PDA

View Full Version : "Out of Space"

mikmar12
12-07-2010, 3:54 PM
When I try to install the newest beta version of Swype, I keep getting an "out of space" mssg that keep interrupting my download and tells me to free up some space on my phone. My phone has 14 GB of available space. Why do I keep getting this mssg? I had the prior version of swype which worked fine and I uninstalled it to get this newer version, but cant get it downloaded.

alibug
12-07-2010, 5:55 PM
Mine is doing the same thing. I have plenty of space on my phone (Droid Eris) and have had the previous version on my phone without any problems. I've uninstalled the previous version, rebooted the phone, installed the new installer, and try to load the new version and it won't work. Please help. Thanks.

Lawduck
12-07-2010, 5:57 PM
Droid Eris. I freed up space and now have (supposedly) 27MB available after attempting to install (36MB before running installer).

This is nonsense.

RHUBARB
12-07-2010, 6:58 PM
Htc hero. I was having the same issue. Downloaded installer, installed that, logged in, and when I clicked "download swype" it said I didn't have enough space. I had about 25 mb free. Deleted facebook, up to 40 mb free, and tried downloading again, with no problems, I'm swyping right now.

Still almost 40mb of free space too, so plenty of room to reinstall app I deleted.

So its not an ideal fix, but delete a few apps, download swype, then re-install your apps.

alibug
12-08-2010, 7:18 AM
Htc hero. I was having the same issue. Downloaded installer, installed that, logged in, and when I clicked "download swype" it said I didn't have enough space. I had about 25 mb free. Deleted facebook, up to 40 mb free, and tried downloading again, with no problems, I'm swyping right now.

Still almost 40mb of free space too, so plenty of room to reinstall app I deleted.

So its not an ideal fix, but delete a few apps, download swype, then re-install your apps.

THANKS!! That worked! I ended up with ~ 35MB free after deleting a few apps.

Bigbrother
09-27-2011, 3:34 PM
THANKS!! That worked! I ended up with ~ 35MB free after deleting a few apps.

Sorry but it worked not for me. After deleting a few apps I ended up with 51Mb free. I still did received the message: "Out of Space".

When I removed my SD card I get the message, Cannot download the Swype application without a SD card. 12Gb fee. Why this app is using a SD card and still not DL Swype? Who knows the solution?

HELP
BB

rob.boehm
09-28-2011, 8:04 AM
This is not a problem with Swype, but rather a problem with your ROM or even Android itself. I'm still trying to isolate what's going on but I've had this happen to me on several apps. Just need to keep retrying the install and it will eventually install. I've had it take up to 6 attempts for programs to install, without doing anything else in between each attempt.

If you could let me know what ROM and device you're using, I would be interested to know. Trying to isolate it to Cyanogen to get it properly reported.

Bigbrother
10-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Hi Rob, thanks for your time. Where can I find the ROM version?

HTC Disire
Android ver 2.2
Processor: ARMv7 proc rev 2 (v7I)

rob.boehm
10-04-2011, 1:17 PM
From the home screen, press menu, tap settings and select Phone Info; however I'm guessing that if you don't know what ROM you've installed that you haven't installed any.

Bigbrother
10-06-2011, 5:36 AM
Thanks Rob. Do you mean that I have to install a ROM first?

rob.boehm
10-15-2011, 9:42 AM
No you can install Swype on stock OS just so long as it's Android 1.6 or higher and it hasn't come with Swype preinstalled.

safrax
10-20-2011, 9:47 AM
I have the same problem. I can't install beta 3.26 (Western europe) due to a "lack of space" but the phone has 30MB free. How many space is required for the instalation of this package? The device is a Samsung Spica with Android 2.1 (original version no mods). I can't reinstall the previous version so I haven't swype now. Any solution?

Thanks!

rob.boehm
10-20-2011, 8:11 PM
Please re-try a handful of times. I'm fairly certain this is an Android problem. Funny thing is I'm sitting next to a buddy right now and asked him if he ever got it on his Android. He said he has and was deleting software too install a random market app. I'm 99% sure this is an Android 2.x problem that we'll probably never see fixed in 2.x :-/

safrax
10-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Hi Rob,

The problem is always there. No matter how many times I repeat the operation nor the day or hour nor the free space the device has (now ~40MB). It seems that the installer downloads the package correctly because at first its size is 188KB and after the download (just before the error) the size is ~10 MB (using Swype Beta Western Europe). I'm almost sure that the installer can't read or can't start the installation of the recently downloaded package. And it shows the "Out of space" error. Its a pity because I really like this app. And now (and from now on) I can't use it. I've never had this problem with an app until now. Moreover, I use this app since 12/2010, and I have no problems with any other update.

