PDA

View Full Version : Swype November Update Installed but not working

mrtrumpet
11-12-2010, 4:30 AM
Along with other forum poster I also had a great deal of difficulty downloading the latest update on my stock Droid 1 with Froyo installed. But after several tries I finally did. It now shows both the full program (10+ meg) and Swype Installer in my list of applications. The problem is it doesn't work. Even after rebooting, which is what it did to get it to show up in my apps list, it still doesn't work. It does not appear in the list of Input possibilities. The only thing there is Android Keyboard.

Any advice to get it to work would be appreciated.

Dave

LindyLoo
11-12-2010, 6:55 AM
I have had to uninstall the installer 5 times and start of scratch each time in order to get it to even look like it wanted to work...then it wouldn't show "the swiping action" but did show the voice...I finally got it working smoothly. I just didn't give up!
*Droid 1 with 2.2

brian.resnik
11-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Along with other forum poster I also had a great deal of difficulty downloading the latest update on my stock Droid 1 with Froyo installed. But after several tries I finally did. It now shows both the full program (10+ meg) and Swype Installer in my list of applications. The problem is it doesn't work. Even after rebooting, which is what it did to get it to show up in my apps list, it still doesn't work. It does not appear in the list of Input possibilities. The only thing there is Android Keyboard.

Any advice to get it to work would be appreciated.

Dave

Go to Settings -> Language & Keyboard and make sure you put a check in the "Swype" box. If the installer didn't take you there automatically, you probably backed out too early and it won't work anyway. After pressing the "Done" button on the Swype installation it will take you back to the "Start Download" screen. DO NOT BACK OUT YET. You must wait for the "Enable Swype" window to come up, or the license download will be cancelled.

mrtrumpet
11-13-2010, 5:11 AM
Thank, Brian. That did the trick. But... now the program itself is not working. I select the keyboard and start using Swype, but no text is entered. When I type regularly letters and words appear. When I use the microphone for speech to text, letters and words appear. But Swyping words is not functional. I even tried the tutorial and words were not appearing as the automatic demo was progressing. In fact it appeared to hang (crash) on the first example, "Swype is quick." Nothing appeared in the text box although the blue line tracing the words showed on screen.

Any further counsel on what may be the issue and how to solve it?

Thanks.

Dave

mrtrumpet
11-13-2010, 5:28 AM
Oops, never mind. I got it working by uninstalling everything and going through the full process as you identify in the instructions. Duh! Hopefully I won't be reporting any other troubles!
Dave