considerably.

Look for this on a future release!

migr8625341
03-06-2010, 1:29 PM
I see the directional "swype" has been implemented in the beta android release. GREAT!

migr1559303
04-27-2010, 3:25 PM
It was this feature that really sold me on using a touch-screen keyboard. I bought my Moto Droid for the reason that it has a physical keyboard with a D-Pad. Having this Editing Keyboard so easily accessible has converted me over to using almost exclusively a touch-screen keyboard as my input. I can now live with a phone that does not have a hardware keyboard! Thanks Swype!

migr2244123
05-10-2010, 3:30 AM
Many thanks for the update Franklin. Any plan to release this wonderful software for the HTC HD2?

brian.resnik
05-10-2010, 7:16 PM
Kengkaj: If you're in the US on T-Mobile, Swype should come pre-installed on your HTC HD2! Contact your local T-Mobile store if you don't have Swype for some reason.

Mike
08-09-2010, 12:41 AM
I should say first of all, that I have only begun to try Swype, as it came on my HD2. I'm not very familiar with it yet at all.

That said, I agree about directional keysl. They should be on the main keyboard, not on a different screen, even if one gesture gets you to that other screen.

One might need to use directional keys frequently. For instance, one types "peoplle" instead of "people". One needs to go back one space with the back key, before using the backspace key to delete the extra L.. One shouldn't have to go to a different screen, just for that one back stroke. Directional keys should be there on the main layout.

yeswap
09-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Seeing as it looks like the Swype installer customizes the app for each model of device (Otherwise we wouldn't get that annoying "Sype is configured for a different device..." error when the installer runs out of memory) why not have the installer add the arrow keys to the main keyboard only for models that don't have built in directional keys or a trackball such as the HTC Evo?