PDA

View Full Version : How much space is required for new beta?

glennp
11-11-2010, 6:16 PM
I'm trying to install the November 11th beta on my HTC Magic.
I uninstalled the old beta and installer. When I run the new installer I login, and the app downloads. When it tries to install I get a message:

Out of space
Swype could not be viewed. Free up some space on your phone and try again

I uninstalled about 12 Mb of apps uninstalled the installer and rebooted. still no luck.

How much space do I need?
This is no fun, I gotten dependent on Swype, the stock keyboard is no fun

MrObvious
11-11-2010, 6:42 PM
What about your SD card?

glennp
11-11-2010, 6:50 PM
2.5 Gb
It shouldn't be an issue

Jabrnet
11-11-2010, 7:35 PM
I am getting the same error on my Milestone... I had the same problem with the last upgrade too.. I would love to know how to fix this.. I have 34MB left of free space... there is no way I am out of space on my phone.. I even un-installed google maps at 10MB to free even more space and still no fix...

Robert55
11-11-2010, 7:52 PM
Same problem on the G1. Did a complete wipe on the phone and still get the same error.

brian.resnik
11-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Please read the POSTING GUIDELINES thread at the top of this forum. You MUST include all of the requested information in order to receive help.

For these issues, please also include a logcat (instructions in the posting guidelines thread).

nigelwill
11-12-2010, 1:49 AM
My HTC Desire running stock Froyo had 31MB free after I uninstalled the previous beta. After install, there was only 11MB free and I was getting a warning that I was running out of storage space. But it appears that 10MB of that was temporary and it now free, so I have 20.5MB free now.

The latest version does appear to be significantly bigger, it's gone up from ~6MB to ~10MB?

Jabrnet
11-12-2010, 7:48 AM
Device Make/Model : Motorolla Milestone
Wireless Carrier : Telus Mobility
Android Version : Stock 2.1
ROM Version : Stock
Are you using APPS2SD? : No
Full text of the error message : Title "Out of Space" Then in body of error "Swype could not be viewed. Free up some space on your phone and try again."
What troubleshooting steps have you completed so far? Uninstalled, got new email from Beta, downloaded new installer, installed that, then tried to download swype then get error. Uninstalled a buch of apps, had almost 40MB free space, tried again, got same error.. Tried moving everything out of download folder, tried again, got same error.
Are you a ROOT user? : no... well, sort of... Bootloader is locked down, no custom roms or anything, basically I can use Titanium backup and that's about it from what I can tell... I've managed to install swapper 2 but it doesn't look to want to work for me...

Logcat link... http://pastebin.com/LMk1E2jD

brian.resnik
11-12-2010, 9:27 AM
Jabrnet: Your logs don't show anything particular to a Swype problem. This could be an application conflict with something else on your system, or a configuration problem with your Android device. I'll bounce this over to one of our QA folks and see what they think.

Jabrnet
11-12-2010, 11:26 AM
i just had it work for me i had to take it off off wifi and use my regular data connection. no matter what i tried with wifi it would not work

metalron
11-12-2010, 2:52 PM
Ok not sure what did the trick for me on my milestone but seems like once I got rid of a few apps and had clear space of 50mb everything went fine
It now works perfectly, I have made a run down of apps that I took off (now reinstalled) if it helps anyone.

facebook
adobe reader
adw
ebuddy
rock player

diogenes
11-12-2010, 7:04 PM
I also have this problem
Device Make/Model : HTC Legend
Wireless Carrier : Mobifone Vietnam
Android Version : Stock 2.1
ROM Version : Stock
Are you using APPS2SD? : No
Full text of the error message : Title "Out of Space" Then in body of error "Swype could not be viewed. Free up some space on your phone and try again."
What troubleshooting steps have you completed so far? After uninstalling prev version (both installer and Swype) and installing new installer - the Out of Space problem occured; Uninstalled some apps to have 29 Mb free space and 3 Gb free on SD card. Uninstalled new installer and downloaded it again. Installed that, then downloaded swype and got the error a third time.

tdroza
11-15-2010, 1:44 AM
Same problem here: uninstalled the old Swype app and installer, downloaded new installer, ran installer and a few seconds later got the "Swype could not be viewed" message.

As reported above, uninstalling some more apps (facebook, a couple of games and another keyboard) to make more space has fixed the issue. Looks like the space is released after the installation because I'm able to reinstall those apps again.