PDA

View Full Version : Announcement RE: HTC EVO beta users + OTA update 3.70.651.1

brian.resnik
12-17-2010, 5:27 PM
HTC EVO + SWYPE BETA
+ OTA FIRMWARE 3.70.651.1

All HTC EVO users should be aware that the latest Over-the-Air update from Sprint includes Swype PreLoaded. If you currently have the BETA version of Swype installed on your device and try to install this update, you will experience constant crashing of Swype with the message “The application Swype (process com.swype.android.inputmethod) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again”

To resolve this issue, you must uninstall Swype BETA and reboot your device by following these steps:
Whenever you see a window telling you that com.swype.android.inputmethod has crashed, press the Force Close button
http://forum.swype.com/images/evo/force_close.png
From your home screen, press the Menu button and choose Settings
http://forum.swype.com/images/evo/settings.png
Go to Applications -> Manage Applications
http://forum.swype.com/images/evo/applications.pnghttp://forum.swype.com/images/evo/manage.png
In the downloaded applications list, select Swype
http://forum.swype.com/images/evo/swype.png
Press the Uninstall button, then press OK to uninstall Swype beta.
http://forum.swype.com/images/evo/uninstall.pnghttp://forum.swype.com/images/evo/ok.png
Reboot your device by holding down the power button and choosing Power Off
http://forum.swype.com/images/evo/poweroff.png

Once your device has rebooted, you will be able to use the preloaded version of Swype by long-pressing on any text field, choosing Input Method, and selecting Swype. Note - Swype will not be available until AFTER you have rebooted!

dzuchowski
12-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Well I dont want the old outdated version of swype that you cant swype with and dont have the blue backlit keys. I want to use the swype beta that i was using. So how do I use the swype beta that I had installed earlier? I reset my storage before I installed the update and then ran the update to the new rom. Now I cant install the beta. Perhaps their should be a class action lawsuit over this.

myronholm
12-20-2010, 9:17 AM
When the update was installed the sywpe istallation could not complete. I uninstalled the swype beta and tried to reinstall with the swype loader which directed me to disable swype in the text settings by unchecking the box, pressing the back button which would allow me to relicense the loader, I assume. There was no check box next to swype in the text settings menu. Returning to the previous screen just wanted me to repeat the previous proceedure. I have gone through and deleted most of the swype files except for /system/app/Swype.apk and /system/lib/libSwypreCore. When I attempt to delete these two files I get and error message"Error in deleting file". I need help, thanks

brian.resnik
12-20-2010, 12:34 PM
myronholm: Swype is now PreLoaded on the EVO with the latest update. Completely remove everything relating to the beta, and reboot your device. Then go to any text-box, long-press the input field, select Input Method, and choose Swype. You'll be all set.

finberg
12-20-2010, 7:47 PM
myronholm: Swype is now PreLoaded on the EVO with the latest update. Completely remove everything relating to the beta, and reboot your device. Then go to any text-box, long-press the input field, select Input Method, and choose Swype. You'll be all set.

Brian, is there a workaround to installing the latest beta instead of the OTA update? I fixed my force-close issue and am working fine on my EVO, except that the version included with the OTA update has the pop-up tips problem for "hidden" words that was fixed in the last beta update. I cannot uncheck the swype box to generate a license via the swype installer.

jeffpence
12-21-2010, 5:42 AM
The following is stated publically and with no obvious or known avenues of recourse:
First, that I understand that stability and full functionality is the goal of all beta testing,
AND that once a stable version is developed it is released en mass through established channels of automatic and mystic Over the Air updating on selected devices,
AND since I have an “HTC EVO 4G on the Sprint Now Network” with an expected update numbered by the Droid gods as 3.70.651.1,
THAT I am THEREFORE bound by fate to be forever isolated and separated from Swype Beta testing,
AND, further, I shall be stricken from the rolls and banned from the chosen realm of the "Swype Beta-Droid Minions,"
I THEREFORE, state publically and with no malice or ill intent that I sure am glad I still have my little microphone button!

