PDA

View Full Version : Non-existant words in dictionary

simonblackley
10-03-2010, 9:04 AM
There is something very wrong with the Swype dictionary since the September beta update.

Often, when I Swype the common word 'an' I get 'afn' and 'afb' above 'an' in the pop-up list, even these are not English words. If I Swype in 'afn' or 'afb' and try to delete them by selecting and tapping the Swype key, I cannot do so - both words seem to be built in! The word 'an', on the other hand, can be deleted. Swype has even suggested to me that I might like to delete 'an' from the dictionary because it is 'hiding' 'afn' or 'afb'.

Second point, I notice that strange words exist in the dictionary 'K.d.lang' is an example I noticed today. I have never Swyped this word in my life, but it cannot be deleted from my dictionary.

In sum, it feels as if I have somehow got someone else's dictionary instead of my own. Weird and very annoying.

murfman519
10-03-2010, 2:45 PM
I have deleted the word yuio everyday but it keeps showing up

rwjack
10-06-2010, 10:09 AM
I have experienced many "non-words" too.
HTC Magic (MyTouch 3G)

spbrereton
10-06-2010, 11:09 AM
There is something very wrong with the Swype dictionary since the September beta update.

Often, when I Swype the common word 'an' I get 'afn' and 'afb' above 'an' in the pop-up list, even these are not English words. If I Swype in 'afn' or 'afb' and try to delete them by selecting and tapping the Swype key, I cannot do so - both words seem to be built in! The word 'an', on the other hand, can be deleted. Swype has even suggested to me that I might like to delete 'an' from the dictionary because it is 'hiding' 'afn' or 'afb'.

Second point, I notice that strange words exist in the dictionary 'K.d.lang' is an example I noticed today. I have never Swyped this word in my life, but it cannot be deleted from my dictionary.

In sum, it feels as if I have somehow got someone else's dictionary instead of my own. Weird and very annoying.

BUMP.

I've noticed this too. Personally, my biggest annoyance is with the word I'm. I'm has been deleted and replaced with i'm - and no matter how many times I try to remove i'm and I'm, i'm is still there. And it's annoying, because this auto-capitalisation was one of the features I most enjoyed about swype.

krist0ph3r
10-06-2010, 10:49 PM
I've noticed that some of the words added to the custom dictionary are names from my address book, minus the first or last letter. for example, if there's a cheryl in my address book, i might find "heryl" or "chery" in my dictionary. doesn't explain all the weird words though (i have words like "L(B" show up!).

Also, swype adds all names from my address book to the custom dictionary, but some these names from the dictionary can be deleted (by select word + option key), while others cannot.

rob.boehm
10-09-2010, 8:01 PM
Just FYI, we may be receiving an update regarding these problems "shortly". Brian's word is more official than mine so you can check his out here: http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?1204-Is-it-just-me-or-Swype-September-Update-is-not-as-accurate-as-previous&p=7717#post7717

Nephera
03-04-2011, 7:12 AM
I'm infuriated by the fact that I can't get "can" to ever show up. It always shows up as "csn"....I have to fix it every time!

brownbat
03-04-2011, 10:48 AM
I always get "knorr" instead of "know."

So I'm probably underswyping that last line to the 'w', so it doesn't predict that I abbreviated that last swype.

Also, it believes "knorr" is a real word.

My other problem is a polluted user defined dictionary with words I don't believe I've typed.

This could be mitigated very easily if when that hidden word dialog popped up, there was a button available to delete that word right then without having to click ok, then rehighlight, then swype key, then confirm.

Also, another way to export and trim the dictionary manually would be nice. Maybe hard lock on keeping certain words from entering the dictionary, force yourself to always type 'cfn' if you use it as an abbreviation or something.