PDA

View Full Version : Usage learning (or dictionary editing)

jmarkh10
10-04-2010, 6:27 AM
What I would prefer instead of dictionary editing capabilities is for swype to learn words I'm more likely to say. So say some day I will need to say "plasma" in a text message, until that day, it shouldn't get in the way of the word "plans" something I'm far more likely to say.

If this is too much, the ability to edit the dictionary would be fantastic.

bignirm
12-10-2010, 2:56 PM
a setting to define how many times you have to use a word before it's learned would be helpful and whether you want learned words to become defaults or always featured at the bottom of the suggestion list

also, word prediction is annoying when you are typing numbers which i repeat a lot less or "a" and "I", having a setting to tell you the number of characters to wait before you predict would also be helpful.

HippoMan
12-17-2010, 9:44 AM
I also would like some kind of learning capability, so that frequently entered words get some kind of increased priority.

For example, swyping to get the word "for" seems to give me "four" most of the time. The thing is, I never (ever, ever, ever, ever!) want the word "four". To save characters, I always use the number "4". Given that I have have changed "four" to "for" hundreds of times by now, I would like to see Swype somehow get the message that "for" is much more highly preferred than "four".

Keep in mind that this is just an example. I encounter this behavior with many other words, as well.

This kind of thing could be easily implemented by keeping track of the number of times a word is selected, and using that usage count within the word-selection algorithms.

BrockAtkinson
12-18-2010, 7:31 PM
From what I've noticed in the latest update, it actually changes previous words contextually, if it doesn't make sense. It kind of does what you're saying, except autonomously.

However, it must use some fairly rigorous natural language processing to figure that out. Either way, let me know if it's working better for you.

Btw I just tried out the latest update on my phone and am finding it very difficult to get 'four' instead of 'for'.