PDA

View Full Version : The Swype package you installed is configured for another device...

jeffro
11-11-2010, 2:24 PM
I somewhat recently (~6 weeks ago) replaced my Evo 4G as an insurance swap. In spite of the new Evo having a different ESN, the last Swype beta installed with no issue.

Today, on updating, I was greeted with the "The ID of the Phone doesn't match your registration" message. I had expected to see this when I swapped handsets a monthish ago, so I wasn't surprised by this; I just logged into my web account and removed the old the phone (side note - I can only do that once??).

The update then installed without issue.

However, on first launch, Swype is now telling me:

"The Swype package you installed is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality.

Please contact Swype about this issue."

And yeah - I can tap out the letters on the keyboard, but I can't actually swype. That's pretty limited.

So here I am, contacting Swype about this issue. What's my next step?

Sprint EVO 4G, stock ROM (never rooted), Froyo, Software number 3.29.651.5.

Jeff Simpson
11-11-2010, 3:46 PM
"The Swype package you installed is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality. Please contact Swype about this issue."

Same error message here. Droid 1, upgrading from a previous version of the Swype Beta. I've gotten that SAME ERROR with every upgrade, so I guess it doesn't surprise me that this one is broken, too.

Fix seems to usually be to Clear Data, uninstall Swype, Uninstall Swype Installer, REBOOT, install swype installer, install swype.

War Machine
11-11-2010, 3:59 PM
same error message.

htc evo. happened a few hours ago. i connected to the app store to update all my apps, when it was done, swype wouldnt work, so i attempted to reinstall, but it still wouldnt work. installed the new one from the beta website, and got the "configured for another device" error. it is installed, and i can type by button press, just not swype...kinda defeats the purpose. id rather be able to go back to the old version which actually worked. this also happened before when i allowed my phone to update all my apps, i'm thinking there is something in swype that doesnt like it when you try to update the apk through the marketplace.

Royal2000H
11-11-2010, 4:03 PM
I also have a Droid 1 and also upgraded from the old beta. I'm getting the same error about being configured for another device.

I tried clearing data, uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling to no avail.

brian.resnik
11-11-2010, 4:31 PM
For anyone getting the “Configured for another device” error, please make sure that when you hit “Done” after Swype finishes installing, you wait for the “Enable Swype” window to appear.

DO NOT press the “back” button when you see the “Start Download” button again. The license file is being generated at the time, and exiting the installer will kill the license download.

rfurman
11-11-2010, 4:53 PM
Thanks Brian. That seems to have taken care of it.

War Machine
11-11-2010, 4:55 PM
*feels stupid*

that worked. i was just hitting "done" then going to settings and enabling swype

le_avion
11-11-2010, 5:01 PM
Thanks Brian, this worked. Is there a way you can, in the future, make the installation easier?

dtarules
11-11-2010, 5:38 PM
I get a message that says" download of the package failed. swype is already installed. please uninstall and try again.

I never get the message about enabling swype.

armthehomeless
11-11-2010, 6:03 PM
I get a message that says" download of the package failed. swype is already installed. please uninstall and try again.

Same here.

EDIT: Weird. I just did the same method I did the last 5 times and this time it didn't come up with the package download error. I waited and the enable swype button came up. All works fine now!

DivinoAG
11-11-2010, 6:41 PM
I'm getting the same problem. I uninstalled everything from the previous versions, re-downloaded the installer, entered my correct user/pass, installed, tapped "Done", and got the message below:

Download of the package failed
Swype is already installed. Please uninstall and try again.

Going to the config, I cannot change the language, or actually swype.

Zweihander01
11-11-2010, 7:10 PM
I'm getting the same problem. I uninstalled everything from the previous versions, re-downloaded the installer, entered my correct user/pass, installed, tapped "Done", and got the message below:

Download of the package failed

Going to the config, I cannot change the language, or actually swype.

I'm having the same problem. It installs fine up until I hit "Done" and then instead of eventually bringing up the "Enable Swype" button it gives me the "download failed" error.

aldenpotamus
11-11-2010, 8:20 PM
So I was also having problems with the install, even when I tried to wait for the enable swype. What I found that worked was the following:

-Select a different keyboard (like the Android Default)
-Disable the swype keyboard (in settings).
-Clear the data on the installer.
-Uninstall the installer.
-Clear the data on swype.
-Uninstall swype.
-Reboot.
-Install the installer.
-Reboot (may not be necessary, but I did).
-Run installer and install swype.
-After hitting done, wait for the "Enable Swype" to show up.
-Enable swype.
-Select it as your keyboard and get swyping.

Cheers,
Alden

Sinistar83
11-11-2010, 11:00 PM
So I was also having problems with the install, even when I tried to wait for the enable swype. What I found that worked was the following:

-Select a different keyboard (like the Android Default)
-Disable the swype keyboard (in settings).
-Clear the data on the installer.
-Uninstall the installer.
-Clear the data on swype.
-Uninstall swype.
-Reboot.
-Install the installer.
-Reboot (may not be necessary, but I did).
-Run installer and install swype.
-After hitting done, wait for the "Enable Swype" to show up.
-Enable swype.
-Select it as your keyboard and get swyping.

Cheers,
Alden

Stupid question, after you reboot (on the step where you said it may not be necessary), how do you run the installer? Where is it located? If I go to manage applications > downloaded, I see Swype installer there, but no button to run it, only install.

brian.resnik
11-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Sinistar83: It will show up in your main applications list, just like any other app.

If you are still receiving the "Swype is Already Installed" error, we'd like your help tracking down the problem. Next time you see the error, please UNINSTALL Swype (but not SwypeInstaller), and then tell us if there are still files remaining in the directory /data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod. Thanks!

If you'd just like to get it fixed, please try the "basic troubleshooting" steps listed in the POSTING GUIDELINES at the top of this forum.

Also, in the future, PLEASE make sure you include ALL of the information requested in that thread. It's VERY hard for us to offer help if we don't have all the necessary information.

Dave17
11-12-2010, 5:12 AM
If you are still receiving the "Swype is Already Installed" error, we'd like your help tracking down the problem. Next time you see the error, please UNINSTALL Swype (but not SwypeInstaller), and then tell us if there are still files remaining in the directory /data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod.

Brian - after uninstalling Swype (but not SwypeInstaller), I checked the path that you suggested here and it isn't on the phone (of course, data for the installer is.) I am still getting the Swype is already installed message. FYI, I never had a problem installing or updating Swype, until I recently switched from Bugless Beast to Cyanogenmod 6.1 RC3. Not sure that's relevant, but thought I'd toss it into the ring.

