PDA

View Full Version : Word Choice/Suggestion show WACKY (non-English??) words?? (putt: pyotr, piotr, outre)

Shuggah
11-26-2010, 6:38 AM
I have chosen "English" as my language but the following situation happens with MANY different words. This is just one example that I can replicate every time!!!....

I type in the word "putt" and up pops the word choice window (either by itself or with a double-tap on "putt"...either way) and suggestions are the following: outre, pyotr, piotr.

What ARE these words?? I have chosen "English" as my language...what WORLD are these words from!!!

Bad enough that Swype will even suggest these odd words. It is even WORSE when Swype will "smartly" insert the word "Pyotr" in your text...NO good :-/

PYOTR!!?!?!?

Is there a way to get rid of these words?? Is this some sort of BUG that suggests non-English words?? Is there a way to customize the dictionary so that I can get RID remove them completely from the dictionary or have swype LEARN that these words shouldn't be suggested or allow us to REMOVE the words from the dictionary.

I can ALWAYS add outre, pyotr and piotr back to the dictionary if I want!! ;->

THANKS!!

mikeymop
11-26-2010, 7:11 PM
lmfao!

I love the way you portrayed your post. it's rather comical.

It seems Swype has been getting more and more garbage words sinec 1.52 after was/wasn't was fixed. I actually adjusted myself to avoid that word choice problems and hope they can get it as good as it was back then.

rob.boehm
11-27-2010, 10:54 PM
If when trying to delete these words from your dictionary they come back it's probably because Swype is pulling it from your web or search history. Either that or it's pulling it from your contact list. We do agree however that dictionary management needs to be much better, but that's a much larger and longer project than many people may imagine.

michaeltanyk
11-28-2010, 8:42 PM
Robert, then, why not give us an option to disable learning or skimming from contact list?

Shuggah
12-03-2010, 1:01 PM
If when trying to delete these words from your dictionary they come back it's probably because Swype is pulling it from your web or search history. Either that or it's pulling it from your contact list. We do agree however that dictionary management needs to be much better, but that's a much larger and longer project than many people may imagine.

Hello Robert...thank you for the reply.

However, these words that I mention are NOT in my dictionary and not from my web/search history. I am familiar with who to highlight and "swype-key" delete words that I add to my dictionary. I have done that many times with words that pop up that I know I don't use any more or if I, on occasion, I accidentally add a misspelled or nonsense word to my dictionary.

But again, these are word that **I** have NOT added and are NOT pulled from web searched.

Just earlier today, I meant to swype "said" and accidentally swyped "sais" then up popped the word choice window with the following suggestion:

saris
sais (what I typed)
satis
dais
dados

Some words I recognize but OTHERS...????

Satis?? Here are the definitions I found (NEVER HEARD of before!!):

(1) In Egyptian mythology, Satis (also spelt Satjit, Sates, Satet, and Sati) was the deification of the floods of the Nile River...
(2) Satis House is a fictional estate in the Charles Dickens novel Great Expectations...
(3) (and this one is a DOOZIE!!) sutˇtee also saˇti (s -t , s t ). n. 1. The now illegal act or practice of a Hindu widow's cremating herself on her husband's funeral pyre...

And Dados?? Never heard of that by apparently a REAL word:
(1) Architecture The section of a pedestal between base and surbase. 2. The lower portion of the wall of a room, decorated differently from the upper section

But in the previous versions I NEVER had ALLLLLL these words pop up. Swype was either much less inclusive or much more selective. EITHER way was better. The dictionary with SUCH SUCH SUCH obscure words is just annoying overkill.

And to reiterate from my OP...piotr?? pyotr?? outre?? I'll MAAAAYBE give you "outre" (yet another NEW word to me) meaning "a. 1. Out of the common course or limits; extravagant{2}; bizarre; outlandish{2}; as, an outré costume ." but both Pyotr and Piotr are such UNBELIEVABLY OBSCURE variants of "Peter" in RUSSIAN and I ask WHY are those words suggested????

And I have NUMEROUS other examples on a many-times-a-day basis. I can appreciate the fact that the back-end programming in permitting better management of the dictionary might be tough but WHY did the word choice popups seem to be SO MUCH BETTER/APPROPRIATE in previous versions?? I certainly don't recall Russian variations of "Peter" popping up in my word choice window in previous versions :-/

ukabdale
12-15-2010, 1:52 AM
I'm with you, Shuggah.
This has gotten much worse since the December release. Nonsense words (albeit legit words in someone's circle) seem to have been given a higher priority than everyday words. I didn't notice it much prior to the recent update, but now it's almost unbearable.
Swype feels far less accurate too. Type the word 'sore' and the first suggestion is 'write', but those are two completely different swype motions. One goes anti-clockwise, and the other clockwise.

Shuggah
12-16-2010, 9:40 AM
I got a NEW one for all of you...

I typed in "when" and needed to change it to "what." Here were some of my options from the Word Choice window:

shem
eben
shen
efren

I might be MISTAKEN with one...might have been "efrem" instead of "efren"...either way, WHAT IS GOING ON!!?!?

penguin6636
12-17-2010, 12:45 PM
No kidding, I think what swype is actually doing is teaching us words from languages around the universe! Perhaps "pyotr" is "putt" in Omicronian. My swype has taught me all kinds of words with hyphens and apostrophesin them like "wigl'free" and "tim-po." I haven't firgured out what they mean in English yet. Can we have the original swype back please?