PDA

View Full Version : Alternate keyboard layout

migr12602883
10-13-2010, 9:15 AM
I would love to see Swype with a layout similar to the Taptap keyboard, where the letters are in a hexagonal grid.

The wider characters would make single tapping easier while the vertically staggered characters would make word gestures more distinct from one another. For example, piety and pretty would no longer be the same gesture.

spbrereton
10-21-2010, 11:50 AM
I would love to see Swype with a layout similar to the Taptap keyboard, where the letters are in a hexagonal grid.

The wider characters would make single tapping easier while the vertically staggered characters would make word gestures more distinct from one another. For example, piety and pretty would no longer be the same gesture.

Yeah, I suggested this in the old forum and was told that the product team went with native QWERTY/AZERTY/QWERTZ layouts because they thought it would be less of a learning curve, but in reality an optimised layout that reduced the number of similar paths per language would have been better, a learning bump, but a richer experience for the end user after 20 minutes (which is about all it takes to learn a new layout).

When you think about it a totally unique keyboard layout is required. For example swyping not (a common word) in english frequently results in nit or nut (not so common). There are hundreds of examples.

bignirm
12-10-2010, 2:48 PM
i like the HTC EVO keyboard which includes arrow keys for simple correction and moving within words and sentences

Jackson Li LiangYao
04-25-2011, 4:02 AM
+1. Yes PLEASE! just remake the keyboard already. There's not much sense in using the QWERTY keyboards which were optimized for putting fingers near common letters (and also meant to SLOW YOU DOWN...) when Swype has special difficulty in understanding when we want "in/on/un" or "fur/fir/for" or "me/mr" which are really often used words, and especially irritating for users to correct with the slow delete button.

rob.boehm
04-30-2011, 9:12 AM
i like the HTC EVO keyboard which includes arrow keys for simple correction and moving within words and sentences

Swypeing from the swype key to the sym key brings up the edit layer which has the arrow keys.