PDA

View Full Version : can't delete custom words

jmontagu13
10-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Ever since the the first beta version that I downloaded months ago, I can't seem to be able to delete custom words. I'll highlight the word, tap the swype key and delete the word as it shows in the instructions. But, the next time I send an email or text, the words are all back. I've uninstalled and reinstalled more times than I can count. I've also used root explorer and deleted every file with the word swype in it, but after a reinstall, the custom words are still there. Please help!

rob.boehm
10-13-2010, 4:05 PM
This is known behavior of Swype at this moment. Swype is recreating these "words" from your contact list, facebook sync, etc... We know the dictionary needs a major overhaul and are working on it.

jmontagu13
10-13-2010, 4:18 PM
These words are actually words I put in at one point when I was first testing out swype. They won't delete though.

JOe K.
10-25-2010, 9:03 AM
Agreed. I have "ia" instead of "is" and nowhere in my Contacts nor Facebook do I have "ia"

jmontagu13
10-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Honestly, at this point, it's almost unusable. Here are a bunch of other examples that I can't get rid of:

yoy => you
ypu => you
fiure => for
habe => have

I guess since there is no way to delete these words, I'll look elsewhere for a swype type keyboard. Which sucks, because I've really liked swype and know I can't go back to a regular keyboard anymore.

I really can't believe no one knows of where a data file is stored that has these words. I've uninstalled the app and used root access to remove all mention of swype, but still nothing.

rob.boehm
10-25-2010, 5:04 PM
You can purge the dictionary if you want to by clearing cache. From the android home screen press the Menu button then Settings>Application Settings>Manage Applications>Swype>Clear Cache.

jmontagu13
11-04-2010, 9:37 PM
I've tried purging the cache, but that doesn't work. I've switched to SlideIt for now, although it pales in comparison to Swype. But, at least I can the word "you" again without having to correct it every single time.

I still just can't believe there isn't a way to wipe my phone clean of all Swype related files and start fresh, but apparently that isn't possible.

brian.resnik
11-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Hey folks, we've redone automatic word addition priorities, so that words added automatically don't override common words like "you" etc.

We'll be pushing out an update with this reworked feature soon. Additionally, you can completely start from scratch with Swype by going to Settings -> Applications -> All tab -> Swype -> Clear Data (not cache). This will reset Swype to defaults.

jmontagu13
11-05-2010, 5:36 AM
Thanks for the update, that's good to hear that an update will be coming to hopefully fix some of the issues.

As far as clearing the manually entered words, I've done the "Clear Data" numerous times, I uninstalled numerous times, I've used root access to remove any file with the word Swype in it and still these user entered words persist. The only thing I can think of is that I have some file still out there from an early beta that I've missed. I would rather not wipe my phone just to get Swype to work, but until those words are gone, it's unusable until the next release or a wiped phone.

IanS100
11-07-2010, 3:46 AM
Hey folks, we've redone automatic word addition priorities, so that words added automatically don't override common words like "you" etc.

We'll be pushing out an update with this reworked feature soon. Additionally, you can completely start from scratch with Swype by going to Settings -> Applications -> All tab -> Swype -> Clear Data (not cache). This will reset Swype to defaults.

I've just tried 'Clear Data' & Swype stopped working altogether & I needed to a complete uninstall/reinstall to get it working again!

It's not so much a change in priorities that's needed as an option to stop Swype scouring 'Contacts' for additional words & adding every postcode & misspelled word entered. Also, stop multiple copies of words being added, I've just had to go through the delete procedure up to 20 times in succession for various words & part postcodes before they were fully deleted, why is Swype adding dozens of copies of the same words etc?