UDPATE: okay, it appears that the error might be somewhat erratic. After rerunning SwypeInstaller, my install was successful (I have the voice input icon, and can Swype.) What I did this time was to uninstall Swype, rerun the installer, and wait for a new license after hitting the "done" button. To be clear, I had tried this method before, as well as uninstalling Swype and SwypeInstaller with a fresh boot before attempting to reinstall.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help,
Dave

jeffro
11-12-2010, 5:59 AM
As suggested shortly after I posted, a "clear data > uninstall > re-download > re-install > tap "Done".

Thanks!!

Yagermeister
11-12-2010, 6:05 AM
Worked perfectly now! Thanks Brian!

For anyone getting the “Configured for another device” error, please make sure that when you hit “Done” after Swype finishes installing, you wait for the “Enable Swype” window to appear.

DO NOT press the “back” button when you see the “Start Download” button again. The license file is being generated at the time, and exiting the installer will kill the license download.

barryf
11-12-2010, 6:06 AM
As suggested shortly after I posted, a "clear data > uninstall > re-download > re-install > tap "Done".

Thanks!!

It did not work for me until I also cleared my cache/Dalvic cache.

N1 running CM 6.1rc1

Such panic at the thought of losing my Swype!

-Barry

drmdwebb
11-12-2010, 7:38 AM
You sure, based on these kinds of issues, that you don't want to go back to "alpha" in the release title?

ynoti_bz
11-12-2010, 7:45 AM
I have tried pretty much everything recommended here and still get the error that it is already installed after hitting done. I have uninstalled both the app and the installer, rebooted the phone, looked for the /data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod (it is not there but com.swype.android.installer is).

As much as I like swype, this process of installing the new versions is ridiculous. Each time I go through this trying to find the magic touch that will get it to work again. If someone has an answer, please post it soon, otherwise, for me, I will give up and look for some other keyboard that I can live with that does not have these hassles with installation.

For information purposes, Original Droid with Bugless Beast 0.5 installed.

UPDATE: I got it to work finally, by doing the steps on the Post Guidelines including installing Swapper 2 and stopping everything running that made sense and then installing.

brian.resnik
11-12-2010, 8:55 AM
You sure, based on these kinds of issues, that you don't want to go back to "alpha" in the release title?

We're considering going to "Swype EXPERIMENTAL" actually, heh. This particular issue will be addressed with a quick installer update sometime in the next few days, actually.

nicksgarage
11-12-2010, 9:54 AM
Thanks, fixed mine using this procedure. Don't remember having this problem with previous builds.

TaylsMum
11-12-2010, 11:30 AM
I had the same problem... went in to major panic mode lol....
Then uninstalled and reinstalled and waited for Enable Swype to come up and all is well again.....
Just the thought of living a swype-less existence was almost too much to bear LOL
:)

dtarules
11-12-2010, 1:41 PM
Still doesn't work for me. I have tired on the steps with the same result. There is nothing in the directory /data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod when i followed the instructions.

cyben76
11-12-2010, 2:55 PM
I'm having same problem, using MIUI ROM 11.12, it was working with all the MIUI ROM until the latest Swype update.
I tried
Clear Data Swype
Uninstall Swype
Clear Swype installer data
Uninstall Swype Installer
Rebbot
Redownloading Swype installer with several different browsers.
Install and Click on "DONE" waited waited it did not open the "Enable Swype" window, repeat all the steps above again, waited about a min before clicking on "Done", when clicked Swype for close, repeat everything again... Click on Done it went to "Start Download" waited few minutes it went back to login on it's own waited and waited still no "Enable Swype"

More info on my phone:
Google Nexus One
Android 2.2.1
Kernel Version 2.6.35.7
Build 0.11.12-MIUI

Would changing the Build to FRG83 help?

Meliku
11-12-2010, 3:39 PM
So I finally fixed mine!

Was getting error: swype package you installed is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality

Cleared Data on both Swype & Swype Installer and uninstalled
Using Astro File manager and going to "Downloads" I had 5 different "Sype-Installer"s
I removed all five of them
I went to http://beta.swype.com/android/get & re-downloaded it from scratch
Installed everything, my phone prompted me to enable swype instead of having to do it manually and it worked!

HTC Incredible

Thanks Swype for being so awesome :)

cyben76
11-12-2010, 4:12 PM
I'm having same problem, using MIUI ROM 11.12, it was working with all the MIUI ROM until the latest Swype update.
I tried
Clear Data Swype
Uninstall Swype
Clear Swype installer data
Uninstall Swype Installer
Rebbot
Redownloading Swype installer with several different browsers.
Install and Click on "DONE" waited waited it did not open the "Enable Swype" window, repeat all the steps above again, waited about a min before clicking on "Done", when clicked Swype for close, repeat everything again... Click on Done it went to "Start Download" waited few minutes it went back to login on it's own waited and waited still no "Enable Swype"

More info on my phone:
Google Nexus One
Android 2.2.1
Kernel Version 2.6.35.7
Build 0.11.12-MIUI

Would changing the Build to FRG83 help?

So i changed the Build to FRG83 in build.prop and now swype works.. Weird...

brian.resnik
11-12-2010, 4:51 PM
So i changed the Build to FRG83 in build.prop and now swype works.. Weird...
What was your Build set to before that?

cyben76
11-12-2010, 5:07 PM
What was your Build set to before that?
Originally as in ROM, Build 0.11.12-MIUI
I changed
ro.build.display.id=0.11.12-MIUI
to
ro.build.display.id=FRG83

ro.build.id, ro.build.description and .fingerprint is already FRG83 though..

brian.resnik
11-12-2010, 5:19 PM
Originally as in ROM, Build 0.11.12-MIUI
I changed
ro.build.display.id=0.11.12-MIUI
to
ro.build.display.id=FRG83

ro.build.id, ro.build.description and .fingerprint is already FRG83 though..

Thanks for the info. Now to confirm this as a fix, and not just a coincidence :)

Bryan84
11-12-2010, 8:28 PM
EVERYTIME I upgrade my Swype, I get this issue. And I cannot seem to get it fix even after following the instructions. So pissed!

Motorola Milestone

So I finally fixed mine!

Was getting error: swype package you installed is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality

Using Astro File manager and going to "Downloads" I had 5 different "Sype-Installer"s
Installed everything, my phone prompted me to enable swype instead of having to do it manually and it worked!