Keep up the good work, and please do not forget to periodically update the version to which those of us who have been exiled to the far reaches of "Pre-Installed" and provider-based OTA updates are bound in perpetuity and permanency forevermore, amen.

crazylegs
12-21-2010, 8:14 AM
I have a custom rom on my evo and my swype beta expired. I wont use sprint ota updates, so does this mean I can no longerget swype? I'll gladly pay for it people!

crakdmirror
12-21-2010, 8:18 AM
I have a custom rom on my evo and my swype beta expired. I wont use sprint ota updates, so does this mean I can no longerget swype? I'll gladly pay for it people!

I'm in the same boat. This is the most important app on my phone, and I would pay a good chunk of money for it, but I won't use Sprint updates, as I love my root. Please allow us to install via the installer in addition to the OTA update! =D

4932300@gmail.com
12-21-2010, 9:02 AM
Hi;

First, thanks for the screen-shot tutorial. Not sure I needed it, but nice to see (very clearly) what to do.

Second, I went to update and again had problems. (Seems every install and update is full of problems)

I have a Sprint Evo, been running Swype since the summer. Love it.

I followed the directions. Uninstall, power off, resend email for access, download.

Oddly enough, I got two different installers 32.apk and 42.apk. Neither worked for me.

After downloading installer and logging in to get the app I get a message that ..."not available for this device... Swype for Evo is available in latest OTA update"

OTA? Over the air? Fine, but that does not tell me what to do next. Is there another post on the forum here to clear all this up?

I thank you for your help, but I have to tell the greater Swype community to get this stuff nailed down. I'm about to dump this one and go with another of the input apps. I have 50 apps, nothing is as consistently hard to keep running as Swype.

Thanks again,

MD

tidesong
12-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Hi,

I followed the instructions on uninstalling Swype. I also uninstalled the Swype Installer that I used to get the Beta. I rebooted my phone, twice. Long-pressing in a text field and selecting "Input Method" does not give me any option for Swype.

What else needs to be done? I can't live without Swype! :P

EvoUser
12-21-2010, 11:03 AM
This won't work for my case either. I must have been running an older version of the sprint software, because I never had swype as an option...that I was aware of. When I go to uninstall, the only option to uninstall is the "swype installer" not "swype"

The swype error message reads: Swype for EVO is available in the latest OTA update!

p8ball4life
12-21-2010, 1:55 PM
After inquiring to Sprint about why my phone had no updates and I couldn't get Swype, I receive this canned response:

Dear Tyler,

Thank you for contacting Sprint regarding the Swype.

As of now we do not have any updates regarding the Swype, I am unable
provide the details you requested. If Sprint offers it in the future,
you will find product and pricing details on Sprint.com and in
promotional information at our retail stores. We encourage you to watch
news reports or monitor our web site to see if a change in availability
occurs

We value your business and appreciate the opportunity to answer your
questions. Please reply to this email or visit sprint.com if we can be
of assistance.

Sincerely,
Jenifer J.
Sprint

shirl51
12-21-2010, 3:35 PM
HI
I did follow your instructions and uninstalled the swype (not the installer) I rebooted the EVO and went to the text mode and did a long press of the "
Input Method" It did give me the option of Swype and I thought all is well. However I am pretty sure I have the old version on the installer I have Version 1.0. On Swype I have version 2.7.49.12469. I looked at your versions and none of mine match. Should I uninstall everything and start over again??
Thank you
Shirley

termin8rsoccer11
12-21-2010, 8:59 PM
well i'm not sure why this seems so hard for everyone else. there was some confusion on here at first until i realized i no longer needed to be in the beta. uninstalled the beta, rebooted, selected Swype and have had no problem what so ever. I have the newest version, 2.7.49.12469. thank you Swype for making this possible.

jrm8013
12-22-2010, 12:23 AM
Im having a problem... I have used swype for a long time and love it, but today it stopped working. There was a blue background that would light up when I pressed anykeys... In the past I would just hold the center of the typing screen, choose "touch" then choose "swype" kind of like reboot.

