PDA

View Full Version : Option for Default Numeric Keypad

jjayxxxx
10-29-2010, 9:10 AM
I am often entering numbers in a spreadsheet (either DocsToGo or QuickOffice) and it would be nice to have a setting so that the number keypad is the default keyboard. It could either be a 'setting' within Swype that is changed, e.g. a choice between NormalMode and DefaultNumericMode.

Or perhaps even better would be the option of having Swype presented as two different types of "Input method" choices when long-pressing on a text area: the normal "Swype (Normal)" and also a "Swype (Numeric)" or some such.

Whatever the case, I currently have to switch to the numeric keypad prior to every single cell entry. A single global setting would be very nice.

steve40509
11-16-2010, 4:20 PM
When you switch to the number pad, it should bring up the number pad until you choose to switch back to the standard keypad. It is very frustrating to use swype with a spreadsheet.

However for text input swype is fantastic. I love it.

Ligchris
12-16-2010, 6:35 AM
I think DocsToGo should be able to tell Swype to switch to the numeric keypad,
e.g. based on the number-formatting of the cell:
- if the current cell is formatted to display its contents as a number, then Swype would display the numeric keypad.
- if the current cell is formatted to display its contents as text, then Swype would display the standard keypad.

I have seen this behavior in combinations of Swype with other apps; e.g. "Expense Manager" and the standard Android app "Contacts": while Swype is open, if the user switches between entry fields, Swype displays the correct keypad: numeric if it's a numeric field, standard if it's a text field. It must be ExpenseMgr or Contacts that tells Swype which keypad to display. I'm sure there are other apps that support this behavior.
However, DataViz (DocsToGo's creator) seems to be very stubborn on this matter: according to them (http://forums.dataviz.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=648&start=10) it is standard Android behavior to display the standard keypad by default.

For the time being (i.e. as long as DocsToGo does not tell Swype which keypad to display) the behaviour as described in previous posts would be a good alternative.

litehouse
11-05-2012, 9:08 AM
Maybe because Doc To Go, Dataviz is owned by RIM that they are trying to make it not so convenient for Android. I have other problems posted.