PDA

View Full Version : Expanding beta test?

brapodam
11-12-2010, 8:16 PM
Are there any plans to get new beta testers anytime soon? I've been waiting for quite a while already, would like to get a taste of Swype on my device :)

I think it would be nice if you guys could accommodate more beta testers, it's frustrating to see such a good software out there but have no means of getting it other than downloading a hacked version of it.

MrObvious
11-14-2010, 3:30 PM
I agree that something should be done so more people can have it. Perhaps releasing more devices with Swype and allowing more people into the beta program would be a nice way to go.

jaxxa90
12-07-2010, 6:09 PM
I have to agree.
In my opinion there should be some way for people to get swype on their devices.
Either through an open/expanded beta or available for a price on the app store.
All this will do is force people to use pirated versions or look into competitors products.

SusanC
12-08-2010, 5:28 PM
I have been waiting for months and finally got my Beta invite today and I couldn't be happier! I had been using ShapeWriter but didn't like it anywhere near as much as Swype. It didn't recognize a lot of the words I spelled out and I would get so frustrated that I'd just end up typing out each letter. Swype is definitely the best thing out there!

nod2mybeats
12-08-2010, 6:52 PM
I GOT MINE TOO!

I swear when I saw it in my email, my face lit up like the Fourth of July, I've missed it so much. DLing now! =] Thanks SWYPE!

zad1999
12-08-2010, 7:04 PM
I GOT MINE TOO!

Same Here!! OMG!! I love it. Until the Sprint Evo came out, I've always had a physical keyboard. The virtual one has been very challenging, not to mention, embarassing at times (darn typos). THANK YOU SWYPE. Already downloaded, installed, and tested. I can text so much faster now.

On another note, I did think it was odd that SWYPE came with the Samsung Epic since it has a full QWERTY keyboard, but yet the HTC EVO with only a virtual keyboard did not. I don't get the logic, but nonetheless, I'm happy to finally have SWYPE.

nod2mybeats
12-08-2010, 7:13 PM
I know they pre-warned you that this file is big, but seriously how long does install take? It's been downloading for over 15 minutes via wifi and I have a wireless-N router. I don't want to stop the download in case it is actually working, but is this normal?

ETA: PFFT. Turns out it wasn't moving. I went out and went back in, and it finished in about four seconds. Thanks again!!

jsapp36
12-08-2010, 10:00 PM
I saw that people were getting invites. I signed up months ago (or so I thought) and again the other day. Sadly, I still can't use or even buy this. :(

regnor
12-09-2010, 1:33 AM
I received my invitation today...can't belive how great this is :)

Rasmus Mogensen
12-09-2010, 2:10 AM
finally got my swype invite today aswell... and i am really happy about that :)

but i see no danish language in the new beta?.. is there anyway to add it manually or?

henriquesp
12-09-2010, 9:30 AM
I've also got my beta invite today, and the Portuguese (Brazil) support seems great!

The only drawback I've seen so far is the necessity of the Swype Installer, which takes ~10MB of space.
For phones with limited internal space, like the Nexus One, this is a major flaw.
While you don't put the app on the Android Market, it'd be really helpful to have a lighter version of the Swype Installer or, what I'd say is more viable, to support "Move to SD" feature for the Swype Installer for Android.

I'll put that request in the feature request forum (or endorse if it's already there).

Best regards,
Henrique.

MagicMan
12-09-2010, 9:31 AM
Now if the installer will just download it! :) hehe..

JimJam707
12-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Hey guys, I got my email today :D
Loving it :)

czuber
12-09-2010, 1:20 PM
Still waiting for my email as well

jsapp36
12-09-2010, 9:59 PM
Huh....logged in and was able to resend invite???? anyway I am glad, I am finally legit and can contribute.

Fone_Fanatic
12-10-2010, 5:11 AM
I can't remember when I signed up but I as well got my email!

I've also got my beta invite today, and the Portuguese (Brazil) support seems great!

The only drawback I've seen so far is the necessity of the Swype Installer, which takes ~10MB of space.
For phones with limited internal space, like the Nexus One, this is a major flaw.
While you don't put the app on the Android Market, it'd be really helpful to have a lighter version of the Swype Installer or, what I'd say is more viable, to support "Move to SD" feature for the Swype Installer for Android.

I'll put that request in the feature request forum (or endorse if it's already there).

Best regards,
Henrique.

Why not just delete/un-install the installer after you've installed swype? Then when you get an email about an update, follow the link and reinstall the installer.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

JNavas
12-10-2010, 10:16 AM
While you don't put the app on the Android Market, it'd be really helpful to have a lighter version of the Swype Installer or, what I'd say is more viable, to support "Move to SD" feature for the Swype Installer for Android.If you check Settings > Manage Applications, you'll find Swype Installer is only 156 KB -- it's the Swype app (service) itself that's 10+ MB, and moving a keyboard app to the SD card probably isn't feasible. Even so, it's not a memory issue on my own Nexus One since I've moved as many other apps as possible to the SD card.

I purchased Ultra Keyboard (US$2.79) while waiting for the Swype beta, and while it was a reasonable alternative, Swype is much better. That said, Ultra Keyboard is less than half the size of Swype (under 5 MB) despite having a wealth of features, so perhaps Swype could be put on a similar diet, perhaps by making some capabilities optional installs (e.g., language support, like Ultra Keyboard).