HTC Incredible

Bryan84
11-12-2010, 8:48 PM

When I hit "Done", it brings me back to the Installer and it tells me, "Download of the package failed. Swype is already installed. Please uninstall and try again." I've read and tried all methods here, failed.

* Device Make/Model: Milestone
* Wireless Carrier: Singtel
* Android Version: G.O.T 2.2.1
* ROM Version: CM6-RC3
* Are you using APPS2SD? No
* Are you a ROOT user? Yes

Sinistar83
11-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Sinistar83: It will show up in your main applications list, just like any other app.

If you are still receiving the "Swype is Already Installed" error, we'd like your help tracking down the problem. Next time you see the error, please UNINSTALL Swype (but not SwypeInstaller), and then tell us if there are still files remaining in the directory /data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod. Thanks!

If you'd just like to get it fixed, please try the "basic troubleshooting" steps listed in the POSTING GUIDELINES at the top of this forum.

Also, in the future, PLEASE make sure you include ALL of the information requested in that thread. It's VERY hard for us to offer help if we don't have all the necessary information.

Yeah I followed what was posted (the basic troubleshooting steps), uninstalled Swype, but left the installer installed... Nothing at all in /data/ folder.

The error I get is: Download of the package failed

So after I hit OK (I never seen an enable option), I go to keyboard settings and I see Swype there with latest version. It enables OK.. But when I go to actually use it, I get the configured for another device error. I can "peck" type on it, but swyping does not work.

Also I read the basic troubleshooting steps, and already did that and I see #6 says to install SWAPPER2. Not sure what that is.. is it safe to download?

Thanks for your help.

* Device Make/Model: Moto DROID (Original)
* Wireless Carrier: Verizon
* Android Version (2.2 OTA)
* ROM Version: Stock
* Are you a ROOT user? No

sousafrui
11-13-2010, 12:35 PM

Same Here! Thank god i have titanium backup installed and was able to restore last version.
Tried 5 times already with no luck. Probably will stick with the last version.
Swype people should improve the update method. I don't know what i do if after This update i tas forced to use another keyboard.
Sugestivo: give registered users the option to download previous versions of swype.
is there another workarround to get pass this update problem?
suggestion 2: older phones don't have That much internal storage space. 10Mb is little to big... any possibilitie to reduce the size of the app?

skeezicks
11-13-2010, 12:46 PM
So I finally fixed mine!

The solution above worked for me too -- I deleted all of the Swype installers from my download directory and started from scratch, and finally the install worked as intended.

cyben76
11-13-2010, 2:15 PM
Thanks for the info. Now to confirm this as a fix, and not just a coincidence :)

I haven't tried changing it back.. Will try it now to confirm...

cyben76
11-13-2010, 2:40 PM

Seems like i can't replicate the problem again. The "Enable Swype" window seems to pop up even if i change the build back..

Edit: Guess i spoke too soon, even when the "Enable Swype" window came up, i still can't swype... changing Build now to see if it works.

Edit 2: I can Swype now, just needed to change the Input Method back to Android keyboard first, type a few text, change the Input Method back to Swype and i can Swype... Build remain unchanged..

metalking
11-14-2010, 8:02 AM
Hi,

I'm having the same issue with my HTC Magic running CyanogenMod 6.1 (Froyo). I install the Swype Installer, click the download button, install Swype, click Done and I'm getting the "Download of the package failed. Swype already installed" error message. Then, manually activating Swype, I get the "Limited functionality" error like everyone here.

I tried everything, namely :
- Clear data and uninstall both the installer and swype, reboot, activate swap and reinstall
- The same but clearing the cache and dalvik cache after uninstalling

Nothing solved this problem.

Thanks for your help!

Update : logcat available at http://pastebin.com/rS2w5q1p

brian.resnik
11-14-2010, 9:51 AM
Our belief at this point is that, now that the Swype-Installer is a service, instead of being terminated when there's low memory, it puts the application into a sleep state, from which it's not resuming gracefully. Nobody's in the office today (it is Sunday afterall), so we'll look into it tomorrow.

txetxo
11-15-2010, 2:38 AM
Hello

I have an HTC Magic, with Cyanogen Mod 6.1. Since installing this version I could not use Swype.

I followed your steps to reinstall Swype. I no longer displays the error message, but I can not write, because there is no language.

How do I fix this?
Thanks

mleach99
11-15-2010, 6:14 AM
Hi,

I'm having the same issue with my HTC Magic running CyanogenMod 6.1 (Froyo). I install the Swype Installer, click the download button, install Swype, click Done and I'm getting the "Download of the package failed. Swype already installed" error message. Then, manually activating Swype, I get the "Limited functionality" error like everyone here.

I tried everything, namely :
- Clear data and uninstall both the installer and swype, reboot, activate swap and reinstall
- The same but clearing the cache and dalvik cache after uninstalling

Nothing solved this problem.

Thanks for your help!

Update : logcat available at http://pastebin.com/rS2w5q1p

I am getting this same issue. Have tried every method of installing swype posted in this thread, even the one involving downloading swapper 2. Nothing works, always the same error. Not even getting the chance to hit the back button, i hit done and it always says download failed. swype already installed. when i try to swype, i get the swype package installled is configured for another device. Cant figure out what next to try...

EDIT: I even tried a complete wipe to factory data/dalvik (after doing a nand backup) and still got the same error with swype being the first thing i tried installing, even before logging into my google account to sync things.

Droid Eris
Verizon
2.2 Froyo
Rom: Nonsensikal Eris v12.5
no app2sd
yes root

monjelay0921
11-15-2010, 11:09 AM
I have tried to download the updated version of swipe. The first time I was getting the message “configured for another device” error. Then I choose to uninstall and start over. Now it is retrieving the license, please wait. The problem is it has been on this screen now for six minutes. My phone is on the stay awake mode. Please help I cannot live with the stock key board.

HTC EVO
2.2 Froyo
Rooted: no

monjelay0921
11-15-2010, 11:24 AM
I have tried to download the updated version of swipe. The first time I was getting the message "configured for another device" error. Then I choose to uninstall and start over. Now it is retrieving the license, please wait. The problem is it has been on this screen now for six minutes. My phone is on the stay awake mode. Please help I cannot live with the stock key board.

HTC EVO
2.2 Froyo
Rooted: no

Never mind I got it working. I had to clear data from the installer and then the license when right through.

