PDA

View Full Version : Can't Uninstall 1.64.40.9380 to upgrade!

Bogus Exception
10-05-2010, 6:03 AM
Droid X
2.3.15.MB810.Verizon.en.US

Try to uninstall Swype via Settings, and do a "Force stop", but "Uninstall" is hashed out... I then try Quick Uninstaller, and it's not there!

Swype keeps restarting, even though it is no longer chosen as preferred input method in Settings, and the "Uninstall" button is never available...

If I then install the new Swype Installer, I get "Download of package failed. Swype is already installed. Please uninstall and try again."

Any ideas?

TIA!

pat
:)

Bogus Exception
10-05-2010, 1:07 PM
Also, the remedy instructions are written for someone who has rooted their phone (i.e. swapper 2), and not for a normal user. I certainly tried them prior to posting above, but the results are as you see them.

Would be nice to be able to upgrade >1.2, as I see the release for Froyo is done and out...

:(

brian.resnik
10-05-2010, 5:32 PM
Hi Bogus,

Since Swype came PreLoaded on your Droid X, you cannot uninstall it. Swype PreLoaded and Swype BETA are NOT compatible. This extends to the OS as well. Even if you had ROOT and physically removed the Swype PreLoaded APK from the system partition, Swype BETA would have SERIOUS problems (because there are OS-level changes for PreLoaded that would conflict with the beta).

Hope that clarifies things!

Bogus Exception
10-05-2010, 6:20 PM
Brian,

Thank you very much for replying. You now make me doubt that I am in right forum! :) I don't think my Droid X came with Swype pre-installed. I've had my Droid it since right after it came out, and just recently upgraded to Froyo 2.2. I signed up for the beta program on this site a month or so ago.

But ok, let's say you're right. :) Am I on the latest version of Swype I can be, given my situation?

After this, I'll leave the forum, as I understand that I may not qualify, as you think I had Swype pre-installed.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

pat
:)

brian.resnik
10-07-2010, 1:45 PM
Hey Pat,

Whether you're a Swype PreLoaded user or not, you're always welcome on our forums! Sorry if I came off a little cold. Darn text, not showing my facial expressions, heh.

Swype is included on all Droid X devices from Verizon, so you've definitely had Swype installed from the moment you got it at the store. Additionally, you received an update to Swype recently (you should have a pretty white/black/grey skin to match your Droid X's system theme, among other things) when you got an OTA system update from Verizon to go from Android 2.1 to 2.2.

So long as you are running the latest Over the Air System Updates from Verizon, you're using the latest version of Swype that you can get for your Droid X.

Hope that helps!

Bogus Exception
10-07-2010, 2:33 PM
Brian,

Thanks for the clarification. I am therefore posting/commenting in/on the wrong forum, then.

Sorry for not knowing more about what was on my phone.

I extole the benefits of swype and demo it whenever I can.

All the best!