PDA

View Full Version : Now that Swype is included on HTC EVO's can we still use the beta?

rhall1340
12-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Sprint is rolling out updates to the EVO that include Swype. It is however an older version than the current beta. It seems as though users should uninstall the Swype beta before installing the update from Sprint, any advice about that would be appreciated as it seems to be causing repeated forced close errors if you don't.

Also, since Swype is now 'preloaded' with the HTC Evo can we no longer use the beta? An official word on if we can reinstall the beta after the Sprint/HTC update would be appreciated as well.

brian.resnik
12-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Swype BETA cannot be installed on devices that include Swype PreLoaded so you're out of luck if you've installed the latest OTA. The Force Close issue is something we're aware but can't do much about, as there's no way to have the OTA check for and uninstall Swype BETA.

To put it bluntly, if you're using a beta you should really be an advanced user and be able to figure this kind of thing out anyway. If you're using software labeled as "beta" and don't know what you're doing, I don't have much sympathy :P

EDIT: Quoting my followup reply here -

First off, I want to apologize for being harsher than I meant to be. Despite being the community rep for Swype, I sometimes forget that emotions don't come through in text the way they do in person. I was intending to be much more lighthearted than I appear to have been.

That said, this is a process for both ends: the beta user and we, the company. The point of the beta is to figure out where we fall short with new endeavors and address those problems. This was clearly one of those situations. In turn, however, our beta users really SHOULD be intimately familiar with their devices. If you're not prepared to troubleshoot a problem that might pop up, a beta may NOT be the best thing for you. That's really what was meant by my original comment, at a time before anyone here at SwypeInc knew this was such a widespread issue.

partyman
12-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Brian,
As you may well know, Swype did not come pre-loaded on the EVO's, now all the sudden it is coming in an update and many were not aware that you needed to uninstall the beta before the installing the OTA. I think it was a pretty fair question to ask about this. I think there should be some kind of understanding from your side on this issue and more of an explanation then being so harsh with your response. Obviously you all gave the OK to let Sprint/HTC include the Swype to be used on the EVO's. Now what does not make sense to me and i am sure others is this.....Why would the version coming via OTA be older than the beta that we are currently using? I am sorry if my response to you sounds rude, but your response to rhall1340 was not exactly polite either. Thank you and have a nice day. by the way i love Swype and everything it does, keep up the great work.

limitproof
12-15-2010, 12:16 PM
what kind of response is that from a "community relations associate"?

im geeked out for Swype but if the company is run by jerks than my excitement has been tempered significantly.

Going to go back to Swiftkey, they had a nice update recently.

MercuryTangent
12-15-2010, 12:24 PM
A beta is, by definition, newer software than any stable release. What we use is bleeding edge: brand new features that are so new the bugs are still being worked out. If swype is being rolled out as a full release it should be something older and more proven than a beta.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

rhall1340
12-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Reply does seem rather harsh. I've purposely NOT installed this update from Sprint in order to come here and find out what the proper method of handling this is. Can't be much more 'advanced' than that. :) I agree that most people who are part of the beta should be able to handle the force close errors, and it seems they are, but there should also be some sort of official word from Swype because ultimately this update puts an end to the beta for Evo users because Sprint will eventually force this update on everyone.

Especially since Swype seems to be aware of the issues with having the beta installed while running the update, a simple email explaining the situation to beta users would be an easy way of communicating it. You can also let people know that essentially participation in the beta program ends when this update is applied as there is no way to prevent it from being applied indefinitely. I don't think any other phone has had Swype included 'post-release' like this so even though I was well aware of the requirement to not install the beta on pre-loaded phones I wouldn't necessarily call an update from Sprint 'pre-loading' Swype.

rhall1340
12-15-2010, 12:32 PM
A beta is, by definition, newer software than any stable release. What we use is bleeding edge: brand new features that are so new the bugs are still being worked out. If swype is being rolled out as a full release it should be something older and more proven than a beta.

I don't think there is any argument there. It seems though that Swype was well aware of this release from Sprint/HTC and should have been pro-active in letting testers know that if they had an Evo things were going to change for them and here's how they should handle it.

dcharleyultra
12-15-2010, 2:18 PM
So will a pre-load forum be coming soon?

