PDA

View Full Version : Error with new Swype Beta on Droid Incredible - PLEASE HELP!!!

Matteo
11-11-2010, 1:59 PM
The Swype package you installed is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality. Please contact Swype about this issue.

thrillerbee
11-11-2010, 2:18 PM
ditto for me on a Droid Incredible... this happens every time a new beta is released.
Do I need to go through the process of contacting Swype & having everything reset every time there's an update?

Mr. Spontaneous
11-11-2010, 2:22 PM
I'm getting this too on my Droid Incredible running CM6.1-rc2. I was able to install the previous version of Swype without a hitch early last week.

flashburn
11-11-2010, 2:24 PM
The same thing is happening to me!!!! I love me some swype but this is crazy every time a new beta is sent out.

scrapez
11-11-2010, 2:31 PM
Same issue for me on a regular Droid. I've never had this issue with previous Swype betas.

Followed the sticky advice above of uninstalling everything, I have no task killers installed. Really frustrating.

bonafide
11-11-2010, 2:36 PM
I'm having the same problem on my HTC Evo. I never had this problem with any of the previous updates. Please help! I can't take going back to a regular keyboard. :(

bp88ma
11-11-2010, 2:42 PM
Issue Resolved on my Droid Incredible by doing the following: Clear Data for Swype Installer, uninstall swype installer, clear data for swype, uninstall swype, reboot phone, download installer, install installer, run installer, install swype, enable swype in keyboard, etc.... and it works now. Think key part is the reboot.

xguntherc
11-11-2010, 2:44 PM
same issue for me on my Nexus One. it's the only phone I've registered. yet the beta says it's configured for another device.

The last Beta that was released worked for a few months, and then I uninstalled it at one point and reinstalled after using SwiftKey.. and Swype has NEVER worked since for me. This beta I get the same error as the last. Not cool..

scrapez
11-11-2010, 2:45 PM
@bp88ma I've done all of those steps in that order except for the clearing of data on the Swype Installer. I am trying it now and will post results.

bp88ma's workaround did not work for me. Still receiving the same error message.

xguntherc
11-11-2010, 2:47 PM
I'm going try this one more time before I give up.. Since this is the second version that's still got my same problem.

Clear Cache and Data, installation of both the Installer, and the actual App.. I'm also going to uninstall my Task Manager.. Reboot device, reboot again into recovery and clear Cache and Dalvik Cache (''m rooted) then I will try the entire process again.. Wish me luck

GldRush98
11-11-2010, 2:54 PM
ditto for me on a Droid Incredible... this happens every time a new beta is released.
Do I need to go through the process of contacting Swype & having everything reset every time there's an update?

Do be fair, this is something unique to certain handsets. I have gone through 3 Swype beta versions across 3 different versions of Android (2.1, 2.2, and 2.2.1), and I have never had this issue.

MrObvious
11-11-2010, 2:57 PM
I found that is a problem with the installer and you have to do the hideously long and retarded steps above (plus Dalvik cache if you can) just to get it to work but it's worth it.

brian.resnik
11-11-2010, 3:01 PM
Hey everyone,

This is an issue with our licensing server. It's struggling to keep up with the heavy traffic. Please keep trying throughout the rest of the day, and we'll start looking into individual cases once the traffic has calmed down later tonight.

For the record "Configured for another device" is NOT a device association error. This error indicates a failure to load the license file.

Also make sure that after you click the "done" button for the Swype installation, you wait for the "Enable Swype" window to appear. DO NOT press the back button while the "Start Download" button is there, as it will cancel the license generation.

P.S. The "Clear Data" procedure is only required in VERY rare cases, now that we have the new installer. It's always good to clear data before installing in general, but those steps are now only necessary when you've received the "Swype is already installed" error.

scrapez
11-11-2010, 3:10 PM
Hey everyone,

This is an issue with our licensing server. It's struggling to keep up with the heavy traffic. Please keep trying throughout the rest of the day, and we'll start looking into individual cases once the traffic has calmed down later tonight.

For the record "Configured for another device" is NOT a device association error. This error indicates a failure to load the license file.

Also make sure that after you click the "done" button for the Swype installation, you wait for the "Enable Swype" window to appear. DO NOT press the back button while the "Start Download" button is there, as it will cancel the license generation.

P.S. The "Clear Data" procedure is only required in VERY rare cases, now that we have the new installer. It's always good to clear data before installing in general, but those steps are now only necessary when you've received the "Swype is already installed" error.

Thank you very much! I wasn't waiting for the "Enable Swype" window to appear which is why I was having a problem. Re-installed and waited for the window and it works great.

bonafide
11-11-2010, 3:11 PM
I don't think I was waiting for the "Enable Swype" window to appear either, which hopefully was the cause of my problems. Trying to re-download Swype, but it's taking forever. Must be a lot of people trying it now.

xguntherc
11-11-2010, 3:16 PM
GUYS.. it WORKED... finally after months of no Swype. I'm not sure if they fixed the issue in this build and I just had a license issue cuz the heavy traffic as Brian said, or if what I did fixed it. I've had the Swype is Configured for another device error for a LONG time. I've tried everything under the sun. No luck.

