PDA

View Full Version : Better handling of "hidden words", custom dictionary listing and add blocked words

brainflakes
10-06-2010, 3:30 PM
Hey guys, I've been using Swype for a while and there's a few things around the custom dictionary and hidden words I think would improve the usability a lot.

At the moment the hidden word dialogue is extremely annoying. It pops up while you're typing and is completely useless as it just tells you the same fiddly manual procedure to delete a word every time.

I think a much better solution would be this - when you press the swype key to change a word, if the word was hidden by a custom word then have a little "word hidden" notification in the space around the word choice popup. If you press that notification THEN you get the hidden word dialogue, with a button on that dialogue to remove the word from your custom dictionary rather than having to highlight it in the text box.

To take the custom dictionary functionality even further I think the following would be nice -

The ability to list, add and remove all the custom words in your dictionary, and the ability to set words as "blocked" so they never appear as the first word choice. This way if there's a particular word you never use but comes up often (for example my phone often gets "thee" instead of "the") you can disable it from being a first choice word.

Apart from that Swype's been great, thanks for the great work!

krist0ph3r
10-06-2010, 9:40 PM
I agree with all the suggestions above.

I also suggest treating custom words on par with regular words, so that they don't HAVE to appear at the top of the list. words should be sorted by probability and then frequency of use.

Also, there should be an option to enable/disable automatic importing names etc from my address book. Some people may want it, but i don't. (I'm in India, and i don't type names very often, but Indian names often block out English words that I do type very often)

mickwheeler
10-07-2010, 1:13 PM
In support (and agreement) with the above posts, the Hidden Words Dialogue is both annoying and useless.

Notification of hidden words is essential, but please give me the option of removing the word in the notification. Being forced to hide/acknowledge the dialogue box, then highlight the word, then delete it manually is worse than annoying. Either I'm forced to stop in the middle of whatever I'm typing, which derails my train of thought... or I can try to remember the word I need to delete after I'm finished typing, which is not likely.

Regardless of the solution and whether the ideas mentioned above are implemented in future releases... please give us the option of seeing all the hidden words in a given message at the end, the option of removing the word immediately or turning off the hidden word notification.

As most of my hidden words are a result of names in my contact list, mistyped words from previous entries or special words... it would make sense to have the ability to remove all contacts, misspellings and special words from the Swype dictionary (either selectively by category, by word or en masse).

brian.resnik
11-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Hey folks,

I'd like to direct you to the following thread where this topic has already been discussed and addressed: http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?1233-quot-Hidden-Word-quot-Tip-Notification&goto=newpost

Thanks!