PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] "Out of Space" Milestone

BatterBits
12-07-2010, 2:47 PM
Phone Make/Model - (Motorola Milestone)
Android OS (or ROM) version (Stock - 2.1 version 1)
Swype version (December Update, 2.15.56.14870)
Is the device rooted? (Yes)

I have had a repeat of the problem experienced in the last beta release - namely that I have to have about 50MB free to install the beta - otherwise it fails with a dialog message "Out of space"

Unhelpfully, it doesn't advise how much "space" is required, and where it is required (Is it looking for running memory, or storage space???)

I had to uninstall applications to free up almost 50MB of space before it would play nice. I started with 16% free on my milestone, 50MB is around 25% free. As soon as I freed the space, it installed without further issue - clearly, it had already downloaded the data to the card (or internal memory, I'm not sure)

I have now reinstalled all the apps I had to jettison, and the free space is now at 14%, 28.3MB

Regards,

Ian

comicmuse
12-07-2010, 3:30 PM
Same problem here on the HTC Hero with the T-Mobile stock 2.1 ROM. I had to clear up about 40Mb space. Even when I had 29Mb free, it was complaining, and would stop, having downloaded 8.23Mb.

vzwguyjay
12-08-2010, 2:56 AM
Have lg ally have plenty of space available 29.84 avail.

jruthe82
12-09-2010, 6:23 AM
Having the same problem with HTC Desire. needed to free up over 40 mb before it would install. Sounds kind of silly. Now I have to reinstall a bunch. Can't wait until U.S. Cellular gets 2.2

jjohnson1977
12-09-2010, 7:32 AM
I have the same problem with my Droid Eris it seems no one knows how much space we actually need to free up. I have 20mbs free, there has to be a work around?

SpookySpider77
12-09-2010, 8:43 AM
Same here with a US Cellular 2.1 desire..had to free up 45 mb or so to install. Had to do this with other apps before. Installed right away after that and works great.

Arcanemagus
12-09-2010, 12:01 PM
The problem is probably similar to what I see on my Droid Incredible. HTC decided to put the folder where all applications store their data on it's own mount point... that only has 150MB of space. So although my phone reports over 400MB of free space to me in the settings, there is really only 15 MB available to applications to store data in.

During install the Swype installer downloads the actual .apk to install swype, and it stores this in the mount area mentioned above. so you need at least the space for that to download (It's a bit over 10MB).

To check if your phone is setup this way, and to see how much free space this "hidden" partition has you need to get to the internal shell. You do not need to be root to do this. The way I did it was to search the market for "Android terminal emulator" and install the first result (by Jack Palevich). Once you have it installed run the application and type "df" and hit enter.

You should see a screen like this:
http://i.imgur.com/ZKTNi.png
Notice the line that begins with "/data/data"? If you see a line like that then your phone is set up like mine and has hidden the amount of space actually available to applications.

The line is pretty self explanatory, but the important part is the last number, in my case it says I have "17972K available", this translates to a little over 17.5 MB (http://www.google.com/search?q=17972KB+to+MB).

So if you are running into out of space errors, this is one thing you can check to see if it is the issue. Hope it helps somebody ;)