This is what I just did. I Cleared Cache & Data and uninstalled Swype, Then cleared cache and data and uninstalled the Installer. I then went into a file manager and deleted the installer (any any old installers) from my downloads or anywhere on my phone. Then I rebooted my phone. Then after reboot I rebooted again into Recovery. I'm using clockwork Recovery. I cleared the Cache and Dalvik Cache Both (these clear out remnants of app's and other system settings and files. Since Swype is a system file. it probably leaves things behind on uninstall. Even though reboot usually clears that. I wiped Cache and Dalvik Cache in Recovery.

I then booted up my phone. Let it sit for about 10 minutes (Never tried this before) let everything load and boot, and sync, and emails check.. so everything is done and Swype doesn't get killed by Android's Built in memory manager as other things try starting. I then uninstalled my Task Manager. TasKiller. Waited a few more minutes.
Then I went back to Swype email. Downloaded Latest installer, installed. then I downloaded the new Swype. but when you get the notice to "Install" I waited a few more minutes in case there was any apps going in the background. As Swype has had a problem with Android's built in Memory Management and Multitasking system killing the app after install, before it registers for the beta license. So when I got to the install page a waited a few minutes. Installed and it works this time. First time in over 2 months.

Not sure if this long post will help anyone, but I had basically given up hope for Swype til just now. and now it's working.. excellent.

bonafide
11-11-2010, 3:20 PM
Alright, now that I waited for the "Enable Swype" box to appear, it's working. That must've been the problem. Thanks for your help.

shakuyi
11-11-2010, 3:58 PM
confirmed this is now working! there was probably a longer than usual delay for the enable swype popup to appear.....thank you!

MrObvious
11-11-2010, 6:54 PM
Basically it's the licensing step that's really important (after it installs, it creates a license key file) and if the server is overloaded (like it usually is after a beta release) or you push the back key before it installs, you're screwed and gotta start over.

DenverRalphy
11-11-2010, 9:43 PM
Oddly enough, earlier this morning when I installed the newest Swype beta, after clicking Done I saw that I was back to the Start Download screen of the installer. I however, did indeed hit the Back Button to back out of it, and the moment I did I saw the "Enable Swype" button pop up just before the app closed. However the app installed just fine. No errors. All I had to do was go into options and enable it myself. No licensing issues with the interrupted install.

comftable
11-18-2010, 3:12 PM
I'm having the same problem with my Incredible. I chose the option to reset my phone info in order to install the latest beta, but now its giving me the message the original poster on this thread entered.

slinkybrew
12-10-2010, 10:09 PM
I got an email today from the beta team with Swype giving me a link to download and install the new beta.
Problem is, when I click the link, I am taken to a screen that says Swype Beta for Android - We've activated your Swype Beta Account.
I go down to the "how do I install" and click the link to "Download the new swype installer & beta here' I click that link, and am immediately taken to a new page that says SORRY THIS IS NOT AN ANDROID PHONE! " Sorry, you're not on an android phone so you cannot download the Swype Installer. To download the Swype-Installer, on your android phone, bring up the email we sent you and click the link again" " the swype team"

So... I am ON a droid incredible. How can it tell me I am not on an android phone ? How can I install this ?

vgrinber
12-12-2010, 7:05 PM
Hi,

I'm getting the blue box with a beep on my new Droid Incredible when i try to swype. I dont get any text. (I did not have swype before - just got added to the beta). I have gone through the basic trouble shooting steps but it does not seem to work. On several of my reinstallation attemps i got the "this version configured for another device message." Additionally I have used the swype install app to regenerate the license, and i have requested the latest version of swype link to be resent.

Device Make/Model - HTC Droid Incredible
Wireless Carrier - Verizon
Android Version - Froyo 2.2
ROM Version - Stock
Are you using APPS2SD? No
Full text of the error message you are receiving (if you are not receiving an error, describe the problem in as much detail as possible) see above + log:
http://pastebin.com/LKRbu9C0

What troubleshooting steps have you completed so far? The basic trouble shooting steps plus suggestions from forum posts.
Are you a ROOT user? (If you don't know what this means then the answer is "no") No

DonCorneo
12-13-2010, 6:41 PM
I got an email today from the beta team with Swype giving me a link to download and install the new beta.
Problem is, when I click the link, I am taken to a screen that says Swype Beta for Android - We've activated your Swype Beta Account.
I go down to the "how do I install" and click the link to "Download the new swype installer & beta here' I click that link, and am immediately taken to a new page that says SORRY THIS IS NOT AN ANDROID PHONE! " Sorry, you're not on an android phone so you cannot download the Swype Installer. To download the Swype-Installer, on your android phone, bring up the email we sent you and click the link again" " the swype team"

So... I am ON a droid incredible. How can it tell me I am not on an android phone ? How can I install this ?

Most often this issue is because you are not using the built-in Android browser in mobile mode.