Stewartwi
11-16-2010, 1:57 AM
Hi guys I keep getting the error

"The ID of this phone does not match your registration at beta. swype.com"

Won't let me get any further then this. I'm running a G2 with Cyanogen's 6.1RC on it and was just trying to redownload the beta for Swype since the phone came preloaded with it. Any help would be greatly welcome.

metalking
11-16-2010, 9:36 AM
Our belief at this point is that, now that the Swype-Installer is a service, instead of being terminated when there's low memory, it puts the application into a sleep state, from which it's not resuming gracefully. Nobody's in the office today (it is Sunday afterall), so we'll look into it tomorrow.

Are there news about this issue? Did you find out what the problem was?

Thanks

brian.resnik
11-16-2010, 2:00 PM
Please please please PLEASE people, include all the information we request in the "POSTING GUIDELINES." Telling us "it doesn't work when I do this" is virtually USELESS to us unless we have ALL the information we requested, including a logcat of the error. Thanks.

siouxtupa
11-16-2010, 5:27 PM
Add me to the list. I've had no troubles installing until the latest update.

Device: Droid Eris
Wireless Carrier: Verizon
Android Version: 2.2 FroYo
ROM Version: NonSensikal 12.5
Are you using APPS2SD?: No

Error appears right after install "Download of the package failed. Swype is already installed on the device..." This appears whether I press "back" or "Done" when the install finishes. I've tried pressing Done instantly as well as waiting. If I manually enable Swype, I get the "configured on another device" error.

What troubleshooting steps have you completed so far?

I've performed the EXACT steps in the posting guidelines including installing/configuring Swapper2 and stopping as many apps as possible. Under Running Services I showed almost 80mb of free RAM. How could that not be enough!?

Are you a ROOT user?: Yes

I am getting the "Force Stopping" listing in the log, but I honestly can't believe an app would need that much free RAM to install.

http://pastebin.com/kBSGqihr

siouxtupa
11-16-2010, 9:51 PM
I finally got it to work after probably 20-30 attempts using the recommended steps. Here's the method I used, though it seems to vary by phone.

Removed swapper
Set compcache to 18%
Turned off JIT
Removed themed HTC keyboard that came w/ ROM
Rebooted
Downloaded swype installer
Installed using Astro rather than Root Explorer
Installed Swype, got error when clicking done
Manually enabled and tried anyway, error
Disabled, cleared data on swype, uninstalled
Left installer installed
Tried re-running installer without rebooting
This time no error when clicking done, said retrieving license
Had to manually enable because no prompt
Got config error
Cleared data on swype, uninstalled
cleared data on installer
Re-ran installer
Successfully installed, prompted to enable, WORKS

I may have just run into a good memory situation, but I didn't reboot or go thorough a lot of memory freeing steps this time. Hopefully this helps someone out there. I really look forward to a better swype install solution.

trippyd
11-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Phone: Nexus One
Build: Stock 2.2.1 (FRG83D)
Carrier: USA Tmobile
Non root user
Tried:
Fully clearing data and uninstalling anything vaguely swype related, then reboot and download installer again. No dice

Logfile: http://pastebin.com/zYe9XpKY

Wraith404
11-23-2010, 7:51 AM
Device: Nexus One
Wireless Carrier: T-Mo
Android Version: 2.2.1 FRG83D
ROM Version: Stock
Are you using APPS2SD?: Yes (2.2 native with adb overide "setInstallLocation 2")
Root: Yes

Swype has been working great for me up until yesterday when I received the FRG83D OTA update. After that, I immediately started getting the error this thread relates too. A full clear/uninstall/reinstall (with "setInstallLocation 0" in effect) pattern corrected the issue. I know better than to run a system type app from SD, this one stays installed to "phone". I've even experimented with it with Swype just to see, and never had this result. It actually runs fine from SD untill the next reboot, when it has to be moved back and risks needing to be reinstalled. Anyway, it was installed to phone at the time of the Android update, though my default InstallLocation was set to external (2). So, that poses the question, did the Android Nexus One update break Swype, or did Swype try to update something on it's own only to become corrupted because of my InstallLocation setting?

If it's the installLocation I'm sure it's not really a scenario you want to support, but in the event it's not I thought you might like to have this report.

bluesea
11-23-2010, 2:16 PM
I ran into the same error. This works for me:

Force Stop on Swype.
Clear data for Swype
Uninstall Swype
Clear the data for Swype Installer
*STOP as many processes as you possibly can*
Re-run the installer, at which point (for me), every went as it should.

Stopping the maximum amount of processes before installing is the key.
Good luck

brian.resnik
11-23-2010, 7:19 PM
Device: Nexus One
Wireless Carrier: T-Mo
Android Version: 2.2.1 FRG83D
ROM Version: Stock
Are you using APPS2SD?: Yes (2.2 native with adb overide "setInstallLocation 2")

Swype has been working great for me up until yesterday when I received the FRG83D OTA update. After that, I immediately started getting the error this thread relates too. A full clear/uninstall/reinstall (with "setInstallLocation 0" in effect) pattern corrected the issue. I know better than to run a system type app from SD, this one stays installed to "phone". I've even experimented with it with Swype just to see, and never had this result. It actually runs fine from SD untill the next reboot, when it has to be moved back and risks needing to be reinstalled. Anyway, it was installed to phone at the time of the Android update, though my default InstallLocation was set to external (2). So, that poses the question, did the Android Nexus One update break Swype, or did Swype try to update something on it's own only to become corrupted because of my InstallLocation setting?

If it's the installLocation I'm sure it's not really a scenario you want to support, but in the event it's not I thought you might like to have this report.

It was the update :P Swype never works after updates. We need to regenerate the license file based on the new ROM image.

cdenneen
11-23-2010, 8:44 PM
I've had this happen in the past and used Swapper2 to install... but this time doesn't seem to work... I have increased swap file size in order to free more memory... but still no go...

http://pastebin.com/6Ug6SSrP

cdenneen
11-23-2010, 8:56 PM
I've had this happen in the past and used Swapper2 to install... but this time doesn't seem to work... I have increased swap file size in order to free more memory... but still no go...

http://pastebin.com/6Ug6SSrP

http://pastebin.com/XrJPkSxr

tjs620
11-25-2010, 5:08 AM
Ever since I tried the "New Beta" update I have experienced every error notice that has been listed and tried every "fix". Swype before the "update " worked on every Rom I installed, BB, Ultimate Droid, Cyanogenmod , and Simply Stunning without any problems except that I had to uninstall any previous versions.
I love Swype which is why I kept trying to get it to work but I've had enough and won't even attempt to update my Wife's phone.
I'm going to keep watching the forum until it is fixed.
Until then Swiftkey is an excellent alternative.
Maybe Swype shouldn't put an update out when they are re-locating.

littleman00
11-25-2010, 9:44 AM
Swype was working fine until a few days ago. Now, it tells me it' configured for another device, an error which I've gotten before. Nothing I've tried has fixed this. Here's what I've done:

1.) Disabled, cleared cache, and uninstalled Swype. Then, did the same for the installer.
2.) Found the original email invite for the beta and used that to download the installer.
3.) Installed the installer, then downloaded and installed Swype, but the "Enable Swype" screen never came up.
4.) Enabled Swype through the settings screen.

