PDA

View Full Version : I read before posting, but didn't help: "Swype is already installed... bla bla bla"

luisferfranco
10-07-2010, 8:11 AM
Honestly, I don't get why the people at Swype wants to make their registration process so "unique". It's a great piece of software? Yeah sure... so what?

I really loved swype since day one, had 2.1 and moved to 2.2 and it stopped working, lots of messages and "workarounds" had been written on those boards, but at least for me, doesn't work.

Since then I have tried other solutions, SlideIT a POS compared to Swype, so uninstalled... SwypeKey, well, I have already paid for their product. From time to time I come back to this site to see if they have finally managed their so unique-wonderful-high-technology-anty-piracy signup mess, all I got few months ago was the arrogant "read before posting".

If this is the kind of support you get while you're in a "controlled" beta, I don't want to see how things work in the full app.

brian.resnik
10-07-2010, 12:47 PM
luisferfranco,

First and foremost I'd like to just point out the fact that we have stated on numerous occasions that this beta is provide as-is, with no guarantees that it will work on your particular device or software configuration. We have made it very clear that Swype is designed from the ground up to be integrated very closely with the operating system (be it Android, Windows Mobile, Symbian or otherwise), and as such we make no guarantees that the beta - what we call a "reference build" - will operate as expected outside of these carefully integrated environments. This is one of the things that makes Swype different from other input method replacements, and is in our opinion a major plus for Swype when you experience it PreLoaded on a device in its full luster.

Secondarily, you were likely asked to "read before posting" because you didn't provide the information we need in order to offer you help (note: I explicitly do not use the term "support" here, because as I stated, the beta is unsupported and provided as-is). You have not provided the information we requested in this thread either, and so I must once again ask you to read the pertinent stickies and guides before posting. Without knowing what device you are using, what version of Swype you are trying to install, a detailed explanation of the problem you're experiencing, and possibly the debugging logs of your device during the time of the error, we cannot possibly know how to reproduce your issue on our end so that we can properly troubleshoot for you. Please do not just provide the things I listed. Go read the sticky threads! We have provided a very specific set of instructions on what information we need.

Third, and finally, I can tell you that our registration process has almost nothing to do with anti-piracy. One thing that we are aware of here at Swype is that piracy will continue whether we like it or not, no matter how hard we try to stop it. Rather, our "unique" registration process, as you put it, is meant to artificially limit the number of people involved in the beta process. Imagine, for a moment, if the beta were available for free, at all times, on the Android Market (despite the fact that this cannot happen, as it would put us in breach of several of our contracts). Anybody, whether they were aware of the inherent flaws in this BETA level software or not, would be able to download it, even if only to "check it out for a minute." This kind of ad-hoc trial destroys any attempts at statistical analysis and feedback quality verification we might try. Remember, this beta isn't just about "hey users, tell us what you think." We can get that from our OEM partners and our many, many Swype PreLoaded users without any need for a beta. This beta is about testing bleeding-edge features, generating valuable userbase statistics (like what percentage of users are on which devices), and giving a little something back to those community members who aren't in a position to get a device with Swype PreLoaded. We also hope that the beta will help create a community of constructive, helpful users who may do anything from sharing their ideas for future versions of Swype, to assisting other users who are having trouble.

I hope this clarifies our position for you, and gives you a better understanding of where we're coming from as a company in regards to the beta program. Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions if anything I've said is unclear.

Additionally, you are welcome to submit all the troubleshooting information we need as requested in this thread (http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?994-HOW-TO-READ-ME-FIRST-Get-BETA-for-Android-troubleshooting-help) and we'll try to help get Swype working for you.

luisferfranco
10-08-2010, 8:19 AM
What do I think about Swype?

It works great (when it worked) I mainly use the spanish dictionary and was more or less flawless, Swype beta was the ONLY keyboard I kept using. SwiftKey is pretty good, but not as near as Swype.

It is frustrating to have one thing working and then days later goes down.

About my phone: the very same as many here: Motorola ROI (mexican designation for original Droid), Sapphire 1.1.1, bla, bla, bla and the same problems lots of people have here.

I think I'll just wait until the production release, since I have no hope on the betas before that.

Thanks.