PDA

View Full Version : Editable Dictionary

JOe K.
10-25-2010, 7:57 AM
Random (and for some reason undeletable) words are rendering this amazing feature useless as the dictionary gets populated with more crap ("ia" instead of "is" come on).

Please implement an editable dictionary. The current removal of words is cumbersome and inconsistent.

I'm sure this has been suggested a 1000 times before so I'd assume you'd be attempting to implement it, so is there an ETA?

Thanks,
JOe K.

rob.boehm
10-25-2010, 4:33 PM
Any news on beta roll-outs, features, etc... will only be release on the news forum: http://forum.swype.com/forumdisplay.php?3-Swype-Beta-Programs-News

Adevem
11-08-2010, 6:39 AM
Ye I mean, if we choose English(US) to be our Locale, then it should only be English. Pure English language. no "ia", "berti", "2mr", "tmr".

You know what I mean ;D

JNavas
12-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Random (and for some reason undeletable) words are rendering this amazing feature useless as the dictionary gets populated with more crap ("ia" instead of "is" come on).
Please implement an editable dictionary. The current removal of words is cumbersome and inconsistent.
I'm sure this has been suggested a 1000 times before ...
Amen! IMHO this is the single biggest current flaw in Swype!

tenohfive
12-11-2010, 10:10 AM
If you're talking about the ability to go through (in notepad on PC or similar) and manually remove words then I'm 100% with you on this. Removing the odd word here and there isn't what I'm looking for - I want a massive cull.

I've got so many typo's saved into the dictionary which when added to words that I just don't use mean I have a huge number of unwanted and unnecessary words in my dictionary, sitting there reducing the accuracy of Swype. If I could copy a file hidden away in the phone to the SD Card, modify it by PC then move it back across then I could massively increase the accuracy of Swype.

As a short time solution I'm thinking of reinstalling but that won't get rid of words I don't use that come installed (americanisms, for instance. We speak the queens English over here, don't you know) and ultimately it won't completely sort the issue.

sladflob
12-11-2010, 8:02 PM
I'd also like to see the ability to clean up the dictionary. It is the single most annoying feature about swype. Sometimes it autocompletes with a "bad" word I typed in error previously, then even if I press the swype button to bring up alternatives then only bad words are shown, giving me no option but to reswype, which often has the same problem.

Basically the problem is that I think words get added to the dictionary too early, in some sense... if a word is corrected by the user then the original bad one should maybe be automatically removed from the dictionary. I can see there might need to be some smarts around this logic as it's possible the word that you're correcting is still a valid dictionary word, even though it's not the one you meant to type. I realise that it's a difficult problem to fix well, but doing so would make this an even better product than it already is.

MatthewJB
12-15-2010, 2:44 AM
Permit me to add another voice in support of an editable dictionary. For the most part, Swype works flawlessly (and it's extremely forgiving of my sloppy input!), but as the comments above have noted, sometimes the 'words' that show up have me scratching my head. A "Don't show me this word again" option would be nice, but an editable text file would be fantastic.

Edit: To clarify, my issue is not the one to which 'sladflob' refers (though the solution would work for both), but the one brought up by 'JOe K.' and praised by JNavas.

WSUMike
12-16-2010, 7:43 AM
This is my biggest and only true issue with Swype. Not having the ability to remove a misspelled word from the dictionary annoys the crap out of me! I still think this is hands-down the best keyboard for Android, but please, please, please give us an editable dictionary soon!!!

ironman
12-17-2010, 4:12 AM
i had slideit, switched to swype, uninstalled swype because the dictionary/prediction was just so terrible.. you type an everday word and it's 5th on the list behind four words you've never even heard of it. slideit doesn't have this issue.. i much prefer swype, but this dictionary nonsense slows me down way too much, which defeats the purpose of using swype to save time typing.

Eagleizer
12-17-2010, 5:29 AM
I`m happy if I can remove words from the preinstalled dictionary... Please fix!

divzero
12-22-2010, 1:12 AM
Android already has a "User Dictionary" (settings --> language & keyboard --> user dictionary), where you can edit and add your custom words.

I think maybe the question is - why does Swype not make use of the generic user dictionary? Why does it have it's own proprietary, hidden user dictionary? If Swype conformed to this standard user dictionary, then there would be no outcry over inability to edit!

The menu option for "User Dictionary" exists outside of the "Android keyboard" menu tree, in the settings - which would suggest that it is meant to be global (across all input methods).

SiHaSi
12-22-2010, 4:28 AM
Can I chip in as well?