Anyway, today it came up with a box saying the version trial had ended (i had it for like 7 months) and that I need to reinstall/update. So I uninstalled the program, and installed a new one from the email invite.

I keep getting the message after I log in, that its "fetching newest version" then an error message comes up and says "Error: Swype in not available for this device for the following reason: Swype for EVO is Available in the latest OTA update!

What does this mean??? I miss swype :(

raider3bravo
12-22-2010, 1:57 AM
I uninstalled the ota swype thinking I wouldn't need it because I've been using beta and it works just fine. That was a huge mistake. Forceclose over and over. So I decided to remove swype entirely thinking I could download the beta again with no problem. It said something about your device includes it with the ota update. Been there, done that and That's why I am here. How can I download again. I can't install the HTCupdate again.

thurule
12-22-2010, 6:04 AM
Yeah, this is pretty terrible for us Beta users. I mean, it's great that Swype is getting put on more phones and I love that, but depending on the provider to provide updates sucks very very bad. As in, they don't. But hey, don't worry guys, you have a new Demo version of some game you've never heard of and can't uninstall!

cmruff
12-22-2010, 6:53 AM
Thank you thank you thank you!!!! I was up too late last night trying to get the installer to reinstall Swype and was running into the problem of press "disable", but the next screen showed NO box to unclick. My fabulous EVO just wasn't the same fabulous without Swype. Swype is back and fully functional and there is a god, or at least there's Brian Resnik- thanks!!!!

drfosters
12-22-2010, 1:01 PM
Since they want us to be intimately familiar with our devices, for those of you who installed the OTA update and wish to go back to the beta, here are the directions:
First pull a copy of your swype "beta" .apk from your old (or not so old) nandroid / titanium backup (if you don't have one than I guess you are just not intimately familiar :-)).
Go into "root explorer", mount as r/w & delete your current swype.apk (backup first). Next, navigate to system/lib/libSwypeCore.so and delete / rename, repeat for /data/dalvik-cache/system@app@Swype.apk@classes.dex. Restart the device before trying to install the beta!

Admin feel free to delete my post if you don't like it, but it don't think it violates your rules, according to your "Terms and Conditions" you are only ineligible for Swype Beta if your device ships with it preloaded, being that the Evo didn't...... Anyways I'm just doing my part to help the community to that stage of intimacy....

Cheers.

finberg
12-22-2010, 1:31 PM
Since they want us to be intimately familiar with our devices, for those of you who installed the OTA update and wish to go back to the beta, here are the directions:
First pull a copy of your swype "beta" .apk from your old (or not so old) nandroid / titanium backup (if you don't have one than I guess you are just not intimately familiar :-)).
Go into "root explorer", mount as r/w & delete your current swype.apk (backup first). Next, navigate to system/lib/libSwypeCore.so and delete / rename, repeat for /data/dalvik-cache/system@app@Swype.apk@classes.dex. Restart the device before trying to install the beta!

Admin feel free to delete my post if you don't like it, but it don't think it violates your rules, according to your "Terms and Conditions" you are only ineligible for Swype Beta if your device ships with it preloaded, being that the Evo didn't...... Anyways I'm just doing my part to help the community to that stage of intimacy....

Cheers.

I think I could follow along...but I don't have a copy of my old swype beta .apk. Anywhere I can pull one for the EVO?

peteg72
12-22-2010, 2:52 PM
Dear Brian,

I am also an EVO user and I have the same problem as a few other posters here. I first uninstalled the Swype Installer and Swype. Then I installed the new installer and when trying to log in, received a code saying: Swype in not available for this device for the following reason: Swype for EVO is Available in the latest OTA update

I found your post here and followed the instructions: Uninstalled Swype installer and rebooted phone. Then: longpress blank screen and change input method to Swype. Swype is not there as an option!

I checked for firmware updates and HTC updates and this didn't work either. Is there something else we can do to fix this?

I see others have the same problem so I probably won't be the last to ask. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to loose my Swype!

Thanks Brian,

Peter G.

Update!!

