PDA

View Full Version : Need help with install on Moto Backflip

gvaeth
11-16-2010, 11:52 AM
I just remembered that I was waiting for Android 2.1 to get Swype on my Backflip, so I dug up the Beta email.

I downloaded the new installer, and as expected, got the “only apps from trusted sources can be installed” message (thank you, AT&T). I copied the installer apk to my pc, then used the SDK to install the installer. It ran just fine, prompted me for name and password, then started the Swype app download. Again, as expected, I got the “only apps from trusted sources can be installed” message. My plan was to copy the Swype apk to my PC then use SDK to install but I have searched several different ways with Astro for the apk and can’t find it. Anyone know the location and file name? It's not in sdcard/download. If not is there a web location where I can grab the apk? Thanks.

metalking
11-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi,

I think it could be here : /data/data/com.swype.android.installer/.SwypeInstaller
This is a hidden file referring to the point at the beginning of the filename.
Found this looking at my logcat, not really sure if the file actually exists.

Bye

metalking
11-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi,

I think it could be here : /data/data/com.swype.android.installer/.SwypeInstaller
This is a hidden file referring to the point at the begining of the filename.
Found this looking at my logcat, not really sure if the file actually exists.

Bye

gvaeth
11-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks, but my /data folder is empty! Not looking for installer but the actual app. Installer runs but I assume is zaps the new apk after the install fails.

gvaeth
11-17-2010, 6:02 AM
A colleague who is also in the Beta copied the apk from his Droid and sent to me. I was able to install via SDK, and the Swype settings are now there in Language and Keyboard settings, but I never got the Enable Swype button, which I assume is offered by the Installer after a successful install. Thus no Swype-ing yet.

Is there a way to get around the AT&T lockdown?

rob.boehm
11-24-2010, 5:42 PM
I don't have a Moto Backflip to check this out, but from the settings menu see if there is an option for Language & Keyboard. If that's available hopefully you'll have a check box to enable Swype under Text Settings. After that's checked in theory you'll be able to long press on any input field and change the input method to Swype.