PDA

View Full Version : Really?! Another new bug... ???

TylerMF
11-19-2010, 4:09 PM
Aside from getting the same problems that everyone else seems to be getting with the November Swype ("Hidden Word" popup, contacts list/ nonsense words dominating their word suggestion, "updated" word priorities being just awful, etc...) I'm also getting something else that I haven't read about here yet. I notice that after every reboot of my phone, Swype just won't work :mad: I'll go to swype a word, but all it does is a blue highlight pops up briefly (encompasses the whole keyboard) and then nothing. No error message, no tip/ suggestion box, not the word I swyped, NOTHING. Sometimes it does this RANDOMLY also, like not even after a reboot!! Until I use the "fix" that I came up with it just doesn't work. I'm able to correct the problem by going into: menu/settings/applications/manage applications, then scrolling down to "Swype" and selecting it, and finally select the "Force Stop" button. IT'S SO ANNOYING!!! :mad: These last few updates, and ESPECIALLY this November update, are so awful that I wind up just just uninstalling Swype (in fear that if I don't, I may become so frustrated that I will throw my phone across the room.) Has anyone else come across this "new" problem as well?? Holla if you hear me.

brian.resnik
11-20-2010, 9:19 AM
Just FYI, a "new bug" is kind of the point...this is a BETA. NOT a release candidate. The whole POINT of this program is to release new, untested code so you can help us find the bugs. We don't build the beta with the intent of "fixing things that were broken in the last update" - though we do often fix things. We build the update with unstable code so you can help us find out WHY it's unstable. That's the whole point.

That being said, why don't you try reading the "WHAT IS A BUG" thread at the top of this forum, and then going to the troubleshooting forum where this kind of thing belongs and posting there, making sure you follow the posting guidelines? ;)

TylerMF
11-21-2010, 1:12 AM
Just FYI, a "new bug" is kind of the point...this is a BETA. NOT a release candidate. The whole POINT of this program is to release new, untested code so you can help us find the bugs. We don't build the beta with the intent of "fixing things that were broken in the last update" - though we do often fix things. We build the update with unstable code so you can help us find out WHY it's unstable. That's the whole point.

That being said, why don't you try reading the "WHAT IS A BUG" thread at the top of this forum, and then going to the troubleshooting forum where this kind of thing belongs and posting there, making sure you follow the posting guidelines? ;)

Hey Brian,
I'm Glad that I'm hearing back from you. And I fully understand, and am aware of what "the whole POINT" of a beta testing program is (I am currently beta testing 5 different applications for 2 different mobile OS's because the dev's are personal friends of mine) I also write a little code myself, and have even made a few apps of my own. So I fully get it that you need a group of people that are willing to test the new code and find these things for you (after all, that's the whole reason that were all here and have these copies of Swype right?). The thing that I am confused about however is the statement that you made which was, that your intent is NOT to fix things that were broken in the last UPDATE. You're almost partially correct there Brian. You were 100% correct in stating that a BETA release will indeed be buggy, and that it's the release candidates that should be "bug free" or as close to it as the dev team is comfortable with. Here's the contradiction that I'm now finding with your argument. So pardon me, and with all do respect, I thought that when you "updated" a BETA it was to not only incorporate and test new code, but also to fix the problems that users experienced previously? I mean isn't that the goal of a BETA, to get it closer to that release candidate? Or did you wanna ignore those errors and hope that the code fixes itself in you text editor (if this happens for you, PLEASE email me the editor that you use. I could really use one like that myself)

Now, on a side note, I wanna go ahead and say that you're absolutely right. I was maybe wrong to post this thread in the "bug reports" section. I was also wrong for titling it the way that I did (I was very frustrated when I wrote the OP). I had just assumed that I could post in this forum seeing as how what I reported is indeed a bug. And another FYI, I did read the "What Is A Bug" thread at the top of this forum. And as far as I know, the issues that I reported are indeed bugs. They meet BOTH of your criteria:

1. The program did not behave according to the programmers intentions. (Are you
trying to tell me that it WAS the intentions of the programmers for all of these
issues to be occurring?)
AND
2. The programmer's intentions did not fulfill common, and reasonable user
expectations. (Well I wouldn't be posting here Brian if the program fulfilled my
expectations now would I? And is it so unreasonable to ask that WELL KNOWN
and documented issues be corrected?)

Now the other thing there is that I was never asked by you or anyone else to submit a LOGCAT. You could've simply asked if you wanted one. But alas, you didn't.

All that being said, why don't YOU try reading my OP located just two posts up ;) and make sure that you read it all the way to the end. I was simply asking other users if they'd experienced this issue as well. So perhaps it's not I that has the problem with reading things thoroughly. And from this point on I'll DEFINITELY be sure to post this kind of material in the proper section.

P.S. It's probably not the best practice for you, an administrator, to go around making snippy and backhanded remarks to the people that help you out. Do you really think I participate in BETA's to get the cool programs for free? Not at all my friend, it's really easy to find the Swype.apk using nothing more than google, and to then download and install it from there. I do this as a hobby (because I enjoy it), and in this particular case (pertaining specifically to Swype) I do it because I think this idea is brilliant and I want to see it grow and succeed. So next time try not to bite the hand that feeds you, cause this time it bit back.

I know you'll delete this. So I'll just say this now. Thanks for the opportunity to test this cool app, and I wish you all the best. I hope someday a final release candidate makes it to the market. I'll be anxiously awaiting to give you my money until then.