PDA

View Full Version : Swype no longer "swypes" after reboot

sjpagano
10-04-2010, 2:16 PM
I've had this happen twice now.

Phone: Samsung Moment
Swype: (Sept 2010)

I completely removed swype, installed the installer, then allowed it to download. It works fine for a while, but as soon as I reboot, it no longer "swypes". I've gone through the steps of uninstalling, and reinstalling, and it works again until reboot.

Any ideas?

kcb3rd
10-05-2010, 1:41 PM
My phone does the same thing from time to time. What I do is go to 'TaskKiller' ( the app. I installed from the Android market) and force kill SWYPE. Then, I go back to using SWYPE and it works. A pain sometimes but SWYPE is great and it was free so I'm OK with the occasional extra step.

LegalAdmin
10-05-2010, 2:51 PM
I've had this very same issue. It's only happened on the past two beta releases.

I've found that if I switch from Swype to the native "Touch" interface and then back again Swype works again. VERY annoying work around, but it works for me.

sjpagano
10-05-2010, 4:02 PM
I tried using the task killer to FC. That worked.

Is this a known bug? I just added Swype to the auto-kill feature on my task killer.

rob.boehm
10-05-2010, 6:44 PM
I've had this happen twice now.

Phone: Samsung Moment
Swype: (Sept 2010)

I completely removed swype, installed the installer, then allowed it to download. It works fine for a while, but as soon as I reboot, it no longer "swypes". I've gone through the steps of uninstalling, and reinstalling, and it works again until reboot.

Any ideas?

Excellent work sjpagano! I've been reviewing this for the past two days. Trying to find commonality. It's on my list of things to do tonight on recording what devices this has occurred on, what OS, and whether people are able to restart. Need to get to the bottom of it, but just wanted to highlight this for everybody else having this problem. Seams to be a pretty solid work around.

kcb3rd
10-05-2010, 7:54 PM
Glad that worked sjpagano. I have the Moment also. There is nothing I know of that disables SWYPE, it just happens.

rob.boehm
10-05-2010, 8:06 PM
I found it peculiar that a few people reported this happening after a reboot. However it seams that this is a known bug requiring Swype to be simply restarted. The easiest way to do this is to long press on an input field, switch the input method to the default keyboard, then switch it back to Swype.

The original post can be found here: http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?46-Swype-will-not-input-words-when-tracing-only-responds-to-hunt-peck-like-original-keyboard&highlight=swype+stops+swyping

lostrebel
10-11-2010, 3:34 PM
For those that are having problems with Swype not working in 'swype' mode after reboot, are you running some kind of swap file program like swapper? I had this problem with the latest cyanogenmod build on the Tmo MT3G, and installed swapper at the behest of this site in order to get it to install correctly, but had this issue. Once I uninstalled swapper, the problem went away.
Just an observation that may or may not help.

rob.boehm
10-11-2010, 5:40 PM
For those that are having problems with Swype not working in 'swype' mode after reboot, are you running some kind of swap file program like swapper? I had this problem with the latest cyanogenmod build on the Tmo MT3G, and installed swapper at the behest of this site in order to get it to install correctly, but had this issue. Once I uninstalled swapper, the problem went away.
Just an observation that may or may not help.Great post lostrebel. If anybody else notices this behavior please let us know!

englandlej
10-14-2010, 8:17 AM
I have an htc evo, and swype no longer swypes after a reboot. Doing the uninstall/re-install a number of times (which is a pain), I have gotten to the point of uninstalling and got stuck. The error msg now reads "The ID of this phone does not match your registration at beta.swype.com." Any ideas? This is the same phone. Same id.

rob.boehm
10-15-2010, 11:22 AM
I have an htc evo, and swype no longer swypes after a reboot. Doing the uninstall/re-install a number of times (which is a pain), I have gotten to the point of uninstalling and got stuck. The error msg now reads "The ID of this phone does not match your registration at beta.swype.com." Any ideas? This is the same phone. Same id.This is a known issue with the reinstallation processes with the beta installer. Please review this thread: http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?993-KNOWN-BETA-for-Android-ISSUES-Please-read-before-posting-(UPDATE-9-23-10)