PDA

View Full Version : How to install Swype Beta on a phone already pre-installed with Swype? (Epic 4G)

takabanana
11-18-2010, 11:59 AM
I got an Epic 4G (Galaxy S) recently - and it comes pre-installed with Swype.
I have not figured out how to make a Beta release override the one that came with it.
I deleted the data and uninstalled the Installer and rebooted the phone and tried it, but every time, it tells me that it is already installed.
Does anyone have a step-by-step instruction on how to get the Beta installed on a Samsung Galaxy S series phone (or specifically, the Epic 4G)? Thanks.

rob.boehm
11-24-2010, 5:12 PM
Installation of Swype on stock OS on devices that come with Swype production is not supported. They only way you may be able to make this work is to gain root in your system and uninstall Swype, then reinstall Beta; however this probably WILL NOT WORK (so I wouldn't try it anyway).

The only way we can support a beta version of Swype on a device like the Evo 4G would be for you to root the device and then install a different version of Android other than what Sprint uses for the Evo 4G (i.e. CyanogenMod)

Daveydomino
09-26-2012, 2:57 PM
I have a Motorola Atrix 4G and it came stock w. Swype keyboard and I am having no problems whatsoever with it, but other than the extra battery drain, so is it truly worth re–rooting my phone to uninstall the stock one?

I have paid 4$ for SwiftKey 3, and though I dig it for the fast typing correction, it A) I'm has issues with. Multi touch and lacks SO many features on comparison to the new Swype (ie jestures, editing controls, and the new dragon voice recognition)

But it took me forever to un root my phone to get the new less-tham-exciting Motorola update (still no ICS?) that I really don't feel like rooting it again just to uninstall the stock Swype.

If I leave the stock version, what issues could I face, if any?