I just did another check for HTC updates. Sucess!! The OTA update was available and after update, Swype was an option on the text input list. I think this version is better as it has the voice entry option through the google voice app. Thanks Swype!!

gryffyn
12-22-2010, 4:05 PM
Thanks, this was exactly the info I was looking for.

Did the OTA update for my EVO 4g a couple days ago, got the Force Close errors when trying to use Swype, so I've been laboring with the default keyboard.

Uninstalled Swype, uninstalled Swype Installer, then saw there was no Swype at all. Usually with OTA stuff, you can't uninstall the base program so I panicked a little when I saw that Swype had disappeared completely from the apps list. Maybe it's a service and not an app so it doesn't necessarily show up on the list?

At any rate, rebooting made Swype magically reappear. I got one Force Close error the first time I used it, but it worked fine without having to do anything special after I clicked 'close'.

I thought I was going to hate going from a physical keyboard to a 100% touchscreen device, and I would if I didn't have Swype. Can't stand even the better predictive typing apps because I like to think in complete words, not half words and having to get used to how much of a word I need to type before it knows what I'm trying to say. With Swype, I can concentrate on saying what I want to say without a second step of confirming what I typed (unless I see that it got it wrong).

Thanks guys!

Jaypoc
12-22-2010, 4:19 PM
When I was running the stock Sprint Sense ROM, I refused to take any of the OTA updates. It broke more than it fixed. Now, I have been happily running alternative roms, (Lately, MIUI) and have been using Swype for months with no issues whatsoever. Today, I upgraded to the latest release of MIUI and Swipe failed to install as a result of the EVO update. I have not, can not, and absolutely will not recieve the OTA updates from Sprint, but do believe that Swype is a far superior entry-method than any on-screen or external keyboard.

Why won't any Swype officials responded to any of the many posts stating the same?

I would like to hear an official response from Swype.!

raider3bravo
12-23-2010, 12:16 AM
Thanks, this was exactly the info I was looking for.

Did the OTA update for my EVO 4g a couple days ago, got the Force Close errors when trying to use Swype, so I've been laboring with the default keyboard.

Uninstalled Swype, uninstalled Swype Installer, then saw there was no Swype at all. Usually with OTA stuff, you can't uninstall the base program so I panicked a little when I saw that Swype had disappeared completely from the apps list. Maybe it's a service and not an app so it doesn't necessarily show up on the list?

At any rate, rebooting made Swype magically reappear. I got one Force Close error the first time I used it, but it worked fine without having to do anything special after I clicked 'close'.

I thought I was going to hate going from a physical keyboard to a 100% touchscreen device, and I would if I didn't have Swype. Can't stand even the better predictive typing apps because I like to think in complete words, not half words and having to get used to how much of a word I need to type before it knows what I'm trying to say. With Swype, I can concentrate on saying what I want to say without a second step of confirming what I typed (unless I see that it got it wrong).

Thanks guys!

I'll second that. Mine works now and I did exactly as described above. Apparently, swype is installed on the ROM and can't be deleted.

dcharleyultra
12-23-2010, 5:38 AM
Yup. Swype is a service in the Evo 3.70 OTA update.

Swyped from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk

shadowcreeper
12-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Yup, entirely useless to those of us who root our phones and use Cyanogen or MIUI. <sarcasm>Great job Swype team!</sarcasm>

hill10003
12-23-2010, 1:55 PM
I keep getting an error message I am not using an Android (I can assure you that I am). What do I do?

mina.marcurius
12-24-2010, 6:32 AM
I keep getting an error message I am not using an Android (I can assure you that I am). What do I do?

