PDA

View Full Version : Swype as only a portrait keyboard

anonymous
02-08-2010, 3:27 PM
I would like to suggest the option to only use Swype in portrait mode, I like my standard keyboard very much for longer email messages. I also find that the Swype keyboard in landscape almost seems too long on a larger screen device. I personally think that Swype is best used by one hand, and I think landscape is best for two thumb typing.

migr1586866
02-08-2010, 6:29 PM
Thanks for your suggestion!

migr3998571
02-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Just a tip, if your device supports multitouch you can use both your thumbs to swype the one word.

migr4066981
02-12-2010, 12:41 AM
This is something I've been hoping for as well since Swype is so much better than stock in portrait mode. Let's hope this is something that can be implemented.

migr12753371
07-08-2010, 5:08 PM
@MaFi0s0: could you explain that better, or perhaps post a video? I've tried using my Droid Incredible (with multitouch) and Swype in landscape mode and all I get are garbled words...

migr3998571
07-08-2010, 6:58 PM
@Strygun For example, if you want to type "hello"
swype HE with left thumb, and keep it held down on E without releasing yet
swype LLO releasing your left thumb from E only once your right thumb touches L.

to write "Example"
left thumb swypes EXA, and is held down on A
swype MPL with your right thumb and while doing this release left thumb from A
(note this can be done as you are swyping M, P or L, whats important is its released AFTER you press M and before you release from L)
keep right thumb on L as you press E
release right thumb from L, THEN release left thumb from E.

Hopefully I explained it well enough if not I can make something for youtube when I get the chance.

It has the possibility to be the fastest way to swype.
It makes best use of the trail lines as you will know when you mess up if its a touchscreen calibration issue or user error.

migr12753371
07-08-2010, 7:01 PM
@MaFi0s0 Thanks for the response. I understand your instructions and can do it on simpler words like "hello" and "example", but using it in the context of longer sentences almost always produces garbage or lots of "word correction" windows. Would you mind doing a youtube video to better explain? Basically what I'm saying is - I can do it very slowly, when I'm concentrating on each word. But otherwise, when I try to speed up, I lose accuracy by about 90%.

migr3998571
07-08-2010, 8:01 PM
@Strygun well it doesnt sound like a touchscreen issue, keep in mind this isnt a substitute for normal swyping for everyone and myself included. So try not to compare it to portrait.
The bigger the screen the more multitouch swyping becomes a benefit over standard swyping when using landscape, as swyping around for me with 1 finger in landscape I find has too much travel.
But I still believe this has higher potential for people who can pull it off, for example I type on a keyboard with only 6 fingers, good typists use all 8.
I am sure some people out there can swype multitouch in landscape with both thu,bs faster than the fastest person can swype with 1 finger in portrait or tap type in landscape provided the touchscreen sensors keep up.

NJC
08-19-2010, 1:01 AM
This would be a super-slick, awesome addition. I can't do this right now, so I never use my X in landscape. The status is "declined"--can an admin please let us know why it was declined?

markstevens20
10-15-2010, 7:11 AM
I would suggest that the swype keyboard always be presented in portrait mode's size, shape, and aspect ratio, even in landscape mode. Also use this small size for tablets. The less travel, the better. Maybe even a smaller footprint than is currently used for portrait would be even better. Have any experiments been done to see what happens with smaller Swype keyboards?

pjduncan
10-27-2010, 5:45 PM
Swype'ing itself is so easy to learn. The method of two thumb entry is fighting against years of thumb typing muscle memory. It is very hard to NOT lift one thumb before placing down the other since this is what we do in standard thumb typing.

I don't think I'd ever want to spend the necessary time to build my speed up from painfully slow to marginally acceptable and finally fast... if that is even possible. I think I might be able to come up to speed quicker if one left both thumbs on the screen once each was down until the end of the word when both would be lifted.

But I agree that the best method might be an option to revert to the phones default landscape keyboard for the old fashioned version of two thumb typing.

kanirish
12-08-2010, 10:39 PM
I would also like to see a portrait only Swype mode. I think that typing with one thumb in portrait is new (and awkward) enough of a skill to warrant the need for a program like Swype. However, I am just far too used to typing with two thumbs in landscape and I like Android's stock keyboard. I think more people would be open to using Swype permanently if it had an option to not alter their keyboard in landscape mode. This way, they (and I) would have their preferable typing experience no matter the orientation of the phone.

ShaqDaddy
07-23-2011, 3:26 PM
I use the Keyboard Manager app on my wildfire and it lets me set Swype as my default portrait keyboard and the standard HTC input as my horizontal keyboard.