PDA

View Full Version : Why Swype over SlideIT or Shapewriter

Darrell
10-17-2010, 8:25 AM
Why is Swype preferable over SlideIT or Shapewriter? SlideIT adds shortcuts, which Swype inexplicably doesn't have.

So, why Swype?

naratcliffe
10-18-2010, 9:39 AM
Because ShapeWriter has suspended downloads at the moment, too.

I'm telling you, none of these companies have any idea how to launch a damn product... seriously.

Darrell
11-06-2010, 7:13 AM
Because ShapeWriter has suspended downloads at the moment, too.

I'm telling you, none of these companies have any idea how to launch a damn product... seriously.Including Swype Inc., I'd say. The question still is, though, if access were easy for all of them, why would Swype be any better than the others?

umibuzu
11-14-2010, 1:59 PM
SlideIT is better, 'cause we can buy it on the market....

Ron Strong
12-10-2010, 11:47 AM
SlideIT is better because it works on my phone (SE X10 Minipro)

I've paid for it -waited ages for swype and then it doesn;t work - rubbish

JNavas
12-10-2010, 4:24 PM
Why is Swype preferable over SlideIT or Shapewriter? SlideIT adds shortcuts, which Swype inexplicably doesn't have.
So, why Swype?Because, despite its flaws, Swype works best, especially in terms of accuracy and speed.
2nd best IMHO is Ultra Keyboard.

Haywood
12-14-2010, 2:47 PM
ShapeWriter is dead (apparently) and SlideIt is a little on the expensive side considering Ultra Keyboard (UK) is ~$2.79. It is still a toss up for me between Swype and UK as there are things about UK I really miss when using Swype.

craPkit
12-20-2010, 3:47 AM
After a week of extensive testing, I deleted Swype in favour of ShapeWriter. The following are my major reasons:
. Adding new words by combination of existing (which is a must for German native speakers) or editing existing (which is a must for slang typing) are a pain in the neck with Swype. ShapeWriter shows and updates its suggestion list in real time, encloses new words in brackets and adds them to the user dictionary on click.
. Swype is about 11MB big, whereas ShapeWriter only has < 6MB. Well, I've got the HTC Desire, which has very little space for apps and I can't get used to the idea of loading an IM from SD.
. Bringing up the suggestion list takes ages in Swype. I didn't notice any other difference, regarding performance, though.
. You can't even delte words you add yourself in Swype. Faaaaiiiiil.

The only arguments I could find in favour of Swype are:
that Swype never crashed during my test phase, whereas ShapeWriter crashes up to 10 times a day
and that Swype has a much better (German) stock dictionary.

I'd stick with ShapeWriter, but, as some of you already mentioned, it's dead. For the moment I can live with recurring crashes and a relatively small dictionary, but I'd really like to see a version of Swype, which can compete feature-wise.

mountainbikermark
12-20-2010, 8:47 PM
I've got Slideit, Shapewriter, UltraKeyboard, Swype, Gingerbread,8pen and the Incredible stock.
My most accurate with sloppy slides is Slideit, my fastest at suggesting is Shapewriter, easiest to use is Ultra because I can customize it to fit me.
I'm trying real hard to like Swype but it's a day late imo.
I started using Slideit on my Omnia so I've been using it longest, Ultra the shortest.
I guess it's user defined as I'm not seeing the real increase in speed because Swype isn't intuitive to me, just kinda thrown together.I'm going to give it a month to try to figure out how to delete words from the dictionary as I've done exactly as instructed and the words won't delete.
I do really enjoy the looks of the newest update and the theme is much easier on my eyes than my previous version.
I don't want to seem ungrateful, I do appreciate all that ya'll are doing to keep improving it.

Support Our Troops!! written in some form from a wifi monolith.

henriquesp
12-22-2010, 4:37 AM
Regarding Shapewriter: it's not dead, as a product. The company was bought by Nuance and the product still exists as T9 trace:
http://www.nuance.com/for-business/by-product/t9-trace/index.htm
Whether they'll push it back to Android Market again or keep it in an OEM model only, only time will tell.

