PDA

View Full Version : Support for easy language switching

jeremz
10-22-2010, 3:20 PM
would be a really helpful feature for those of us who frequently type in two languages. Would it be possible to have two dictionaries loaded at the same time such that it would recognize words in more than one language at a time? If not, a handy switch would really help out. Currently it is a really pain in the butt to change the language, so I tend to just type on the swype keyboard like it was the normal android keyboard in one language. Is this something others would find useful too? I love swype. It's clear you devs put an extraordinary amount of work into this.

craPkit
12-08-2010, 2:10 AM
I really gotta bump this request, since I'm constantly switching from german (SMS, mail) and english (web).

This is one of the two main reasons I still prefer ShapeWriter (which I installed during the time it was available on the market) over Swype, the other being the rather complicated method for adding edited or combined words in Swype. Haven't tried Swype's November release though.

To keep the UI uncluttered, I would recommend the way HTC_IME uses for switching languages: Disable all dictionaries you don't need, pick a (hardware) key for switching and get started.
For example, on HTC_IME I prefer the volume keys for switching languages. ShapeWriter even had a separate button for switching langs in a loop.

I'd really appreciate taking this into consideration.

Regards

brian.resnik
12-08-2010, 8:32 AM
Did you know that you can swype from the SWYPE key to the Q key to quickly switch between the 2 most recently used languages?