I'm starting to ger very, very, VERY frustrated with this. On one hand I have typo's that end up as the first suggestion, on the other I have all the TXT SPK and various other non-english words cropping up.

2moro,l8r etc, all came out of lazy paople using a T9 keyboard. With swype it's not necessary, so FFS take it out please!

Or if you instist on adding all this crap into the dictionary, at least let me take it back out again.

End of rant.

talyene
02-16-2011, 8:23 AM
Can I chip in as well?

I'm starting to ger very, very, VERY frustrated with this. On one hand I have typo's that end up as the first suggestion, on the other I have all the TXT SPK and various other non-english words cropping up.

2moro,l8r etc, all came out of lazy paople using a T9 keyboard. With swype it's not necessary, so FFS take it out please!

Or if you instist on adding all this crap into the dictionary, at least let me take it back out again.

End of rant.

You need to give people the option.

SMS are expensive compared to text based messaging services that rely on your data connection (e.g. email, Whatsapp, Twitter, Facebook, etc.).

Some people (myself included) are happy to use nice pros when using a medium that won't cost the Earth, but would rather use shorthand when sending an SMS.

It's not necessarily lazy, maybe more frugal.

Tal

talyene
02-16-2011, 8:24 AM

I'm sure this has been suggested a 1000 times before so I'd assume you'd be attempting to implement it, so is there an ETA?

Thanks,
JOe K.

I totally agree.

Need to be able to edit the dictionary in plain text format.

Add new words
Edit existing words
Delete existing words
Import/export your custom dictionary

All from within Swype settings (or maybe directly from the keyboard itself).

Tal

adamhighway
02-23-2011, 9:25 AM
So .... is anyone from Swype planning to answer this/ese queries?

brian.resnik
02-23-2011, 10:58 AM
I'd love to answer your questions directly, but we're actually in the middle of development for several new features related to dictionary control. When things get closer to being finished I'll be able to tell you a little bit more about what we're doing and how we're doing it. Thanks for being patient!

r4x14x2r
03-05-2011, 3:51 PM
I too would like to be able to edit and delete words from the original swype dictionary. Many times i've said to myself "no, i would never use that word, i wish it could be deleted".

Kevro_86
03-08-2011, 4:30 AM
I think Swype is awesome! I have the Beta installed on my Droid X. I am ready to scream when it swypes "cal" when I obviously meant "call"!! Why are proper names like "Weil" in there???? Or how about "wil"...which is neither a proper name OR in Webster's Dictionary!!!???!!! Both of those come up when I try to simply swype "will".:mad:

PLEASE give us the ability to delete, turn off or ignore words from the Swype dictionary that we would NEVER USE in our entire lives!!! This is the ONLY glaring deficiency of Swype that I have found. When/If they fix this, it will be practically PERFECT!!!!

Thanks!!:cool:
Kevro

JNavas
03-10-2011, 8:44 AM
I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that the Swype "BETA" for Android is a meaningless and pointless waste of my time and grief, notwithstanding assurances from the company. :mad:

The serious problem of dictionary crap has now existed for a very long time, and is only getting worse -- my Nexus One was recently updated to Gingerbread (Android 2.3.3, aka GRI40), and Swype seriously conflicts with the the new Cut & Paste capability in Gingerbread. :p

If there isn't some real progress on this issue by the end of this month (March 2011), then I will completely abandon Swype. I'm now testing SlideIT 3.0 (Demo), and it looks very promising. :cool:

kencart
03-10-2011, 10:00 AM
in addition to the editable dictionary, it would be nice if Swype would automatically put words that we tend to use more often at the top of the list, and/or if we could manually set priority on words.

juanmaper
03-10-2011, 8:43 PM
Same problem for Spanish language, lot of useless words that cant be deleted. Its going to be great to be abble to edit ALL words. Im from Argentina, and Spanish people, and all latin american people has to use the same "Spanish" language, and there are some words that are used in Spain, that here not. Same for central america, and south america. We use diferent words to say same thing, so its going to be great to edit your own diccionary.
Thanks

martincampbell
04-03-2011, 8:46 AM
Me too. I'd like to be able to bring up a full list of all the extra words I've added to the dictionary and be able to selectively delete them.

kchinger
04-04-2011, 8:51 AM
I have to agree with much of what is said here. I'd like to edit the dictionary for both reasons. A mass edit to clean out typos and stuff that I've accidentally added (or a confirm before adding new things would be nice).

But what I REALLY want is the ability to edit the original dictionary and remove all those words I've never even heard of. "Jace"? Really? I'd also like the option to remove all the "text speak" as well. I'd also LOVE the ability to tweak the algorithm so that words I use more show up more.