I've used a "pirate" version of Shapewriter for roughly 6 months now (I have a Nexus One).
Since it was an .apk I got over the internet, it didn't have any possibility of support/update nor getting Portuguese language pack (I'm Brazilian).
Even though, since I didn't have an option at the time, I started using it and inputed myself 95% of the portuguese words I'd use daily (during operation, i.e. after the first couple of months, ~5% of what I typed were new words). The major problem I had with shapewriter was with the recognition algorithm itself, I had to pretty much swype perfectly between the letters for it to recognize the correct word. It would get it wrong in 20~25% of the times (even though the selection of the correct word was 100x better than in Swype, since no popup was necessary).

In the last month of using Shapewriter, I tried out the free version of SlideIT. Lousy recognition algorithm, crappy portuguese dictionary etc. Deleted it 5 days after downloading.

Couple of weeks ago, I've received Swype and have used it so far.

Decision?
I've since deleted Shapewriter and 6 months worth of user dictionary entries for the portuguese words, and don't miss it at all.
The 3MB I saved were more valuable, given that I didn't need it at all since I got Swype. ;-)

I do expect that Nuance releases T9 Trace in the Android Market soon, a little competition is always good.
SlideIT is no match for Swype, and Swiftkey doesn't seem sexy to me.

creekdog
12-31-2010, 4:48 PM
Because, despite its flaws, Swype works best, especially in terms of accuracy and speed.
2nd best IMHO is Ultra Keyboard.

No, Swype doesn't work best because it doesn't work so frequently.

After my first attempt to install (well, multiple tries) it wouldn't install on my phone.

Weeks later, trying a different browser, it did install, ran once and now will only let me tap.

Back to SlideIT.

Yes, I would prefer Swype but it's just one thing after another with that program. I'm tired of being teased.

mountainbikermark
12-31-2010, 5:19 PM
I'm back to Ultra full time.
Swype is just too buggy and slow to recognize and insert the word.
I keep it on my phone hoping it will get better as I learn more tips on this forum but every time I learn something new I fire it up , try the new trick but overall it's buggy and slow, plus I can do a quick theme change on Ultra for bright light tracing vs half guessing on Swype in bright sunlight.

Support Our Troops!! written in some form from a wifi monolith.

AngryHatter
01-11-2011, 7:49 AM
...The only arguments I could find in favour of Swype are:
that Swype never crashed during my test phase, whereas ShapeWriter crashes up to 10 times a day
and that Swype has a much better (German) stock dictionary...

That is more than enough for me.
Crashes 10 times a day? 100% unacceptable.
I also like the man behind Swype and his motivation for producing this.

mountainbikermark
01-13-2011, 10:33 AM
SlideIT just released an update. Secondary keys amongst many other improvements

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk and Ultra Keyboard approved.

brian.resnik
01-18-2011, 6:31 PM
I want to point out that most people here are comparing a BETA level product (the installable Swype beta) against a GOLD release product (SlideIT on the Android Market). Comparing TEST-GRADE software with FULL RELEASE software isn't exactly a fair comparison, when it comes to crashing/compatibility etc.

That said, a couple of things:

To delete a word you've added from the dictionary - Highlight the word and tap the Swype key.
If you don't like the large filesize - We now have a micro version available that contains only English and Spanish (2.5mb)
If you're having trouble with the response time of Swype (slow) - Try adjusting the Speed vs Accuracy slider in Swype's settings, and make sure your device isn't bogged down with other background services. Because of the complexity of our prediction algorithm, Swype IS a bit more processor intensive than our competitors, but should be able to run just fine on the vast majority of devices. We have builds running on hardware that's several years old without a problem.

