PDA

View Full Version : Latest Android Beta Update

Maris_
11-12-2010, 8:37 AM
THANK YOU!

This is so much of an improvement I am back to using Swype. Finally the words I swype are actually the words entered again. The microphone is a nice addition, too, and much appreciated.

It's great to be able to use Swype again!!!

michaeltanyk
11-17-2010, 11:04 AM
@maris you write too soon. Once you use it enough, you'd realise that it's as broken as the Sept beta - hidden popup will appear, your contact list words will dominate all selection and you can't delete useless words they skimmed from your contact list.

It is now UNUSABLE AGAIN.

TylerMF
11-19-2010, 3:12 PM
@michaeltanyk - THANK YOU!!!!!!! I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one experiencing these problems!! My contact list words completely dominate ALL of my "autoselection", and I also get the "Hidden" popup (almost 2-3 times PER sms!). It is literally so bad that I can't even use this. Swype used to make my typing faster. As a result of these problems, it's now so slow that I just get frustrated and want to throw my phone! And I too have found that you cannot use the old delete words method that they've always used in the "Tips" or "Tutorials" or whatever help section the app has. It's really unfortunate that this keyboard has come to this. I have been a beta tester since day 1 for Swype, and I think back on how good and fast it was, and how promising the future looked for this keyboard (for me), and now I use it and wonder what happened. I really hope that they fix these issues soon, as I REALLY did love it when it worked. Hopefully someone will read this and offer us a little insight as to when this will all get sorted out. Until then tho, it's the old standby SmartKeyboardPro for me!

kurisu
11-22-2010, 12:47 PM
I wish I could use the new version period. After my latest system update on my Nexus 1, to 2.2.1 (FRG83D), I had to reinstall Swype and noticed the new version with the all new "Installer" as well. I believe the old Swype occcupied about 6-7MB of space on my internal memory but the new Swype along with the Installer seems to be just over 20MB!!! I looked into unistalling the "Installer" but according to swype, it's required for future updates.

I'm sorry guys, but there's just no way I could afford 20MB+ on my N1. Its too bad too, it was my favorite input method:(

Edit, uninstalled "Installer" to make space and tried using Swype. On my very first attempt at the new Swype, a pop up came up informing me that the Swype installed is not configured for my device and does not function.

brian.resnik
11-22-2010, 2:31 PM
kurisu: We know this is becoming a problem. It's one of the reasons we have been hesitant to include additional languages. Kind of a lose-lose situation for us. Don't include languages, make some people unhappy. Include languages, make others unhappy. We've come up with a couple of different ideas on how to address this, so hopefully this should be taken care of at some point in the near future.

BTW, the installer only takes up 10mb when it has the APK cached in its data directory. Once Swype is installed, you can clear the SwypeInstaller cache (which it should do on its own anyway).

The error your seeing means that the license didn't install properly. Please try the install process again from scratch, and include all the info requested in the "POSTING GUIDELINES" thread if you still have trouble.

@michaeltanyk & TylerMF: I'm not sure why you're experiencing these issues so severely still. While the hidden word popup still exists, it should be MUCH less frequent than the Sept. version. Can you give us some examples of specific problem words, and exactly when you're seeing these frustrations? Vague statements of "contact list words dominate the word choice window" don't help. We need to know what words, what you were trying to swype when it happened, etc etc.

brian.resnik
11-22-2010, 2:31 PM
kurisu: We know this is becoming a problem. It's one of the reasons we have been hesitant to include additional languages. Kind of a lose-lose situation for us. Don't include languages, make some people unhappy. Include languages, make others unhappy. We've come up with a couple of different ideas on how to address this, so hopefully this should be taken care of at some point in the near future.

BTW, the installer only takes up 10mb when it has the APK cached in its data directory. Once Swype is installed, you can clear the SwypeInstaller cache (which it should do on its own anyway).

The error your seeing means that the license didn't install properly. Please try the install process again from scratch, and include all the info requested in the "POSTING GUIDELINES" thread if you still have trouble.

@michaeltanyk & TylerMF: I'm not sure why you're experiencing these issues so severely still. While the hidden word popup still exists, it should be MUCH less frequent than the Sept. version. Can you give us some examples of specific problem words, and exactly when you're seeing these frustrations? Vague statements of "contact list words dominate the word choice window" don't help. We need to know what words, what you were trying to swype when it happened, etc etc.

kurisu
11-22-2010, 4:51 PM
Thank you very much for your post Brian. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Installer as well as Swype and sure enough, I was able to delete the cache in the installer manually through the Settings>Applications>Swype Installer>Clear Data. Its now about 128kb:)

During my first attempt earlier, I recall how the "Enable Swype" window never showed up after Swype finished installing and the Swype log in page shows up instead. That might be the problem as the same thing occured during my second install attempt just now. I am using DolphinHD when I click on my email link to download the files if that matters. It seems I cannot download the file with the stock browser.

I could respect and understand the problem with adding more languages. Satisfy some and annoy some at the same time, it must be a difficult juggling act for you guys.:(

Thanks again Brian, I'll continue fiddling and reinstalling it and let you know if I succeeded. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Chris.

Edit, I have uninstalled and installed Swype as well as the Installer numerous times today and without fail, after the Swype installation finishes, the "Enable Swype" pop up never appears and the screen reverts back to the Swype Installers log in screen.