This message means that you may have your brower in "desktop mode", or are using something other than the Android default browser (like Skyfire or Opera Mini). To turn the Mobile View setting back on in the Android browser - Open your browser settings (click menu > more > settings) and locate the option for "Mobile view." Click the checkmark next Mobile View if it is unchecked and retry the download link from your email. If the setting is enabled and you are still getting this error, please head to our forums for support.

mina.marcurius
12-24-2010, 7:12 AM
I have an HTC EVO 4G. It wasn't responding about a week ago and was using the regular soft keyboard. I decided that I should un-install everything and install again today. After taking everything off from the application manager, I tried to install the Swype installer again. When accessed the Swype installer, at first it gave me an error that there's an OTA update. I looked up this conversation and tried to restart, this time it told me "ATTENTION! Swype is not properly licensed. To fix- Press "Disable Swype" and 1) uncheck the box next to Swype then, 2) hit the BACK button to return and "Generate Licences". There is one big problem with that: Swype is uninstalled from my phone so I don't get the option of disabling Swype. At the same time, there is still a Swype option box that doesn't seem to go away no matter what I do trying to clear it, disable it, delete it, etc. This leaves the Generate License button grayed out. Any suggestions?

AioliCream
12-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Yup, entirely useless to those of us who root our phones and use Cyanogen or MIUI. <sarcasm>Great job Swype team!</sarcasm>

some of us who take control of our technology simply don't mind for how sprint sets up their phones. let us use your service, even if we don't use all of sprint's!

we demand answers!

lordway
12-25-2010, 10:54 PM
I have an EVO and went through the same trouble getting Swype back. It wasn't intuitive. It started after Sprint sent out an OS upgrade notice. After upgrading, my EVO rebooted and the Swype error msgs started. I uninstalled Swype then tried re-installing the beta only to get more error msgs. Nobody warned me that Swype was now included in the operating system.

It would be helpful to your customers if the beta web site had a bullet for EVO users letting us know that the recent HTC OS upgrade now has Swype pre-installed and to follow certain instructions to get the application working again. When we signed up for the beta didn't we let you know which phone we had? If so, an email could have been sent with a link to instructions for how to handle the OS upgrade.

Anyhow, Swype is a great application and I'm happy to have it back.

DonCorneo
12-26-2010, 2:30 AM
some of us who take control of our technology simply don't mind for how sprint sets up their phones. let us use your service, even if we don't use all of sprint's!

we demand answers!

The answer is simply that Swype is not planned for release on the Android Market; it is planned to be included as part of the included applications on Android phones from the Service Providers and/or Manufacturers.
You void the phone's Warranty when you root the phone or use a mod ROM. Since Swype is paid to supply the application for OEM phones, you can not have an expectation of Swype working with a phone that is no longer the same as what Swype was made to work on.

It is a risk when you root the phone, and/or use a mod ROM. You took the risk so you lost any legitimate reason to complain that Swype won't work on your modified phone.
If you want to complain to anyone, complain to the person(s) who wrote the mod ROM, or how to root your phone, and ask them to fix what is "broken".

Since Swype is trying to help you and find a way to make Swype work with none OEM phones, I'd think you would be thanking them for trying. It is a loss for them to try and help you, but they are doing it anyway.

Stop blaming Swype because you decided to alter/modify your phone in such a way Swype was not intended to run on.

SteveGrandRapids
12-26-2010, 5:33 AM

we demand answers!You are a BETA tester for a product that is intended to be sold/licensed to OEM/Carriers. The fact that the SWYPE devs allow you to play with their product you should be grateful for. When all is said and done, at some point in time when SWYPE is out of BETA and becomes an RC, the only way you will have SWYPE is by purchasing a phone that the carrier provides SWYPE preloaded on. Until then, enjoy the ride ... ;)

mikeswpe
12-28-2010, 7:58 AM
First of all - thanks so much for this unbelievable product. It just amazes me!
I have updated my evo and am using the swype version that came with it. I was a previous Beta tester.
The Last names from my contacts are pushing to the top of the list again and now First Names from my contacts are taking over too. Any advice?

ScottyBrown
12-28-2010, 10:35 AM
First of all - thanks so much for this unbelievable product. It just amazes me!
I have updated my evo and am using the swype version that came with it. I was a previous Beta tester.
The Last names from my contacts are pushing to the top of the list again and now First Names from my contacts are taking over too. Any advice?