The example I run into the most is probably "good/God". I almost never type God(god), but I type good multiple times a day. But God always seems to beat good to the top of the list.

Other than those little nitpicks, I really love Swype.

While I'm on the subject of the algorithm, something I've dreamed of but don't really require, is a smarter algorithm that reads the sentence so far and uses that to decide what I probably meant to type. Probably difficult to program, but would be very slick if it worked well. I might never have to see the pop-up choice box ever again.

whubbard
04-05-2011, 1:02 AM
People have been asking for an editable dictionary since Swype first came out. It single handedly hampers the application over time. The Admins continuously say... oh, well there is a new beta coming out soon, why don't you go check it out... its a really annoying tease and it has to stop. I can find posts back in the beginning of 2010 with people asking for this feature.

I have both Swype and SwiftKey on my phone, and Swype is generally better. However, I'm at wits end over an editable dictionary and the next time I'm forced to clear my entire Swype data cache I'm deleting the keyboard and jumping ship. I waste more time with the complete reset than I would using SwiftKey vs. Swype.

Also, kchinger, if Swype and SwiftKey (which does sentence prediction) joined forces they would be unstoppable.

JNavas
04-05-2011, 8:35 AM
The example I run into the most is probably "good/God". I almost never type God(god), but I type good multiple times a day. But God always seems to beat good to the top of the list.
This case is more a matter of swyping style than word priority.
If you just trace over g-o-d, then you will get "god", as you should.
If instead you trace over g-[twice circle]o-d, then you should get "good".
The key there is the double loop around "o" instead of just tracing over it.
For more information, go to Swype Tips and Tricks (http://swypeinc.com/tips-tricks.html), and click on How to Swype double letters (http://swypeinc.com/video/double-letters.html).

JNavas
04-05-2011, 9:32 AM
People have been asking for an editable dictionary since Swype first came out. It single handedly hampers the application over time. The Admins continuously say... oh, well there is a new beta coming out soon, why don't you go check it out... its a really annoying tease and it has to stop. I can find posts back in the beginning of 2010 with people asking for this feature.
Agreed. Case in point is a post on 03-19-2011 (http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?2055-Please-address-urgent-serious-problem-of-crap-in-dictionary!&p=15140#post15140) (in a thread I started way back on 12-22-2010 (http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?2055-Please-address-urgent-serious-problem-of-crap-in-dictionary!) with a 12-0 vote in support) which said, "We MAY have some limited information coming on this Monday, but I always hate giving out specific times because features and programs almost always hit last minute delays in the software world." That was 2 weeks ago. :rolleyes: I've not been holding my breath. :p

But the good news is that the current Swype Beta for Android is greatly improved over prior releases, and the problem of crap in the dictionary is now more of an annoyance to me than a crisis, so I'm now willing to cut Swype some more slack on finally getting it completely fixed.

kchinger
04-06-2011, 11:47 AM
This case is more a matter of swyping style than word priority.
If you just trace over g-o-d, then you will get "god", as you should.
If instead you trace over g-[twice circle]o-d, then you should get "good".
The key there is the double loop around "o" instead of just tracing over it.
For more information, go to Swype Tips and Tricks (http://swypeinc.com/tips-tricks.html), and click on How to Swype double letters (http://swypeinc.com/video/double-letters.html).

Yeah, I realize that. But I do make the double circle thing and it still doesn't always work. Sure, I could probably be better at it, but the point is that if I was able to tweak the algorithm myself for those two words, so that even if it looks like I typed "God" it will give me good instead, I'd love that. If I actually meant to type "God" that 1% of the time, then I can pick it from the list.

hachamacha
04-13-2011, 8:28 AM
Just another supporter of this idea of an editable dictionary. HTC provides one for touch-input but it doesn't work with Swype. It needs to be unique to Swype anyway so that non-htc users can use it.

Cainxxx
06-23-2011, 8:14 AM
I'd love to answer your questions directly, but we're actually in the middle of development for several new features related to dictionary control. When things get closer to being finished I'll be able to tell you a little bit more about what we're doing and how we're doing it. Thanks for being patient!

Beta 3 is released and there is no news about this. Please raise the priority of the dictionary editor/export/import.

tjk.&roid
06-26-2011, 8:21 PM
yes please! honestly getting really annoyed when i get "baghadad" or "haddad" in place of "hahah" (that i've custom added). honestly don't know when i'm going to use haddad in a sentence and would love to be able to remove it from my dictionary so the mix-up is reduced.