PDA

View Full Version : Can't delete certain word, (editable dictionary availability)

JOe K.
10-25-2010, 8:50 AM
So far I am having a heck of a time deleting words. I can delete some but not others.

My current issue is with the word "ia" which is remarkably close to "is"

Why can't I delete this word but have been able to delete other words? Please, please, please for the love of god implement an editable dictionary. It seems so fundamental and seems like it would be easy to implement.

Is there plans for an editable dictionary? Is there an ETA on it? Why is there not currently one?

I love this program but it's missing a crucial feature and ruining the experience.

Please respond,
JOe K.

rob.boehm
10-25-2010, 6:07 PM
We're getting really close on rolling out another release. We're in the final internal QA stages. I can't put a date on it, I honestly don't know, but wait just a little longer and a lot of these phantom word problems should go away. As far as an editable dictionary, unfortunately we'll have to wait a bit longer.

michaeltanyk
11-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Robert, your new November 2010 beta release does not solve the issue... Once you use it enough, you'd realise that it's as broken as the Sept beta - hidden popup will appear, your contact list words will dominate all selection and you can't delete useless words they skimmed from your contact list.

It is now UNUSABLE AGAIN.

flashburn
11-19-2010, 9:44 AM
I am having this same issue and it is really annoying. I would like to be able to delete the entire user dictionary. Is there any way to do that?

rob.boehm
11-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Clearing Data from Swype through Android's Application Manager will in effect do this. However Swype will still pull words from your browser and search history which is where these unwanted words may be coming from so be sure to correct that before wiping Swype.

MrObvious
12-03-2010, 7:01 PM
Or just wipe your phone. :D

swtex1
12-04-2010, 5:03 PM
Joe k, I get "rfd" instead of the word "the" 50% of the time. Somebody help before I throw this (not cheap) Droid X out the window.

asilverpod
12-07-2010, 3:32 PM
Clearing Data from Swype through Android's Application Manager will in effect do this. However Swype will still pull words from your browser and search history which is where these unwanted words may be coming from so be sure to correct that before wiping Swype.

That's ok, Bob. We just want to put in our words, and better yet, give them preferred status. I have a custom.dic file that could be dropped in (I'm an engineer-lots of tech terms.) This is a lot faster than one corrected word at a time.

JNavas
12-10-2010, 6:40 PM
Clearing Data from Swype through Android's Application Manager will in effect do this.Unfortunately, while that will work for Swype preload, it will cripple Swype beta, apparently by wiping out language support. You'll have to reinstall to recover, making uninstall-reinstall the only real way to delete all learned words from Swype beta AFAIK.

IanS100
12-12-2010, 5:57 AM
Unfortunately, while that will work for Swype preload, it will cripple Swype beta, apparently by wiping out language support. You'll have to reinstall to recover, making uninstall-reinstall the only real way to delete all learned words from Swype beta AFAIK.

I found out the hard way that Clearing Data would cripple Swype so I won't be doing it again, it appears therefore that there is no easy way of clearing out the accumulated rubbish

robbski
12-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Just joined the forum today, because after owning a Droid X for 2 weeks, I'm really starting to get used to (and like) Swype, however it's pissing me off, at the same time! :) I can't believe you cannot get rid of words like 76ers, and 7-eleven!! What the heck? I want just the number 7! Or a number 2. NOT 2morow or 2nite! If only you could add or remove words from the "database", this Swype thing would seriously be the cat's a**. I really can't complain, though. It's not like I paid for Swype. It's extremely powerful, and I love it. I just wish things that make ZERO sense with it, could be fixed.

SiHaSi
12-21-2010, 12:55 AM
Just joined the forum today, because after owning a Droid X for 2 weeks, I'm really starting to get used to (and like) Swype, however it's pissing me off, at the same time! :) I can't believe you cannot get rid of words like 76ers, and 7-eleven!! What the heck? I want just the number 7! Or a number 2. NOT 2morow or 2nite! If only you could add or remove words from the "database", this Swype thing would seriously be the cat's a**. I really can't complain, though. It's not like I paid for Swype. It's extremely powerful, and I love it. I just wish things that make ZERO sense with it, could be fixed.

I joined the Beta when it was reopened last week. First impressions were great, it is so accurate it amazing.

But.

I agree, with the above. When I type '2' I want a '2', not 2moro. When I type '1' I want '1' not 10q. Please, please, get rid of all the fkn txt spk or make the dictionary editable. I would happily pay for Swype, but not until issues like this are sorted.

A button that could temporarily turn off prediction so that I could use it as a conventional 'tappy' keyboard for URL's & IP Addresses would be really useful too.

simonhudson
01-15-2011, 7:38 AM
I'm really starting to get used to (and like) Swype, however it's pissing me off, at the same time! :) I can't believe you cannot get rid of words like 76ers, and 7-eleven!! What the heck? I want just the number 7! Or a number 2. NOT 2morow or 2nite! If only you could add or remove words from the "database", this Swype thing would seriously be the cat's a**.

It's beginning to really annoy me too now - I love Swype and have recommended it - but it's really, REALLY annoying that some words can't be deleted - especially given that they aren't even English; '2morow' for heavens' sake - what is that? I guess it almost has a place in a text message, but what about the other 95% of the time when I'm actually typing something important.

'oI' is another favourite - I'd be somewhat happier to just have 'I', but to do that there would have to be a way of deleting 'oI' from the dictionary.

So Swype is currently extremely fast, but a lot of the time it's extremely fast at making up garbage that is then rather slow to edit out.

Come on guys - let's see a fix please

migr12858455
01-21-2011, 6:22 AM
I joined the Beta when it was reopened last week. First impressions were great, it is so accurate it amazing.

But.

I agree, with the above. When I type '2' I want a '2', not 2moro. When I type '1' I want '1' not 10q. Please, please, get rid of all the fkn txt spk or make the dictionary editable. I would happily pay for Swype, but not until issues like this are sorted.....

OMG, I thought it was just my dictionary. I just tried to type '1' and got 10q, double tapped it and tried to delete, it won't . It seems like numbers won't delete but I had some garbage value for 'you' that would always default and I was able to delete it. So I dont really get why some words can be deleted and some can't - unless it is only letting us delete the words we add? Did they really put 10q, 2morrow, 2nite in their dictionary?

Mike

mountainbikermark
01-22-2011, 6:25 PM
In your keypad touch the Swype key and slide up to the d,f,g key.
Turn off word prediction in the settings .
Hope that helps with the numbers errors. I hate it too but those helped me with numbers and Swype . I've switched to Ultra Keyboard as my most used because I got tired of all the bugs on Swype.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.