PDA

View Full Version : Overzealous "double tap to correct" feature - Nearly impossible to write

Vincent Law
12-07-2010, 1:28 PM
First, the specs, although I doubt it's related:

HTC EVO 4G, latest Swype version (December release).

This issue is most prominent in web browsers (non-specific to any), but can happen occasionally in other areas, especially with lots of pre-filled text.

The issue:

Say, for instance, I quote this post on my phone's browser. In the post box, I tap the end of the paragraph, after the [/quote] tag, so that I can write my reply.

Instead of moving the cursor to after the tag, it highlights the word "quote" and offers corrections. This is annoying in itself, but that isn't all! Upon cancelling the correction window, the word remains highlighted. If I try to select the empty space after again, the correction window returns. If I try to type, the highlighted "quote" word will be overwritten.

The end result is, it is effectively impossible to write anything without deleting the word and writing it again. Oh, and heaven forbid you make a mistake, then you have to start ALL OVER.

This issue did NOT occur until the November release, but I am just now reporting it, as it still exists in the December release.

Also note that when I tap, I am NOT double-tapping, so I don't know why the correction window is even appearing.

Vetdoctor
12-07-2010, 6:59 PM
Yes, Sprint Evo, in the November update this started happening. Only just downloaded December, I'll let you know.

Ravlen
12-08-2010, 5:38 AM
htc desire, and I have the same problem. It didn't happen before, but I can't remember if I was using the november release or not. It is definitely present in the current december release though. I sometimes type something, then switch to a different browser window to verify information. When I come back to the original window to continue typing, I click in the white space at end end (nowhere near the last word), but it still gets highlighted and alternates are suggested. Isn't it supposed to be DOUBLE-tap for corrections?

A workaround is to use the mini scroll/pad to move the cursor, and the word will be un-highlighted. Only works on phones with a scroll ball/pad/arrows/whatever, I guess.

dmcduck
12-08-2010, 9:41 AM
I am having this issue as well. It seems ok in Handcent SMS, but on FriendStream it took me 8 tries to type an 11 word status. That is just about 7 tries too many.

I can't even type individual words, because it is interpreting that as double tapping.

Please fix ASAP.

brian.resnik
12-08-2010, 1:16 PM
This is not a behavior we've seen before and may be a configuration problem on individual devices or a software conflict, as we're unable to reproduce this on any of our testing devices here at the office (EVO, Nexus One, MyTouch3G, Droid1). If anyone can help us find a way to GUARANTEED reproduce this behavior from a FRESH device installation (meaning installing Swype immediately after factory reset) we'll try to track down the cause. We'll also need as much information as possible about the device: model, ROM version, radio, SPL, etc

Vincent Law
12-08-2010, 3:20 PM
This is not a behavior we've seen before and may be a configuration problem on individual devices or a software conflict, as we're unable to reproduce this on any of our testing devices here at the office (EVO, Nexus One, MyTouch3G, Droid1). If anyone can help us find a way to GUARANTEED reproduce this behavior from a FRESH device installation (meaning installing Swype immediately after factory reset) we'll try to track down the cause. We'll also need as much information as possible about the device: model, ROM version, radio, SPL, etc

I'll work on this later tonight. I've never noticed it NOT happen, so unsure why it wouldn't happen on a fresh device.

IanS100
12-08-2010, 3:23 PM
HTC Desire: Same problem, it's all but impossible to insert a word without deleting one. It's only started with the new update

Vincent Law
12-08-2010, 7:26 PM
Okay, I can confirm that a full reset of my device (stock rom, data erased, absolute clean slate) does not have the issue.

In addition, I was able to resolve the issue by completely uninstalling Swype and reinstalling it. I'm not sure if it was an issue with upgrading or what, but removing and installing it seems to have solved it.

Vetdoctor
12-08-2010, 11:56 PM
If anyone can help us find a way to GUARANTEED reproduce this behavior from a FRESH device installation (meaning installing Swype immediately after factory reset)

I was a pro at this on my Palm but have never done it on the Evo. Now, on the Palm, a hard reset ams factory reset were two different things. A factory reset would erase even the phone number of the Palm and you would have to go to sprint to re-register your phone. Assuming you mean a"hard reset"that erases all but the actual phone number does this mean I would have to re-down load all my programs, contacts from google, ect? What precautions can I take to prevent surprises?

Vetdoctor
12-09-2010, 12:12 AM
Oh yes, in installing the December Swype I had to delete the November Swype plus installer and re-download the new ones . I might try deleting it once more before a bigger project.

Novarider
12-09-2010, 4:20 AM
I am having this problem also. My phone is an Htv Evo I'm running sacs hd rom if that matters. IMO a keyboard shouldn't have to be installed on a clean rom that would mean I have to wipe everything just to get this"feature"working the way it should. Maybe you should make this "feature" optional in the settings so people that are having trouble with it can simply turn it off

Vetdoctor
12-10-2010, 3:38 AM
IMO a keyboard shouldn't have to be installed on a clean rom t

It is common for programmers rip ask at least a few people to do this, if the program still acts up, it is the program.

Novarider
12-13-2010, 5:46 PM
Any update on this issue? It is extremely annoying and happens on every rom I have installed (which are several)

I have also noticed that if you just tap once on a word like if you want to add a word before it the keyboard thinks your trying to double tap. Its sooooo annoying

Vetdoctor
12-14-2010, 2:49 AM
Any update on this issue? It is extremely annoying and happens on every rom I have installed (which are several)

Have you tried deleting and reinstalling Swype? That's my next move.

IanS100
12-17-2010, 3:21 AM
I tried a reinstall after a clear data and complete uninstall of Swype & installer - downloaded all new components & installed but it's just the same, very annoying!!