I also noticed that I always get the "Swype is already installed" error whenever I run the installer.

Any ideas?

tjs620
11-25-2010, 4:22 PM
Swype was working fine until a few days ago. Now, it tells me it' configured for another device, an error which I've gotten before. Nothing I've tried has fixed this. Here's what I've done:

1.) Disabled, cleared cache, and uninstalled Swype. Then, did the same for the installer.
2.) Found the original email invite for the beta and used that to download the installer.
3.) Installed the installer, then downloaded and installed Swype, but the "Enable Swype" screen never came up.
4.) Enabled Swype through the settings screen.

I also noticed that I always get the "Swype is already installed" error whenever I run the installer.

Any ideas?

You have 6 pages of "ideas", how I "did it", and I don't "know how I did it", and it just "started to work". Six pages and no real answer.
As for me, it was working till the new update came out and now it doesn't. Plain and simple.
I like Swype or I wouldn't keep trying to get it to work but if they can't fix ....fine.
I'll use something else.I don't want to, but this has been going on for awhile with no solution.

etlunatic
11-25-2010, 8:01 PM
Hi,

I have a HTC Magic 32B.

I moved from the official SFR 1.6 ROM to Cyanogen 6.0 two weeks ago.

Swype was working great on the official SFR 1.6 ROM.

I installed (too) many times Swype on Cyanogen 6.0. to no avail. I can activate the Swype keyboard but I cannot swipe.

I have two questions:

1) Is it possible, when I registered for the beta, your system has set in stone the make and ROM version of my phone? If yes, how could I reset this?

2) As far as I remember, the last step of the install is the downloading of Swype dictionary, so is there a way I could install manually the Swype dictionary?

Thx and regards

rob.boehm
11-27-2010, 8:46 PM
@etlunatic This error, along with the ID Mismatch Error is currently being caused by an unresolved error that will require a patch to fix. We're currently working on rolling this out to everybody. The holiday has delayed everything, but it shouldn't be much longer.

sjpagano
11-28-2010, 2:09 PM
I figured I may as well provide a bit more info.

Phone: SPH-M900
Carrier: Sprint

Previously was on DI04, Android 2.1, and the September Swype Package

I upgraded today to DJ07, Android 2.1, and the November Swype Package.

I've tried to reinstall, force close, etc, etc...nothing.

"The Swype package you installed is configured...."

spiff72
12-01-2010, 8:38 AM
Is there any update to this issue? I still can't get Swype installed on my Droid with CM6.1RC5. I can get to the "Done" button, but then I get the package error that everyone else is describing.

Thanks!

sjpagano
12-01-2010, 1:51 PM
I was able to get the package to work finally, and it has worked perfectly for the past few days.

Steps I took:

- Uninstalled the non-functional Swype
- Run the "Swype Downloader", reacquire the 10MB file
- Reinstalled....and it worked.

I realize this isn't the most helpful thing, but it worked.

On a side note. Functionality is greatly improved over the Sept release. The "tutorial" pop-up has yet to appear when swyping (why can't this be completely disabled anyway?).

eeenek
12-01-2010, 4:53 PM
I spent the last 2 hours installing swype about 10 different times... each time getting all the different errors being reported in this thread. It finally worked and I think the thing that finally worked was killing every single running application after uninstall swype.

sjpagano
12-01-2010, 4:57 PM
Because I don't want to lose my working Swype, I kind of don't want to mess with it. However, if it doesn't install, I'm wondering if clearing the phones dalvik cache and rebooting would solve this.

Edit...

Just thinking about it. I really don't understand Swype's method of "Registering" the phone. Why can't the package just be unlocked completely and linked to that specific phone (ESID) once the phone is correctly identified, otherwise it shouldn't even install in the first place. Then if someone attempts to pull the apk, it would automatically detect the wrong ESID and revert back into touch-mode or demo or something.

gregmr
12-02-2010, 12:07 PM
I have found that the Swype package on my HTC Incredible will stop working after functioning normally for weeks/months. Upon researching the issue, I have found that it is caused by the MEID not being reported properly in the OS and showing "Not available." The MEID is used to register the Swype installer with your device. Restarting the phone in an area without cell coverage or when in Airplane Mode causes this issue.

The following steps will correct this issue assuming the Swype package was working previously:

1.) Find an area of good cell coverage from your carrier.
2.) Activate your factory keyboard or a keyboard other than Swype
3.) Power off your phone
4.) Power on your phone
5.) Verify your MEID under Settings > About Phone > Phone identity
6.) Re-enable your Swype keyboard

Needless to say this is very annoying if you happen to restart your phone in an area without good cell reception or when required to use Airplane mode and should be addressed in the next bug fix.

sjpagano
12-02-2010, 1:58 PM
This seems to make sense. I just found my task killer was knocking out my "phone", probably happened when I went to use Swype.

tjs620
12-02-2010, 2:47 PM
Because I don't want to lose my working Swype, I kind of don't want to mess with it. However, if it doesn't install, I'm wondering if clearing the phones dalvik cache and rebooting would solve this.

Edit...

Just thinking about it. I really don't understand Swype's method of "Registering" the phone. Why can't the package just be unlocked completely and linked to that specific phone (ESID) once the phone is correctly identified, otherwise it shouldn't even install in the first place. Then if someone attempts to pull the apk, it would automatically detect the wrong ESID and revert back into touch-mode or demo or something.

Tried it........ No

jmoddes
12-04-2010, 8:48 AM
Okay mr Admin.

I shut my phone off, turn it back on and swype doesn't work, doesn't give me that error message, doesn't do anything. So I think to myself, oh good, another upgrade. I uninstalled swype and then went to go reinstall it. I go to swype installer and there is an upgrade for it so i upgrade it and hit DONE after its upgraded then i go to login but OF COURSE! "This device is already associated with another account. please visit the "troubleshooting" section at forum.swype.com for help. Now i can't even get swype back on here. :mad:

I'm not trying to down you guys because you are just the group that helps people fix things, but what the HELL are your developers and updating team thinking? Are they located in Cali. and smokin' 10 pounds of weed while doing this because this is the 4th time since i've had beta that this garbage happened! :mad::mad: Please help me fix this issue and try and help me understand why the hell swype beta is so complicated.