Also, for those of us who were on the road and did the HTC OTA without looking at the release notes, is there a preferred way to remove Swype Beta from our UPDATED Evos?

Vetdoctor
12-15-2010, 6:16 PM
Also, for those of us who were on the road and did the HTC OTA without looking at the release notes, is there a preferred way to remove Swype Beta from our UPDATED Evos?

I I'm guessing that if your update is working then out has already installed the beta by simply installing over it. At least this will settle the issue of my Swype beta selecting words with a single tap.

dcharleyultra
12-15-2010, 6:29 PM
I have successfully uninstalled beta from my Evo. I first cleared the data and then uninstalled the beta version. I did not uninstall the Installer because it was version 1.0. I then rebooted my Evo and selected Swype as my keyboard input.

orobus
12-15-2010, 8:37 PM
To put it bluntly, if you're using a beta you should really be an advanced user and be able to figure this kind of thing out anyway. If you're using software labeled as "beta" and don't know what you're doing, I don't have much sympathy :P

That was kind of a jackass reply. You have the beta testers emails and should have notified everyone of this update and the correct method of either removing the Beta and applying the OTA, or advising people to ignore the OTA if they wished to retain access to the Beta. Failing that a courteous reply within this forum would have gone a long way as well. Some people will have no problem figuring out how to correct the Force Close issue, while others might struggle and obviously come to the Beta forum for advice, assuming that would be the point of a support forum.

Hamons
12-16-2010, 6:09 AM
I agree a rude response like that is not helpful. Beta testing is only for advanced users. I, like many others, I assume, went ahead and accepted the OTA update yesterday. Then had the force close issue. Then I uninstalled swype Beta, and now preloaded swype and beta swype don't work.

I guess I'm not looking for "sympathy," just a little support.

dcharleyultra
12-16-2010, 6:20 AM
Two things: did you reboot after the uninstall; did you clear the Swype data?

Hamons
12-16-2010, 6:47 AM
Two things: did you reboot after the uninstall; did you clear the Swype data?

Yes. both.
I still get standard keyboard. If I go into language and keyboard. There is a swype settings -- but no place to select swype as my input.

dcharleyultra
12-16-2010, 6:52 AM
Did you try long pressing in the text input window?

Hamons
12-16-2010, 7:19 AM
ta -da - dcharley -- You taught me something this non-advanced user should have obviously already known. THANKS! It works!

glenneff
12-16-2010, 12:27 PM
I have successfully uninstalled beta from my Evo. I first cleared the cache and then uninstalled the beta version. I did not uninstall the Installer because it was version 1.0. I then rebooted my Evo and selected Swype as my keyboard input.

dcharleyultra, you da man! Took a lot of forum trolling to finally find this fix, but it worked like a champ.

rfeagan
12-16-2010, 3:11 PM
On the previous (sept or nov) beta release, there was a big that caused the tips pop up to come up ALOT. Annoying! This was fixed in latest Dec beta release.
Anyone know if this bug fix made it into the sprint OTA update?

gvsujonny
12-17-2010, 12:20 PM
EASY FIX...

Swype not working? If you updated OTA 3.70.65.1 and DID NOT uninstall Swype Beta prior to your update, try this.....

Uninstall swype and the swype installer apps.
Menu>settings>Applications>Manage Applicatoins> Click on each Swype app> Uninstall

Then power cycle your device. If Swype keyboard still isn't available...
Long-press any text field>Input Method>Swype

This solution has been confirmed, by at least one other person with the same issue.

I hope this helps.

~Beta tester since Nov. 2009

gvsujonny
12-17-2010, 12:26 PM
On the previous (sept or nov) beta release, there was a big that caused the tips pop up to come up ALOT. Annoying! This was fixed in latest Dec beta release.
Anyone know if this bug fix made it into the sprint OTA update?

The official version seems to be much smoother than Beta was. I haven't had the "tip box" pop up on me since the update.

peter.pavlovic
12-17-2010, 12:31 PM
I was in the same boat - here's what you do...
1. Go to Settings->Applications->Manage Applications->All (ignore the force closes)
2. Forcce stop Swype and then choose Uninstall
3. Uninstall Swype installer
4. Reboot
5. When all powered up - go to a text field and long tap
6. Choose Swpe and you're good to go.

