PDA

View Full Version : Can't disable n uninstall swype on N8

sabbyj
10-17-2010, 12:39 PM
I installed swype on my N8 from OVI store....
n its not for me, i was better off with d default keyboard, so now i want to get it back....
but as i try to disable swype, it asks me to reboot, but when i reboot, it is again enabled....n i cant even uninstall it without disabling it first, so i need some help here. :(

brian1
10-18-2010, 9:02 AM
Hi sabbyj,

Swype is only listed as available for the C7 in the OVI store. It is not yet available or supported on other Nokia model phones. Please let us know if you saw Swype when browsing the OVI store using your N8, that is an issue we would need to follow up on.

As far as we know, if Swype is installed on an N8 to mass memory, the only way to remove it is to do a hard reset of the phone to factory values. We will let you know if we learn of any other approach.

Good luck,
The Swype Team

brian1
10-18-2010, 4:33 PM
Hi sabbyj,

After further investigation Swype can be un-installed from the N8 without a hard reset if you:

1. Reboot the phone
2. Immediately go into Settings -> Application Manager -> Installed Apps
3. Choose to uninstall Swype
4. IGNORE the message stating you have to set Swype Input to NO in Swype Settings
5. Wait for the un-installation to complete.
6. Reboot the phone.
7. Swype will be un-installed and the default keyboard will be available.

Best,
The Swype Team

sabbyj
10-19-2010, 12:58 PM
I was able to see swype in the ovi store, through my phone, maybe it was because i was previously using my girlfriend's C7 with my ovi account, i logged into the ovi store using my account which i had used in C7, so as i was browsing through the applications, i saw Swype and went ahead and downloaded it.
And thanks for your work around, i actually tried a soft reset, from settings>phone>phone mngmnt>factory settings>restore......which brought the phone back to the factory settings, and Swype automatically disappeared from my phone. :)
I actually liked this app, but i usually type "Hindi" words using "English" alphabets, so the word's combos and suggestions weren't working out, that's why i wanted to go back to the default keyboard.
I hope you can sort out this issue :)
though that is just asking for too much, but still it would be great if it had support for more languages.

brian1
10-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the information, we're glad you were able to un-install Swype, and we hope you re-install it when it is available for your device. One thing to be aware of - you can add words to your Swype Custom User Dictionary which allows you to then enter those words by Swyping! Finally, we are working on supporting additional Symbian devices and adding more languages.

Best,
The Swype Team.

ramrao
11-09-2010, 4:15 AM
What are the issues that let you make a version available
for Symbian^3 on the Nokia C7, but not
for Symbian^3 on the Nokia N8 ?
Will somebody responsible tell me when I can have Swype on my Nokia N8 ?

ghotihed
11-12-2010, 2:06 AM
There was a bug fix created that fixed a Swype problem, but the N8 came out before that fix could be included. The C7, which came out a few weeks later, has that bug fix. So Swype needed to address their uninstallation a different way for the N8. It was felt that without this key ability to uninstall, it was best to not make it available.

However, the good news is that a new version is in the pipeline for Ovi Store behind a whole host of other, completely unrelated applications. As soon as it's Swype's turn in the queue, it should appear on Ovi Store.