Thanks in advance.

rob.boehm
10-23-2011, 1:45 PM
When the installer fails can you grab a logcat? You can find instructions on how to do this on the following link: http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?994-POSTING-GUIDELINES-READ-ME-FIRST-Get-BETA-for-Android-troubleshooting-help#gethelp

safrax
10-25-2011, 4:31 AM
Hi Rob,

Here is the entire log: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=Mjv8uut0

If you need more info, please let me know.

Thanks!

Butters
10-25-2011, 8:35 PM
Hero/15.45mb avail - Ok. Trying to install today's new version and I can't. Out of space. I have uninstalled some VERY large apps and I don't even have much downloaded on the phone since I'm about to retire it. I have more than enough memory available. Nothing. I did a hard reboot 5 times. Nothing. Killed nonessential apps running in the background each time. Nothing. Now I'm just kind of ticked off. I wish I never uninstalled the last version. Now I can't get it back and I'm stuck with the stock keyboard. I haven't had this problem with the old versions and I've been with Beta since the beginning. Is it because it's no longer "English/Spanish" version vs the new "Americas" version and now it requires more memory??? How much space needs to be available for this version?? I give up. Just really irritated that I have to spend time re-downloading the apps I uninstalled.

safrax
11-01-2011, 12:28 PM
No response yet? Nor ACK?

rob.boehm
11-02-2011, 8:18 AM
Of the send log that we received from safrax it tels us that while you have enough space on your internal storage, when Swype tries to free space from memory it is unable to clear enough space. Could be anything from several widgets being opened, music application playing music, locale going nuts, etc...

safrax
11-03-2011, 2:04 AM
Thanks Rob. Only one more question: Which is the necessary amount of free memory for installing the app? I'm willing to remove all my widgets and the rest of the apps to test if the installer goes on. But only if I can evaluate the efford, because its very annoying install and deinstall again and again all the apps (I did it several times since this new version of Swype).

Now, I have +-26MB of free memory. It is not enough for installing an app? What kind of operations the installer does for needing so much memory? (This is not the first application that I install with this configuration) Is it possible to download the suitable package (e.g. Western Europe) and install it by hand? Really, I cant believe yet that a keyboard that already worked in the same phone since December 2010, with several updates and with (more or less) the same amount of memory, cant be used anymore...

And a comment (a possitive one):

I'm a software developer too and I understand that the characteristics of the new phones has changed substantially and this fact make unneccessary some kind of optimization in the new apps. I don't know if this is the case, because I'm not related with mobile apps nor your application, but we would have to question ourselves if an apps's installer should use ten times more resources that the application itself.

I'm sorry for a long post. This is my last message and my last try :-S. If it doesnt work I'll try another keyboard. I cant waste more time installing and deinstalling apps, widgets or whatever, changing the configuration, etcetera.

Its a pity, I would have paid for this app...

Best regards and good luck.

Dave Brame
11-05-2011, 2:25 AM
I have had this problem with other apps. Most recently the new X-men arcade game. I had to uninstall apps to get x-men to instal only to find that after a reboot the game was gone. Uninstalled itself. I'm running stock bionic

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

safrax
11-08-2011, 5:48 AM
Hello all,

I did my last try some days ago. I removed all third-party apps and I kept my device like it was new. The amount of free memory was near 50 MB and the storage has +-80MB of free space. Well, it seems to be not enough for this big eater installer. Same problem "Out of Space".

I reinstalled all the third-party apps. Then, with the previous original config (26MB free memory, 30MB free storage) I installed Touchpal a similar keyboard. And it works. I have been wasting so much time with this "bug" (because I'm conviced that this is an app's problem). But no more.

Maybe I'll give you a new opportunity once you go out of the beta stage.

Best regards and good luck.

grvenega
02-04-2012, 12:31 PM
I had this issue fixed when moving the application to the SDcard, I assume that if you have the app installed in you SDcard, you can move it to your phone and it should work fine