JNavas
01-19-2011, 7:49 AM
I want to point out that most people here are comparing a BETA level product (the installable Swype beta) against a GOLD release product (SlideIT on the Android Market). Comparing TEST-GRADE software with FULL RELEASE software isn't exactly a fair comparison, when it comes to crashing/compatibility etc.True, but I think much of the frustration here comes from longstanding issues raised by beta testers with no apparent progress, notably the pollution of the dictionary by automatic adding of garbage, and the lack of good ways to avoid and/or remove that garbage, an issue that also exists in "gold" versions of Sywpe.

To delete a word you've added from the dictionary - Highlight the word and tap the Swype key.We've not added that "word" (garbage), Swype added it, without asking us, which is part of the problem, and with all due respect, that's a painful, slow removal method only a parent could love. Other keyboards (e.g., Ultra Keyboard) are much better in this area.

If you don't like the large filesize - We now have a micro version available that contains only English and Spanish (2.5mb)News to me. Even though I subscribe to your news. How are we supposed to know that? How do we get it? Why doesn't the Installer automatically make that clear?

If you're having trouble with the response time of Swype (slow) - Try adjusting the Speed vs Accuracy slider in Swype's settings, and make sure your device isn't bogged down with other background services. Because of the complexity of our prediction algorithm, Swype IS a bit more processor intensive than our competitors, but should be able to run just fine on the vast majority of devices. We have builds running on hardware that's several years old without a problem.That you experts can tune Swype to work properly is small comfort to average folks. I would think default settings should work fine on my fast Nexus One, which is not bogged down with background apps, plus I have Swype prediction turned off, but there are still times when Swype freezes and I have to wait.

While I appreciate your frustration, please bear in mind that we're frustrated too -- we like Swype or we wouldn't be here giving you invaluable feedback, waiting and waiting for flaws we've long since reported to be addressed.

Swype should be listening carefully, taking reports seriously, working hard on making issues go away (prior to release to people less forgiving than us), and thanking us, not chiding us for doing what you've asked us to do.

Swype is a great product, but it still has some serious flaws, notable the dictionary pollution issue.

UPDATE: Opened Swype Installer, and it said an update was available. Why didn't it notify me automatically?! I updated it, but it didn't tell me about any "micro" version now available. I reopened it, and it got stuck on version checking. I finally reopened it again, and this time it worked normally, but still no info on the "micro" version. So I used Manage Applications to uninstall 10+ MB Swype, opened Swype Installer yet again, and it asked me for my Username and Password. Why doesn't it remember them?! Now I see the "micro" version available, installed it (cleaning my dictionary as well!), thanks! :)

mountainbikermark
01-20-2011, 4:18 AM
I want to point out that most people here are comparing a BETA level product (the installable Swype beta) against a GOLD release product (SlideIT on the Android Market). Comparing TEST-GRADE software with FULL RELEASE software isn't exactly a fair comparison, when it comes to crashing/compatibility etc.

That said, a couple of things:

To delete a word you've added from the dictionary - Highlight the word and tap the Swype key.
If you don't like the large filesize - We now have a micro version available that contains only English and Spanish (2.5mb)
If you're having trouble with the response time of Swype (slow) - Try adjusting the Speed vs Accuracy slider in Swype's settings, and make sure your device isn't bogged down with other background services. Because of the complexity of our prediction algorithm, Swype IS a bit more processor intensive than our competitors, but should be able to run just fine on the vast majority of devices. We have builds running on hardware that's several years old without a problem.
I'm not here to bash.
Swype has it's upside but while the same flaws persist other developers are passing by.
If you are releasing a "gold" version on oem, instead of releasing beta to the rest put a "gold" version on the market and do like Juice Defender and release a beta version along side it for those who want to help test it. I rarely use the terms fair and free in the same sentence but in this case I don't see it as fair to ask those who want your product but not on certain models only to be stuck with just the free beta version. I know I want a product that works and am willing to pay for it and if a buggy free version vs a paid bug free version are my choices (SlideIt and Ultra Keyboard) I'm buying the paid versions. I just don't have time to try the workarounds all the time.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.