Thank you

-Jordan :)

siouxtupa
12-07-2010, 10:52 AM
I installed the new beta today and it went extremely well. I removed the old version first then rebooted. Then, I just ran the Swype Installer (no closing everything running, rebooting, etc.) and followed the instructions. It went smooth as silk.

Droid Eris
Verizon
Nonsensikal 13.2 (FROYO)

Great work! :D

kotton
12-09-2010, 3:13 AM

I do all that but the "Enable Swype" window never appears.
I did just get a window saying ATTENTION Swype is not properly licenced. I select Android keyboard, select Swype, but the window stays open and Swype can only be uses as a tap keyboard. I get an error sound when I try to Swype a word.

brian.resnik
12-09-2010, 8:23 AM
kotton: those instructions are a bit out of date as we've since updated the installer.

What I'd like you to do is run the installer again, WITHOUT uninstalling Swype first.. Take it as far as it will go, following the instructions it gives you. If it still doesn't work, reboot your device and try again. If you still have problems after all that let me know and we'll see what we can do for you.

kotton
12-10-2010, 3:15 AM
kotton: those instructions are a bit out of date as we've since updated the installer.

What I'd like you to do is run the installer again, WITHOUT uninstalling Swype first.. Take it as far as it will go, following the instructions it gives you. If it still doesn't work, reboot your device and try again. If you still have problems after all that let me know and we'll see what we can do for you.

Ok I tried that. It tells me to disable swype then hit the back button to generate a new license, but after I disable it and hit back I am at the same thing, it won't go to the generate new license.

kotton
12-10-2010, 3:16 AM

Ok I tried that. It tells me to disable swype then hit the back button to generate a new license, but after I disable it and hit back I am at the same thing, it won't go to the generate new license.

imwatchdog
12-10-2010, 6:19 AM
Was getting the configured for another device message. Did the uninstall - reinstall per the forum. All is right with the world now. Or swype at least. Got a system (Android) update this morining too. Don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. But, like I said, its all good now. Thanks everyone.

MiteshPC
12-11-2010, 12:30 AM
Got the same message and the fix of clearing data, uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling worked for me too. Now my Motorola Quench XT3 with CynogenMod 6.1 is detected as Unknown Device on the Swype Beta.

"The Swype package you installed is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality. Please contact Swype about this issue."

Same error message here. Droid 1, upgrading from a previous version of the Swype Beta. I've gotten that SAME ERROR with every upgrade, so I guess it doesn't surprise me that this one is broken, too.

Fix seems to usually be to Clear Data, uninstall Swype, Uninstall Swype Installer, REBOOT, install swype installer, install swype.

Griffy
12-13-2010, 8:18 PM
I'm having a similar problem to everyone on this thread but I can't figure out a way around it...

I'm using two phones until xmas (one is my old HTC Magic and the other is my very new HTC Desire HD). I'm keeping the Desire HD hidden from my girlfriend cos if she sees it she may realise I've gotten her a phone for xmas. So in the morning after I leave the house I take my SIM card out of the Magic and put it in the Desire HD and leave it there until I go home.

When I first got my Swype account activated I installed Swype on the Desire HD, and then I tried to do the same on the Magic. I got the same error as everyone else here, and promptly uninstalled Swype totally from the Magic.

Now it seems that each time I re-insert the SIM card into the Desire HD (after having it in the Magic, OR just taking it out of the Desire HD and re-inserting it), and turning the Desire HD back on, I cannot use Swype as it's meant to be used (stuck on single button typing). To get it working again I have to perform a data clear, uninstall, and reboot, to both Swype and Swype Installer, then re-install, re-download, etc... This is very tedious!

I am prepared to use any other crappy keyboard on the Magic up until xmas, and then I can forget about it and use JUST the Desire HD with Swype. But in the meantime this is a huge waste of time as a solution fix.

Can anyone recommend anything else? I'd rather not go without Swype phone until xmas.

Griffy
12-22-2010, 3:30 PM
Bump bump!

No replies yet? :(

I am beginning to suspect that maybe my phone is at fault, as sometimes (not all times) I re-insert my SIM card into the Desire HD I am prompted to confirm the time zone. Why would my phone forget the time?

Suggestions, anyone?

aujbman
12-22-2010, 3:50 PM
I am having the same problem. Nexus One. Running the latest MIUI ROM. The installer never gets to the point where it asks me to activate Swype. I have tried all the steps mentioned and nothing works. Might need to have an installer that is compatible with MIUI.

Edit. Ok, I got the point where it told me to choose Android Keyboard and then disable swype. But MIUI does not have a checkbox to disable swype so it won't go to the next step to generate a new license...

mdroid28
12-23-2010, 12:55 PM
I was getting to the point where it was "licensing Swype", then it would say it wasn't licensed, then it would say to login to generate license. Well when I would login, nothing happened. So reboot, run the installer again without clearing any data or uninstalling Swype, and sure enough it works this time. You just have to find the "magical" combination that works for your phone with the correct number of reboots, data wipes, uninstalls..etc.

Three days and three separate errors later it's INSTALLED. Let's hope the application actually works better than the install procedure. Beta my eye...they're lucky Swype is so awesome putting this out in this condition.

chendog
12-23-2010, 4:30 PM
I have been using the latest swype since a few weeks ago, but today when I try to use it, I cannot swype! the whole edge of keyboard will blink and will only let me touch type single letters and it tell me this: "The Swype package you installed is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality. Please contact Swype about this issue."
I tried to run the installer, nothing came up, it tell me swype is fully licensed, so I cleared data for swype and re-licensed, but I still cannot swype and still get the above message. I tried uninstalling swype, still the same thing, is there anything else I can do??

Griffy
12-24-2010, 3:27 AM
Ok, I just discovered that Swype stops working for me when I reboot my phone, NOT just when I reinsert the SIM card. Can ANYONE please help me?

hpjunglecat
12-25-2010, 2:15 AM
So I finally fixed mine!

HTC Incredible

After a couple of re-installs, clearing the app and installer and uninstalling both, AND rebooting phone.... and then re-installing, I finally got my Swype back. Thanks to all for helping out us noobs... I love my HTC Incredible and am definitely hooked on Swype... Wasn't looking forward to going back to the tap tap... :(

Thanks, again.

HTC Incredible.

dellybelly
12-25-2010, 9:13 PM
ok, heres what worked for me just today;

I removed all swype instances (Force close > Clear data) on both Swype and Swype installer.