I I'm guessing that if your update is working then out has already installed the beta by simply installing over it. At least this will settle the issue of my Swype beta selecting words with a single tap.

ultra1bob
12-17-2010, 12:34 PM
I did the uninstall of the Beta and still had problems. My guess at this point is that Sprint disabled the Swype keyboard while they work out the Force Close issue.
I called Sprint Tech and their test phone had the same issues as mine.

Attention EVO owners - suggest that you DON'T INSTALL the latest update 3.70.651.1 from Sprint. For me, I ended up with no Swype at all due an unknown reason.
If you do, you're trapped with the older version anyway.

dcharleyultra
12-17-2010, 6:10 PM
I am experiencing no issues. I installed the HTC OTA without uninstalling the Swype beta, successfully removed the beta, and am now using the preloaded Swype.

movein
12-17-2010, 7:25 PM
well I was just accepted into the swype beta on 12/8/2010 and then this update came along. I didn't even know to come here or that the OTA included swype. I got repeated force close every few seconds, but managed to change the input method to another keyboard. Called Sprint who had no clue really and was referred to HTC, who seemed perplexed, but after uninstalling the beta and another reboot, I noticed swype settings was listed, and so did the input method again and there was swype. I did NOT get the "scan for 4g widget" that was included in the OTA, so my guess is the OTA "stopped" installing when it got to swype. I have all other items though. So the "administrator" was rude in his comment. You guys accepted me into beta after 6 months on a wait list and the next week give it to HTC to install of my EVO and expect me to know what to do. If you can email me last week, you could've emailed me yesterday to give me a heads up.

deric.villanueva
12-17-2010, 8:12 PM
Hi There, After uninstalling the beta Swype, you need to reboot your device in order for the preload Swype to work. If that didn't work then please keep communicating on this forum.

cdotcom
12-17-2010, 9:48 PM
Unless there is some big difference between Swype Beta and the version released through the Sprint OTA update, I'm happy with being in the Beta program. Swype Beta has been a nice addition to my EVO and I could do without the bloatware from Sprint.

MsRandall
12-18-2010, 6:00 AM
There is a difference...one is beta meaning new untested features and one is tested and optimized and ready to be loaded on a phone like the evo.

As for bloatware I just dont get it.....if you rooted you can remove apps you dont like. If you are not rooted then you keep all Sprint stuff like all the other bloatware you have now..

rfeagan
12-18-2010, 4:41 PM
The official version seems to be much smoother than Beta was. I haven't had the "tip box" pop up on me since the update.

Thanks for this info!

brian.resnik
12-18-2010, 5:11 PM
First off, I want to apologize for being harsher than I meant to be. Despite being the community rep for Swype, I sometimes forget that emotions don't come through in text the way they do in person. I was intending to be much more lighthearted than I appear to have been.

That said, this is a process for both ends: the beta user and we, the company. The point of the beta is to figure out where we fall short with new endeavors and address those problems. This was clearly one of those situations. In turn, however, our beta users really SHOULD be intimately familiar with their devices. If you're not prepared to troubleshoot a problem that might pop up, a beta may NOT be the best thing for you. That's really what was meant by my original comment, at a time before anyone here at SwypeInc knew this was such a widespread issue.

MercuryTangent
12-18-2010, 6:41 PM
What I'm curious of, what's the difference in terms of features between the beta and the new in - built version? Is there a benefit to ditching my beta for the OTA?

Katiegirl
12-19-2010, 12:12 PM
You are AWESOME! So excited to have my SWYPE back! Thank you!

Did you try long pressing in the text input window?

shadowcreeper
12-21-2010, 11:22 AM
What about those of us who do not wish to run the OTA and still want to test out the beta version?

Many EVO users use Cyanogen or simply do not wish to update their phones.

drfosters
12-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Since they want us to be intimately familiar with our devices, for those of you who installed the OTA update and wish to go back to the beta, here are the directions:
First pull a copy of your swype "beta" .apk from your old (or not so old) nandroid / titanium backup (if you don't have one than I guess you are just not intimately familiar :-)).
Go into "root explorer", mount as r/w & delete your current swype.apk (backup first). Next, navigate to system/lib/libSwypeCore.so and delete / rename, repeat for /data/dalvik-cache/system@app@Swype.apk@classes.dex. Restart the device before trying to install the beta!