Do you mean that your contacts list is sorted by last name instead of how you previously had it (first name)?

bullred
12-28-2010, 8:12 PM
I got tha over tha air update.. My swype started force closing.. I started to panic.. I love my swype.. I found this thread.. Followed the instructions.. Now I have swype back.. But I can tell its not the same beta version I had.. Cant see any flaws yet.. But Ive only had it back for a couple hours.. Hope It works as well as the beta..

ree071
12-29-2010, 8:21 AM
thanks alot

Sevrinus
12-29-2010, 9:59 PM
I've been hoping that Swype would make it (officially) to the Evo.
I've been using the beta for months and really enjoy it.
My wife has been jealous of it and now we both have it on our Evo's.

Keep up the good work . . .

TMS1987
12-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks, Brian.

I followed your directions and now Swype is working perfectly.

Well done!
TMS

shadowcreeper
01-07-2011, 1:18 PM
It is a risk when you root the phone, and/or use a mod ROM. You took the risk so you lost any legitimate reason to complain that Swype won't work on your modified phone.
If you want to complain to anyone, complain to the person(s) who wrote the mod ROM, or how to root your phone, and ask them to fix what is "broken".

Since Swype is trying to help you and find a way to make Swype work with none OEM phones, I'd think you would be thanking them for trying. It is a loss for them to try and help you, but they are doing it anyway.

Stop blaming Swype because you decided to alter/modify your phone in such a way Swype was not intended to run on.

Shut the f*ck up you bloody idiot! We are only asking that they supply the same files they used to supply. Swype are the ones who broke it! Not the person who installed the rom.

Smiles
01-10-2011, 9:02 PM
I was able to fix my rooted evo by factory resetting my evo. This enabled swype. From there I went to Revoked3 to root my evo again. It works so far.

ddyer-bennet
01-16-2011, 10:43 AM
There's timing for you! I've been waiting for your beta to open up (because I really don't want to give money to SlideIt until I've given you a good chance to capture my business), and what do you know, it shows up in a Sprint update for my HTC Evo.

Of course, that does mean I won't be giving you money directly after all; but that's not bad from MY point of view :-)

BMGRAHAM
03-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Brian
I never knew about Swype until the OTA update and now I have it, I love it. I would like to use the beta version because it fixes a lot of issues - like the tips appearing every time I select a word that is overridden by a word I added to the dictionary.

Is there any way of getting the beta updates or do I have to wait 3 years until Sprint decides it's time to give us on update? Without rooting the phone of course.

Also - some people seem to be able to use Swype to enter the password on the unlock phone screen - but on my phone the password screen only uses the touch keyboard. Is there any way to make it so that the password can be entered by Swyping? I can't use the pattern unlock because in order to receive my corporate e-mail on my phone we have to have a 8 character (or more) password.

BMGRAHAM
03-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Perhaps their should be a class action lawsuit over this.
Oh please - this doesn't warrant a class action suit!

hortstu
12-22-2011, 11:06 PM
The answer is simply that Swype is not planned for release on the Android Market; it is planned to be included as part of the included applications on Android phones from the Service Providers and/or Manufacturers.
You void the phone's Warranty when you root the phone or use a mod ROM. Since Swype is paid to supply the application for OEM phones, you can not have an expectation of Swype working with a phone that is no longer the same as what Swype was made to work on.

Is this the official position of swype or your opinion? My phone was rooted when i became a beta tester. I've only used swype on rooted phones. Why is my device "broken" now that swype is no longer available.

I'm a user of a rooted ROM and I'm very sad to find out i won't be able to use swype any more. Thanks for letting me use your app for awhile. I enjoyed it. Goodluck to you and i hope to see a worthy competitor for rooted users soon. While I love swype, I love my rooted devices more.

atlmtnbiker
12-25-2011, 1:45 PM

Cheers.

i thought the sprint eve did ship w it pre-installed...? i have swype, but i never installed it - i simply chose it after long-pressing a text field.

regardless, i want the dragon capability after using smartkey for a month. is this possible for me? if so, how?

thanks!

Ranvier21
04-25-2013, 7:29 AM
Worked thanks.