Rebooted
Downloaded swype installer
Downloaded the swype beta 2.5meg download
Went through license screen and then selected "finish"
Opened up my SMS messenger
Tried to swype (didn't work)
Rebooted (Without disabling swype or doing anything else)
Opened up my SMS messenger and Swype was then working

Griffy
12-26-2010, 5:00 PM
Hi dellybelly. You must have also enabled and selected Swype after the license screen and before you selected "finish", right? I just tried what you did and there's no way to use Swype unless you enable it. You can press back and manually enable and select Swype yourself from Settings > Language & Keyboard (as opposed to doing it from within the Swype Installer).

I've said this before but ... The problem I'm having is Swype disables EVERY time I reboot the phone. I'm getting really frustrated with it and I REALLY want to use Swype, but if it's not going to stay enabled when I restart my phone, WTF am I supposed to do? I am not prepared to do a clean uninstall and re-install after every restart. That would be ridiculous.

I've been in touch with one of the Swype people over Twitter, but no one official has offered a solution to me. Hence my frustration and anger.

Esapple
12-26-2010, 8:04 PM
professional.
Which is what I really need right now.THANK U~~

brian.resnik
12-27-2010, 1:28 PM
Hi dellybelly. You must have also enabled and selected Swype after the license screen and before you selected "finish", right? I just tried what you did and there's no way to use Swype unless you enable it. You can press back and manually enable and select Swype yourself from Settings > Language & Keyboard (as opposed to doing it from within the Swype Installer).

I've said this before but ... The problem I'm having is Swype disables EVERY time I reboot the phone. I'm getting really frustrated with it and I REALLY want to use Swype, but if it's not going to stay enabled when I restart my phone, WTF am I supposed to do? I am not prepared to do a clean uninstall and re-install after every restart. That would be ridiculous.

I've been in touch with one of the Swype people over Twitter, but no one official has offered a solution to me. Hence my frustration and anger.

Hey Griffy,

Unfortunately this is a known issue with the Droid Incredible and there's not much Swype can do about it on our end. The issue is that the ESN# of the device isn't loaded into system memory at the time the IME is being loaded. This issue is specific to the Droid Incredible hardware.

The only available workaround at this time is to switch your input method to the Android Keyboard, then back to Swype after each reboot. You don't need to fully reinstall, just switch to the Android VK then back to Swype. This should work to reload the license, with the system ESN properly loaded in memory.

Griffy
12-27-2010, 2:18 PM
Hi Brian,

Oh cool, that sounds like a much better work around than doing a full / clean uninstall, reboot and re-install! I'll give that a whirl next time I have to reboot.

Oh and also, I'm using a HTC Desire HD, not a Droid Incredible.

smoonyheim
12-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Phone: HTC Droid Incredible with SLCD Screen.
Rooted: Yes
ROM: MIUI
Android: 2.2 froyo
APP2SD: NOPE

So I'll install the swype installer, get to the login, login successfully download swype, install swype, get to licensing, it'll say it's completed. Upon trying to use swype i get the swype package configured error.

From reading I'm seeing it's because miui doesn't give you the screen to enable swype. But regardless it's frustrating and was hoping to chime in and see if i could help and to express another case of the error.

Thanks for the help from both you devs and moderators here, swype's awesome! MIUI is nice though too, so hopefully both will work nicely together ;)

Griffy
12-27-2010, 10:55 PM
smoonyheim, are you able to enable and select Swype manually?

smoonyheim
12-28-2010, 4:09 PM
swype is on the phone and i can select it using input method in a text field.

I'm getting the error though.

I think it's cause after installing I don't get to the point where I can go into keyboards and stuff and physically enable using the selection dot thingy on normal android.

I know it's MIUI's fault. I was just hoping swype would work since i'm digging MIUI so much.

d3dhook
12-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Using smoonyhelm's post as a template:

* Device Make/Model: Droid 1
* Android Version: 2.2.1
* ROM Version: Cyanogen 6.1.0-Droid
* Full text of the error message you are receiving: FC on Swype Installer followed by "The Swype package you installed is configured for another device..." from Swype when attempting typing.
* What troubleshooting steps have you completed so far?: See EDIT.
* Are you a ROOT user?: Yes

Swype installer downloads, runs, installs swype, but upon selecting "Done" on the Swype installation screen, "Swype Installer" force closes. I can manually enable swype in the settings and set it to be an input when typing. When an attempt is made to type, swype displays the message in the title of this thread and only registers individually tapped keys, not swipes.

My favorite keyboard is swype and I've used it since I got my phone, I hope I'm doing something dumb and a fix is fast. I'll monitor this thread.

EDIT: Forgot to mention what I've tried.

Force stop Swype, clear data, uninstall.
Force stop Swype Installer, clear data, uninstall.
Delete all downloads of Swype installer on SDCard/Phone.
Redownload Swype Installer and attempt install of Swype (10MB).
Crash message received, app acts as mentioned above.
Repeat.

Thanks for an awesome product, gents.

shameless
12-29-2010, 2:42 PM
I just ran into this problem while restarting my phone after recent plane trips.
The first time it happened, I finally got things ironed out by uninstalling, rebooting, and restarting. It happened again today, though, and I don't like the thought that I'm going to have to reinstall Swype every time I restart my phone, so I'm looking for another solution.
I'm having no trouble with the installer -- the app installs correctly. I get the blue border the first time I try to swype after restarting. Then I unselect/reselect Swype as the keyboard, and then I get the "configured for another device" error the next time I try to swype.

* Device Make/Model: Droid Incredible
* Android Version: 2.2
* ROM Version: stock
* Full text of the error message you are receiving: "The Swype package you installed is configured for another device..." from Swype when attempting typing.
* What troubleshooting steps have you completed so far?: Uninstall, reboot, reinstall.
* Are you a ROOT user?: No

rob.boehm
12-29-2010, 7:17 PM
d3dhook and shameless, you guys may be taking your troubleshooting a bit too extreme. Both are licensing issues and the installer should be able to pick up on that are repair everything by simply running it again. (No need to uninstall, clear data, etc... anymore)

If this doesn't work please download SendLog from the market and run it immediately after the error comes up. Paste a copy of the logs to PasteBin and post a link to it here.
Instructions: http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?993-KNOWN-BETA-for-Android-ISSUES-Please-read-before-posting-(UPDATE-12-7-10)#LOGCAT

Ricardo Pais
01-02-2011, 1:23 PM
Hello!