Admin feel free to delete my post if you don't like it, but it don't think it violates your rules, according to your "Terms and Conditions" you are only ineligible for Swype Beta if your device ships with it preloaded, being that the Evo didn't...... Anyways I'm doing my part to help the community to that stage of intimacy....

Cheers.

shadowcreeper
12-22-2010, 2:10 PM
Except not all of us were on the beta before the latest OTA release. Now the beta downloader won't download anything and tells me to update my phone. I don't want to update my phone. I do want Swype. Why can't you provide us with an apk that we can install (or sell us one)? Are you seriously telling me that you (the Swype company) are FORCING your loyal fans to pirate your stuff?

shadowcreeper
12-22-2010, 2:16 PM
And of course I have no problem being familiar with my device... And making nandroid backups... And flashing custom roms... And using adb... Even compiling it all myself wouldn't bother me... But give us an option... Don't refuse to take our money! Don't force us to pirate!

lessthantito
12-22-2010, 10:30 PM
I had an issue with the Beta today so i uninstalled it and now when I try to reinstall/fix I get ERROR: Swype is not available for this device for the following reason:
Swype for EVO is available on the latest OTA update!
first I am ROOTED and running MYN's Warm 2.2 I have been using SWYPE BETA since I had a Hero I can hardly do without it anymore (I still Swype every time I use the keyboard)
I do not want an OTA update and I would prefer the BETA to the older version but either way I want Swype back, the ROM I'm running has yet to be updated with the newest OTA
I can't seem to find an APK from the new OTA update and no matter what I do I still keep getting the ERROR message anyone have any tips or know how I can get Swype back?

tgi007
12-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Brian, plenty of others have already made the point about your "bluntness", so I'll skip that.

However, I'm not just "out of luck", as you said:

Swype BETA cannot be installed on devices that include Swype PreLoaded so you're out of luck if you've installed the latest OTA.

I did not accept the OTA from Sprint, yet I cannot re-install a broken beta.

Swype beta had, presumably, corrupted something internal, because although it would allow me to type one key at a time, all swype actions would only beep at me and would not fill in a word -- not even the gesture from "Swype" key to "5" to bring up the numeric keyboard, nor "Swype" key to adjacent "SYM" key. This problem began mid-way through yesterday, and I was trying to diagnose the cause.

After trying a number of things, I finally uninstalled Swype, intending to re-install, and test some more to try to isolate a repeatable scenario that would produce the same result -- so that I could do precisely what a beta program is intended to accomplish: file a (useful) bug report.

Instead, I find that Swype Installer now refuses to re-install Swype beta, in spite of not having accepted the OTA from Sprint.

So, in actual fact, your statement omits the key information that the beta-tester is screwed whether the OTA is accepted/installed or not!

Therefore, this bug will remain undiagnosed in your beta program, and will have to be discovered, instead, by a much broader base of less-informed, and less-tolerant, users.

I cannot imagine why Swype made this decision. Yes, of course it's a requirement that the ROM not already contain "production Swype" in order to install the beta. That's perfectly understandable.

What doesn't make any sense is blocking me from installing Swype beta onto an EVO that has not had the ROM updated OTA, and therefore does not contain OEM Swype. There's no conflict.

The net result is that you've forcibly ejected a beta tester from your program who was in the midst of tracking down a serious issue. That's simply not good sense.

lessthantito
12-22-2010, 11:48 PM
I agree with tgi007 I have not installed the OTA and do not plan on it and now I am forced to NOT use Swype at all I can't install the beta or the real version that comes with the OTA, it might be different if there were an APK that we could download that wasn't a beta but there isn't one that's official other than the beta which doesn't work anymore, there are many people myself included that would gladly pay for Swype because it's the best touch screen keyboard that there is. Please fix the beta for EVO user's so that we can continue testing and enjoying an amazing product.

shadowcreeper
12-23-2010, 11:23 AM
I think everybody ought to start spamming their forums with new 1 entry posts: GET SWYPE BACK ON MY EVO!!!

If everybody with an Evo does this once, they might get the idea and fix the problem...

swazey
12-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Brian, WOW - I cannot believe that you, the admin, responded in that manner. Aren't we supposed to post to this forum to get things like feedback and ANSWERS to our problems? We are beta users, not beta managers. We are here to make the software better, not to be rudely responded to by the people we seek to get help from. Follow-up however you want, but the fact of the matter is you posted this: "To put it bluntly, if you're using a beta you should really be an advanced user and be able to figure this kind of thing out anyway. If you're using software labeled as "beta" and don't know what you're doing, I don't have much sympathy :P" and that is an awful thing to say to someone seeking help.

