PDA

View Full Version : Option to install on SD Card

jahmusic
12-09-2010, 5:19 AM
Since the programme is so large I think the final version should be installable on SD card. I had to remove a few other programmes to make room. This could be a useful option.

Phone: Nexus One
OS Android 2.2.1

henriquesp
12-09-2010, 9:34 AM
I'd like to endorse this request as well.

It's really painful to have the Swype Installer, which is basically useless once you have Swype keyboard in place, occupying ~10MB of precious internal memory. That's particularly problematic for phones with small internal memory, like the Nexus One.

So, please, consider the possibility to support the "Move to SD" feature for the Swype Installer.

JimJam707
12-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Yeah I would like this too.
It takes up quite alot of room.

CybrHwk
12-09-2010, 3:05 PM
I would like to see this as well, particularly since its as simple as changing the manifest file :)

jamsh64
12-09-2010, 3:12 PM
Let's have this in the final version.

ZeroSolid
12-10-2010, 5:30 AM
i agree i had to delete alot of things from my phone im still on 2.1 =(

ironman
12-10-2010, 9:33 AM
hey guys in the meantime try this if you have froyo, it works, i have swype installed on my sd card (as well as every other app except widgets):

http://www.lorinbute.com/posts/how-to-force-apps-to-move-to-the-sd-card-on-froyo.html?lastPage=true

JNavas
12-10-2010, 10:49 AM
I'd like to endorse this request as well.
It's really painful to have the Swype Installer, which is basically useless once you have Swype keyboard in place, occupying ~10MB of precious internal memory. That's particularly problematic for phones with small internal memory, like the Nexus One.
So, please, consider the possibility to support the "Move to SD" feature for the Swype Installer.If you check Settings > Manage Applications, you'll find Swype Installer is only 156 KB -- it's the Swype app (service) itself that's 10+ MB, and moving a keyboard app to the SD card probably isn't feasible. Even so, it's not a memory issue on my own Nexus One since I've moved as many other apps as possible to the SD card.

I purchased Ultra Keyboard (US$2.79) while waiting for the Swype beta, and while it was a reasonable alternative, Swype is much better. That said, Ultra Keyboard is less than half the size of Swype (under 5 MB) despite having a wealth of features, so perhaps Swype could be put on a similar diet, perhaps by making some capabilities optional installs (e.g., language support, like Ultra Keyboard).

shmaes
12-10-2010, 9:16 PM
Contrary to what is posted above, on Froyo (Desire), I can't move the application to SD. it is sucha huge application that it must be movable to SD card or split so that most data is on SD card! Please consider this ASAP.

christophermca
12-13-2010, 1:37 AM
I would love to be able to move the app to the sd card or even just move the swype dictionary to the sd card

ironman
12-13-2010, 5:20 AM
you guys should really read the link i posted above, you CAN install/move swype (and any other app) on your SD card if you have froyo, its really simple. install htc sync, download the sdk, open cmd and type in one line. done. swype takes up 1.71mb on my phone.

Markuk1979
12-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Move to sd card is a must, other wise it will have to go :-(

henriquesp
12-21-2010, 9:04 PM
If you check Settings > Manage Applications, you'll find Swype Installer is only 156 KB -- it's the Swype app (service) itself that's 10+ MB, and moving a keyboard app to the SD card probably isn't feasible. Even so, it's not a memory issue on my own Nexus One since I've moved as many other apps as possible to the SD card.

That is indeed true, thanks for pointing that out.
I had also noticed it a while back, but forgot to update this thread about it, sorry about that.
However I do remember seeing the installer having 10MB+ size. I think that during or previous to the installation, while the Swype keyboard is still not installed as a separate app, the device sums up the amount of downloaded data for the installation within the installer app itself. After it's installed, it splits it up into two separate apps.

But, as you pointed below, the size issue still happens, for the main app.

I purchased Ultra Keyboard (US$2.79) while waiting for the Swype beta, and while it was a reasonable alternative, Swype is much better. That said, Ultra Keyboard is less than half the size of Swype (under 5 MB) despite having a wealth of features, so perhaps Swype could be put on a similar diet, perhaps by making some capabilities optional installs (e.g., language support, like Ultra Keyboard).

Again, that is correct. I've used Shapewriter so far, up to Swype, and it had only 3 MB (with just English Dictionary).
I suppose moving the keyboard integration part to the SD will be hard, but having at least the dictionaries shouldn't be.

Additionally, we should be able to customize which languages we would want to install.
I couldn't care less for Japanese, French, German and Italian, and however I still got these dictionaries pre-loaded with the application.
I suppose I could save some 4 to 5MB there (specially for Japanese, which I suppose has the hugest dictionary).

henriquesp
12-21-2010, 10:04 PM
hey guys in the meantime try this if you have froyo, it works, i have swype installed on my sd card (as well as every other app except widgets):

http://www.lorinbute.com/posts/how-to-force-apps-to-move-to-the-sd-card-on-froyo.html?lastPage=true

While the link does point to a valid solution to most apps (thanks!) it also says that it should not be used for apps that would be usable while your SD is being used in mass storage mode.
So, if I'd need to type something while the phone was on USB storage mode, it would just crash. So I suppose it's not really a valid option (of course, if you never use mass storage, you could consider it).

prodigy9
12-22-2010, 1:34 AM
Just started using swype.love it but agree needs option to move to sd. Great app though.