PDA

View Full Version : Disable additions to the dictionary on a per app basis

Nikesh Amin
11-30-2010, 10:32 AM
As a medical student, I often have to use terminology that does not come up in everyday conversation. I often use apps, like Epocrates, to search for medical information and many of these services offer live searching. The problem arises when I only have to type three or four letters to get to a piece of information I need (i.e. if I type dox to look up doxepin) then Swype will often use that word in place of a much more common word (i.e. six, fox, etc. would end up as dox). It would be great if Swype either had a toggle within the keyboard app itself or within the settings menu which allowed the user to turn off dictionary additions, ideally on a per app basis. This would allow me to use Swype and still be able to add the crappy slang I like while eliminating all this "dox" nonsense. Thanks for the great keyboard though!

JNavas
12-10-2010, 12:25 PM
As a medical student, I often have to use terminology that does not come up in everyday conversation. I often use apps, like Epocrates, to search for medical information and many of these services offer live searching. The problem arises when I only have to type three or four letters to get to a piece of information I need (i.e. if I type dox to look up doxepin) then Swype will often use that word in place of a much more common word (i.e. six, fox, etc. would end up as dox). It would be great if Swype either had a toggle within the keyboard app itself or within the settings menu which allowed the user to turn off dictionary additions, ideally on a per app basis. This would allow me to use Swype and still be able to add the crappy slang I like while eliminating all this "dox" nonsense. Thanks for the great keyboard though!The basic problem is the way Swype automatically adds anything you type (good or bad) into the dictionary. I would much prefer an option to only add words to the dictionary explicitly.