* Device Make/Model: Archos 70
* Wireless Carrier: ---
* Android Version: 2.2
* Are you using APPS2SD? ????
* Full text of the error message you are receiving: "The Swype package you installed is configured for another device..." from 1st Swype when attempting typing. And Blue screen if I even try to use the tutorial...
* What troubleshooting steps have you completed so far?: Uninstall, reboot, reinstall. Do everything I read on the forum...

I keep getting this "bug" over and over...
The message only shows up on the first use after the install, so I don't know what to do with the sendlog, wich I have already instaled...

Help? :P

brian.resnik
01-03-2011, 7:35 PM
Hello!

* Device Make/Model: Archos 70

The Swype beta won't work on tablets that do not have a cellular plan. Currently, to perform licensing, we require a valid ESN# (IMEI or MEID) which these tablets don't have.

Griffy
01-03-2011, 8:35 PM
I assume that applies to The Samsung Galaxy S Player and the soon-to-be-released Cowon D3, yeah? Neither have phone capabilities, tho the D3 is rumoured to have VoIP.

Jolest
01-20-2011, 3:41 PM
The Swype beta won't work on tablets that do not have a cellular plan. Currently, to perform licensing, we require a valid ESN# (IMEI or MEID) which these tablets don't have.

Have you considered using the WiFi NIC id?

kroneny
02-08-2011, 8:41 PM
I ran into this issue as well. Uninstalled Swype and dowloaded beta (10M version) anew. It accepted my logon credentials to get the installer apk and then it also downloaded the larger package and installed succesfully. However, it then told me it needs to generate liscense file and asked me to login again. Provided smae credentials that worked before but nothing happens (don't get a "bad password" or any error. Just press "Login", see quick "logging in" message for a second and then nothing happens). I go back to keyboard settings and enable Swype there. Sure enough I still have the error.

As additional note, this started happening when I got my wife a mytouch 4g that comes with swype. Hers is fine. Could it somehow be that becasue her phone\plan is under me or because we share some accounts for gmail and such that swype feels my beta liscense is no longer good?

Please help - I liked using swype....

brian.resnik
02-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Have you considered using the WiFi NIC id?

This poses its own set of problems. MAC address spoofing, for example. Also, we know of at least one device on the market where the manufacturer accidentally set it up so that every single device has the same MAC. Yeah, you read that right. :\

Please help - I liked using swype....

We made some changes to the installer and licensing servers yesterday that may have been effecting your ability to license your device. Please try again, and if you continue to have problems, follow the instructions for submitting debugging logs, as described in the "POSTING GUIDELINES" thread at the top of the Bug Reports forum.

kroneny
02-09-2011, 9:53 PM
Looks like the changes to installer\servers did the trick for me - thanks!

gsartin
03-24-2011, 3:21 PM
:( I have tried wiping data and uninstalling Swype and the installer. It still looks like it installs fine. I have been sure to wait on the Enable popup, but still will not Swype. It does beep nicely after a swype action is complete, but no word?

rob.boehm
03-27-2011, 5:20 PM
The Archos 101 IT has no Cellular radio. Currently we use the Electronic Serial Number (ESN) on the cellular radio to authenticate the Swype install. Because of this, for the moment Swype Beta is currently not available for you device. Sorry :(

daveqp
05-24-2011, 9:12 AM

This does not resolve the problem on the HTC Flyer. I have a brand new Flyer and I installed Swype correctly. (I've done it on other Android phone many times.) The Swype installer says the product is licensed, but when I try to type I get the flashing blue border and no swiping.

I uninstalled and reinstalled several times, and each time the license file is generated, but Swype still refuses to work.

Time to move to Slide-IT?

daveqp
05-24-2011, 9:18 AM

Then why don't you specify that up front and also have the installer check/report that? The installer reports that Swype IS licensed. That's wrong. I just spent 2 hours on this issue and I had to read several threads and find post #96 in one of them to find this info. Shouldn't this be in a sticky post?

I am moving to Slide-IT and I hope to never deal with Swype again. Your product is good but your licensing policies suck.

wildchild
05-24-2011, 3:16 PM
I have an HTC Thunderbolt, and after the battery died today and recharging it and turning it back on, Swype wouldn't work. Long-pressing in a text field to change the input method wouldn't work, because that option wouldn't even present itself. Going through the language and keyboard settings to do a Swype tutorial wasn't an option because it started giving me an error message saying that the Swype package installed was configured to another device, and that it would operate with limited functionality and to contact Swype. I've always had the known SMS issue, but up until today it had worked fine. What can I do?

GuardianZX9
05-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Similar issues with my HTC Flyer

* Device Make/Model: HTC Flyer Tablet WiFi Only
* Wireless Carrier: N/A
* Android Version: 2..3.
* Full text of the error message you are receiving: "The Swype package you installed is configured for another device..." from Swype when attempting typing.
* What troubleshooting steps have you completed so far?: Uninstall, reboot, reinstall.

manhattanmarg
05-28-2011, 4:33 PM
Then why don't you specify that up front and also have the installer check/report that? The installer reports that Swype IS licensed. That's wrong. I just spent 2 hours on this issue and I had to read several threads and find post #96 in one of them to find this info. Shouldn't this be in a sticky post?

I am moving to Slide-IT and I hope to never deal with Swype again. Your product is good but ...

same here - everything went fine with the installation - I did see a button for licensing, but didn't press it, just pressed "done" and then found out that I could Swype, but no text showed up - so, sorry that you wasted 2 hrs on it - I guess I'll have to try Slide-IT as well, because I'm seriously in love with my Flyer. hope this will get sorted out, because I loved Swyping in the past.

GuardianZX9
05-31-2011, 5:14 AM
Just discovered that the Flyer has a Swype style keyboard built in, this negates the need for swype, my only complaint is that it doesnt work in every app, I am looking for an answer from HTC to see if they can enable it system wide.

You can enable it from the Keyboard Settings paned under Touch Input, Trace Keyboard, enable Trace Prediction.

I will post if I get any feedback from HTC.

G

nxtwrld
06-14-2011, 2:03 AM
My Flyer is rejected when trying to download Swype beta, as a non android device. The native HTC style "swyping" is still mile away from Swype accuracy. :(

woodiah
09-10-2011, 9:29 PM
My Flyer is rejected when trying to download Swype beta, as a non android device. The native HTC style "swyping" is still mile away from Swype accuracy. :(

Did you get it downloaded? If not, go to your browser setting and ensure it is forcing mobile view - Then go back to the download website. You shouldn't get the "non Android device" message, and be able to download.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512