PDA

View Full Version : Option to save and restore settings (including custom dirctionary)

borisb13
11-07-2010, 1:25 AM
I'm an Android developer, and I frequently install different ROM's on my phone. I also very often need to do factory resets. And every time this happens, I have to reinstall Swype from scratch, and I lose all my saved settings, and more importantly -- the custom dictionary. I think it would be of great help to everyone if there was an option added to the settings screen to save the user data to the SD card, and to restore it from there.

Thanks.

rob.boehm
11-07-2010, 5:32 PM
Personally I'd like to see this information eventually stored on a cloud. Not only does this reduce the burden on subsequent reinstalls on your device, but could also synchronize dictionary and other settings across multiple devices. I'm sure with you being a developer you've already gotten your hands on a few devices. With Swype now starting to show up on tablets it's very possible for the average consumer to have a few Swype devices. Not to mention this also provides an incentive against piracy if the customer can login and sync to a server.

Perhaps saving to SD can be a stepping stone to a platform like that, but in any event this is definitely functionality we're looking into.

Adevem
11-08-2010, 7:33 AM
Yes please. I'm a serial ROM flasher and intergrating some kind of restore/backup function somehow will be excellent. Start with backing up to SDcard as Robert has said.

borisb13
11-09-2010, 1:24 AM
Thanks, and I hope I could see it soon in one of the next betas.

admanb
03-04-2011, 10:34 AM
+1 for Swype dictionary backup/restore in the cloud (or I'd even settle for on the SD card initially)

Jackson Li LiangYao
04-25-2011, 4:52 AM
Perhaps swype could consider collecting locale-specific custom dictionaries and allow downloads.

I.e. many words are used by ppl from the same country, and if they voluntarily submitted theirs, some algorithm could be made to automatically add it in if enough people have it in their custom dictionary.

e.g. in singapore, many road/place names are often used repeatedly, like Jurong, Tampines, Changi etc. or even terms like lol, ppl, tml, fyi. or slang like lah, lor, leh that is specific for the country.

this would be bringing the cloud dictionary even further, and really improve the user experience.

yurkennis
06-15-2011, 2:55 PM
Found three threads on the subject, but no response from Swype team there.
Maybe Brian can help?

Other threads:
http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?1726-User-Dictionary-backup&highlight=backup+dictionary
http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?1249-backup-dictionary&highlight=backup+dictionary