This is directly from the email I received, and everyone else that was lucky (cough) enough to be part of the beta:

"How do I get help?
SwypeInc does not guarantee support for the BETA, however we will do our best to assist where we can. To get help, first read the BETA FAQ, and if you still have questions, post in the troubleshooting section of our forums. Please make sure that you read the HOW-TO before posting.
Our forums are not just for issues, if you have feedback or other questions, please visit them to share your thoughts, see what other people are saying, and check for answers!
Thanks again for your help and support,
-The Swype Team"

Brian, are you part of the Swype team? From your response to the OP, I don't think you deserve to be.

And to top it all off, you NEVER answered the question.

ANYONE THAT IS HAVING FORCE CLOSING PROBLEMS AFTER UPDATE: uninstall Swype and the Swype installer. Power down your Evo and then turn it back on. Go to your text input method and the Swype option should be there.

was that so hard?

iamski
12-23-2010, 7:26 PM
What about those of us who do not wish to run the OTA and still want to test out the beta version?

Many EVO users use Cyanogen or simply do not wish to update their phones.

Definitely agree here, need a way to install on non-Sprint-OTA devices...

dsackr
12-25-2010, 12:03 AM
Definitely agree here, need a way to install on non-Sprint-OTA devices...

2nd or 3rd, or whatever number in the chain I am - Evo with CyanogenMod rocks - if Swype doesn't allow me to install without using the OTA soon - my Swype love will turn into Swype hate...

I don't understand why Swype is following this strange model - just put a paid version of the app in the app store for any android user - where is the logic here???

dsackr
12-25-2010, 1:50 AM
2nd or 3rd, or whatever number in the chain I am - Evo with CyanogenMod rocks - if Swype doesn't allow me to install without using the OTA soon - my Swype love will turn into Swype hate...

I don't understand why Swype is following this strange model - just put a paid version of the app in the app store for any android user - where is the logic here???

Amazing what a little googling around will get you - Swype is installed and working again on my HTC EVO running CyanogenMod 6... :o)

dcharleyultra
12-25-2010, 6:28 AM
Dsackr, place share :-)

Swyped from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk

RDJ117
01-01-2011, 3:30 PM
Two days ago I received a software update on my Sprint HTC EVO and after it downloaded, my Swype beta stopped working. I uninstalled my Swype beta and Swype installer twice, read all the information on forum and on Swype site, downloaded the Swype update and I still cannot get Swype to resume working.

I keep getting this error message: Sorry, The application Swype (processcom.sype.android.inputmethod) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again
FORCE CLOSE

I have read the thread here, but there still must be an issue since I started using Swype three weeks ago when I finally received the invitation for the Beta (I signed up in June) and had no issues until two days ago. No matter what I do I cannot correct this.

Newbee
01-04-2011, 1:21 PM
I have a Sprint EVO, but no Swype. I downloaded Swype, and on the install panel, the warning and a strong 'don't do this' message. IF Sprint is going to have Swype on an update, just exactly when is it going to happen? I got my phone 2 days ago, and have gone through the Firmware update, software update, and still no Swype. I called Sprint, and they said 'no swype coming'. So, what's going on?

dcharleyultra
01-05-2011, 5:50 AM
If you have the Sprint 3.70 upgrade, Swype is preloaded and runs as a service (not an application).

Uninstall your beta version, reboot your phone, and enable Swype using a text input long press.

This has been covered on many, many posts on this forum. People need to learn how to search vendor forums when beta testing OR going to a forum for help. In this case, the answer is in this thread!

Swyped from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk

Newbee
01-05-2011, 10:32 AM
I am sorry for not reading all 45 messages. I was looking for the information you provided, and got weary of the opinions about HTC and Swype, and just wanted to find out why the dots were not connecting. (I didn't have 3.70) And, for whatever reason, Sprint tech support was saying it wasn't going to be available. I have learned that the forums are the best place for the real answers when you get info from a vendor that is not consistent.

Thank you for your gentle RTFM and for actually posting the info.